The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: theinevitable on January 16, 2006, 05:53:39 am
-
I got into college. Washington University is St Louis. It's an incredible school, and the people are awesome, and St Louis is awesome.
Has anyone ever lived there? Or been there? Any suggestions of what to check out, or anything?
I am hell of excited.
-
My friend almost went there. That's a nice school. Congratulations. You should be excited.
I don't have any advice for st louis, I'm afraid it's outside of california, and therefore, does not exist.
-
I live in STL, and I am from here originally. I've moved in and out of the city a couple times.
It's a fine town, but it's a big town that thinks it's a small town. There's this whole inferiority complex thing happening. But congrats on Wash U.
Sooo... yeah, whaddaya wanna know?
-
Similarly, I lived in St. Louis for the entire duration of my youth (and still go back fairly frequently), and can attest to a lot of St. Louis' awesomeness. Also, Wash U is an excellent school, congratulations. I know many people who go/went there, and nearly everyone loves/d it.
Anyway, good choice, and if you have any specific questions, let me know.
-
I went to Wash U. through the first semester of my Junior year. It's an excellent school.
My wife is from STL and all my in-laws are there. We are there several times a year. STL is a great city with lots of interesting stuff to do.
-
My only advice as a university grad is to go about doing as much damage as possible to your body now, when the getting is good. This is the only time in your life where you will have free alcohol and illegal substances offered to you in vast array. Honestly man, most people who get university/college degrees are amazed that they even survived, never mind graduated. My best friend and I were looking back and laughing a few days ago - "We made it through! Without criminal records or killing ourselves or others!" "Damn, we're so lucky." It all boils down to luck.
-
Congratulations! I don't have any concrete advice on WashU, but I've heard it's a good school. My advice on college can be boiled down to two points:
* Plan ahead. Nothing sucks worse than ending up in academic hell due to spending insufficient time planning your course path. This goes double if you already now what you're majoring in; use all the advising your school offers.
* Join some clubs. You'll meet cool people whom you'll already have something in common with.
-
Man, I loved college. It's always so easy to get laid, you have no real responsibilities, there are parties happening every weekend to which you can easily be invited, the booze (well, beer anyway) runs free, and there are clubs you can join, eventually become an officer, and totally abuse your budget. Make sure to pack plenty of DVDs. You'll need them.
Oh, also, learning about stuff is cool too. Make sure to keep on top of your schoolwork so no one gives you a hard time about the other stuff.
So congratulations. Let the mayhem commence.
-
I'm going to stop reading this thread and being reminded of how I wasted my youth.
But a note before I go: If you leave town, be prepared for everyone to be confused when you tell them where you went to school, unless you always add "in St Louis."
-
so yeah, basically:
cool music venues?
good comic book stores?
good record stores (other than that one on "The Loop", which was pretty awesome. And cheap, if I remember correctly)?
Also: ewww. Substance abuse? ewww. I simultaneously fear and loathe substance usage.
-
Music Venues in St. Louis: Read the Riverfront Times (http://www.riverfronttimes.com).
I haven't been to a concert there in a few years, but Mississippi Nights, Cicero's, The Galaxy, The High Pointe, and a few others stand out as having been the hosts of some awesome shows.
Comic stores: Sorry, can't help.
Record Stores: Vintage Vinyl is clearly the best. Streetside records, just down the block, is OK. Euclid records is also pretty good.
I'd be a much better resource for where to eat and drink, but these may be helpful.
-
I can't be much help re: music venues and such because I left STL in 1986.
I was going to suggest Vintage Vinyl though. Is it still there? A substantial portion of my record collection came from there.
I don't get up to the Loop much anymore. All the in-laws are either out in South County or over by Tower Grove Park.
-
acoxcae--
good Thai places that aren't super-expensive?
good stereotypical college food places? (pizza, subs, etc)
-
Records: Vintage Vinyl, definitely. Euclid is okay too. Those are pretty much the only viable options.
Music venues: there's a ton of em. I like the Hi-Pointe but that's probably because I live a block away from it.
Comic Shops: Back when I used to go to comic shops I utilized "The Fantasy Shop" which could've easily been a porn store name had they thought it through.
For Pizza it's either Imo's or Black Thorn. Black Thorn is the best pizza you'll have outside of Chicago.
Penn Station and Jimmy Johns are acceptible, but if you want local SouthWest Sandwich shop has been a favorite of mine since I was like 4.
We have crazy good Italian food all over the damn hell place.
-
Good Thai places - we actually have a small neighborhood devoted to Thai food on south Grand Avenue, including Pho Grand and The King and I, both of which are excellent.
Stereotypical college food: Jimmy John's is always excellent, Amighetti's is a St. Louis favorite, and Imo's is the traditional St. Louis pizza go-to. I tend to go a little more upscale on pizza, since I worked at a pizza joint (Cafe Manhattan, excellent pizza) for a few years and got tired of the same old thing. Plus, Imo's makes me sick, every time, without fail. They have pretty good toasted ravioli though. That is something else you'll need - toasted ravioli.
-
St Louis pizza, or at least Imo's, is pretty unique. Very thin crust, not much sauce and gummy Provelone cheese.
I like it, it's great stuff, but it's just different. I wish I could get an Imo's now.
Other things -- Ted Drewes. I don't know if Jack and Charlies is still in Clayton, but they used to make an excellent corned beef sandwich. The Zoo, the Botanical Gardens and the City Museum are all pretty cool.
Is Talayna's still around?
-
Congratulations on getting accepted to school. I'm like Wombat in that this thread makes me realize I wasted my youth. I've only been in St. Louis once for an afternoon so I don't have any advice to offer you. Good luck.
~Paul
-
The original Talayna's is gone gone gone. It is the saddest thing. Man I loved that place.
-
I have a good friend who works at Webster U. in St. Louis, and he takes all out-of-town visitors to Ted Drewes.
My Jane & Michael Stern restaurant guide says there's a place in St. Louis where you can get fried pig snout sandwiches. I tried to get my friend to take me there, but he refused.
-
Also: ewww. Substance abuse? ewww. I simultaneously fear and loathe substance usage.
Ditto. We are an endangered breed of the Student species.
Also: Congratulations! May your years at Washington University prove both enlightening and fulfilling.
-
My Jane & Michael Stern restaurant guide says there's a place in St. Louis where you can get fried pig snout sandwiches. I tried to get my friend to take me there, but he refused.
Oh, now there's a substance I'd like to get the chance to abuse.
-
Ditto. We are an endangered breed of the Student species.
Also: Congratulations! May your years at Washington University prove both enlightening and fulfilling.
Since there isn't really another way to utilize beverage alcohol and marijuana, I object strongly to the notion that any substance was abused during my college career.
-
Since there isn't really another way to utilize beverage alcohol and marijuana, I object strongly to the notion that any substance was abused during my college career.
Oh yeah? You could have woven that hemp into a strong yet attractive fabric and made a suit out of it.
-
hm, well.
I would say there is a level of pot/alchohol use which is not abusive.
but very few are content with that level, especially students.
-
Someone probably did make a suit out of the fibers. We only dealt with the buds.
-
Oh yeah? You could have woven that hemp into a strong yet attractive fabric and made a suit out of it.
And what about fuel man? Hemp fuel? But don't say it too loudly, or Exxon will kill you.
-
Well, my wife is from St. Louis. I'm sure she could come up with some things for you. I applied to Wash U for law school, assume I will get in, but won't likely go there because we don't particularly want to move.
The Red Sea is a good restaurant if you are of the opinion, as I am, that Ethiopian food should make you sweat. I also noticed that they had a Two Cow Garage show there, and the idea of a Ethiopian place that hosts an awesome alt-country band is A-OK in my book.
I believe the university has its own bus route, so check along its route(s) for convenient places to live. St. Louis does not have great public transportation on the whole.
Everything said here about Imo's and Ted Drewe's is true. Imo's also makes a rather tasty, totally unhealthy salad with the same strange cheese that is on its pizza. My wife was reminiscing about a sandwich shop with a fellow Lou ex-patriot, so I will ask her about that.
-
I also noticed that they had a Two Cow Garage show there
Oh, what a good band name. Do they sell tshirts?
We have a band around here called Hard Swimming giraffe that I keep missing when they play right around the corner. I know, thinking a band will be good because you like the name is just as stupid as buying wine because it has a marsupial pictured on the label. But I can't help it.
-
Since there isn't really another way to utilize beverage alcohol and marijuana, I object strongly to the notion that any substance was abused during my college career.
Indeed, I had not other ideas of how to use the substances placed in front of me.
Also, I also thought "eww... substance abuse!" before I got accepted to university...
Also, these food places sound delicious.
-
I love substances.
Way to go, man. Today is my first day back at school, so we should do some sort of luck-wish trade.
-
I love substances.
I dunno, I prefer to abuse mixtures, myself.
Anyway, good luck to you too, Bozack!
-
Oh, what a good band name. Do they sell tshirts?
(http://www.twocowgarage.com/website/merch/shirt.gif)
http://www.twocowgarage.com/website/store.php
They may have more shirts at their shows, I do not know.
-
I see by their website that they are playing at the Surly Girl Saloon in Columbus. I never realized before that what I wanted to do with my life was run a place called the Surly Girl Saloon. And someone's beat me to it.