The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: starlight on September 05, 2003, 10:18:21 am

Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit! (09-04-03)
Post by: starlight on September 05, 2003, 10:18:21 am
I've never started a thread on a new achewood strip, but it seems I'm up late/early enough this time:

I rather like how little Philippe tries to keep Ray rated G by telling him to be polite when he goes off about James Bond ..hee.  also like how Mark Twain is still writing the observations as if from afar.

Good strip.  Good strip.

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09042003).
Title: Re: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: slink on September 05, 2003, 10:44:31 am
Quote from: "starlight"
I've never started a thread on a new achewood strip, but it seems I'm up late/early enough this time:

I rather like how little Philippe tries to keep Ray rated G by telling him to be polite when he goes off about James Bond ..hee.  also like how Mark Twain is still writing the observations as if from afar.

Good strip.  Good strip.


Absolutely! Philippe in a suit is rather adorable! Kind of makes me want to dress my dog, who somehow reminds me of philippe! But that would just be sick so I won't.
I am loving the Twainster in all of this. Excellent stuff.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: Paisley on September 05, 2003, 01:36:34 pm
This mixing of time and space in literature genres can only end in tears.

But I guess this explains Tom Sawyer and Sean Connery in "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." It probably would have been a good movie if not for the Ebay'd time machine.

-- PR
Title: Re: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: revdj on September 05, 2003, 01:42:33 pm
Quote from: "slink"

Absolutely! Philippe in a suit is rather adorable!

He is trying SO HARD to "behave" and be "polite".  I remember being like that when I was a kid and in certain "adult" environments.  Sit up straight as you can, and think at all times "polite... polite... polite..."

And the contrast with Ray is so great.  Ray, who is just Ray, wherever he is.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 05, 2003, 02:29:54 pm
I enjoy the umlaut in "preëminent."  I think the umlaut needs to return to fine written English.  Can we all coöperate on this?
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: Howdy Moody on September 05, 2003, 05:59:50 pm
I am TOTALLY diggin' this story line.
I love Mark Twain, and Onstad gets his tone just right.
Phillipe looks so cute in his suit!
H.M.
PS-Wow!  A post where I don't have any cynical comments aimed at anyone...except for YOU, you FUCK!
PPS-Ooops.  Not.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: CortJstr on September 05, 2003, 11:42:28 pm
I find it hilariously appropriate that Ray capitalizes Sperm
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: jough on September 06, 2003, 06:40:30 am
Quote from: "Howdy Moody"
PS-Wow!  A post where I don't have any cynical comments aimed at anyone...except for YOU, you FUCK!
PPS-Ooops.  Not.


Fuck are you talking about, bitch?  That's your first post!  You've never had a cynical comment aimed at anyone because you've never posted before.  Duh.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: jough on September 06, 2003, 06:41:40 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I find it hilariously appropriate that Ray capitalizes Sperm


Actually, that was Onstad.  Ray was just speaking, so he couldn't really capitalise his own dialogue, right?

When you speak do people know what should and should not be capitalised?  I thinkn't.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: doomglobe on September 06, 2003, 03:15:50 pm
No, it was Ray. Cartoon cats speak like that when they are in comics. They speak in text, just like Roast Beef never caps or puncs.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: CortJstr on September 06, 2003, 04:29:31 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
No, it was Ray. Cartoon cats speak like that when they are in comics. They speak in text, just like Roast Beef never caps or puncs.

That's exactly what I meant. Or how Blister always uses all caps.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: jough on September 06, 2003, 06:37:36 pm
I can understand your confusion between the comic reality and the exegencies of having to frame comic action on a 2D page, but it would seem that in the reality of the Achewood universe, the characters are merely *speaking* and the artist is a medium, a translator, attempting to write in a way that would get the intonations and speech of each character across to us in a way that we could *hear* the characters speak.

What is your basis for characters speaking in text (i.e. they open their mouth and symbols rather than sounds come out)?  AFAIK, there is no precedent for this view, and so it is unfounded.

Perhaps you could elaborate?
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: V-Adore on September 06, 2003, 08:07:31 pm
To play Devil's Advocate, well, sorta... I think the overall meaning here is that it's very appropriate that Ray would say "get his Sperm on" in the sort of intonation that would be represented by Onstad capitalizing "Sperm." So... yeah.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: CortJstr on September 07, 2003, 03:18:44 am
There are many other comics where the speech bubble was proven to be a physical substance in their world, but I can't point to an instance of this behavior in Achewood.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 07, 2003, 08:47:02 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
To play Devil's Advocate, well, sorta... I think the overall meaning here is that it's very appropriate that Ray would say "get his Sperm on" in the sort of intonation that would be represented by Onstad capitalizing "Sperm." So... yeah.


RIGHT!!

And Roast Beef speaks in a monotone with little emphasis or intonation, hence the lack of capitals and punctuation except for the period, usually.

I picture Blister shouting because he is so small and hard to hear (and incorporeal) - hence the caps.

I don't understand Jough's post - I don't agree or disagree, I don't get the argument. It seems to me that in order to appreciate Achewood (or any comic or book for that matter) we have to suspend our consciousness of the medium and just let the text/pictures make the scene real for us. Otherwise we are merely criticizing the form the message takes, and it's not nearly as much fun (if we were editors, I guess that would be our job, but happily, I'm not and I assume most of us aren's either).
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: V-Adore on September 07, 2003, 06:23:22 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And Roast Beef speaks in a monotone with little emphasis or intonation, hence the lack of capitals and punctuation except for the period, usually.

I've always sort of wondered what kind of emphasis Beef was putting on sentences that ended with " !," As in "Man I'm so drunk right now !" I figure it's that sort of laconic emphasis, where we'd be getting a full exclamation if Beef cared a little more.

Quote
I picture Blister shouting because he is so small and hard to hear (and incorporeal) - hence the caps.

See, I always assumed that Blister's all-caps-ing was the textual representation of Heavenly, psychic, or other such speech as it worked in the world of mortals -- similar to how Discworld's Death TALKS IN ALL CAPS, if you don't mind the brief geeky comparison. But the strips with Beef and Blister interacting in Heaven kind of put the lie to that, since Blister doesn't talk like any of the other ghostly characters. But similarly, Todd is as small as Blister is; why isn't he shouting?
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: jough on September 08, 2003, 12:08:26 am
I don't think Blister is shouting as much as he has a hollow, ethereal voice.

Because he's dead.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: beverly on September 08, 2003, 12:54:05 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
There are many other comics where the speech bubble was proven to be a physical substance in their world, but I can't point to an instance of this behavior in Achewood.


The panels are, apparently, tangible.  Notice that Teodor is leaning on it. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02052003)
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: andalucia on September 08, 2003, 01:00:08 am
Beverly, dont see what you mean in that one....
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: beverly on September 08, 2003, 01:04:01 am
look at his arms, second to last panel
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: V-Adore on September 08, 2003, 02:19:15 am
I think that's just the angle we're seeing Teodor at in the panel; I don't think he's supposed to be literally leaning on it.

Re: Blister's voice -- I can see the "hollow ethereal voice" thing, and indeed that was my first theory (as clumsily and geekily outlined above), but it doesn't explain why Blister STILL TALKS LIKE THIS in Heaven while Beef and Molly speak normally.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: Choop on September 08, 2003, 02:38:55 am
Jesus you people are starting to scare me. That's no easy task.


Yes, beverly, it would appear that Teodor's leaning on the panel frame, with his left hand placed jauntily on his hip for full lean-based relaxation.

As for Todd's voice, maybe he suffers from voice immodulation syndrome (http://planetwill.jt.org/media/transcripts/silj.html).
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: CortJstr on September 08, 2003, 04:19:34 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Re: Blister's voice -- I can see the "hollow ethereal voice" thing, and indeed that was my first theory (as clumsily and geekily outlined above), but it doesn't explain why Blister STILL TALKS LIKE THIS in Heaven while Beef and Molly speak normally.

While Molly and Beef have the heavenly robes they lack halos. Apparently the hollow ethereal Bene Gesserit-like voice comes with the halo.

Also, we've never seen either of them on earth (while dead) to study their stuff-walk-through-itude
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: jay-ell on September 08, 2003, 05:05:05 pm
I interpret Blister's voice as a gregorian chant.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: slink on September 08, 2003, 06:22:11 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I interpret Blister's voice as a gregorian chant.


Me too now!
I hear it kind of like the dialling chant in the second Hitchhiker's Guide radio series.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 08, 2003, 06:34:26 pm
I like the chant theory best of all.
Title: Aw! Philippe in a suit!
Post by: Steve Hogan on September 09, 2003, 02:17:12 pm
I don't care what anyone sounds like.  I'm just humbled that James Bond spilled spunk on the moon and I haven't even gotten into the mile high club yet.