The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Biz Markizzle on February 03, 2006, 04:01:29 pm
-
Hello
I am wondering if you are a chef?
My girlfriend has recently enrolled in a culinary institute and has what medical experts call "the jitters" because shucks, who really knows what it is like to be in cooking school? I sure don't; I don't think I even used an oven unsupervised until I was probably about 18.
I thought perhaps someone here has been to cooking school and/or loves or once-loved someone who has been to cooking school. Have YOU? If so, I would be grateful if you would share some thoughts on your experiences so that I could pass them on to her. Anyone?
Love
Biz
-
My uncle was in culinary school. I don't know a lot about it but it sounds really hard. When they say to cube something to a certain size, they mean EXACTLY that size. I remember him being a couple millimeters off on something.
-
The reason I didn't go to culinary school was because when I came out I would be a chef, which isn't bad of itself but boy do the jobs and hours for entry level chefs suck.
If she does a good job and does exactly what they tell her, she'll do fine. Creativity won't be valued for some time, though.
-
It's a good program and after it's done she's accepted to a masters program at le Cordon Bleu in Paris, so all indications are that by the time its all over, her first job should actually be pretty decent, especially considering the multiple internships she'll have to do while in school (though yes, either way I've heard the hours can be pretty brutal).
And you're definitely right about the creativity; they seem almost army-like in how they approach discipline. My impression was that because so many people are like, "Hey, I like cooking and eating! I should be a Chef!" they really try to beat you down so you only do it if you're serious about the profession. She's a tough and freakishly smart girl so I'm sure she will excel and get through it, but I'm hoping that it will at least be a LITTLE bit fun for her, too.
-
My uncle was in culinary school. I don't know a lot about it but it sounds really hard. When they say to cube something to a certain size, they mean EXACTLY that size. I remember him being a couple millimeters off on something.
Whoa, seriously? I have a friend who is really interested in culianary school, but if she heard about that, it might turn her off. Wow!
Thanks for the tips, guys. Creativity can't be valued? Suck.
-
Thanks for the tips, guys. Creativity can't be valued? Suck.
I think AlohaDawg's statement that creativity won't be valued "for some time" is important. It's like, say you go to basketball camp. You got to learn how to do such as dribble the ball with a basic stationary and forward movement before you can dribble it between your legs and do other tricks without having your instructors tell you to knock it off. Until you can cook really good food in the traditional way you are not going to be able to cook really good food with a personal twist. It's not necessarily as fun at first but it makes a certain sense.
My girlfriend starts on the 13th so I'd be happy to let you know how she likes it so you can pass the info on to your friend.
-
Also don't lose sight of the fact that at least cooking is a field where there's a possibility that creativity will eventually be valued. Most jobs, it just gets in the way. Speaking as the jaded, bitter old fogey here, one eventually learns that creativity is rewarded by the world less often than you think it's going to be when you're younger.