The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on September 03, 2003, 04:01:36 pm

Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter! (09-02-03)
Post by: AugustWest on September 03, 2003, 04:01:36 pm
Nice Pete?  Nightlife Mingus?

How did this situation arise? Hey Everybody, I've got an idea.  Let's all go over to Ray's (since he's not home) and play in his enormous dumbwaiter?

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09022003).
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 03, 2003, 04:04:35 pm
Beef really needs to do drugs more often.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: CortJstr on September 03, 2003, 05:13:43 pm
I am willing to bet that all of Beef's drug experiences are the result of hanging out with Ray. He probably got taken to some party where people were all doin' lines and Ray pressured him into it. Then Beef went home alone and coded while Ray hooked up with a lady so high she thought he was Sean Connery.

Also, if the police do find them they can just claim Nice Pete forced them to break in. They'll believe it. He did escape from prison and all.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: Steve Hogan on September 03, 2003, 06:38:02 pm
I did coke once with a dude off the sink of a Greyhound bus.  It just goes to show you how you'll do anything to ease the suffering of being on a Greyhound bus.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: Kelly on September 03, 2003, 06:55:22 pm
I would think that coke would just make the Greyhound experience more intense and painful. All locked up with stinky strangers. No where to go.

Nice hair, Teodor.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: V-Adore on September 03, 2003, 07:22:27 pm
Teodor's hair is astonishingly good in this strip, yeah -- and he's wearing his semi-sacred T sweater. Just how big of a party were they having?

Also, I'm a little surprised that Nightlife is still invited to these things, given his culpability in Beef's last death. I guess his ability to make life awesome means he's still getting invited.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2003, 07:29:16 pm
The dumbwaiter should have shot into the basement. What's next? a symphonic orchestra? This is more like a clown car than a dumbwaiter.

Mr. Bear is sitting in Semi-darkness, yet Beef and whoever kept yelling 'kill the light' were sitting in pitch darkness. Maybe enough time has passed that the sun came up?

I'm bitching about a free comic strip.

I need help.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 07:35:39 pm
The dumbwaiter is filled with stuffed animals and a few cats.

How heavy could they be?
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: AugustWest on September 03, 2003, 07:37:49 pm
And another thing... Why can't the cops hear all this chitter chatter?  I'm seeing Nice Pete led off to the squad car in his wifebeater on COPS.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2003, 07:39:13 pm
Quote from: "jough"
The dumbwaiter is filled with stuffed animals and a few cats.

How heavy could they be?


In my mind, heavy enough to bring down an absurdy large imaginary dumbwaiter in the ancestral mansion of a talking cat who wears a thong and owns heavily protected entertainment hardware.

Naturally.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: V-Adore on September 03, 2003, 07:44:32 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Mr. Bear is sitting in Semi-darkness, yet Beef and whoever kept yelling 'kill the light' were sitting in pitch darkness. Maybe enough time has passed that the sun came up?

Remember, this is a diary strip -- we're illustrating Mr. Bear's thoughts, perceptions, and memories, not necessarily how things actually happened/were happening. Therefore, Mr. Bear and those speaking probably weren't actually lighted, but they're illuminated here for cinematic reasons (read: it looks and plays better).

Why am I thinking about this?
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on September 03, 2003, 08:58:02 pm
Quote from: "jough"
The dumbwaiter is filled with stuffed animals and a few cats.

How heavy could they be?


Well, the last time I filled our dumbwaiter with cats and stuffed animals and then weighed it the total was-

I've said too much.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: Steve Hogan on September 03, 2003, 08:58:06 pm
Quote from: "Kelly"
I would think that coke would just make the Greyhound experience more intense and painful. All locked up with stinky strangers. No where to go.

Nice hair, Teodor.


I hadn't done coke before so I wasn't sure what to expect.  Actually it was horrible.  I was on my way home from college for winter break. I'd just met the dude who had the coke and didn't realize he'd just swilled a whole bottle of Wild Turkey.  After we snorted the coke he passed out in the bathroom after I left.  I'm freaking out like he's dead in there while a blind guy and then a mother with her kid can't get into the bathroom.  Six hours later he came out totally straight.  Say no to coke kids!
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: Noah on September 03, 2003, 10:58:04 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Mr. Bear is sitting in Semi-darkness, yet Beef and whoever kept yelling 'kill the light' were sitting in pitch darkness. Maybe enough time has passed that the sun came up?

Remember, this is a diary strip -- we're illustrating Mr. Bear's thoughts, perceptions, and memories, not necessarily how things actually happened/were happening. Therefore, Mr. Bear and those speaking probably weren't actually lighted, but they're illuminated here for cinematic reasons (read: it looks and plays better).


I think they have adjusted to the light. Look at Beef's dilated eyes.

And the dumbwaiter doesn't seem THAT big. Like Jough said, these are cats and stuffed animals.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 11:46:09 pm
They could have been talking while the flashlight was on, too.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: pmcd9 on September 04, 2003, 02:57:06 am
Nightlife is Pat.  We already know he owns the hat and he grew the stash 'cos he's on the run.  Him and Nice Pete are like a modern day Thelma and Louise.

~Paul
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2003, 03:59:59 am
Huh.  Good point.  Lessee now, have we ever seen Pat and Nightlife together?

If Onstad uses this in a future strip, it's proof positive that he's not only reading the board, but also sucking our precious creative juices from us.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: Noah on September 04, 2003, 05:02:50 am
Other than the hat and glasses, they don't even look alike.

(http://www.geocities.com/soopeerman/noway.jpg)
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: doomglobe on September 04, 2003, 05:41:42 am
its not cops in the house its just ray and some lady cat.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: jough on September 04, 2003, 08:40:58 am
Quote from: "doomglobe"
its not cops in the house its just ray and some lady cat.


I guess you missed the beginning of the dumbwaiter storyline, but it's the security force from the home entertainment center security.

Ray is still back in 1882 with Philippe and Mark Twain, witnessing the birth of James Joyce, who was born that year.
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: beverly on September 04, 2003, 08:50:34 am
3:50AM, September 4th on the east coast...now where's that strip for Wednesday, September 3rd?
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: slink on September 04, 2003, 08:53:15 am
Man I've lost touch so bad with what's supposed to be happening when! I just spent 48 hours rolling around in bed in agony, unable to get more than 20 minutes sleep at a time, and trying to pop online to see what's happening, and not really remembering a whole lot of it (damn codeine!).
It's been an interesting coupla days...
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: beverly on September 04, 2003, 08:54:10 am
why do I continue to take codeine when the after-effects are so horrible?
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: slink on September 04, 2003, 10:39:27 am
Quote from: "beverly"
why do I continue to take codeine when the after-effects are so horrible?


Because otherwise you have to live with the pain? Few other things that make any difference to it (my personal one is Ibuprofen with codeine in - very effective, but is still codeine).

On the on-topic note - it's nice to see that Nightlife is still around. I had been reckoning he was a brief character just brought in for those few strips. Nice to see such a great character is now hanging around, particularly given the comment about Dr Andretti being gone now (may have been Onstad having a laugh mind).
And Nice Pete could be good to still have around, given how superb the 'murder is like basketball' strip was!
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: jay-ell on September 04, 2003, 02:02:22 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Ray is still back in 1882 with Philippe and Mark Twain, witnessing the birth of James Joyce, who was born that year.


Are you telling us that James Joyce is Santa Claus?
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: CortJstr on September 04, 2003, 04:05:13 pm
This is the image Noah tried to post and I agree, they don't look much alike.

(http://www.cortjstr.com/images/noway.jpg)
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: Noah on September 04, 2003, 08:35:17 pm
Tried to post?  It has showed up, for me, after I posted it...what happened?
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 04, 2003, 08:37:14 pm
Possibly the same thing that happened to your avatar?
Title: EVERYBODY'S in the damn dumbwaiter!
Post by: CortJstr on September 04, 2003, 08:53:08 pm
Quote from: "Noah"
Tried to post?  It has showed up, for me, after I posted it...what happened?


You tried to link to an image on geocities, which they don't allow. Neither does tripod. It's been that way for several years.