The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2006, 07:19:47 pm

Title: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2006, 07:19:47 pm
Our Melanie is having health problems.  I always feel helpless when I hear that a friend is sick.  The only thing I know to do in these situations is send out prayers, best wishes, mojo, whatever you want to call it.  TOUAMB is about caring so everybody please show Side Show you care by keeping her in your thoughts and prayers.  Melanie, we are praying for you, get well quick, you have been missed.

~Paul
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: misterqueue on February 09, 2006, 08:25:26 pm
Indeed, much love is being sent to the North in the hopes that the Smells gets better soon!  So much love the board cannot handle it.  CAN YOU HANDLE THE LOVE?!

Yes, do get better and soon.  It's all just not the same.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: CortJstr on February 09, 2006, 08:52:18 pm
Indeed, much love is being sent to the North in the hopes that the Smells gets better soon!  So much love the board cannot handle it.  CAN YOU HANDLE THE LOVE?!

That's all we need. The doctor all being, "well it turned out to just be a fairly routine infection and was easily treatable. But there was a sudden influx of love from this area (points to Jough's server on a map) and her system just couldn't handle it. Her lymph nodes are the size of cats and her kidneys appear not unlike weiner dogs. She just can't handle this much love. We have to perform a loveotomy."
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: misterqueue on February 09, 2006, 08:54:51 pm
We have to perform a loveotomy."

How could you-  how would that happens?  Would you need a syringe? 

I just... man I just cannot fathom.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: acoxcae on February 09, 2006, 08:55:05 pm
Oh man, a lovectomy sounds pretty painful - so here's hoping that doesn't happen either.

Get well, smells!  How will we survive without your stories of drag queen car tampering and other such entertainment?

We won't, that's how!  So bring home good news tomorrow.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: V-Adore on February 09, 2006, 10:22:07 pm
It's difficult to convey over the Internet the sheer magnitude of happiness received from another's involvement in your life, but I try, side_show. Take care, and godspeed back to us, all right? We'll miss you, from your drag-queen stories to your cat-in-a-tie avatar.

(So sue me. I'm an easy mark for a cat in a tie.)
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: arkabee on February 09, 2006, 10:53:43 pm
wtf?  this is no good at all.  not good.  side show don't need to be ill, at all, in any way.

thank you for the heads up, paul.  like, if she or her's need anything, uh, will you keep us posted?
new house, and etc, it can be hard.  but, like, canadians have healthcare right?
she's got doctor resources and stuff, right?

side show, please be ok.  reading your posts makes me strive to be less of an asshole in the world,
where-as most every other thing appears to be doing the opposite. 

please get better soon and then you'll have all kinds of good stories and whatnot.  and eat lots of soup,
supposedy it is good for you.  soup is good food.  i saw that on teevee.  ok, maybe soup isn't good,
the teevee lies sometimes.

please get better.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: idiomsavant on February 09, 2006, 10:54:43 pm
How could you-  how would that happens?  Would you need a syringe? 

I just... man I just cannot fathom.
A loveotomy would be a cut or incision into the love. A lovectomy would be a surgical removal of the love. And, of course, a loveostomy would be the creation of a stoma (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01122005) (an artificial opening) in the love.

Side Show, I'm new here, but I, too, hope you'll be OK. The words that you have written that I have read on my computer have amused me.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Doc on February 09, 2006, 11:08:33 pm
Come on Side_show get your bad self better! We need random stories every occasion! You cannot leave us before you have imparted all your wisdom from a life of wacky shenanigans!
I may be over-doing the exclamation marks!
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: CortJstr on February 09, 2006, 11:59:46 pm
A loveotomy would be a cut or incision into the love. A lovectomy would be a surgical removal of the love. And, of course, a loveostomy would be the creation of a stoma (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01122005) (an artificial opening) in the love.

Side Show, I'm new here, but I, too, hope you'll be OK. The words that you have written that I have read on my computer have amused me.

Sounds like you read the Straight Dope also.

I think the first step in a lovetomy would be a DDOS attack on TOUAMB. Followed by poking Smells' love receptors (located under the shoulder blades, btw). Hopefully the drastic step of a lovectomy will never be necessary because that would be The Saddest Thing.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: misterqueue on February 10, 2006, 12:49:40 am
Sounds like you read the Straight Dope also.

I think the first step in a lovetomy would be a DDOS attack on TOUAMB. Followed by poking Smells' love receptors (located under the shoulder blades, btw). Hopefully the drastic step of a lovectomy will never be necessary because that would be The Saddest Thing.

Can we still try to poke at Smells even if it's not necessary? This sounds like a rousing good time for all concerned.


 When she feels better of course.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: idiomsavant on February 10, 2006, 12:52:13 am
Sounds like you read the Straight Dope also.

I think the first step in a lovetomy would be a DDOS attack on TOUAMB. Followed by poking Smells' love receptors (located under the shoulder blades, btw). Hopefully the drastic step of a lovectomy will never be necessary because that would be The Saddest Thing.
Actually, I had to study up on surgical suffixes for work; I write about vaguely medical shit. Were I aware that this knowledge was available on the Straight Dope, it would have made my life easier. But, hey, this isn't about me.

Yes, a lovectomy (Lovectomy? It nearly killed 'im... y!) would be The Saddest Thing, but there's always the possibility of a loveplasty, surgical repair of the love. What the world needs now is love, sweet love... and what we need more of is science.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: AugustWest on February 10, 2006, 01:31:20 am
I am firing up my mojo wire to send hell of mojo to Smells.

Feel Better! 
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Hobot on February 10, 2006, 02:06:18 am
If one performs a biopsy on the Love, one will discover that it is filled with glitter, rainbows, and kittens.

Get well soon, side_show! Your anecdotes warm the cockles of my heart.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: CortJstr on February 10, 2006, 02:31:39 am
Your anecdotes warm the cockles of my heart.

Dammit, now I have the song Asshole stuck in my head.


maybe in the liver, maybe even the colon
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: theinevitable on February 10, 2006, 03:42:42 am
I have a burning house of love for side_show.

The idea that she would need a love-o-plasty is highly offensive to me. Are you suggesting there isn't already enough love?
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: robot_god on February 10, 2006, 05:10:09 am
The internet is an awkward place.  I don't know what to say.

I hope everything is ok.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: jough on February 10, 2006, 06:29:45 am
Get well soon, Smells.  Our healthy wishes and thoughts are with you.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Bozack on February 10, 2006, 06:19:53 pm
Indeed. Recuperate! If you need plasma, blood, CNS or semen, well....you can borrow my carpet.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: side_show on February 11, 2006, 02:51:39 pm
Thanks all.  I am feeling the love.  Indeed I take all the love and then some.  Like Bozack's carpet, I will simply absorb it all.

We did all the tests yesterday, including the unpleasantness of being in stirrups and 7 vials of blood (on top of the other tests done earlier this week, and last week).  My vein actually collapsed on the first vile, and the lab guy was pleased that I was not the nervous/queasy type as I pumped my fist maniacally to get the blood flowing in little surges into the vials.  It was intense.  I peed into a cup and was embarrassed to give my warm cup o' pee over to said lab guy.  Also, as I was then sent to get X-rays after that, I was sitting in the empty waiting room and in walked a mustachioed man, and though he had major handle bars not curly-ques, I still took it as a sign and thought of Paul and y'all/ya'll and your kindness for a moment.

It's going to be a week of tense waiting - the results will be in on Friday. 
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: wombat on February 11, 2006, 03:15:21 pm
The Mustachioed Man.  He is a Good Omen.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Bozack on February 11, 2006, 07:08:52 pm
My grandfather once went to a physical with an apple-juice-box in his pocket. When he went to collect a urine sample, he poured it into the cup. When the doctor noticed that the urine seemed off, my grandfather said, "It probably just needs to be run through again.", grabbed the cup and chugged it.
I think my grandfather was actually some sort of prankster god.
Good luck!
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: CortJstr on February 11, 2006, 07:11:45 pm
I am in awe
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: misterqueue on February 11, 2006, 07:14:22 pm

I think my grandfather was actually some sort of prankster god.


Did he also bury fossils everywhere?
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Bozack on February 11, 2006, 07:15:56 pm
You idiot! That was one of God's EASIEST jokes!
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: misterqueue on February 11, 2006, 07:30:40 pm
It seemed so plausible!



AAAAAaaaaaaaahhhh
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: theinevitable on February 11, 2006, 10:48:21 pm
bozack--
a similar joke is in a book I read (it was some short story collection by Larry Niven). I always hoped that somewhere, at some time, someone had actually done it.

my life is so much better now.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Doc on February 12, 2006, 05:38:56 am
Man I can't wait till I'm 60 or so, I just feel I couldn't get away with a joke like that until then.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: pmcd9 on February 13, 2006, 09:02:18 pm
The mustachioed man was there to tell you that everything is going to be alright.

~Paul
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: V-Adore on February 14, 2006, 01:57:07 am
The mustachioed man was there to tell you that everything is going to be alright.

~Paul

I'm glad to see the Guild of Mustaches is keeping their good work up. You guys do good work, Paul; you're like shriners, except with facial hair instead of tiny cars. (Or maybe facial hair in addition to tiny cars. Tiny, firebreathing cars!)
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Hobot on February 14, 2006, 02:12:41 am
I'm glad to see the Guild of Mustaches is keeping their good work up. You guys do good work, Paul; you're like shriners, except with facial hair instead of tiny cars. (Or maybe facial hair in addition to tiny cars. Tiny, firebreathing cars!)

Does the Guild have Muttonchop Artisans?
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: side_show on February 18, 2006, 03:57:54 pm
Good news:

I'm all for signs, to the point of being superstitious, and if the mustachioed man was a sign for the good, I took the huge puddle of ketchup to be for the bad.  See yesterday was my test results day, and as I entered the bus stop of the place I needed to wait for the bus that would take me to the doctors, I had to side step a huge puddle of ketchup.  It was and inexplicable large puddle - larger than any puddle of ketchup that could have come from any normal sized bottle of ketchup.  I stared at the puddle the entire time I was waiting for my bus, trying to make sense of it.  It looked a lot like blood, but was clearly ketchup.  I took it as an ominous sign, and, as I was basically terrified to go to the doctors, everything was a "bad sign" to me yesterday.  It was so much ketchup.

Anyway, the hour bus ride to the doctors felt even longer than an hour bus ride normally does, I got there, the lobby was full, I waited, I went in, the doctor came, the test results were reviewed.  No cancer, no diabetes, no liver problems... it went on like that.  Basically, my doctor was unable to find anything specific wrong with me other than the pre-existing autoimmune problem that I've had for 10 years, and his test results confirmed that this condition is getting better, not worse.  The only test that came back out of the normal was one that detects non-specific inflammation.  He's going to retest this in a month to see if it's still elevated, and if so, we can try to figure out what's causing it.

I staggered out of the doctor's office in a daze.  I'd basically convinced myself I was dying. My maternal grandmother died when she was 6 years older than I am now of health complications related to problems with her liver, and I've had an uncle on each side die at my age - one of cancer and another of unexplained circumstances.   I was sleeping up to 18 hours a day, and had almost no ability to function due to total exhaustion. It actually took me several hours to realize I'd gotten good news, since I had spent over a week prepairing for bad news. 

What my exhaustion basically boils down to is that my hormones are out of wack because my body's started to produce more hormone on it's own (my thyroid gland is getting stronger, which stimulates the Adrenal gland) while I've been taking synthetic hormones that are actually too high, which caused my body (heart rate and overall immune functioning) to go into overdrive to the point where I was worn to physical exhaustion - hence why I felt so good, and then so suddenly ill - I had an adrenalin high until I basically crashed.  I'm sick because I was over medicated.  So I'm on a lower dose of medication now, and the adjustment should hopefully balance things out in three weeks, and I'll go back in in about a month to test my blood again.

Yay!
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: CortJstr on February 18, 2006, 04:34:59 pm
Yay for lack of diseases!
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2006, 04:37:04 pm
Where is the smilie for 'huge sigh of relief'?
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Mantonio on February 18, 2006, 04:40:08 pm
Man, this is sweet news. Side Show's gonna live! Here's a tall cold one to big-ass puddles of ketchup. And a tiny can of Dr. Pepper for Side Show.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: misterqueue on February 18, 2006, 05:12:05 pm
Damn smells, you just made my day.


A million tiny hugs to the north of the border, for you!
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 05:13:23 pm
Anyway, the hour bus ride to the doctors felt even longer than an hour bus ride normally does

That must have been one hell of a long bus ride.  And 50 below to boot.  Yeah, where is the :) for huge sigh of relief?  Three cheers for Side Show sticking around for a long time.

The Mustache Guild has done it's job*.

~Paul

*I don't know what that means, but I really like the sound of Moustache Guild
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: CortJstr on February 18, 2006, 05:44:44 pm
That must have been one hell of a long bus ride.  And 50 below to boot.  Yeah, where is the :) for huge sigh of relief?  Three cheers for Side Show sticking around for a long time.

The Mustache Guild has done it's job*.

~Paul

*I don't know what that means, but I really like the sound of Moustache Guild

Paul, fly to Japan right now and demand that they make a sequel to Earthbound with the Mustache Guild. It wouldn't hurt for them to show up in the next Miyazaki film, either.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: acoxcae on February 18, 2006, 05:46:06 pm
Good news:
...

HOORAY!
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: idiomsavant on February 18, 2006, 06:44:55 pm
Right the fuck on! This news makes me happy.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: theinevitable on February 18, 2006, 07:03:58 pm
requesting permission to pick you up and twirl you around like a giddy schoolboy, marm. (me being the schoolboy)
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: jough on February 18, 2006, 07:33:12 pm
So I can stop tearing up every time I read one of yours posts, Smells?

That cold wind you feel blowing is my huge sigh of relief.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 07:36:01 pm
So I can stop tearing up every time I read one of yours posts, Smells?

That cold wind you feel blowing is my huge sigh of relief.

You know Jough, now that Smells is feeling better she might want to purchase one of your t-shirts (http://wordfront.com/wares/).

~Paul
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: jough on February 18, 2006, 07:43:48 pm
Double true, Paul.  T-shirts make great gifts, too.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: AugustWest on February 19, 2006, 02:23:12 am
Yay!
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Nabubrush on February 19, 2006, 04:42:12 am
Rock.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Doc on February 19, 2006, 11:27:28 am
Awesome news side show, though should have known you were ok so long as you didn't see a roller skate.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 20, 2006, 03:26:18 am
Quality.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: V-Adore on February 20, 2006, 04:20:36 am
Belated hooray for non-illness!
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: sunnystar on February 20, 2006, 12:51:43 pm
I am pleased that you are a happy non-sick Smells. HOORAY! TCoDP for you!
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: Golfhaus on February 20, 2006, 02:13:59 pm
Well, that's good to hear. I'm too relieved at the moment to make a "too many hormones" joke, but give me time, and I'll get there.
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: side_show on February 20, 2006, 02:46:49 pm
I'm waiting Golfhaus...
Title: Re: Mojo for Side Show
Post by: AugustWest on February 20, 2006, 05:16:56 pm
....Don't pay her.