The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Lister on January 18, 2006, 05:32:12 pm
-
So who will it be? Although the Mighty Pittsburgh Steelers are my favorite team, I expect that they will lose to the Broncos because I hate the Broncos and the football gods hate me.
Also: Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger.
The Seahawks and the Panthers both have shakiness at the running back position. Seattle has more talent, but Carolina's got more playoff experience. It should be an interesting weekend.
-
So who will it be? Although the Mighty Pittsburgh Steelers are my favorite team, I expect that they will lose to the Broncos because I hate the Broncos and the football gods hate me.
Also: Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger.
The Seahawks and the Panthers both have shakiness at the running back position. Seattle has more talent, but Carolina's got more playoff experience. It should be an interesting weekend.
I have no love for the Steelers but the Browns fan in me will root for them against the Broncos in memory of January 11, 1987,"The Drive" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drive) and my continuing seething hatred for all things bright orange and blue.
-
I'm from Seattle so it would be great to finally see the Seahawks there. We're a cursed sports town (even though it's a relatively young curse). I was at the game on Christmas Eve when they spanked the Colts.
I HATE THE BRONCOS.
It's an old family rivalry. I'm actually more concerned about them losing than with the Seahawks winning. And that reminds me, I need to get a new key made. My current house key is filthy with Blue and Orange and a hoss Head. Long story.
-
I HATE THE BRONCOS.
Ditto. Unfortunately this means they will probably win. Because, as I said, the football gods hate me.
Stupid Denver, all winning their stupid super bowl over the Packers and beating out the Steelers for the right to whoop up on the Falcons. The FALCONS, people. That one shouldn't even count.
-
A tiny can for everyone who hates the Broncos! And another one if you would rip Elway's throat out if you ever had the misfortune of meeting the hoss-faced motherfucker.
-
I'm pretty much at a loss. I had thought it would be the Colts beating Seattle, but I guess that's not going to happen.
And I don't have an emotional attachment to any of these teams, so it's really kind of academic for me at this point.
Also, college basketball is kind of sucking around here this year. This is a major letdown. Is it Derby yet?
-
Such passion in this thread. If only we could get this worked up over something that mattered.
~Paul
-
I LOVE ALITO
-
A tiny can for everyone who hates the Broncos! And another one if you would rip Elway's throat out if you ever had the misfortune of meeting the hoss-faced motherfucker.
I grew up as a Browns fan in the 80's. John Elway's draft day douchebaggery was still unknown to me when I declared a football fatwa against him in 1986. Now that I've had a little more time to grow up and think about things in the context of world history, I still think he's an ass. And I like sacking the crap out of him with Howie Long in Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES.
This does not imply that I hold Howie Long in high regard, no matter what the "Firestorm" poster that hangs in my bedroom might imply.
-
My girlfriend is a Steelers fan, along with three or four of my closest football fans, so I'll probably be tossing my chips into that particular pot for the duration.
I would have given my left nut to see the Redskins make it again (fond memories of 1992 abound), but I have no fear that in the next few years, they'll make it.
My must-lose team this year was the Colts, on account of my buddy Adam, who has a well-paying, slackass job and a girlfriend who absolutely dotes over him, but regardless thinks of Peyton Manning and the Colts first thing when he gets up in the morning, last thing when he goes to bed at night, and probably 75% of the time in between. He is unbearable - his voice raises a full octave when he talks about them, flies from VA to IN at least five times a year for games, and has spent roughly the GDP of a third world nation on Colts stuff. It's not all glum, though - two years ago we made a $100 bet that the Colts would/would not win three of the next five Super Bowls. They didn't win last year and are knocked out this year, so unless they pull off three straight, he'll be forking over some cash.
I am close to taking up a collection with our friends to buy him a Manning jersey, but with "MARINO" on the nameplate instead.
-
I am close to taking up a collection with our friends to buy him a Manning jersey, but with "MARINO" on the nameplate instead.
At first I thought this was funny until I pictured a Browns jersey that says 'Elway' on it.
You are a bad, bad man.