The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jmcc on January 10, 2006, 06:06:43 am

Title: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: jmcc on January 10, 2006, 06:06:43 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01102006
I don't mind when people discuss revolting matters with me, but I don't understand their mindset in doing it.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: AugustWest on January 10, 2006, 06:30:41 am
Beef's reaction is entirely proper.

And so is Ray's.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: MattFish on January 10, 2006, 07:02:35 am
Isn't it usually proper to not title the thread with the alt-text? Can we call it "wet pile of pink marshmallows" instead?

Ray on the computer usually equals dialogue that doesn't make a whole lot of sense
Title: Jan 10 2006 - BEEF! YOU HEAR ME?
Post by: Noah on January 10, 2006, 07:43:17 am
heh! (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01102006) i hate it it when people show me gruesome things! it's like "the whole point of it being gruesome is that it's unpleasant to see! why would you want to see something upleasant!" you know?
Title: Re: Jan 10 2006 - BEEF! YOU HEAR ME?
Post by: robot_god on January 10, 2006, 10:00:58 am
omgggggggggggg In this strip, Ray was probably the Ray-i-est of all time.  I liked it alot.

Except I don't like that panel where Beef is rolling his eyes.

But then again, I just remembered. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10242002)

Man, nevermind.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: misterqueue on January 10, 2006, 11:13:40 am
Posting here since this was posted first.  Some people should check before double posting I suspect. 

And alt text is fine for a title, even if wet pile of pink marshmallows is good imagery.

I found this one to be exactly in Ray and Beef's particular idiom so to speak, but strangely don't have much to say about it other than that.  So I guess that's good that they are how I would expect them?  I do not know.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: sam_spade on January 10, 2006, 01:05:46 pm
I have a guy at work who likes visiting all these "funny video" web sites. He used to send links around to such clips as "Car Sliding Backwards Downhill Thanks To Faulty Brakes" and "Four Black Men Wailing On An Asian". It's not like I started actively disliking the guy just on the basis of videos, but these things pile up.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Roger on January 10, 2006, 01:17:47 pm
Membership agreement to what??
The Gruesome Photo of the Day Club?
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2006, 01:53:17 pm
This is the correct thread title.  Even though I never read the Da Vinci code, so I don't know if it makes any particular sense.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: AugustWest on January 10, 2006, 02:12:50 pm
Merged.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: V-Adore on January 10, 2006, 05:02:06 pm
Membership agreement to what??
The Gruesome Photo of the Day Club?

That is all kinds of sinister, yeah, as is the "something's happening here" of the last panel. Beef's silent reactions and eventual departure are the best, though. He knows full well that Ray won't take no for an answer, so why bother?

(You know Ray is one of those guys who says things like "hey, I think this milk went bad! Taste it for me, would you?")
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Biz Markizzle on January 10, 2006, 05:30:27 pm
I see what you are saying V-Adizzle but I'm not sure the milk analogy really works, on account of Ray genuinely thinks this picture is cool. No one thinks bad milk is cool. He likes/is intrigued by this picture and wants his friend to share the experience of viewing, to the point that he even offers to just describe it (we all know he is too clueless to realize that Beef just doesn't care; he just thinks Beef is too busy to come see, and so wants to do him a favor). What I'm saying is that this strip is about friendship. I like looking at friendship, in a comic!

Biz
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Shii on January 10, 2006, 05:32:59 pm
I have a guy at work who likes visiting all these "funny video" web sites. He used to send links around to such clips as "Car Sliding Backwards Downhill Thanks To Faulty Brakes" and "Four Black Men Wailing On An Asian". It's not like I started actively disliking the guy just on the basis of videos, but these things pile up.
Yes, this sort of thing happens all too often in my house. I like how Beef is just sitting there reading a book. He's not sharing his book with anyone.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Roger on January 10, 2006, 05:44:41 pm
That is all kinds of sinister, yeah, as is the "something's happening here" of the last panel.

I think the "something's happening here" is Ray realizing he's having a sudden surge of inspiration. There are times when you just can't control the flow of creativity, you know, unless you are wearing one of those crude, embarrassing undergarments.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2006, 05:49:39 pm
Panels 4 and 11 rule.

Next Ray sends Beef some avi's of stick figures kung-fu fighting.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: jough on January 10, 2006, 05:55:54 pm
Merged.

Oh man, AugustWest just moderated the HELL out of these threads.  Is this the first time two threads were merged on TOUAMB?  I think so.

Anyway, this one isn't really all that funny, but it's very much in character for Ray.  This one isn't very visual so it was good thinking to just show Beef getting more annoyed, since the strip was mostly just about Ray going on and on about some gruesome photo that he wanted Beef to see - people do this to me all the dang time, gruesome or otherwise.  "OH, man, you have to come see this!" So I walk over, look at their screen, and I think a little less of them because of what amuses them.  "Ah, you're looking at a puppy stuck in a basketball hoop.  Thrilling."

Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: AugustWest on January 10, 2006, 06:21:26 pm
Oh man, AugustWest just moderated the HELL out of these threads.  Is this the first time two threads were merged on TOUAMB?  I think so.

I try to be a trendsetter.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2006, 06:40:30 pm
I'm pretty sure the previous board lacked Mergability. WTG Simple Machines. Way to kick phpBB's ass. If only we could have "Mark Unread" and "Add Poll" buttons.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 10, 2006, 07:09:31 pm
I'm pretty sure the previous board lacked Mergability. WTG Simple Machines. Way to kick phpBB's ass. If only we could have "Mark Unread" and "Add Poll" buttons.

Is the reason 'add poll' isn't at the top due to a limit of 5 buttons? 'add poll' and 'mark unread' are interchanged in the top and bottom right hand button sets.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: pmcd9 on January 11, 2006, 12:16:55 am
I try to be a trendsetter.

He knows he better step up his game because I'm a moderator now.

~Paul
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: AugustWest on January 11, 2006, 03:25:07 am
He knows he better step up his game because I'm a moderator now.

~Paul

Are you threatening me?

/Beavis
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: side_show on January 11, 2006, 04:27:59 am
I think that this strip raises an important point about the internet.

See, to me the internet is basically good for four things:

1) Porno
2) Research/Communication
3) Looking at images of the disgusting - more specifically things that are usually blurred out in all other media
4) A small category of "other" diversions

When I've enjoyed unfettered access in my own private home, after years of access at work, the two things I went totally wild for where 1 & 3, and often the two merge together a la www.consumtionjuction.com (http://www.consumtionjuction.com).  A few days ago, my SO was revelling in number 3, specifically in a site about people who fetishize overeating to scary extremes, and he really really wanted to show me, and it was very much like the strip.  I didn't want to come over, but he so earnestly wanted to show me the picture of the guy who gets his pleasure by eating multiple buckets of chicken.  See, I've grown weary of the disgusting - I'm not any more or less grossed out by it, but I no longer have that urge to look at the sick side of things.  Or do I?  See, just writting this makes me want to pay a visit to www.rotten.com (http://www.rotten.com).

Whatever.

It's internet malaise - you can look at images of whatever you like - if you can be bothered to try, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered....

...Oh! Celebrity death morgue!  Cool!
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Shii on January 11, 2006, 04:57:13 am
Yesterday I stumbled upon goatse and I laughed. It was just so quaint!
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Doc on January 11, 2006, 01:33:57 pm
Is it even possible to 'stumble' across goatse anymore? Don't they give you a big warning about that and tubgirl when you sign up with your isp these days?
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Hobot on January 11, 2006, 06:06:45 pm
More merging of side_show's 1 & 3: pornornot.net (http://www.pornornot.net/).  This site was created by a friend of a friend; the objective is to rate images on the site as to whether they are pornographic or not -- hence the site name.

And this (http://www.pornornot.net/view/70) is my favourite image of all.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 11, 2006, 06:40:25 pm
And this (http://www.pornornot.net/view/70) is my favourite image of all.

Um.

How would Carolus Linnaeus classify that particular fetish, I wonder?
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Pedro Picasso on January 11, 2006, 09:25:25 pm
This is the correct thread title.  Even though I never read the Da Vinci code, so I don't know if it makes any particular sense.
The novel begins with a man who has just been shot in the guts Nice Pete-ing himself with a knife in order to create a puzzle about as interesting as a weekday newspaper jumble.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: wombat on January 11, 2006, 10:22:38 pm
The novel begins with a man who has just been shot in the guts Nice Pete-ing himself with a knife in order to create a puzzle about as interesting as a weekday newspaper jumble.

Ah, education.
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: V-Adore on January 12, 2006, 12:03:54 am
More merging of side_show's 1 & 3: pornornot.net (http://www.pornornot.net/).  This site was created by a friend of a friend; the objective is to rate images on the site as to whether they are pornographic or not -- hence the site name.

And this (http://www.pornornot.net/view/70) is my favourite image of all.

I love this concept, because if there's one thing the Internet has given the world, it's fetish pornography so obscure, weird, or poorly-executed that you have no idea whether anyone would actually be sexually attracted to it. Thank God we have something to unobscure these things!
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 12, 2006, 01:36:03 pm
Mom? Dad? is that you?
Title: Re: Jan. 10, 2006 - How the Da Vinci Code came into being
Post by: Mantonio on January 12, 2006, 02:37:29 pm
Um.

How would Carolus Linnaeus classify that particular fetish, I wonder?

Fuck! If only I hadn't been born, then I wouldn't have clicked that link. Fuck you, God!