The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 04, 2003, 03:33:14 am

Title: 9/3/03 It just hit me
Post by: pmcd9 on September 04, 2003, 03:33:14 am
It just hit me while reading todays bleat why Lileks has taken such a turn for the right wing since 9/11.  It's because of the buildings.  He loves tall buildings and he can't forgive the terrorist for bringing down those great buildings and damaging the skyline of New York.  He'd surely disagree, but I think there is something psychological going on here.  He needs to see an analyst.

~Paul
Title: 9/3/03 It just hit me
Post by: jay-ell on September 04, 2003, 03:34:29 am
That's an amazing analysis, and, frighteningly, probably more on-target than anything a psychotherapist would come up with.
Title: 9/3/03 It just hit me
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2003, 03:56:02 am
I do think you have something there, although I'll wager that if Lileks ever actually commented on the WTC, he hated them.

I don't think he took a huge right turn on 9/12 though...  He was conservative before that.  However, there's no question he's become rabid since then.  I do think he made a good point in today's (9/3) Bleat about the buildings and other works of art destroy deserving some remembrance.

I'm pretty left-wing -- I admit it.  Hell, I'm a political appointee in a Democratic administration.  But, I try to remain open-minded.  One of the things I like most about Lileks is that he can present arguments and ideas from the other side in a rational and palatable way that allows me to give them the consideration they deserve.

However.

One of the things I like least about Lileks is his deep scorn, vitriol and downright hatred for folks who espouse a political view he doesn't like.  I mean, shit, just because someone has a political opinion that you don't agree with doesn't mean that they are the scum of the earth are worthy of only your vilest derision.  People are more than their politics.  For God's Sakes, Jim!  I give you the benefit of the doubt every day.  Cut Johnny Depp some slack (PREDICTION -- Johnny Depp will show up in the 9/4 Bleat.  Lileks will never watch Pirates of the Caribbean now.)

And one more thing.  IT'S JUST A BEE STING, DAMMIT!  These things happen to all of us -- little kids included.
Title: 9/3/03 It just hit me
Post by: andalucia on September 04, 2003, 11:59:59 am
Heheh, good work, AugustWest.  Sometimes I have to take a no-Bleat week due to Gnat overdose, so I quite understand your feelings about the bee sting escapade.

And I haven't been reading Lileks since "The Beginning", but I think he did take a turn for the right.
Title: 9/3/03 It just hit me
Post by: wombat on September 04, 2003, 12:53:16 pm
As a native New Yorker who shares Lileks' thing for buildings, I think you're right that that's important.  It seems wrong to talk about buildings when so many people died, and it also seems odd when really no one ever thought those were attractive buildings.  But it's like they knew what they were doing when they chose to destroy something prominent and physical instead of just killing a lot of people.  The psychological effect of the event continues because the absence of the buildings and the change in the skyline, which is such an important icon, is a constant reminder.  It's a visible wound that will never really go away and people are really affected by it.

Last time I visited, my friend and I got out of the subway in an unfamiliar place and automatically looked for the towers to see which way was south.  But of course they weren't there.
Title: 9/3/03 It just hit me
Post by: slink on September 04, 2003, 02:20:46 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
But it's like they knew what they were doing when they chose to destroy something prominent and physical instead of just killing a lot of people.  


I do agree that it was a well thougt out target (badly as that statement comes across) in that it did have a big psychological, and political/economical effect. But also - what better way to kill lots of people than by destroying the two biggest buildings around. It ensures you're likely to find the most people in one area.
I find it all very difficult, 'cause while I'm appalled at the attacks, and feel badly for everyone involved, I am also appalled at some of the outcomes of it. The way Bush has justified wars due to it, and a lot of the racial backlash.
Anyway, I'm hugely off-topic since I don't know anything about Lileks still, and am somewhat put off by him being right-wing.
Oh and August - since when does being appointed in a Democratic position make you left-wing :P No but seriously, I wish there were more left-wing democrats around, as opposed to, as Michael Moore puts it, 'Republicans in cheap suits', a la Clinton and Gore.