The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Golfhaus on February 13, 2006, 06:05:12 pm

Title: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Golfhaus on February 13, 2006, 06:05:12 pm
So, in addition to changing himself from that pasty heroin-chic look he had that we all loved to this steroid-fueled calamity he's sporting now, Trent Reznor recently did the voiceover work for a video by PETA about the fur trade (http://www.furisdead.com/feat-trentreznor.asp).

What the hell happened to you, Trent? You used to be so.... cool.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 14, 2006, 02:19:47 am
Hi! I'm ***** roll call! You might remember me from my excited posts about attending a NIN concert a few months back.

Yeah, I am a fan.  But between the political posturing and this Peta stuff...well let's just say I wish the dude would have a relapse and go back to making the kind of music a dude with a drug problem would make (ie The Downward Spiral etc). Well...that's a terrible thing to say. I don't mean it. I think.

Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Golfhaus on February 14, 2006, 12:57:08 pm
I find it funny that PETA's biography of Trent Reznor's work fails to mention the giant pig head that featured as a prop in the "Closer" video, or the bear rug he used in the video for "The Perfect Drug." Apparently, those sins could be forgiven when the celeb in question wishes to cooperate.

And I liked With Teeth... a little bit. It's not TDS, or even The Fragile, but it wasn't... awful.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: side_show on February 14, 2006, 02:31:24 pm
Yeah, what happened to Trent Reznor?  He went from looking like the guy who got beat up by the jocks, to looking like the guy who beats up pasty losers.

Also, I have seen a scary NIN home video thing where Marilyn Mason and Reznor too turns chasing each other with a dismembered and skinned dog head... So basically, shut the fuck up dude.  You suck. 

It must be hard though.  You really can't top the Downward Spiral.  It's too good.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: sjlimmer on February 14, 2006, 02:49:51 pm
Yet again Trent Reznor tries to steal moves form better (or at least more interesting) musicians:

See Skinny Puppy - "Ode to Groovy" on the In Defense of Animals comp.

I kid, I kid.  Although NINs recent work hasn't done much for me, I figured it's because I don't really listen to that kind of stuff as much anymore.

Except for KMFDM.  And Ministry.  And old NIN.  God I'm pathetic.  I'm too old to be doing this.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2006, 03:53:24 pm
I don't really listen to that kind of stuff as much anymore.

Except for KMFDM.  And Ministry.  And old NIN.  God I'm pathetic.  I'm too old to be doing this.

At least you didn't say MDFMK
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2006, 04:05:52 pm
I know you'd all be disappointed if I didn't pop in to say that I have no idea who Trent Reznor is.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 14, 2006, 04:14:07 pm
I know you'd all be disappointed if I didn't pop in to say that I have no idea who Trent Reznor is.

THis  (http://mason.gmu.edu/~cfuchs/reznor.gif)is pretty much all you need to know womby.  It is self-explanatory.

Note: In trying to find the perfect sum-up piccie of Trent for womby, I ran across current pics.  I agree.. WTF.  Guy's a douche now.

Then again I haven't listened to him much since like 2000 so, you know, maybe he's been a douche for a while and I did not notice; because I pretend to have a life.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2006, 04:50:40 pm
THis  (http://mason.gmu.edu/~cfuchs/reznor.gif)is pretty much all you need to know womby. 

My word, these kids today.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Hobot on February 14, 2006, 05:14:02 pm
I was going to comment on the thread yesterday about how much I loved Trent Reznor's appearance in an ATHF episode ("Cybernetic Christmas Ghost of the Past from the Future").  But when I Googled the episode to look up some funny quotes to use, I discovered that the episode, in fact, featured Glenn Danzig.

In conclusion: Before reading that Reznor was/is (frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn) part of NIN, I thought that he and Glenn Danzig were the same person.

(Like Leslie Neilson and that guy with the white-hair-black-eyebrows combination on "Dancing with the Stars.")
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 14, 2006, 05:16:26 pm
(Like Leslie Neilson and that guy with the white-hair-black-eyebrows combination on "Dancing with the Stars.")

Phil Donahue? Ed Mcmahon? Martha Rae, Denture Wearer?

I can think of like 50 of those lookalikes.


Anyway Danzig was the guy who would beat up guys that looked like what Reznor used to look like.

Or to put it less confoundedly, I DO NOT CARE ANYMORE.  I AM SORRY ABOUT THIS.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 14, 2006, 07:04:11 pm
(http://www.neverflash.com/kingdom/01/misfits_bilder/crimsonghost.jpg) (http://www.southern.com/BURNINGFLAGS/pics/crashsite4/danzig2.gif) vs. (http://i.esmas.com/image/0/000/004/278/Trent_NT_.jpg) (http://pineconelady.com/art/PetaLogo.gif)
Crimson Ghost                                                     Danzig                                                        Trent Reznor                                   Peta



Danzig with backup from the Crimson Ghost would dominate over Reznor and Peta.


Damn, Danzig was so small back then.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 14, 2006, 07:08:13 pm
You missed the douche Reznor though:

(http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/8220/trentkerry2ua.jpg)


Actually he kinda looks like John Kerry.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 14, 2006, 07:23:46 pm
[answering phone] "WFNM!"
"Yeah, could you play 'Head Like a Hole?'"
"NO!  Buy the album!" [slams down phone]

This exchange was repeated over and over during my college radio days.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: idiomsavant on February 14, 2006, 10:29:25 pm
[answering phone] "WFNM!"
"Yeah, could you play 'Head Like a Hole?'"
"NO!  Buy the album!" [slams down phone]

This exchange was repeated over and over during my college radio days.
Replace "Head Like a Hole" with "I Melt With You" (which was already a few years old by then), and you've got a day in the life of my college station. 

It was a more innocent time.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 15, 2006, 01:02:22 am
I know you'd all be disappointed if I didn't pop in to say that I have no idea who Trent Reznor is.

RHEUMATRON HAS ACCESSED A RESTRICTED AREA. BEGIN GERIATRIC CONTAINMENT ALGORITHM. RELOCATE WOMBAT TO CAROUSEL. AT THE BEEP THE TIME WILL BE 00:00, 21 CAPRICORN
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: theinevitable on February 15, 2006, 03:49:07 am
why is it ok to like NIN? WHYYYY

I dunno. A friend of mine dated a guy who was really into them, and he took it all wayyy too seriously. she basically ended up in therapy because of him.

they are gross.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: littlefox on February 15, 2006, 04:18:57 am
I'm the only normal person I know who likes NIN. But GOD is Trent crazy (and ugly as sin). Is it possible to hate someone but like their music? YES. Beethoven was kind of a dick, too. Shit, why did I make that comparison? Beethoven was WAY less of a dick.

With Teeth was bearable.  It's no "Fragile," but it does the job.

Downward Spiral is MAD overrated. Please do not shoot me in the face for saying that.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 15, 2006, 04:51:56 am
I like the song "Only" by the Nine Inch Nails. I can feel myself losing cans.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: theinevitable on February 15, 2006, 04:56:19 am
*****_roll_call--
I can top your "I wish he'd be on drugs again"...
I told my girlfriend that a local band, multiple members of which she is friends with, sounded better on their first album. that the new ones were too calm.
and that they should go back to making music like that.

apparently, the reason they were such good rockers is that they were all drug addicts of one kind or another.

so, that was awkward for me.
the first album was better, though. Now they're trying to sound all mature and crap.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Golfhaus on February 15, 2006, 04:14:12 pm
I like the song "Only" by the Nine Inch Nails. I can feel myself losing cans.

I'll stand with you there. It ain't bad. I mentioned to Sara the other day while we were discussing this that bad NIN is still better than a lot of crap out there.

That was before PETA, though. Now I ain't so sure.

I'm actually considering writing a letter to PETA asking them about Trent's past... carefee nature concerning animals. I like writing letters.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 15, 2006, 04:20:20 pm
I like reading angry letters that aren't directed at me. So if you really do write an angry letter and send it, would you mind posting it? I'm sure people would find it interesting. And then you can have a follow up with PETA's response. Just a thought.







**right on Golfhaus**
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Golfhaus on February 15, 2006, 04:20:46 pm
Oh, I plan to. Trust me.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 15, 2006, 07:41:36 pm
Don't forget to mention the monkey on the crucifix in the Closer video.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: StopAreClosed on February 16, 2006, 10:04:13 am
I'll never forget when I first heard "Closer" on the radio. I was in 6th Grade, driving in the car with my dad and that song was so much more sinster than everything else on at the time. Oh and the whole "I want to fuck you like an animal . . ." part, that was badass when swearing was still cool. As for that what does Peta think of that? Do they condone the fuck*ng of animals, or is that not up to code these days?
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: miles on February 16, 2006, 01:32:00 pm
As long as the animal gives consent, it's fine.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: idiomsavant on February 16, 2006, 01:51:17 pm
I always understood that to mean "I want to fuck you like an animal would fuck another animal," not "I want to fuck you like I, a human, would fuck an animal." But, hey, it's Art. You interpret it any way you want, and the good Lord will provide.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 16, 2006, 01:55:31 pm
Hrmmm... great now I have some weird faux Victorian/Medieval version of Closer running through my head.


Prithee doth I desire to rut thee like unto the beasts
I desire thine quim inners
I desire to rut thee like unto the beasts
Thou gets me further entwined within my lord's blessings
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: idiomsavant on February 16, 2006, 03:12:59 pm
all Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist playing the lute

all boars' heads on pikes surrounding the harpsichord
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 16, 2006, 03:26:26 pm
Prithee doth I desire to rut thee like unto the beasts
I desire thine quim inners
I desire to rut thee like unto the beasts
Thou gets me further entwined within my lord's blessings

mad props for that shit yo, that makes me lolz to the balls
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Hobot on February 16, 2006, 06:08:26 pm
I desire thine quim inners

Quim: The Best Scrabble Word Ever.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 16, 2006, 06:09:07 pm
Quim: The Best Scrabble Word Ever.

Also a tasty snack!


*Hangs head in shame*
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: side_show on February 17, 2006, 03:53:03 pm
My story about the song "Closer"

A friend of a friend of mine was having her bachelorette party at a strip club.  Now, I'd seen a few other male strippers, but always by accident, and usually at a gay bar, when I'm all in the back of the bar that just happens to have man strippers, and I turn around and accidentally glimpsed one while trying my hardest to not see one.  But this was different.  I was out with a group of horny ladies who wanted to see naked men shaking it.  I knew when I got into the van and all the other ladies cheered "Meeeeel!" that this was going to be interesting.

Two things you'll need to know before I proceed: 1) I was a goth kid at the time, and only had black clothes & 2) In Canadian currency we have one and two dollar coins - paper money starts at the $5 bill.

Cut to the bar.  There are lots of clearly stripper men, in tight jeans wandering around, but otherwise the place is basically empty, but for a few groups of cougars and my group of fine young things.  The show is going to start really soon.  Thankfully it starts to fill up, though it's a mystery where all the women appeared from so fast, and the MC guy gets up and introduces the stripper guy, and out he comes, and on comes "Closer"  and my bestfriend, who found the fact I was a goth girl at the time already quite laughable turns and grins sarcastically at me.  The stripper guy is wearing those rubber-y vinyl #####, a stupid vest... I don't remember what else.  But he is gyrating around and I'm just so embarrassed for him and for the screaming cougar women and mostly for me being there.  Then takes off his vest and dances around, then he gets to his #####, unzips and lays on his stomach on the floor for some reason, and he's kind of humping the floor rhythmically, then it starts to look like he's just sort of struggling, then it becomes clear that he is actually trying to get his ##### off but that they are too tight or rubbery to take off, and he's sort of splayed out on the floor just tugging on his ##### frantically.  Finally he yanks them off in a really inelegant and awkward sort of way, with one of the legs still half on and inside out around his ankle, he gets up and the ladies go wild because of his leather thong with front zipper... It goes on from there, and then he's naked and sort of doing these dick flips... the dick flips are just like the whole experience awkward and embarrassing... finally after an eternity the song ends and the women are throwing coins at him and he is basically crawling around on all fours picking up dollar coins while he's basically getting pelted with them.  It was basically the least sexy thing I'd ever seen.  and now whenever I hear "Closer" I think of a stripper sprawled on the floor and unable to get his rubber ##### off. 

Afterward he walked around the bar naked selling photos of himself, and he was just waving them back and forth in front of his dick like they were windshield wiper blades.  One of the girls I was with bought one, and he made her take it from in front of his crotch.  He actually refused to hand it to her.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 04:00:07 pm

Afterward he walked around the bar naked selling photos of himself, and he was just waving them back and forth in front of his dick like they were windshield wiper blades.  One of the girls I was with bought one, and he made her take it from in front of his crotch.  He actually refused to hand it to her.

I think I may serve Hors D'oeuvres at my next party this way.


"Oh you want that pepperjack cheese cube do you?  THEN TAKE IT OFF MY COCK!!"
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: side_show on February 17, 2006, 04:02:16 pm
Oh Mr.Q that makes me laugh so hard, because I imagine you being very surly about it.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 04:04:34 pm
Oh I would.  It would be less of a suggestion and more of an angry demand.

All hay on the floor.
A man has a whip.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: jough on February 17, 2006, 05:16:46 pm
Oh, Q, you haven't lived until you've dipped your cock in one of those trendy chocolate fountains.  The only problem is that once your girl gets used to the idea you will thereafter not get head any other way.

It happened, to, an um, friend of mine.  No, I'm not bitter.  I'm bittersweet.

Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 05:39:31 pm
Oh, Q, you haven't lived until you've dipped your cock in one of those trendy chocolate fountains.  The only problem is that once your girl gets used to the idea you will thereafter not get head any other way.

It happened, to, an um, friend of mine.  No, I'm not bitter.  I'm bittersweet.



I thought you meant like at a party.  Like you plunge it in the fountain all staring at the hostess surlylike.  "Yeah, how's that for fuck*ng cream FILLED?!"

Now that's a swirl pattern we can all be happy about.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: lprkn on February 17, 2006, 06:24:37 pm
Fondue will never be the same for me. Everytime I see one of those chocolate fountains, I will be thinking of a very naughty use for it.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 06:32:23 pm
Yeah well don't even get me started on Dunkin' Donuts.



...I mean REALLY now.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: theinevitable on February 17, 2006, 06:42:33 pm
lprkn!
fondue is so fuck*ng hot! don't do it!
it seems like a good idea, but the skin will come right off! jesus, please!
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: lprkn on February 17, 2006, 06:48:32 pm
lprkn!
fondue is so fuck*ng hot! don't do it!
it seems like a good idea, but the skin will come right off! jesus, please!

But the lure of the chocolate... so strong, must resist.

I'm grateful for my health and the health of certain parts that I do not have a chocolate fountain.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 06:57:53 pm
Actually the chocolate fountain is relatively cool.   

I do NOT recommend however dipping your dinkus into a fondue pot.  TI is right when he states it is indeed hot, especially if it's filled with molten cheese.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2006, 01:12:39 am
Speaking from experience, Q?
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 18, 2006, 01:14:52 am
All I'm saying is that there are more comfy ways of trying to give a lady a cheesy surprise.


This is all I am saying.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: lprkn on February 18, 2006, 01:26:11 am
Look honey, I got a cheese pizza. Surprise!
 - A cheesy surprise.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: sunnystar on February 18, 2006, 01:42:47 am
From Trent Reznor to sexy fondue...TOUAMB never fails to please and amuse me...

Also, I maybe slightly turned off or do I mean turned on? at the thought of a guys "dinkus" (loves that term) dipped in chocolate....mmmm....chocolate.

Q, you kill me...with laughter!
I thought you meant like at a party.  Like you plunge it in the fountain all staring at the hostess surlylike.  "Yeah, how's that for fuck*ng cream FILLED?!"

Now that's a swirl pattern we can all be happy about.
Laughed SO hard! Also, I pictured your adorable little 12 year old self (Yes, I know you're not 12, but unless I see a pic proving otherwise or of a larger size/quality, I will continue to say what I please. :)doing this and I almost started crying from the laughter! Surly indeed!

It's a good thing there is NO ONE here at work tonight. I'm just laughing and singing songs to myself.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: CortJstr on February 18, 2006, 08:33:24 am
Look honey, I got a cheese pizza. Surprise!
 - A cheesy surprise.

There wouldn't happen to be a hole cut in the bottom of that pizza box, would there?
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: misterqueue on February 18, 2006, 12:40:09 pm
There wouldn't happen to be a hole cut in the bottom of that pizza box, would there?


*Bowm Chicka BOW BOWM*
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: jough on February 18, 2006, 07:43:06 pm
[NSFW (http://bigsausagepizza.com)]
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 07:52:01 pm
[NSFW (http://bigsausagepizza.com)]

Comedy porn, it's a billion dollar idea.

~Paul
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: jough on February 18, 2006, 07:53:45 pm
Oh, dude, it's all comedy porn now.  Where have you been?
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 07:56:42 pm
Oh, dude, it's all comedy porn now.  Where have you been?

I have another idea for porn.

~Paul
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: jough on February 18, 2006, 08:00:18 pm
I have another idea for porn.

Yeah, I'll bet you do, Panama Red.

Just don't be looking at me when you say that, pendejo.  I'll fuck*ng cut you, chula.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 08:01:49 pm
[NSFW (http://bigsausagepizza.com)]

That would make a good t-shirt.

~Paul
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2006, 08:49:10 pm
NOT CLICKING.  Oh, please not clicking.  MUST. NOT. CLICK.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 08:59:28 pm
NOT CLICKING.  Oh, please not clicking.  MUST. NOT. CLICK.

It's totally harmless.  Heh heh...

Try this instead SFW (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12152004).

~Paul
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: side_show on February 18, 2006, 09:27:56 pm
Yeah, don't click on it wombat, jough's link I mean, Paul's is fine, just like the man himself, but jough's link is, well, I'm sort of embarrassed for the people involved.

That is the least sexy and most awkward looking use of a prop in porno that I've seen.  Just a disembodied cock sticking out of the middle of a greasy pizza.  Remember when you ordered a pizza and you opened it up and they got the toppings wrong?  And you're all pissed.  You're all, "WTF?  I ordered pepperoni and mushroom, not pepperoni and furious cock!  I get ding-dongs in my Chinese food, and now furious cock on my pizza!  Mother Fucker!"
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: miles on February 18, 2006, 09:29:53 pm
Wait, you're telling me that it's not every woman's fantasy to fuck the pizza delivery boy?
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2006, 09:45:53 pm
Nah, I'm sticking with the mailman.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 09:48:53 pm
Wait, you're telling me that it's not every woman's fantasy to fuck the pizza delivery boy?

It may be, but still she don't want his dong in the pizza.

~Paul
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: idiomsavant on February 19, 2006, 06:48:34 am
It may be, but still she don't want his dong in the pizza.

~Paul
Now you tell me.  Where were you three delivery jobs, two restraining orders and one trip to the ER ago? (Hint: Let the pizza cool off a little first.)
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Emmoh on February 19, 2006, 08:59:37 am
Excuse me...just have to interject from a couple pages back.

Anyway Danzig was the guy who would beat up guys that looked like what Reznor used to look like.

I dunno...looks like Danzig has a glass...forehead?
(http://www.sinister.com.au/_dloads/danzigkings/danzigKnockedOut.gif)
(granted, the other dude is as big as three new Trents, but damn, he barely touches him)

Steely Danzig (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=11797513). Love it.

I thought the new NIN was one of the most heartbreakingly disappointing records to come out last year...but I also thought PHM whupped the ****** off of everything thereafter, so maybe I just don't want him to grow up.

Also, I delivered pizza for a number of years and none of that shit ever happened to me...I tried that stunt with the box once, I'm not sure what was worse, the resulting prison sentence, or the cheese burn...
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: jough on February 19, 2006, 04:07:36 pm
Yeah, the new NIN was awful.  There's a thread somewhere in here about it, with a link to a great album review which is just a screenshot of Windows asking if you'd like to move the entire album to the recycle bin.

But you know what - I really liked PHM as a teenager and even some of the other albums (I still actually think that The Downward Spiral is his best album) but I don't really listen to much NIN anymore because it's kinda cheesy when listened through the ears of an adult.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2006, 06:16:13 pm
The Ghost that Feeds (http://www.nathanchase.com/2005/04/ghost-that-feedsray-parker-jrs.html) and Bloc of Nails (http://timg.gogogadget.net/nothingtoseehere/TimG%20-bloc%20of%20nails.mp3) weren't bad.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 28, 2006, 04:45:25 am
[NSFW (http://bigsausagepizza.com)]

Were the eyebrows absolutely necessary?
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: psilogen on March 24, 2006, 03:03:11 am
At least you didn't say MDFMK
what!

Guys, I don't know how to feel about this place if MDFMK fans aren't welcome.

(C'mon, man. "Missing Time". Badass.)
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 24, 2006, 03:32:28 am
What makes you think we care how you feel?
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: psilogen on March 24, 2006, 08:09:46 am
What makes you think we care how you feel?
A fundamental belief in the altruistic and open-hearted nature of internet forums?

(Purely hypothetical; I've been to (and participated in) far too many forums to harbor such delusions.)
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 24, 2006, 06:38:26 pm
FUCK YOU!

Also, NIN is playing outside of Portland in a month or so. I won't be bothering.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: side_show on March 24, 2006, 06:56:05 pm
Oh wow.  Total flash back to my days at the underground goth club I spent half my early drinking nights at with my pleather-panted anti-boyfriend.  KMFDM, me in a black velvet dress taking No-Dose to stay up all night, and all these guys on the floor marching, not dancing, to "Drug Against War."  I swear it looked like inmates in the exercise yard of the psychiatric prison of the the chronically angst-ridden, not a dance floor.  It was a sucky, silly time, but I had fun.  Back then I was all about "The Downward Spiral."  Now I wear nice bright colours and enjoy the sunlight. 

I think Reznor and Morrisey should just get it over with and make dirty-ass-fisting love and get it over with.  Come on boys, we get it, okay?  Move to Canada, you can get married and have a nice west-Coast house and two sweater-wearing mini dogs, and live happily ever after.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 24, 2006, 07:11:44 pm
I think Reznor and Morrisey should just get it over with and make dirty-ass-fisting love and get it over with.

I think I've read some of your stuff in Penthouse Variations.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: psilogen on March 27, 2006, 07:29:22 am
I think Sascha K should have disbanded KMFDM after the WWIII tour
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Crun on March 31, 2006, 07:56:53 pm
After a 10 year drought, NIN finally made it back to Ft. Wayne, and I had to see them, having missed them the first time (being too young, thanks mom).  While I didn't care for the new stuff, it was something I'd always wanted to see.  But yeah, Trent looks like a regular meathead now, the fuck's up with that?
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: LCB on April 01, 2006, 11:22:46 am
Ah, NIN the soundtrack of my youth. More like the unbearable background music to my youth.

All I'm saying is I hated them. Hated them bad. A lot of their fans were the whiny black trenchcoat and Lennon-esque glasses-wearing kids at school who decided that the reason they were shunned was because they were "out there" and "in your face" and "bold individualists" and they "liked to read" rather than "sitting on their asses watching TV like THE SHEEP". And it had nothing to do with them being complete "social retards" and "tools" and losers who mistook "behaving like total jerkoffs" for being "bold indicidualists". And I don't think Anne Rice and Piers Anthony count as literature, jerkoffs.

God money i'll do anything for you./
God money just tell me what you want me to


Anyone who wrote and or sung lyrics like that needs to be kicked in the face repeatedly.

And asides from NIN, oh remember all the awful NIN wannabes, clones and mimickers? There were a lot of terrible things going on in music at the time. But when aren't there?
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Hobot on April 01, 2006, 06:26:19 pm
Ah, NIN the soundtrack of my youth. More like the unbearable background music to my youth.

All I'm saying is I hated them. Hated them bad. A lot of their fans were the whiny black trenchcoat and Lennon-esque glasses-wearing kids at school who decided that the reason they were shunned was because they were "out there" and "in your face" and "bold individualists" and they "liked to read" rather than "sitting on their asses watching TV like THE SHEEP". And it had nothing to do with them being complete "social retards" and "tools" and losers who mistook "behaving like total jerkoffs" for being "bold indicidualists". And I don't think Anne Rice and Piers Anthony count as literature, jerkoffs.

God money i'll do anything for you./
God money just tell me what you want me to


Anyone who wrote and or sung lyrics like that needs to be kicked in the face repeatedly.

And asides from NIN, oh remember all the awful NIN wannabes, clones and mimickers? There were a lot of terrible things going on in music at the time. But when aren't there?

Listening to NIN was the only way these people knew how to get even with mom and dad after said parents refused to give them $10 to see "The Matrix" on a school night.  Life is hard, LCB; why won't you accept that?
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Lister on April 01, 2006, 07:40:31 pm
This thread inspired me to listen to Ben Folds' "Rockin' The Suburbs" again.  With lyrics like:

Got shit runnin' through my brain
So intense that I can't explain
All alone in my white-boy pain
Shake your booty while the band complains


I ask: how can you go wrong?  Hint: YOU DO NOT.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2006, 07:42:30 pm
This thread inspired me to listen to Ben Folds' "Rockin' The Suburbs" again.  With lyrics like:

Got shit runnin' through my brain
So intense that I can't explain
All alone in my white-boy pain
Shake your booty while the band complains


I ask: how can you go wrong?  Hint: YOU DO NOT.

Yeah Ben Folds has angst, yet his music doesn't sound like an unbalanced washing machine.

~Paul
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: LCB on April 02, 2006, 04:04:34 am
Yeah, the pre-fab pop-industrial NIN alikes, snapped up by labels as soon as they saw the numbers for Pretty Hate Machine like Gravity Kills. Remember them or God Lives Underwater and so help me, Stabbing Westward? Little known fact: approximately 30% of "Hit Songs from the Motion Picture" soundtracks from the mid-90's featured a Stabbing Westward song, and usually Stabbing Westward's name was prominently displayed on the cover.

Oh, and there Filter of course.

And when I was young, we didn't have the Matrix yet, and I have forgotten which entertainments these sorts of people glommed onto before there was The Matrix. Maybe The Crow. These kids, I remember, probably would have and later on probably did heavily imbibe on The Matrix. Lots of people misguidedly believed wearing black trenchcoats and fingerless gloves equaled instant cool before the Matrix, and a lot of them were bopping along to Head like a hole/Black as your soul/I’d rather die than give you control/Bow down before the one you serve.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: theinevitable on April 02, 2006, 06:18:13 am
mann.
this reminds me of the Throbbing Gristle review on the best record review site.

"I was all hot to trot about Throbbing Gristle in early college, thinking that their "industrial" music, designed to recreate the deadening aura of post-industrial Britain, was some wildass shit, just like those RESearch books, Mark Pauline and comics about serial killers! I suppose that's the sort of thing a young person will find thrilling - an alternate view of life focusing on the dark side. Certainly this would have appealed to me much more in my youth than now because at that point, death and madness weren't real concepts. Now they are. This has shit to do with TG though, so let me get back to the point. The point is that their "music" wasn't music so much as dark, dank noise created with creepy echoey keyboards and shitted up guitars. At times, it did its due diligence. At other times, it all sounded exactly the same. Which was probably on purpose - what better way to manifest a sense of the soul-crushing and banal in the listener than by subjecting them to boring noises over and over again? On a related note, why listen to it?"

the website is http://www.markprindle.com/ (http://www.markprindle.com/).
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: Crun on April 02, 2006, 03:03:24 pm
Christ in a dumptruck, The Matrix?  NIN was around in the 80's, fer crissakes.  The guys you're talking about are just the logical progression of fans of The Cure.  And, as has been detailed in Achewood, it is silly to like The Cure.  Filter being a copycat of NIN?  They were former members, so I don't think that really makes them copycats.  Eesh.  Yes, many Nails fans are complete douchebags... but that isn't NIN's fault.  C'mon, separate your criticisms.  NIN only us beautiful metal/techno, something that nobody has done a better job at than NIN.  That's saying something.

And yes, God Lives Underwater can join said deity in same location.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: miles on April 02, 2006, 03:05:58 pm
The Cure made a lot of good music.
Title: Re: Trent Reznor: WTF?!?
Post by: wombat on April 02, 2006, 05:02:19 pm
Say, you're kind of liberal, right? (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03102004)  You should try communism sometime!