The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Mr. Gary on February 13, 2006, 06:45:15 am
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02132006
Ray's Stubbs persona is amazing. Hat, expressions, and manner of speaking included.
"I see you been out pickin' up trash! Why you bring it back here?" Wicked. I love the hangers-on, especially the awkward-looking guy with an aviator's cap and the barcode-like tattoo. Ray's ranks are already swelling. Also, I like it that Beef, who is really the brains of the operation, is acting the good cop/the subservient sidekick.
Best arc. Best arc!
Also, the queue in front of the gate, with the skull (?) mounted on top is a nice touch.
EDIT: How did I not pick up on the fact that it was a Black Flag tattoo? Probably because I haven't got the straight edge.
-
The Black Flag tattoo was a nice touch.
Gotta say that this was underwhelming after the build-up.
-
Yeah, definitely a bit underwhelming. I'm not sure what to make of that ragtag group, especially the guy on the far left with the odd bulge in the bathing suit area.
-
I don't really know why this thread is being used rather than the other, but whatever!
Shirts!
Strip's okay.
-
'cos this one has the correct thread title.
I don't know how much help those dudes are going to offer the son of Rodney, that looks like one ragtag bunch of cats. I just noticed melack already used the adjective "ragtag" but they are so ragtag it bears repeating.
Ragtag.
-
dang.
I was hoping I'd be the first person to explain that that was a Black Flag tattoo.
I guess that dudes that like black flag are likely to: want to kill other men, or read comics about alive stuffed animals.
-
I am confused by the fact that the guy on the far right appears to also be wearing a Chochacho medal. Does this indicate that I've been reading too much into this and it's just how Onstad draws all medallions? Also, the one in the aviator's helmet looks more like Beef than I am entirely comfortable with.
Loving this storyline, can't wait to see where it goes, &c. This is definitely giving Chris the opportunity to flex his artistic muscles.
-
so, um.
I just had a Roast Beef moment. not in terms of sudden cleverness, but, in fact, in terms of sarcastically criticizing something until it enraged a lady.
it was knitting. which makes it even better.
also: I, too, am worried about the prowess of the Ragtaggers.
-
My favorite part is Ray making up the parts of the Stubbs mystique that he doesn't know. "You know a Stubbs can't go back on his word!" Hell, for all he knows, R.L. lied to every man he ever met. And twice to the ones he met at the GOF. Lie #1 was probably "Stick with me, and I won't kill you." Lie #2 was probably, "Well, not until the third day, at least."
-
I don't have too many insights other than the fact that the skull over the gate is the same skull seen talking to Cornelius here (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01182002).
This has been our OCD comic fan moment of the day. I hope you have enjoyed it.
-
The guy 2nd from the left is straight out of the last 2 El Mariachi movies. I bet he's covered in throwing knives.
The guy on the right clearly has a replica medallion designed to look just like the one Stubbs wore. You can get it out of those Highlander/Xena catalogues you see advertised on WGN.
-
Do we think that this whole bit was planned in advance to give Ray an excuse to have a posse but still be hard?
I mean Ray doesn't wake that quickly and he had the hat ready to go as soon as he woke up. Plus the turn around from total rejection to begrudging acceptance seems a lot faster than if he really wanted to stand alone.
Cort: I am guessing you mean Danny Trejo's characters? I had a similar Robert Rodriguez related idea, it is my belief that that fellow is 'Sex Machine' from From dusk till dawn.
-
I guess that dudes that like black flag are likely to: want to kill other men, or read comics about alive stuffed animals.
... or write them.
DANG. you might think Ray's fuck*ng shit up, but it is The Plan.
-
Cort: I am guessing you mean Danny Trejo's characters? I had a similar Robert Rodriguez related idea, it is my belief that that fellow is 'Sex Machine' from From dusk till dawn.
Yeah, him. It's the vest and mustache
-
Do we think that this whole bit was planned in advance to give Ray an excuse to have a posse but still be hard?
I mean Ray doesn't wake that quickly and he had the hat ready to go as soon as he woke up. Plus the turn around from total rejection to begrudging acceptance seems a lot faster than if he really wanted to stand alone.
Yeah, everything Ray says has the smell of Beef having said okay Ray here is what you do when I give you the signal which will be "shake a leg" all over it. Now I'm just waiting for Ray to somehow take tactical advantage of his new reputation for unswerving promise-fidelity. I don't really know how that could work, but surely Onstad can come up with something. "I'm kicking your ass, because you know a Stubbs can't go back on his word."
-
I think y'all got it all wrong. Ray is clueless, if Beef let him in on the plan he would try to take charge of it and fuck it up. But Beef knows Ray even better than he knows the fight and he is playing the puppet master role like a fuck*ng genius.
~Paul
-
You all are idiots. Ray and Beef have been friends for the longest time, with a compassion and understanding that will outlast any issue. Beef won't screw Ray over, it's not in his style, I mean for God's sake he saw the dude's stew. And Ray and Beef can totally execute a complex plan together without Ray fuck*ng it up, like singing about "escaping starvation in the richest country in the history of the world," or the notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N., because they do that sort of thing just like old times!
-
On top of the Black Flag tattoo, the dude has on an old school leather motorcycle helmet, and Beef's still has his goggles on. That's been the best part of this arc for me, other than the actual story. I still think Beef wins the fight in the end.
-
What do they do, just file in and get to clobbering after a whistle blows?
Onstad is really building up the suspense here, I must give him that.
-
I got the impression that this was all planned, but look at his expression in panel 9. It's pretty intense, for Ray at least. Is he that good of an actor? Or, is he overacting?
YET ... there is something about this interaction which seems very choreographed.
I like Beef's pause on "I ... I gave my word."
Man. I don't know. This strip is suspenseful, even though not that much happened.
-
I think y'all got it all wrong. Ray is clueless, if Beef let him in on the plan he would try to take charge of it and fuck it up. But Beef knows Ray even better than he knows the fight and he is playing the puppet master role like a fuck*ng genius.
I agree, though Beef is definitely not trying to take advantage of Ray, he's just trying to help him in the only way that Ray can be helped sometimes: subterfuge. Just because they do L.I.N.C.O.L.N. together doesn't mean that Ray will follow advice from Beef that doesn't make sense to him or agree with his ideals (i.e. standing alone).
I kinda (definitely) see this thread ending in a vengeance situation, where either Beef or Ray goes down and the other flies into a Hulk like fury and decimates what remains of the field. I would say that the fallen friend's wounds would wind up being non-fatal, but death is non-fatal in this strip, so...
-
On top of the Black Flag tattoo, the dude has on an old school leather motorcycle helmet...
Also he has No-No's eyes, which freaks me the hell out.
-
I don't think it was planned, or at least planned between the two of them. Beef knows that the two of them together aren't going to get the job done. They will need an army, and why wait until the first day to recruit when you have the son of Stubbs as a draw? They have attracted four before the first punch was thrown.
-
You know there's probably something wrong with the skinny guy wearing the leather helmet. By wrong I mean "a scary dude whose idea of a good time involves blood and blunt objects".
Honestly, the more I look at him there's just something unnerving about him, but I suspect that's just me and he'll just be another piece of cannon fodder.
-
The thing, I think, about Ray and Beef in the fight is that the Great Outdoor Fight can only have one winner, and Beef understands this. He's willing to help Ray prove his father's legacy, but he's not going to throw the fight to Ray. If he ends up beating Ray, it isn't malice or treachery; it's just what a man in the Great Outdoor Fight has to do. This is man-time, and Beef has to come real.
-
Another thing that most of you have gotten wrong, these so called "cannon fodder" that Beef has recruited, look to me like some serious bad asses and they are going to punish in one hour. They are going to kick rich amount of ass. Beef knows this is necessary so he ain't recuit a bunch of pansies.
One thing you do have right, Beef ain't doing this for Ray.
~Paul
-
Beef has to believe he can take Ray in a fight. Ray probably believes that he can take Beef in a fight. Beef would probably win because Ray has too much heart congestion.