The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: nuero on January 17, 2006, 07:19:43 am

Title: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: nuero on January 17, 2006, 07:19:43 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01172006

I laughed harder at this one than I've laughed at the rest of this phone-ball storyline.

Nice facial expressions, especially in panels six and seven.

[Fixed year - Cort]
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2005 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 17, 2006, 07:27:04 am
I like the way Ray's strange leg (fat, yet sinewy) extends and circles as he comes up with with a business concept to tell his mother.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2005 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 17, 2006, 08:03:26 am
Folks, I'd like to point out that Nuero here deserves a little love for using his FIRST post to start a daily comic thread and getting it right.

Thanks, man, you're restoring my faith in humanity. Have a Dr Pepper on me.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2005 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: misterqueue on January 17, 2006, 10:33:10 am
Dammit... neuro signed up and posted?  That means I have to unblock him from the room now.  :P

Anyway, yes, this amused me.  I'm wondering if we actually get to see Raymond Q Smuckles' Mom now or if this just peters off.  No ball pun intended of course.

Also, ideas not used for excuses to his mom - swallowing vodka with a giraffe in it, cramming as many people as possible into a telephone booth, trying to drink a whole gallon of milke, etc.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2005 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: pmcd9 on January 17, 2006, 01:27:42 pm
Folks, I'd like to point out that Nuero here deserves a little love for using his FIRST post to start a daily comic thread and getting it right.

Thanks, man, you're restoring my faith in humanity. Have a Dr Pepper on me.

I don't know, he really could have done a better job with the linkage.  And he got the date wrong, it's 2006 you idiot.  fuck*ng newbies.

~Paul
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2005 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: wombat on January 17, 2006, 01:41:26 pm
Yeah, and the thread title should be a line from the strip.  Unless you really think you can write better than Onstad. 

But we'll let it go just this once.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2005 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: acoxcae on January 17, 2006, 01:59:28 pm
I think we can all agree that it's a better first effort than most people.  A Dr Pepper is warranted.  After all, I write the date on things probably 10 times a day and I'm still screwing up 2006 occasionally.

The strip is better than I thought it would be - I'm pretty much done with this storyline, and think I said yesterday that one more strip should do it.  But now I need one more, so I guess that makes Onstad a good writer/cartoonist/salesman.

In any case, as Ray has to dig deeper in his excuse folder, it's interesting to see what comes out.  Tomorrow, I'm pretty sure the x-mas card company is going to have to fold and move to Barbados due to tax-exempt status violations.  I'm almost sure of this.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: theinevitable on January 17, 2006, 02:48:07 pm
if Ray's mom is the kind of old person we have around here, tax-exempt problems are the perfect reason. because, of course, the got-damn government should get its nose out of our business! its those crazy liberals, hating kids who got surgery on christmas, because they hate everything that is nice!
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: miles on January 17, 2006, 03:10:42 pm
I think I'm the only one that has enjoyed the storyline.  It's no 'Party in the Bathroom' and it's not as good as the 'Heaven' storylines, but there have been some great lines in the strips.  And, come on, nut sacks on cellphones!
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: mrchee on January 17, 2006, 04:40:58 pm
The strip begs the question: What were Todd's motivations for inviting Ray's mom?

Is it because Ray's mom is actually a pleasant person if you aren't Ray?
Or is it because Todd is an asshole and a jerkwad?
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: misterqueue on January 17, 2006, 04:44:49 pm
The strip begs the question: What were Todd's motivations for inviting Ray's mom?

Partner for snortin' 8-balls and buttsex maybe?   That's the only thing I can see Todd T. Squirrel trying to invite women to do.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: Bozack on January 17, 2006, 04:55:55 pm
Partner for snortin' 8-balls and buttsex maybe?   That's the only thing I can see Todd T. Squirrel trying to invite women to do.

Yeah, man, he's got hips to serve.
Welcome, neuro. I like the thread title, and will be naming my band "Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares." We used to be "Mouth Full of Marbles and the Screamers," but Kurt Cobain took that one.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: Roger on January 17, 2006, 05:31:26 pm
Partner for snortin' 8-balls and buttsex maybe?   That's the only thing I can see Todd T. Squirrel trying to invite women to do.

I stand by my opinion that Todd's a new squirrel, thanks to Gavin's leeches. You people have no faith in humanity? I mean, squirrel-ty?

Also, now that we all know Ray's middle name, what's Todd's?
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: CortJstr on January 17, 2006, 05:40:37 pm
I stand by my opinion that Todd's a new squirrel, thanks to Gavin's leeches. You people have no faith in humanity? I mean, squirrel-ty?

Also, now that we all know Ray's middle name, what's Todd's?

Well his full name is Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel so I'm not sure which of those qualifies as "middle"
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: MattFish on January 17, 2006, 05:41:23 pm
Also, now that we all know Ray's middle name, what's Todd's?

The.

or TOUAMB.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: misterqueue on January 17, 2006, 05:52:17 pm
I stand by my opinion that Todd's a new squirrel, thanks to Gavin's leeches. You people have no faith in humanity? I mean, squirrel-ty?

Also, now that we all know Ray's middle name, what's Todd's?

Wait, you saying there's something wrong with propositions ladies for snortin' 8-balls and buttsex?

Fuck!  I knew I was doing something wrong!*


*Or with the wrong Ladies I guess.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 17, 2006, 05:57:26 pm
There must be a rip in the time space continuum. I'm nice to the n00b and Wombat and Paul are hitting him with a bag of oranges.

What the HELL people?!
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 17, 2006, 06:08:36 pm
There must be a rip in the time space continuum. I'm nice to the n00b and Wombat and Paul are hitting him with a bag of oranges.

What the HELL people?!

Your avatar offends me.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: wombat on January 17, 2006, 06:40:56 pm
There must be a rip in the time space continuum. I'm nice to the n00b and Wombat and Paul are hitting him with a bag of oranges.

What the HELL people?!

Hey, we've got standards.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: Biz Markizzle on January 17, 2006, 07:11:01 pm
Stop kiddin' yourselves people today's strip is not funny! I respect that you are being optimistic about the fact that you might have been amused...but you weren't. How many times we going to see Ray's lower lip sort of detach from his face in a way that suggests he is disturbed? If I was a Computer Man I would make an animated .gif of Ray's lower lip just going up and down, side to side, what have you. It would represent all of the Achewood strips that are self-consciously Achewood-y.

Also, AlohaDawg, it occurred to me that you being nice to a "newb" is sort of like how Shaq and Kobe finally had a hug together. 
(http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5253276_36_1.jpg)
I am sorry in advance if my attempts at image-posting creates havoc. The Biz has flow but he does not have computer skillz.

Love
Biz
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: V-Adore on January 17, 2006, 07:13:21 pm
ON SOVIET TOUAMB, BOBBY ISOSCELES GETS OFFENDED BY YOUR AVATAR

My thought re: Todd inviting Ray's mom is that Todd wants to embarrass Ray, as payback for all the times Ray has been less than generous to the little asshole (and all his mentions in Ray's Place). Todd, as an adult squirrel capable of yelling "BALLS!" louder than anyone ever has, deserves respect, and if the only way he can get them is via sitcom-level Hijinks, well, Todd never had much pride.

(I'd rather read a storyline about Ray attempting the Gallon of Milk challenge, though. Vomit jokes = hilarity!)

Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: miles on January 17, 2006, 07:16:53 pm
My thought re: Todd inviting Ray's mom is that Todd wants to embarrass Ray, as payback for all the times Ray has been less than generous to the little asshole (and all his mentions in Ray's Place).

Or Ray's mom just has that effect on people.  You just can't say no.  She may have bullied her way into an invitation.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: Decay on January 17, 2006, 08:12:25 pm
Oh, no, clearly Todd does not believe that the ChatSack is crude. Cause, y'know, it's Todd. So it's perfectly okay to invite Mrs. Smuckles to see the ChatSack factory. Perhaps he has also planned to ask her to model for the female version.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 17, 2006, 08:24:55 pm

I am sorry in advance if my attempts at image-posting creates havoc. The Biz has flow but he does not have computer skillz.


A little immodium will take care of that for you.

Also, I was thinking it would go like "On CCCP OUTBMA, Bobby's Avatar is offended by YOU!"
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: Bozack on January 17, 2006, 09:07:16 pm
Hey, let's not forget Bizarro-World.

Off Beezarro World, real Bizzaro Bobby am loved by me!
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: jough on January 17, 2006, 10:25:08 pm
Dammit... neuro signed up and posted?  That means I have to unblock him from the room now.  :P

Yeah, now if Testin would post, we'd have total board/IRC unity.

Also, am I the only one noticing a divide between the folks who do show up on the IRC channel and those who don't? 

TOUAMB is about inclusion, not exclusion, people.

And of course, education.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: Hobot on January 17, 2006, 10:55:24 pm
More 1920s college dares:

1. Drink 'shine known to cause blindness while pole-sitting.
2. Bitch-slap Al Capone.
3. Taunt Hoovervillians.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: misterqueue on January 17, 2006, 11:17:15 pm
Yeah, now if Testin would post, we'd have total board/IRC unity.

Also, am I the only one noticing a divide between the folks who do show up on the IRC channel and those who don't? 

TOUAMB is about inclusion, not exclusion, people.

And of course, education.


I think the divide is mostly imaginary.  Though I'm sure the inside jokes will get more muddled.


Man.. remember testin jough?  Testin was great.*


*Caution: Consult your doctor before taking Testin.  Testin.  Ask for it by name.
Title: Re: Jan 17, 2006 - Mouth Full of Peppers and the Old Book of 1920s College Dares
Post by: side_show on January 18, 2006, 03:30:36 pm
ON SOVIET TOUAMB, BOBBY ISOSCELES GETS OFFENDED BY YOUR AVATAR

Oh my god.  Thank you V.  Yakov Smirnoff  (http://www.yakov.com/).