The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: misterqueue on February 01, 2006, 10:41:40 am

Title: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: misterqueue on February 01, 2006, 10:41:40 am
the strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02012006)

Things of note:


EDIT BY V to put in the strip permalink. Again. We talked about this!
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: theinevitable on February 01, 2006, 11:56:04 am
you would cut off your own face if people thought you lost a fight to me.

Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: acoxcae on February 01, 2006, 01:46:58 pm
It is indeed Negro Modelo.

I like that Envelope associates sitting on the steps all day with a bag of caca, like that's what they were designed to do.  Also, because it means that he metaphorically called Ray a bag of shit, which is awesome.

As for the rest of the strip - OK.  I like the idea of the nativity being ridiculous, but it goes a panel or two too long.  Now, my question is, is Envelope just going to throw the qualifying match?  In my opinion, it'd be a much better idea if Ray got Envelope to enter the tournament, beat everyone except Ray, and then go down to Ray, thereby securing Ray's family legacy.  It'll be a lot more fun to watch Ray be humiliated, though.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Roger on February 01, 2006, 01:51:06 pm
The face transplant reference shows Onstad's got some serious up-to-dateness on current issues.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Lister on February 01, 2006, 02:14:05 pm
I wonder if Ray has realized what this means to the 'Lope and is having a change of heart, or if he's just going to go on with his plan anyway.

Also, "not seeing a bunch of rotating Josephs" is probably fairly low on the list of why rich people live in the ritzy neighborhoods.  I imagine it is just above "you can get the newspaper delivered."

it is so late now that it is early.  i am saddened.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: jough on February 01, 2006, 02:16:14 pm
It keeps the toys off the lawn.  It puts the lotion in the basket.

Lots of nice details here.  To lose a fight to fancy-boy Ray means having to have your face removed like Hannibal Lecter did to that guard, and have your kids hidden like the Senator's daughter in the same film.

Sorry, drawing lots of Silence of the Lambs parallels this morning.

Also, I'm putting my out-of-print Silence of the Lambs: Criterion Collection DVD up for sale on eBay today.  I wonder how much I'll get for it!
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: evan on February 01, 2006, 02:53:05 pm
it sure is worth a lot to that guy to have joseph rotate.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: V-Adore on February 01, 2006, 03:43:41 pm
I took the face-transplant thing as a Face/Off reference, personally.

Anyway, I agree that the emphasis on the Nativity scene (vs., say, how embarrassing it would be to lose a fight to Ray) is misplaced, but otherwise this strip is gold. Envelope Martinez is such a detailed character design that I very much hope he shows up again.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 01, 2006, 04:25:34 pm
A Spanglish guy named Envelope is hilarious.  I have a Mexican friend (amigo) named Jesus (Hay-zoos) who goes by Chuy (Chewy).  I might start calling him Envelope instead, and I'll be the only one laughing.  And he'll be the only one punching me in the neck for making a quasi-racist joke at him.

Just like I was the only one laughing at the visual of a bunch of rotating Josephs in a nativity scene.  Obviously, the quality of the scene is enhanced by multiples of each character.  I pictured a manger with a half-dozen of everyone, spinning reallly slow like the pie cabinet in a diner.  I guess Envelope's manger scene could be six or seven scenes depicting the various stages of the birth (getting turned away from the inn, setting up a manger, Mary in labor, Joseph cutting the cord, the arrival of the Wise Men, etc) that would look like a cartoon if you drove past them at just the right speed.  For that I imagine you'd need a bunch of rotating Josephs.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 01, 2006, 04:40:13 pm
Just like I was the only one laughing at the visual of a bunch of rotating Josephs in a nativity scene.  Obviously, the quality of the scene is enhanced by multiples of each character.  I pictured a manger with a half-dozen of everyone, spinning reallly slow like the pie cabinet in a diner.  I guess Envelope's manger scene could be six or seven scenes depicting the various stages of the birth (getting turned away from the inn, setting up a manger, Mary in labor, Joseph cutting the cord, the arrival of the Wise Men, etc) that would look like a cartoon if you drove past them at just the right speed.  For that I imagine you'd need a bunch of rotating Josephs.

Someone draw this up. C'mon people. I was hoping Onstad would show the nativity scene in today's strip but he did not come through so now it's up to you. We should have a competition where the most funny drawing of a nativity scene wins like all sorts of cans of dr pepper. 

I thought this strip was extremely funny, especially in the early panels...bag of caca...beehive up ju ass...the implication that Ray is still going to call the cops on him for other things...this is all good stuff. Envelope is the type of character you would love to see interact with other characters -- seeing Roast Beef or Nice Pete's reaction to him would be comedy gold.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Golfhaus on February 01, 2006, 07:31:40 pm
I enjoy the alt-text... I get this notion of people in the neighborhood: "Ray Smuckles... he's quite a character, but I certainly wouldn't want to be seen around HERE after losing a fight to him."

Makes you wonder... the implication is that the neighborhood is an upper-class area, and the other implication is that Envelópe is living above his means, so to speak. Does he have the cashflow to live this upscale, spinning-jo-jo lifestyle because of the GOF, or is it by other means and I'm just reading too much racism into it?

It would be interesting to learn what the "prize" for winning the GOF is, aside from the obvious notoriety. Is there a cash award? Do winners become marketable, their Q-Rating allowing them to do such as television commercials for beer?
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: robot_god on February 01, 2006, 10:59:50 pm
If my memory of the Achewood map serves me correctly, Ray lives in Achewood Estates, which is an upper class area.  The maps are in the first or second week of January of some year, I think.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: CortJstr on February 01, 2006, 11:10:35 pm
Achewood Heights. Pat in is Achewood Estates

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01032005
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Apenotmonkey on February 02, 2006, 01:33:23 am
It is indeed Negro Modelo.

Nah, the beer they're drinking is Bohemia (the Mexican Bohemia, not the Brazilian one).  Bohemia is basically like treasure.  Negra is a good beer, but Bohemia is much, much better.

BTW, hello everyone.  I post approximately once every 2 years, but have been lurking on the various incarnations of this board ever since Achewood's inception... nice to see people as excited about Achewood, grammar and spelling, vegulonism (although I'm a dedicated carnivore), and such, even though I typically don't have too much (or anything) to add.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Roger on February 02, 2006, 01:56:28 am
I'm thinking of picking up "Rotating Josephs!" and use it as an exclamation from now on.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: MattFish on February 02, 2006, 07:51:30 am
I'm thinking of picking up "Rotating Josephs!" and use it as an exclamation from now on.

I'd like to join you in that venture
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: nuero on February 02, 2006, 08:58:46 am
I do really like how Ray said "You would cut off your own face is people thought you lost a fight to me" as a statement rather than a question.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: stringph on February 02, 2006, 10:50:48 am

Anyone else notice how Envelope's accent mysteriously vanishes in the last two frames?

(No, I don't mean the little thingy above the 'o'...)
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 02, 2006, 01:44:18 pm
The night of the fight, Envelope, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride fuck*ng with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: robot_god on February 02, 2006, 02:34:42 pm
I had to come back to this thread, just noticed:

Envelópe calls Ray a gringo.



I wonder if Onstad actually has a neighbor that has called him a gringo: buff Cheech Marin.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: eriksays on February 02, 2006, 05:26:25 pm
don't know why ray feels the need to have a fight thrown.

he's a badass http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11042005
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: CortJstr on February 02, 2006, 05:32:40 pm
That was clearly a case of emotion and adreneline taking over the body. Like those mothers who lift busses off of their children.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: littlefox on February 02, 2006, 05:35:02 pm
The silly thing is actually that if Ray doesn't think he can beat Envelope, then what is he going to do when he has to fight 3000 men? All 3000 of which had to beat Envelope-types before they could fight?
Maybe adreneline will take over in that situation, too.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 02, 2006, 05:36:04 pm
He's got some time to train yet before the main event, right?
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: misterqueue on February 02, 2006, 05:41:31 pm
Yes but we all know that Ray trains with Martinis and Sour Cream.

I don't care if he did run that mile the other day in fear of diabetes, he will always train with Martinis and Sour Cream; it is the Ray way.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 02, 2006, 05:52:27 pm
Yes but we all know that Ray trains with Martinis and Sour Cream.

I don't care if he did run that mile the other day in fear of diabetes, he will always train with Martinis and Sour Cream; it is the Ray way.

That actually wont be a bad idea. Sour cream makes him fat and fat will absorb punches and kicks; martinis will get him drunk so he will not tense up in anticipation of a blow and thus will roll with the punches more easily. This way, as a ragdoll (pun not intended) he will be able to tire out the remaining 3000 men, and then go Tim Simmons on their asses.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Golfhaus on February 02, 2006, 08:12:06 pm
I don't know which scenario would disappoint me more now:

a) Ray wins the GOF (because it's almost a cliche at this point)
b) Ray doesn't win the GOF (because losing means a RQS beat-down, probably by some as-yet-uncreated character)
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 02, 2006, 08:17:45 pm

b) Ray doesn't win the GOF (because losing means a RQS beat-down, probably by some as-yet-uncreated character)

Or Milklin.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Ben-San on February 02, 2006, 08:35:25 pm
I don't know which scenario would disappoint me more now:

a) Ray wins the GOF (because it's almost a cliche at this point)
b) Ray doesn't win the GOF (because losing means a RQS beat-down, probably by some as-yet-uncreated character)

c) Ray pulls strings to qualify for the GOF, gets drunk to celebrate, sleeps through it.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: CortJstr on February 02, 2006, 08:38:01 pm
c) Ray pulls strings to qualify for the GOF, gets drunk to celebrate, sleeps through it.

Winner!
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Golfhaus on February 02, 2006, 09:03:09 pm
But if he slept through it AT THE EVENT, he would not get fought, as everyone else would assume he is incapacitated. The last two dudes would knock each other out, and the crowd would tense up, eager to see what is to happen, only to see one dude from the pile wake up, rub his sunglasses, and say, "Hey, Chochachos! We ready to do this?" and the crowd would go wild and Ray wouldn't have a clue what just happened.

BECAUSE THIS IS HOW IT HAPPENS TO RAY.



(edit to remove stupid spelling error)
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 02, 2006, 09:06:17 pm
But if he slept through it AT THE EVENT, he would not get fought, as everyone else would assume he is incapacitated. The last two dudes would knock each other out, and the crowd would tense up, eager to see what is to happen, only to see one dude from the pile wake up, rub his sunglasses, and say, "Hey, Chochachos! We ready to do this?" and the crowd would go wild and Ray wouldn't have a clue what just happened.

BEACAUSE THIS IS HOW IT HAPPENS TO RAY.

True.
Title: Re: 1 Feb 2006 - It Keeps the Toys off the Lawn
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 02, 2006, 10:07:49 pm
And obviously, there would be a huge cash payout involved, because Ray doesn't have enough money already.