The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Emergent_C on January 25, 2006, 09:33:57 pm

Title: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: Emergent_C on January 25, 2006, 09:33:57 pm
Achewood's gonna have some sexay new visitors soon (http://www.nerve.com/specialissues/newradicals/01/).

Please forgive me if someone else has already posted this. I looked and looked, and couldn't find any other references to it.
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: misterqueue on January 25, 2006, 09:47:05 pm
Oh NOES!  Those fuckin' guys!

But I suppose, whatever keeps 'Stad making the comics, exposure can be good for such things, also good for letting him buy more single-malt scotch and being too drunk to deliver on a Tuesday.   I kid I kid.
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: CortJstr on January 25, 2006, 09:51:09 pm
Sad admission: I met my SO through the Nerve/Salon/Onion personals.
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: wombat on January 25, 2006, 10:23:09 pm
Oh, there goes the neighborhood.
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 25, 2006, 10:34:26 pm
Sad admission: I met my SO through the Nerve/Salon/Onion personals.

Are all three of those linked into one database?
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: misterqueue on January 25, 2006, 10:55:27 pm
Are all three of those linked into one database?

Short answer yes, long answer...  uh.  Yes.
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: rumpy doppelganger on January 26, 2006, 12:38:16 am
world's most radical grandpa

see i'm drawing a parallel to the popular tee shirts

why isn't there an emoticon for this
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: evan on January 26, 2006, 08:34:29 am
yeah achewood is totally about animals who raid the liquor cabinet, swear, get depressed, and get laid

radical
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: otter on January 27, 2006, 08:11:06 pm
The write-up was nice, but sort of quaint, or something.  "Oh my god, comics where people are allowed to swear!"  Hello, welcome to 1998 (http://www.penny-arcade.com).
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: MattFish on January 29, 2006, 06:44:58 am
The write-up was nice, but sort of quaint, or something.  "Oh my god, comics where people are allowed to swear!"  Hello, welcome to 1998 (http://www.penny-arcade.com).

Do we have to use penny arcade as a yardstick for anything that happens with webcomics? I thought webcomics in general were trying to collectively shrug that off. That and Megatokyo.
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: Shii on January 29, 2006, 07:57:42 am
yeah achewood is totally about animals who raid the liquor cabinet, swear, get depressed, and get laid

radical
I don't think you "get" Achewood.
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: Doc on January 29, 2006, 11:59:31 am
Damn that doesn't even sound close to being a comic I'd want to read.
They used the exact picture that makes it look like every other haha yuppie animal comic out there too. Why couldn't they use an 'oooooh shiiiiiiit'? Even nightlife would be better.
I'm sure the person who wrote this really loves achewood for the reasons we all do, but they just totally failed to communicate it.
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: nuero on January 29, 2006, 11:13:52 pm
Do we have to use penny arcade as a yardstick for anything that happens with webcomics? I thought webcomics in general were trying to collectively shrug that off. That and Megatokyo.

Maybe he just meant that it was the first comic to feature swearing as basically the only joke, in which case Penny Arcade is often a very good example.
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: misterqueue on January 29, 2006, 11:32:26 pm
Maybe he just meant that it was the first comic to feature swearing as basically the only joke, in which case Penny Arcade is often a very good example.

I think there's more (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/11/24) to penny arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/03/21) than just swearing actually.  However, I will admit that shitcock (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19) makes me laugh, but then at times... well I can be a pretty low motherfucker you know?
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: Bozack on January 30, 2006, 01:17:57 am
I think there's more (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/11/24) to penny arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/03/21) than just swearing actually.  However, I will admit that shitcock (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19) makes me laugh, but then at times... well I can be a pretty low motherfucker you know?

Dude...cockthirsty. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/09/16)
Title: Re: This just in! Achewood = Radical Web Comic
Post by: otter on January 30, 2006, 04:52:20 am
Do we have to use penny arcade as a yardstick for anything that happens with webcomics? I thought webcomics in general were trying to collectively shrug that off. That and Megatokyo.

I picked Penny Arcade because it was so obvious.  As in, "even the editors of Nerve Magazine would have heard of it" obvious.

Also, the swearing (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/11/30).