The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on January 25, 2006, 07:50:29 am

Title: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: jough on January 25, 2006, 07:50:29 am
Not the direction I would have thought this thread was going... (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01252006)

Cool to see that Ray gets "rudest" from his mom.

Also, how long will it take before someone here registers www.greatoutdoorfight.com ?
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: mrchee on January 25, 2006, 08:15:43 am
I, too, am a lonely soul traversing the inter nets at three in the morning, clicking refresh on a web site which i have already visited five times in the last two hours...

IRT comic:
It seems that Ray is not as smooth as he pretends to be.  The anticipatory quivering exhibited throughout the strip is a dead giveaway. 
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Doc on January 25, 2006, 08:32:38 am
This is starting to turn into one of the longest or at least twistiest stories in achewood. Shame on all those who boo'd down chatsack.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: robot_god on January 25, 2006, 08:48:37 am
So Ray's pop was a real tomcat.  Hmmm.  Mrs. Smuckles seems to have lived wealthily for her entire life.  So perhaps she was a rich cat who just got knocked up.  It seems odd she would have a relationship with a man who wanted to spend an evening at a mean old dive.  But perhaps she just has a thing for a real man's... cat.  Anyway, this disclosure is confusing.

Then again, I guess it isn't clear weather or not Ray was born into money to begin with.  I mean, he did have his startups, so one might assume he is self-made, but that part of his character seems to have been abandoned in the story.

Ok, so Ethelia Smuckles, from a rich household, while in heat, is impregnated by a tomcat, and Ray, being born into extravagance but without a father figure, probably runs away and ends up becoming a show cat (or perhaps he is given away by his mother's human.)  Hmmm, no, they had to have been rich and together until at least Ray was in his little league years.  I suppose in his later teenage years he became the show cat, and after abandoning that life, decided to start from scratch to make himself a success.

Hmmm, but Mrs. S. certainly spent some time with this guy, they went out to bars MAN FUCK THIS IM GOING TO BED this will only make sense if Mrs. Smuckles is never seen again.

Maybe he was killed in a fight when Ray was a kitten.  MAYBE HE'S STILL ALIVE.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: mudokon on January 25, 2006, 08:55:09 am
Man, seriously? This is where this story is going? Because it's great. The chatsack storyline was fairly standard stuff, but I love that it's managed to go off in such a crazy direction.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: evan on January 25, 2006, 09:22:27 am
Good strip, I am seriously looking forward to The Great Outdoor Fight.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: MattFish on January 25, 2006, 09:45:09 am
This is awesome. My favorite little detail is definitely how Mrs. Smuckles is not consuming the Chablis and the glass is full by the end of the strip.

wow. THE GREAT OUTDOOR FIGHT
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: misterqueue on January 25, 2006, 10:45:47 am
'Stad is always at his best when his storylines bleed into each other.  Anyway, this is completely left field as far as I'm concerned but what I love most is the ridiculously machismo image on the website as Ray stares at it; contemplating.

Also Ramses Luther?  Strange mix of names that one.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: theinevitable on January 25, 2006, 12:25:36 pm
they will go to the fight.
Ray's dad will be there, and he will still win the fight.
he will be one tough cat.
ray will not win the fight.

or: he will win, but not because of skill.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Roger on January 25, 2006, 01:21:24 pm
Or maybe he'll get in he fight, and will face an opponent who turns out to be his father, and things will get real Freudian.

Anyway, Ramses Luther is a frikkin awesome name. Sounds like Ray's father's of egyptian-protestant descent.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Jeepers on January 25, 2006, 01:23:04 pm
This took me right the hell out of nowhere.
  I want him to go and fight, only to find out that a certain Mr. Roast Beef has been secretly fighting and winning for the past several years. Then a faceoff between friends, at which point Beef will look at the ground and kick a rock and mumble something like
    "Damn  dogg I thought you were scared of the fight, I thought your Aveda consultant told you to take better care of you skin."
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Decay on January 25, 2006, 02:13:40 pm
"Beef! I want you to do me a favour!"
"what is it dogg"
"I want you to hit me as hard as you can."

This storyline is excellent, but I hope it doesn't peter out before we actually get to the Great Outdoor Fight.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: jough on January 25, 2006, 02:23:18 pm
Oh man, you people are funnier than this story arc could ever possibly be.

Tiny cans all around.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: misterqueue on January 25, 2006, 02:28:23 pm
Oh man, you people are funnier than this story arc could ever possibly be.

Tiny cans all around.

Beware the loving jough, for beyond the next corner lies his dark and terrible wrath. 

*sacrifices a cow*
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Null on January 25, 2006, 02:47:39 pm
I would have liked it if Mrs. Smuckles met Nice Pete. 

Or Vlad.  Though I'm positive I'm not ready to see Mrs. Smuckles so nude.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Shii on January 25, 2006, 02:49:25 pm
Ms. Smuckles has little vibration lines around her now, the same as all the people that have been talking to her for the last three strips.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Emergent_C on January 25, 2006, 03:40:05 pm
The tiny picture of the super-macho cats with their steroidific torsos, adorable little ears, and extremely phallic tail(s) is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen.

Similarly, the idea of 3,000 tomcats in a big ol' field, just tearing into each other, is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen in my head.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: wombat on January 25, 2006, 03:41:31 pm
Or maybe he'll get in he fight, and will face an opponent who turns out to be his father, and things will get real Freudian.


Someone else needs to figure out how make an elaborate and amusing joke about Darth Smuckles here.  I can't, I'm too tired to think and there's too much to do at work.  My life is interfering with my being clever on the Internet, dammit.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Petie on January 25, 2006, 04:37:27 pm
I'm hoping that Ray enters the fight, and he ends up facing off against the only cat low and mean enough to best his father.

That cat?  Mrs. Smuckles.  All camo face paint, all "Soldier of Fortune" tattoed across her back.


Aside:  I liked how Ray was able to sneak "bad-ass" into conversation without his mother reprimanding him.  Maybe it was because, truthfully, his father was a bad-ass.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: V-Adore on January 25, 2006, 05:26:33 pm
Man, the tiny-macho-tomcat art is by far the best part of this strip. It looks disturbingly like some of the stuff from the COCKRUB WARRIORS FROM MARS page, truth be told.

I am extremely hopeful that this arc will bring out Ray's secret killer instinct. All reaving through men, all yelling hell of battle cries, all soaking his International Male caftan (gift from C.P.) with the blood of his foes, all hearing the lamentations of their women... rad.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Roger on January 25, 2006, 05:57:24 pm
"I never wanted you to look for that ability in yourself"...
(cue John Williams soundtrack)

We kind of had previous hints (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11072005) that Ray might have more physical skills than you'd expect from a dude of gravity.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: miles on January 26, 2006, 04:01:02 am
Someone else needs to figure out how make an elaborate and amusing joke about Darth Smuckles here.  I can't, I'm too tired to think and there's too much to do at work.  My life is interfering with my being clever on the Internet, dammit.

I know how it ends.  Now someone needs to fill out the middle and beginning stuff.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: EgoSumNoah on January 26, 2006, 05:55:08 am
We kind of had previous hints (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11072005) that Ray might have more physical skills than you'd expect from a dude of gravity.

Ray cannot fight. I can't think of a strip where Ray was a coward, but he's accustomed lifestyle that does not include putting your dukes up. He's too lucky in other areas to be a talented gladiator. What I can see is some funky suit of armor or something... or Ray just managing to avoid harm long enough to see the end. But if Ray can take out those lumberjack cats with claw and fist, I will eat so many words that I will explode.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: robot_god on January 26, 2006, 02:10:45 pm
Ray cannot fight.

But Ray wants to fight.  You can't deny that he is a cat that gets the job done.

I hope he wins.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: CortJstr on January 26, 2006, 02:21:50 pm
Ray will get his ass handed to him. Then he'll find a promising fighter and pay for his training throughout the year who will go back next year and win the whole thing for Ray.

Ray will then be sued by "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase for stealing his gimmick.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 26, 2006, 06:44:57 pm
I didn't read this until late last night.  My next action was to visit greatoutdoorfight.com, and I was disappointed to see it hadn't been done up yet.

*sacrifices a cow*

Fucker.  Negative can.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: misterqueue on January 26, 2006, 07:08:23 pm
I didn't read this until late last night.  My next action was to visit greatoutdoorfight.com, and I was disappointed to see it hadn't been done up yet.

Fucker.  Negative can.

Dude.. seriously... retribution is hell.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: jough on January 26, 2006, 08:34:21 pm
I didn't read this until late last night.  My next action was to visit greatoutdoorfight.com, and I was disappointed to see it hadn't been done up yet.

It has now.

www.greatoutdoorfight.com

You GO, Logan Ingalls!
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: theinevitable on January 26, 2006, 10:47:33 pm
the aeneid is about the great outdoor fight? Or, at least, something which references Aeneas. I am too lazy to start translating (especially when I'm avoiding doing my actual latin homework. which is: translation of some lines from the aeneid).

Some of the sentences seem far too short to be vergil's work. hmm.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: CortJstr on January 26, 2006, 10:54:43 pm
You know it's a classy site when 75% of the content is Lorem ipsum
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: AugustWest on January 27, 2006, 03:54:45 am
More than you ever wanted to know about lorem ipsum. (http://www.lipsum.com/)
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: theinevitable on January 27, 2006, 04:12:37 am
well. I know there's an "Aenean" in there, which is the greek accusative of Aeneas.

my latin teacher has never been able to explain why the Trojans would have spoken Greek.
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Golfhaus on January 28, 2006, 11:08:14 pm
Looks like content on the site is starting to come up...
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: pmcd9 on February 01, 2006, 04:56:48 am
The Great Outdoor Fight (http://www.greatoutdoorfight.com/champions.html) website has a mistake on their hall of champions.  They have someone named Manual Alliman as the '97 winner.

~Paul
Title: Re: 25 January 2005 - The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: jough on February 01, 2006, 05:24:02 am
Actually Paul, since that page was up a few days before Onstad posted his strip, it's Onstad who got it wrong.  Clearly he meant to write "Manual Alliman."