The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Golfhaus on February 04, 2006, 02:15:38 am

Title: The New Nerd Test
Post by: Golfhaus on February 04, 2006, 02:15:38 am
The new way to measure your nerdiness: as a measure of the sheer pleasure you get from the Uncyclopedia (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page).

Apparently, I'm a bigger nerd than ever.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: V-Adore on February 04, 2006, 07:52:01 pm
Wow, apparently I'm not nerdy at all. Who knew?
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: antioch on February 05, 2006, 01:52:51 am
OH MAN. The Mortal Kombat entry
 (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat) had me doing laugh sounds. That I find it funny 12 years after the fact is probably that Nerd Test thing.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: sunnystar on February 05, 2006, 02:15:59 am
This is the first thing I saw when I went to Uncyclopedia... (http://uncyclopedia.org/images/e/e6/I_himmler.jpg) it hurt me so much that I couldn't even go on. I had to post this instead.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: Golfhaus on February 05, 2006, 03:17:13 am
My first Uncyclopedia contribution. (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Beach_Boys)
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: antioch on February 05, 2006, 05:35:24 am
My first Uncyclopedia imminent deletion! (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Late_last_week)
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: Golfhaus on February 05, 2006, 12:08:42 pm
Apparently so... we have seven days to bring it up to their snuff.

EDIT: fixed it up a bit. whaddaya think?
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: misterqueue on February 05, 2006, 01:29:09 pm
Those guys are dicks.  They don't like any humor that isn't in their own particular idiom.  Well, they didn't like non-sequitors back when I hung out there.  Let's leave it at that.


PS I'm still AT fuck*ng WORK
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: Doc on February 05, 2006, 01:46:07 pm
Golf, regardless of anything else on that site (besides Kitten huffing, which could redeem just about anything else) your version of the beach boys may be the greatest band line up in the world.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: Golfhaus on February 05, 2006, 02:18:57 pm
Thanks, Doc. Originally Grover Cleveland was the harmonica player, but they've already developed quite an extensive history of the presidents, so I swapped him out with Aaron Burr.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: wombat on February 05, 2006, 02:34:03 pm
I find the idea of this funnier than the actual slogging through and reading most of the entries, especially the longer ones.  I'm not sure what kind of a nerd this makes me.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: V-Adore on February 05, 2006, 07:35:49 pm
Yeah, I sort of agree. The concept of a Wikipedia parody: extremely hilarious. This actual Wikipedia parody: enhhh. Realizing how much time went into this lukewarm Wikipedia parody: extreme embarrassment-by-proxy.

(I'm gonna lose a tiny can for this, I know it.)

(And then I'm gonna lose a tiny can from AD for talking about tiny cans outside of Designated Tiny-Can Speech Areas.)
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: Golfhaus on February 05, 2006, 07:59:25 pm
Not from me; different strokes and all. And there's a lot of jokes on the Uncyclopedia that fall flat. But the Grover Cleveland (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Grover_Cleveland) entry, for example, made me wet myself.

Also, the fact that today is "Peyton Manning Does Everything But Play In The Super Bowl Day."
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: V-Adore on February 05, 2006, 08:16:30 pm
Okay, I laughed at the Grover Cleveland article. That said, Uncyclopedia gets way more points from me for linking to the actual, honest-to-God Wikipedia article on Leeroy Jenkins. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeroy_Jenkins) Holy shit, it's real!

(Things like this make me question the necessity of the Uncyclopedia, since Wikipedia seems to do a fine job mocking itself...)
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: antioch on February 05, 2006, 10:17:57 pm
Apparently so... we have seven days to bring it up to their snuff.

EDIT: fixed it up a bit. whaddaya think?

Very nice, you've breathed life into it. My stub was a bit hasty. So this is something you have to actually think about and spend more than a few minutes on? Hm. I've got to try and get "X-treme! Leftism" tagged somewhere on the Unicyclopedia. 
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: wombat on February 05, 2006, 10:47:26 pm
They have a fairly useful guide to being funny, actually, that has this poorly worded but good advice:

Quote
If you spent ten seconds writing it, perhaps ten people will like it. If you spent ten minutes, you might have hundreds.

Reassuring to anyone who ever spent ten minutes rewriting one sentence.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: Bozack on February 06, 2006, 02:05:47 am
Zing. (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Dvorak)
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2006, 02:12:12 am
I need a translator, stat
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: Bozack on February 06, 2006, 02:17:47 am
Dvorak Simplified Keyboard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard#Dvorak_tools). If you translate the text on that page, it works out to something like this-

Dvorak is a keybaord used to type faster. It is well known for its ultimate performance and the eas of learning it. Dvorak isn't widely used, but the number of fans is increasink. The problem with Dvorak is that it doesn't have forent letters. That doesn't cause severe problems thoukh, sinje the "microsoft keyboard layout creator" is very easy to use.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2006, 03:01:15 am
Note to Dvorak fans: let it go. The web explosion in '96 pretty much blew any chance you had and it's time to move on. Maybe you can hook up with the "hackers are good, crackers are bad" crowd and cos-play or something.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: antioch on February 06, 2006, 05:23:29 am
Maybe you can hook up with the "hackers are good, crackers are bad" crowd and cos-play or something.

Fall Out Boy is NOT emo! Rights of Spring is emo!
Lost cause for sure, but I'd deffinitely cosplay Guy Piccioto. All no shirt and anguished expression.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: Bozack on February 06, 2006, 06:53:54 pm
I'd cosplay Guybrush Threepwood.
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 06, 2006, 07:13:37 pm
Yeah, I sort of agree. The concept of a Wikipedia parody: extremely hilarious. This actual Wikipedia parody: enhhh. Realizing how much time went into this lukewarm Wikipedia parody: extreme embarrassment-by-proxy.

(I'm gonna lose a tiny can for this, I know it.)

(And then I'm gonna lose a tiny can from AD for talking about tiny cans outside of Designated Tiny-Can Speech Areas.)

I gave you a can just to be ornery
Title: Re: The New Nerd Test
Post by: hoborg on February 15, 2006, 05:41:30 pm
OH MAN. The Mortal Kombat entry
 (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat) had me doing laugh sounds. That I find it funny 12 years after the fact is probably that Nerd Test thing.

The best part is "(bekause of that feature, it was one of the first applikations to bekome part of KDE (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/KDE))" I'm not even a linux nerd, but I've used KDE before and it was pretty much exactly like reading the uncyclopedia article about it.