The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mrchee on February 09, 2006, 09:26:54 am
-
http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=02092006 (http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=02092006)
Pretty funny, but also disturbing in a way. Beef takes this GOF pretty hell of seriously. I can just imagine a room, with 3000 polaroids on the walls..... and on each one a name, style, weakness, etc....
I think we have only begun to scratch the surface of one R. Beef Kazenzakis
EDIT: Beef is wearing some kind of weird Smith goggles. They are held on by a string. A string, people.
EDIT: Before anyone asks or accuses, I will admit that I am guilty. Regulars will know what of.
-
I'm tellin' you he killed 'em. He eff*d 'em. He cooked 'em up. He ate 'em.
He ain't got a goddamn conscience. You understand what I'm sayin' ?
-
Damn, Beef is so hardcore it's not even funny and suchlike. "You ran the dude's credit?"
Ray doesn't even worry about the fight because Ray is used to things happening for him.
Also Sound and Motion just looks like he needs and ass beating. I'm just saying.
-
Also Sound and Motion just looks like he needs and ass beating. I'm just saying.
Probably because he's a hippie, and a hippie is the worst thing anyone can be.
-
oh my god
it is the first day
the first day of
the great outdoor fight.
*heroic music starts playing*
that is all.
-
Beef sure as hell knows how to dress the part, those goggles are *exactly* what you wear when you are the guy who works out the technical details for the big hero.
So what are we thinking about the photos? From the way Perfect Ron Sipes is staring straight at the camera I get the impression that there is some rule about all contestants submitting a glamor shot or something, but that doesn't really seem in the spirit of the Fight. On the other hand if Beef managed to take these himself then that means at some point Sound and Motion was somehow projecting into the air that a lightbulb equals a butterfly (a Lightbulb equals a Butterfly! Goddamn you O and your perfect grasp of nuance).
By the way am I right in thinking Sound and motion is just one guy? He is referred to as 'one of those guys' but then it's said 'they always get in', I think the 'they' refers to 'those new age guys from Santa Cruz' so that makes Sound and Motion the one guy's name which, it hardly needs to be said, is wonderful.
-
Emergent C = Emergency?
Light bulb = Butterfly??
When will the revelations cease?!
-
Why is Sound And Motion in the Fight at all? Shouldn't he be starting up an eco-friendly car company right about now?
-
holy shit holy shit it is snowing out.
living in north carolina, this may be the only time I've ever gone to school with snow on the ground.
...normally they cancel school.
anyway:
this would have been a good occaision for a montage of strategies with no logical connections between them. like, hell of speculations would occur.
-
What does D/Q stand for? All I can think of is Dairy Queen.
-
holy shit holy shit it is snowing out.
living in north carolina, this may be the only time I've ever gone to school with snow on the ground.
...normally they cancel school.
It is snowing where I live as well. Since I live in North Carolina, this is not the surprise it might have been to others.
-
What does D/Q stand for? All I can think of is Dairy Queen.
Disqualified.
-
Well Sipes came in 3rd last year so that could be a pic from the results on the GOF '05 site. I'd think they'd have pics of the top 3 or 5 guys each year. Especially if the final battle was particularly entertaining.
I'm guessing the back of S&M's picture has a website where you can buy his eco-tacular best-itutes.
Man, Ray wants to bust out Backrub Style. That would probably frighten some people away at least.
-
holy crap don't even start!
That image is not from an actual picture. roast beef has memorized the faces of all previous GOF winners and runners-up. How could he not?
Edit: wow, I was not thinking well at all.
I was just easily excitable because a wierd awkward teenage thing was going on while I was posting.
being a teenager and talking about achewood do not mix.
so I guess I'd better get the next 2 years and some months over pretty quickly.
-
Well Sipes came in 3rd last year so that could be a pic from the results on the GOF '05 site. I'd think they'd have pics of the top 3 or 5 guys each year. Especially if the final battle was particularly entertaining.
Good thinking. I was about to suggest "mug shot," but then I noticed that Sipes isn't holding a sign with numbers on it. Anyway, I have no problem believing that Beef can get a photo of anybody he wants. We're talking about a dude who can figure out your wife's credit rating by watching you on tape.
If Beef isn't the Thomas Edison of handing a dude his ass, he's at least the Nikolai Tesla or George Washington Carver or Alexander Graham Bell of handing a dude his ass.
I also live in North Carolina. There is no snow where I am.
-
Emergent C = Emergency?
Ohhhhhhh
This is a pretty good strip; not the best in the arc but the suspense has continued to build in a way that is nearly unbearable. I really love that Beef is able to identify that a person is having financial problems just by watching video of them. I can't wait for the fight; these are very exciting times for all of us.
-
I really like how "came in third" is represented as "fell 2,997th." It took me a few seconds to parse: "hey, wait, he was one of the first three guys to go down? How does that make him a powerhouse? ... oh, wait."
Anyway, the fact that a non-winner is bac and that he can be DQed implies the possibility that Ray and Beef might still both walk out of this fight alive. I'm not sure whether to count on it, though.
-
The Dead Man reference in the alt-text brightened my morning. Guess it brightened Fila's morning too!
-
hey sorry but wouldn't 2997th be fourth ? ?
:@
-
EDIT: Before anyone asks or accuses, I will admit that I am guilty. Regulars will know what of.
Of titling the thread with a year of 2005?
-
hey sorry but wouldn't 2997th be fourth ? ?
4th overall, yeah. I was thinking 3rd runner up kind of deal
I wonder if there are ways to get DQ'd other than calling for a medic.
-
I wonder if there are ways to get DQ'd other than calling for a medic.
Carl Veldt didn't call for a Medic.
~Paul
-
Sound and Motion has to be the only guy in the GOF with a ponytail. Nothing like giving the other fighters something extra to grab to pop his head off. And what's with the crack about the Santa Cruz region, by the way? (I'm from Meeshegun.)
The first day of the actual fight is my birthday! It is a beautiful thing. And I was just hoping for a comic with Todd...
-
Oh, and if it comes to it, nobody knows Ray's weaknesses like Beef.
Strategy.
-
What does D/Q stand for? All I can think of is Dairy Queen.
Ahem (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2507.msg54801.html#msg54801).
I think Sound and Motion's moustache and Paul's moustache should fight!
(Paul's would win, because it is attached to a non-hippie, non-Crap Dude).
100 posts! All of them gold.
-
Is anyone else getting a Mike Tyson's Punch Out vibe from these extras we keep seeing? Especially being all impervious besides their one secret weakness.
-
Ray's first victim: Glass Joe.
-
Recumbent Tai-Chi brought the major laughs.
And yes I wouldn't mind if tomorrow was just filler in the form of many contestants' profiles and weaknesses.
And my mind continually boggles that all this is happening just because Ray wants to keep his mother from finding out about a business that entails selling rubber testicles that attach to cellular phones.
-
Ray's first victim: Glass Joe.
Oh lord, if Ray's first punch was to a dude who looked like Glass Joe, I'd intentionally wet myself.
INTENTIONALLY!
-
The last panel of this comic makes me think we aren't going to see a single frame of this fight.
-
When it comes to getting something he really wants (Roombas) Beef has displayed his malicious streak. It's just a question of inspiration.
Just... man... what is the inspiration?
Ray: you have severely dissapointed me. I thought you would be just the tiniest bit more prepared than you are, but you have fell short even of that.
Ray's unpreparedness is clearly evidenced by the position in which he is sitting and leaning against a piece of wood which comes straight out of the ground and extends to the heavens. I like this position he is sitting in. Obviously, the wood represents Beef. Also, it is a clever way to slip in "da ballz."
Man, just look at him hold that soda. Doesn't his arm get tired?
...perhaps I am wrong about his preparedness.
Who dusted the Polish?
-
Any story arc which would cause a reader to intentionally wet himself has to be pure quality.
The prosecution rests.
-
I think my favorite part of this whole strip is imagining a single person who calls himself Sound and Motion. Not Sound, not Motion. He's both. Not even The Sound and Motion. He is not an example of sound and motion, but the one true physical embodiment. He is so new-age as to defy the laws of plurality and definite articles. Now that is new-age.
-
That is someone fixin' to get his ass beat down in the first minute.
Re: the comment on "we're not going to see a single frame of the fight itself," this has concerned me as well. We are all unanimous, I'm sure, in that the Day One strip is THE MOST ANTICIPATED SINGLE STRIP EVER. Bigger than What Happens To Philippe in the Ice Cream Shop arc, bigger than What Happens Next To Ray in the CH arc. Because those were pretty open-ended. We didn't know what was going to happen until it did. But we know what is going to happen here: There is going to be a Fight. Do Mssrs. Smuckles and Kazenzakis thrive? Do they survive? It is hard to say. But there is a Fight, a glorious Fight, a mass of men undulating back and forth in violence, where hoping for mercy is a disqualification, and a disqualification is preferable only to Death itself.
How the fuck is Chris supposed to draw that in a way that satifies the absolute bloodlust we have for it at this point?
-
How the fuck is Chris supposed to draw that in a way that satifies the absolute bloodlust we have for it at this point?
A whole week off and a gallon of Scotch? Maybe contemplating what he's doing with his life. Something like that I'd guess.
-
He better not skip a day now - it's Friday. Waiting the whole weekend for it will just make it that much more anticlimatic.
-
He better not skip a day now - it's Friday. Waiting the whole weekend for it will just make it that much more anticlimactic.
You mean IF he doesnt deliver. I would excuse skipping Friday if and only if Monday's strip was completely mind blowing!
-
OK, those of you who are awake at night - Is there a time that he usually updates, when he updates on time? Because I'm thinking of setting the alarm clock.
-
I've found that if tomorrow's strip isn't up by 11 PST, there's a good I'll be waking up to a "Strip returns Tuesday!" or whatever the case may be. But a lot of times he'll update it at some ungoldy hour of the night that I can't be bothered to anticipate. Wow, that didn't really help at all! Sorry.
-
OK, those of you who are awake at night - Is there a time that he usually updates, when he updates on time? Because I'm thinking of setting the alarm clock.
Usually 3am EST. Sometimes earlier, but never later than that.
-
i'm anticipating fuck you friday.
this is the best comic strip story arc in the history of comic strip story arcs.
-
i'm anticipating fuck you friday.
this is the best comic strip story arc in the history of comic strip story arcs.
I dunno. That time Garfield was squashing spiders in a new way each day was pretty gripping.
-
I am proud to be here in a moment of comics history.
I think this will be a more important moment in the history of comics than the first time Cathy said "ack!"
-
And my mind continually boggles that all this is happening just because Ray wants to keep his mother from finding out about a business that entails selling rubber testicles that attach to cellular phones.
i completely forgot about the cell phone testes business. too caught up in drama
-
Please join us when Great Outdoor Fight coverage resumes Monday, February 13th!
All this positivity jinxed it!
-
The bastard, how he toys with us.
-
Eh, I find myself not minding. Every time during this arc that he's missed a day, he's rewarded us later with furious comic action. I have no doubt that he's spending this time giving us the biggest and highest-quality Day One coverage possible.
(A girl can dream, can't she?)
-
i completely forgot about the cell phone testes business. too caught up in drama
And it was Todd who started it all, to boot. Thank you, Todd. I'd give you six frikkin' million dollars if I had it.
-
(A girl can dream, can't she?)
Amen, sister.
-
Damn you 'Stad! Damn you!
I swear to all that is unholy that if someone hunts him down and snaps a photo of him wherein all he is doing is drinking Scotch on the couch I will personally explode.
I. will. explode.
This is not a reasonable response. I could've taken a whole weekend break during the silly LN suicide arc, but not this one.
-
He's going to be busy attending the TOUAMBIES.
~Paul
-
I swear to all that is unholy that if someone hunts him down and snaps a photo of him wherein all he is doing is drinking Scotch on the couch I will personally explode.
I. will. explode.
If Q explodes I get his stuff.
-
If Q explodes I get his stuff.
*GASP* Not my burrito collection!
-
*GASP* Not my burrito collection!
Hey I called it. And if you're in little gooey pieces you won't be able to enjoy it* anyway
and by "enjoy" I mean "sell on eBay"
-
Sorry to off-topic the off-topic, but...it will amuse me if Beef is using Ray to ride to 2,999th, and then uses his own Ray exploit to take the Fight.
go Beef go
-
I'm pretty sure Ray is like 99 weaknesses and one strength. There are MYRIAD ways to take down Ray.
-
I'm pretty sure Ray is like 99 weaknesses and one strength. There are MYRIAD ways to take down Ray.
Roast Beef is secretly a master of Sour Cream Lid Style kung fu. He's also dabbled in Something Shiny, Hey Look Somebody's Messing With Your Car, and Having Tina Call Your Cell styles.
-
Roast Beef is secretly a master of Sour Cream Lid Style kung fu. He's also dabbled in Something Shiny, Hey Look Somebody's Messing With Your Car, and Having Tina Call Your Cell styles.
You forgot the I'm Gonna Get You Split on Green.
Men fall around Ray as he tries to sell the sidecar on eBay
-
I'm pretty sure Ray is like 99 weaknesses and one strength. There are MYRIAD ways to take down Ray.
Oh, good point. But then I guess his Ray exploit would be "I'm the one who told him how to beat 2,998 of you."
-
the fact that there are "ray exploits" makes me glad.
"oh man, if you pause right when Ray gives you the gold pieces, he'll give you them again, as many times as you want!"
-
the fact that there are "ray exploits" makes me glad.
"oh man, if you pause right when Ray gives you the gold pieces, he'll give you them again, as many times as you want!"
This is probably true. If Ray gives you ten bucks, then you suddenly freeze up in place, stare at the wall for a few seconds, and then resume conversation, I imagine he will give you another sawbuck.