The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Thee on January 16, 2006, 09:01:12 am

Title: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: Thee on January 16, 2006, 09:01:12 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01162006 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01162006)

Good use of flashback, in case we missed the previous episode.  Just what kind of company is it then?

Though I don't know, I'm kind of burned out on Ray's mom from the blogs.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: misterqueue on January 16, 2006, 11:11:26 am
Okay, Ray looks so sad in the last panel that it amuses me.  If I ever have to explain to my Mom that I make tiny testicles for phones, then I will probably have a similar air about myself.

So can we be done with phoneballs now?  Please?
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: idiomsavant on January 16, 2006, 12:00:39 pm
Some excellent eyebrow rendering on Mr. Smuckles on this fine day.

Does Ray always sport the white shirt and tie and thong when he launches a startup? (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05082002) It would appear that perhaps he does. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10012002) A shirt with French cuffs, no less.  The cat in the thong is mighty stylish, except for the thong.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: Limmo on January 16, 2006, 01:57:34 pm
Um...was "I don't know what this has to do with MLK" the original alt-text? 
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: evan on January 16, 2006, 02:38:24 pm
Did Ray forget to tell his mom that he's a multi-millionaire?
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: V-Adore on January 16, 2006, 03:45:42 pm
I have this feeling that the next Wacky Development is going to be Ray actually being forced to explain what he does and his mother being more excited/supportive about it than one is comfortable with coming from one's mom.

Also, "Quentin?"
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: MattFish on January 16, 2006, 03:50:44 pm
Um...was "I don't know what this has to do with MLK" the original alt-text? 

I think it was the thread-starter's attempt at being clever and witty! Aren't we to support such endeavors as long as they are relatively harmless?

I like Ray's lines in this one. We're having fun and learning as we go! I totally sympathize, though, as it's hard to show one's mom one's inappropriate work, no matter how proud you are of it.

I have this feeling that the next Wacky Development is going to be Ray actually being forced to explain what he does and his mother being more excited/supportive about it than one is comfortable with coming from one's mom.

Also, "Quentin?"

Yeah, "Quentin", didn't see THAT coming. I like that thread idea though and totally am more excited and supportive about it than you are comfortable with.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on January 16, 2006, 03:51:42 pm
The eyebrows were well done and really gave away Ray's thoughts, so that was a plus. The strip itself wasn't so hot though, but I must say I liked Ray's hot-potato dance catch. Does anyone know exactly Ray meant when he said, "This ain't that kind of company." ? The kind of company that talks on phones? That uses the merchandise? That talks while working?

As far as ending the strip now (as most people want) I just hope Onstad knows what he's doing and finishes this one in a way that makes us all say "Oh, so that's where he was going with all this!" I can stand a few more of these as long as something good comes from it.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: V-Adore on January 16, 2006, 04:03:58 pm
The eyebrows were well done and really gave away Ray's thoughts, so that was a plus. The strip itself wasn't so hot though, but I must say I liked Ray's hot-potato dance catch. Does anyone know exactly Ray meant when he said, "This ain't that kind of company." ? The kind of company that talks on phones? That uses the merchandise? That talks while working?

My guess is "the kind of company where Todd ever interacts with a customer."
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: acoxcae on January 16, 2006, 04:27:58 pm
I'm pretty much done with this arc now.  I guess maybe one uncomfortable day of Ray explaining that he sells plastic stick-on scrotums for cellular telephones could be entertaining (but only if he uses the word "scrotums").

Also, I'd like to point out that Ray's middle name has been Quentin (http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=09022004&allnav=1) for some time now. (It's in the 2nd-to-last response.)

edit:  I've just discovered that "scrotums," while acceptable, is not preferred.  The preferred plural is "scrota."  This is much, much funnier.

After taking Latin for four years, you'd figure I should know this, but I guess not.

Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: Biz Markizzle on January 16, 2006, 05:01:08 pm
I think Hobo Frenzy has straight zeroed-in on the funniest/most ambiguous parts of this strip. That simply because Todd says "hot potato" Ray responds by seeming genuinely distressed/scared of the incoming object...this is funny. The rest of the strip, not so much, but still I am thankful.

That Ray says "This ain't that kind of company," is ambiguous. I think it is one of two things: 1) that this is not the kind of company that uses cellphones with balls attached to them (which is sort of funny), or 2) that Ray just assumes whatever Todd is doing on the phone is inappropriate (probably dealing drugs). Someone please figure it out, once and for all. Thanks,

Biz
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: Golfhaus on January 16, 2006, 05:24:57 pm
At the 2005 AVN Awards, "Best Film Actress winner Savanna Samson was cheered when she recognized the support of her peers as crucial because 'most of my family is pretty ashamed of what I do.'" (link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060109/od_nm/pornawards_dc_8))

You don't get into the risque businesses without a few moments you'd rather wish you could skip, R. Quentin. Did you think you'd never have to hear your mother's voice when you talked about what you do for a living?

Needless to say, I enjoyed this strip.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: side_show on January 16, 2006, 05:47:59 pm
See talking to your mom on a device that has a scrot is really when you realize that the whole idea was perhaps not as cool as you thought it would be.  I remember when I worked at the porno video store that one day my mom called and I was all holding the phone between my ear and shoulder while I balanced a stack of porno in my hands.  She didn't know I was working at that type of video store, just like Ray's mom doesn't know he's talking on a ScrotPhone (TM), but really, it doesn't matter.  Genitals and your mother do not go together - that is the lesson that I learned.

PS - I really like that I just made up the perfect product name.  No one can convince me otherwise.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: CortJstr on January 16, 2006, 06:17:03 pm
He could just say they make cell phone charms/decorations and be vague but that would be less funny and less Ray.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: Roger on January 16, 2006, 06:49:50 pm
That Ray says "This ain't that kind of company," is ambiguous. I think it is one of two things: 1) that this is not the kind of company that uses cellphones with balls attached to them (which is sort of funny), or 2) that Ray just assumes whatever Todd is doing on the phone is inappropriate (probably dealing drugs). Someone please figure it out, once and for all. Thanks,

Maybe Ray was afraid that Todd might be moonlighting as a phone-sex operator. What tool could be more appropriate for that than a phone with balls attached to it?

But I keep trying to imagine how the conversation between Todd and Ray's mom was going...
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 16, 2006, 07:01:22 pm

edit:  I've just discovered that "scrotums," while acceptable, is not preferred.  The preferred plural is "scrota."  This is much, much funnier.


So that means "scrotum" is, in fact, a neuter noun?  Whatever, Latin.  Way to assign gender to your nouns.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: robot_god on January 16, 2006, 07:06:29 pm
So much of Achewood consists of cats on phones.  It doesn't really get old.

Ray is all talking deridingly at Todd, assuming that Todd is an asshole, then BAM!... talkin' to mom.  Who's the asshole now?

It is interesting to see Ray being embarassed about his own work.  Deep down, does Ray feel like he is a being a fraud?  I would not have assumed that he ever thought such a thing, but this phone call makes me question that belief.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: theinevitable on January 16, 2006, 07:12:48 pm
see, the issue is this:
Scrotum, scroti, nuet. does not refer to a man-sack, just a sack, or bag. Or... something like that. I cannot find my latin dictionary at the moment.
The actual word is "testiculus". I am not sure what this is the diminuitive of, but I'm sure it's something pretty amusing.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: Undertoad on January 16, 2006, 07:24:14 pm
r_g, there is one being that can put Ray off his game, and that's his mom.  But that's the whole point; you've nailed it IMO.  Ray is taken from being all large and in charge, bossing his business partner around for making a personal phone call,... to a state of confused sadness because he knows he's a fraud when he can't answer his mom's simplest question.

I imagine Mr. Onstad may face a similar situation in his enterprise... trying to answer a mom, who can't imagine her son making a living from these stylized T-shirts bearing an entirely made-up booze label.  Drawings of naked animated stuffed animals with Christmas stockings over their privates!  That's not right!
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: Hobot on January 16, 2006, 10:24:10 pm
Re: this thread's title, perhaps it would have been more appropriate if Martin Luther King, Jr.'s spirit had visited R.Q. Smuckles' place of business and purchased a tiny 'sack for his ghostly cellular phone.

I do not mean this in a derogatory way.  I'm just sayin' that even departed American heroes could be in the market for ChatSacks.
Title: Re: January 16, 2006 - I don't know what this has to do with MLK
Post by: CortJstr on January 17, 2006, 03:05:42 am
I imagine Mr. Onstad may face a similar situation in his enterprise... trying to answer a mom, who can't imagine her son making a living from these stylized T-shirts bearing an entirely made-up booze label.  Drawings of naked animated stuffed animals with Christmas stockings over their privates!  That's not right!

He already had to deal with his grandmother's reacition (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01102003) to the strip.