The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: AugustWest on January 27, 2006, 03:42:14 pm
-
Lileks linked to this (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/18/AR2006011801434.html) today. It's a great piece of writing and I highly recommend it, but as Lileks says you need to stick with it to the end.
-
If you do end up sticking with it all the way to the end, you probably want to read the transcript of the online chat too. It's linked to right under the photograph.
-
I only read the article, not the chat, but damn that's a whole bunch of... stuff. Shit, I don't know, just very intense. There's probably a great telemove in there somewhere.
Oh and he comes off looking pretty good at what he does, but mightn't he be worried an article like that would hurt his business?
-
Read the chat, he talks about that a lot.
-
In the end, I think one in the chat said they wouldn't hire him, several others said they would, and one said he had TGZ booked for a week ahead, and wouldn't think of cancelling.
A lot of discussion centered around Weingarten's involvement with his subject, with at least one person accusing him of being an enabler to his gambling problem. I know in the world of journalism there's supposed to be this great rule about seperating yourself from the story and acting on just oberserving, to "report the news, not create the news." This was the first time I've seen someone invoke the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle to defend against that viewpoint, which I found extremely clever. The fact is, we live in a time where local news programs will act as a community ombudsman. Newspapers serve to rally support for causes. You can tell a lot about a person by which cable news channel they gets their information from. I think Weingarten played it about as straight as he could.
And the dude's lucky as hell to have a job that has allowed him to spend $300 of the company's dough on massage parlors and gambling. I feel lucky the airline will let me expense alcohol when I go out of town for business.