The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Jeepers on January 22, 2006, 07:16:57 pm

Title: Lord of the Yum-Yum
Post by: Jeepers on January 22, 2006, 07:16:57 pm
Paul Velat... a good man.

He is a music teacher in the Chicago area, and can often be found performing in living rooms/streetcorners/your local punk hangout/etc. If you ever get the chance to see him live, do so at all costs. Many times, he will come to your town and perform in your very house
just because you offered him a crowd and a couch to crash on. He sells caricaturized porcelain busts of himself. He performs many classical songs you have heard, some you haven't and a few of his own creations. He always wears a tuxedo, even when he is hot.

He uses no instruments, just a voice looper thingy and stomping/chest pounding type percussion. Now, before anyone makes the Bobby McFerrin comparison... don't. At least not until you've given it a listen.


Gaze upon him. (http://www.lordoftheyumyum.com/)
Title: Re: Lord of the Yum-Yum
Post by: misterqueue on January 22, 2006, 07:36:48 pm
Reminds me of this (http://turbine.slackworks.com/*****s/saleem/smells_teen.mp3) mixed with Rahzel or something.  Excellent stuff.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Lord of the Yum-Yum
Post by: Jeepers on January 22, 2006, 07:51:39 pm
I tried your link, but only saw concentric gears. Did I break the internet?
Title: Re: Lord of the Yum-Yum
Post by: misterqueue on January 22, 2006, 07:55:12 pm
NO, you did NOT break the Internet.

It was broken for you.

Fortunately, I released a patch (http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/files/dokaka_teen_spirit.mp3)!
Title: Re: Lord of the Yum-Yum
Post by: Jeepers on January 22, 2006, 08:00:08 pm
Good lord. That was insane. Who is it?

I imagine that song being made in the same manner as a person who uses little mallets to tap glasses of water filled with different amounts of water to make songs, but instead he has a bench with muppets strapped to it, and he is slapping them.
Title: Re: Lord of the Yum-Yum
Post by: misterqueue on January 22, 2006, 08:01:50 pm
It was Dokaka (http://www.dokaka.com/).  He does some stuff on Bjork's last album Medulla.  Basically he's entirely vocally based.

I think Rahzel's song "If your mother only knew" was the craziest vocal shit I'd ever heard, and it was done live.  I have a copy if anyone wants to hear it.
Title: Re: Lord of the Yum-Yum
Post by: Jeepers on January 25, 2006, 01:43:51 pm
I downloaderized a copy of "If you mother only knew"

It was awesome, but kinda funny because he would sing in his lilting high pitched voice, and then stop and get thuggish and yell something about "You motherfuckers don't think I'm doing that shit, do you?!? DO YOU??"
Title: Re: Lord of the Yum-Yum
Post by: misterqueue on January 25, 2006, 02:27:39 pm
That's something I used to find really amusing about the Wu-Tang Clan for example:

"We'll chop his head off....  Peace!"
"Find the brutal nine and kill ya' whole fuckin' family.. Peace!"

It's a small jump to imagining

"I fucked your dead grandmother, called her a whore and posted the pictures on the Internet...  Much Love to You!"

Come to think of it, that's the kinda love my Dad practices so....  er.. I've said too much!