The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: idiomsavant on February 14, 2006, 05:38:30 am

Title: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: idiomsavant on February 14, 2006, 05:38:30 am
February 14, 2006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02142006)

Beef has a Plan.  Notice that while all the carnage is happening in the foreground, the Stubbs crew is stealing off to the Northeast Corner. And the carnage is pretty gloriously rendered, what with the lead pipe and the sound effects and that one dude with his britches down.

But is Onstad trying to tell me that three dollars isn't a good price for wine?  Have I been paying too much?
Title: February 14, 2006 - These men think three dollars is a good price for wine.
Post by: Jeepers on February 14, 2006, 05:38:52 am
http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=02142006 (http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=02142006)

The strategy begins, but I am distracted by the cat trying to best his foe by mooning him in the lower part of panel 8.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 - These men think three dollars is a good price for wine.
Post by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2006, 05:43:52 am
Man, I knew the GOF was brutal, but I thought RLS was a particularly savage case.  It appears that as a genral rule the GOF is a bloodfest.  What carnage.

Beef calls the shots.

~Paul
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: jough on February 14, 2006, 07:21:27 am
I just unlocked this - I didn't see that it was locked for any particular reason.  If a mod locked this, please PM me and let me know what's up.

Thanks.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2006, 07:29:51 am
Oops sorry.  There were two threads and I locked one.  Then I merged the two together.  I guess it remains locked when you do that.

~Paul
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- GENTLEMEN... FIGHT!
Post by: hoborg on February 14, 2006, 07:51:12 am
So the plan is: Wait in the opposite corner 'till they all kill each other? Booooring! I can't see it being long before Ray gets too impatient.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Suckin_Dick on February 14, 2006, 07:57:26 am
Can i get that last panel tattooed on my chest?  seriously, i will pay money for that.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: mrchee on February 14, 2006, 08:13:41 am
The mexican gardener with the pipe is priceless.

Also, The rest of them think that three dollars is too much.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Emmoh on February 14, 2006, 09:38:15 am
I can't decide if that's Perfect Ron somebody is getting to before Ray in the middle of that eighth panel...thoughts?
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Roger on February 14, 2006, 10:59:34 am
I can't decide if that's Perfect Ron somebody is getting to before Ray in the middle of that eighth panel...thoughts?

Does look like him. But then, it seems that most of the GOF players share a similar physique... sideburns, mustaches, the works.
I can't see how the "these are the dudes you're gonna take down on day one" sort of schedule fits with this bloody chaos.

And I also recognized the skull on the gate from this. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06242003)
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Doc on February 14, 2006, 12:35:26 pm
This really does seem life a Beef style plan, but not a plan fit for the son of Stubbs. Beef really is trying to hack their way through this, but it seems like it can't last.
Also I am waiting to see the little food vendors inside the acres, since they have to have something for the feasting on the second day.
Besides the guys who's asses have been kicked.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Golfhaus on February 14, 2006, 12:50:05 pm
What the hell is that little black thing in front of the mooning cat?

So far so good, Onstad. I also will consider buying a GOF shirt.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: robot_god on February 14, 2006, 01:29:04 pm
Not only is that dude mooning someone, he also appears to be doing the chicken dance.

This is to be expected.  In the GOF, there are hell of styles used.  It appears that there are also hell of weapons used.

So you can just carry in pipes and baseball bats?  Perhaps they are strewn about the acres.  I couldn't imagine you are allowed to carry in any weapon you want.  Someone should bring the electric sword.  Slash some ankles.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: V-Adore on February 14, 2006, 01:39:05 pm
I seriously can't get over the mooning cat. Through most of the panel we have well-rendered carnage, teeth being lost, groins being kicked into "gonna need Neuticles" territory... and here's this tiny little side image of a guy just mooning his opponent. And, yes, doing the Chicken Dance. Either he's the dumbest of our fighters, or he's really got huge brass balls he's already started to show off.

I really doubt Beef's strategy is as simple as "hie off to one corner and wait." He obviously has more of a plan than that; I'm sort of waiting to see it materialize now.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Doc on February 14, 2006, 01:53:08 pm
The best thing about the mooning cat is the little face looking at it, that guy is just struck dumb by the power of the ass
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: misterqueue on February 14, 2006, 02:12:44 pm
I know 15 people have already said it, but the power of that cat's ass is stultifying!


Also, I like how Beef knew the EXACT corner that would be safe from the scuffle.  (I guess you can't call this a scuffle... it's like a SCGOREFFLE!!  AVEC MOONING!   But I'm calling it a scuffle so fuck off.  I love you.)
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2006, 02:23:01 pm
Seeing as there's boot swinging right up at the mooning cat I don't know how long he's going to last.

I assumed that Beef wasn't trying to hide in the corner or anything but just get away from the door. It appears that the fight began as soon as it closes so a lot of people are just going to get trampled in the crush regardless of how good of a fighter they may be.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Hobot on February 14, 2006, 02:27:01 pm
There is some serious 'Sack-Ruining goin' down.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 14, 2006, 02:30:30 pm
Yeah I see hiding in the corner as a temporary solution to avoid the initial chaos.

Looking at the pictures of people getting kicked squarely in the groin and having their heads caved in by pipes, I actually had a moment of feeling genuinely worried for our favorite cats Ray and Beef. Then I felt embarrassed and pretended to check my e-mail.

No better strip for Valentine's Day that is for certain.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: littlefox on February 14, 2006, 02:31:44 pm
I love how the carnage panel doesn't make ANY sense if you try to connect the appendages. It's like a carnage doodle, really.
And yes, that would be an awesome tattoo.

I don't think Beef's trying to "hack his way through;" I think he knows what the good fighters have done in the past and, therefore, what works. Tiring yourself out in the initial fray isn't the answer. Don't waste your time with small fries; they'll get booted soon enough. They could be planning a rush.
I'm mainly worried about Ray's, you know, lack of ability. How's Beef going to cover THAT up?

I'm hoping that in the heat of the moment, Ray surprises us all. Even if he doesn't win, I want him to have a fighting chance.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: colmore on February 14, 2006, 02:36:06 pm
The running is definitely a temporary tactic to avoid the initial crush.  I bet about 1/3 of the ranks get thinned out in the first hour or so, right in front of the door.

Still waiting for other characters to make surprise appearances.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Emergent_C on February 14, 2006, 02:52:47 pm
One can't help but be awed by the intensity of a fight in which a man can leap into the air to deliver a double-handed blow to the head of some dude, whilst simultaneously being kicked in the groin by some other dude who leapt even higher. Dang.

You know, when I saw the mooning cat with the boot headed toward him, I figured his dropped drawers were the result of some kind of street-fighting move, like where you pull a guy's jacket off his shoulders so he can't move his arms. Or something.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: sjlimmer on February 14, 2006, 02:56:40 pm
The brawl collage is indeed a thing of beauty.  Also, I hate to be the one to say this, but so be it.


I thought the mooning cat was preparing to take a dump on his awed opponent.

Now that's fighting dirty!

Yes, yes, I know I need help.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: thedudeabides85 on February 14, 2006, 03:13:14 pm
The 2006 GOF, brought to you by Tide with Bleach-- "Get even the most adamant stains out of your blood-soaked wifebeater"
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 14, 2006, 03:30:39 pm
The cat in the middle of the carnage getting his teeth beat the fuck out, does he remind anyone else of Carl Veldt? I know it's impossible because Carl lost his brain to a bottle but it is a striking resemblance. The large black nose, the mustache, the parted hair, the wife beater, it's all there. I'll let you decide. Here is the strip in question. http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02032006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02032006)


I still don't remember how to do word links. On the old bored there were instruction, but I'm lost in this new world.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: jough on February 14, 2006, 03:35:38 pm
There's a little button to make links.  It will prompt you for the link and text.

Also, they're obviously setting up camp, letting the others know where they stand.

And Ray will surprise all of you naysayers.  He is, after all, BOC.  He has the ability in himself, he has just never looked for it.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 14, 2006, 03:46:43 pm
I love how the carnage panel doesn't make ANY sense if you try to connect the appendages. It's like a carnage doodle, really.
And yes, that would be an awesome tattoo.

I don't think Beef's trying to "hack his way through;" I think he knows what the good fighters have done in the past and, therefore, what works. Tiring yourself out in the initial fray isn't the answer. Don't waste your time with small fries; they'll get booted soon enough. They could be planning a rush.
I'm mainly worried about Ray's, you know, lack of ability. How's Beef going to cover THAT up?

I'm hoping that in the heat of the moment, Ray surprises us all. Even if he doesn't win, I want him to have a fighting chance.
bo
Ray has ability. The dude has icky moves. The dude has no mercy. The dude can take apart a Civic with his bare paws and do a backflip to boot. Ray boned Pat's sister's husband... SIX TIMES. The dude is hell of powerful when need be.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2006, 03:56:00 pm
Why are people worried? What's the worst thing that can happen to Beef and Ray? They die again. Big whoop. It might even be good for Beef. If he dies 3 more times he gets a free room upgrade in heaven.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Emergent_C on February 14, 2006, 04:17:57 pm
Ray boned Pat's sister's husband... SIX TIMES.

Dude...Ray ain't gay.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: misterqueue on February 14, 2006, 04:21:48 pm
Dude...Ray ain't gay.

Ahem (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02262002)

The question is was it a joke or not.  I suspect so, but hell, Ray can do crazy things when all split on green.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 14, 2006, 04:31:39 pm
The cat in the middle of the carnage getting his teeth beat the fuck out, does he remind anyone else of Carl Veldt? I know it's impossible because Carl lost his brain to a bottle but it is a striking resemblance.

I agree with you, and actually that is my one complaint about this strip. Seeing as that is the primary image in the collage, I wish it had been a little more original. It seems like he basically just rehashed the bottle image, only in a less interesting way.

Why are people worried? What's the worst thing that can happen to Beef and Ray? They die again. Big whoop. It might even be good for Beef. If he dies 3 more times he gets a free room upgrade in heaven.

Man, come on. It is one thing to see Beef get shot, all with hands clutched comically over his chest and little x's for eyes. It would be another thing entirely to see Beef get bashed in the face, his skull all collapsing and his teeth all shooting out, blood everywhere. Beef getting stomped mercilessly on the ground, tons of pain. What world is this, where such a thought does not worry you. We may need to tear out your entire middle to see if you have a heart. Unfortunately, no one said that could be done.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2006, 05:16:35 pm
Man, come on. It is one thing to see Beef get shot, all with hands clutched comically over his chest and little x's for eyes. It would be another thing entirely to see Beef get bashed in the face, his skull all collapsing and his teeth all shooting out, blood everywhere. Beef getting stomped mercilessly on the ground, tons of pain. What world is this, where such a thought does not worry you. We may need to tear out your entire middle to see if you have a heart. Unfortunately, no one said that could be done.

There is such a thing as off camera. We didn't see the bloody wreackage after he crashed the golf cart. And when he went to hell there was just the phone call ahead of time.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: mrchee on February 14, 2006, 05:16:41 pm
I too think that Beef has something more than "wait it out" up his sleeve.

Perhaps they will douse the field with gas or oil and light it, so that the flames will form a funnel leading to their position, and that way their small group will not get overwhelmed by sheer numbers and can concentrate on a few attackers at a time. 

A bit outlandish, yes, but something tells not prohibited by GOF regulations.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2006, 05:17:34 pm
I too think that Beef has something more than "wait it out" up his sleeve.

Perhaps they will douse the field with gas or oil and light it, so that the flames will form a funnel leading to their position, and that way their small group will not get overwhelmed by sheer numbers and can concentrate on a few attackers at a time. 

A bit outlandish, yes, but something tells not prohibited by GOF regulations.

mrchee studied the rule book. The more you know...
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Hobot on February 14, 2006, 05:27:43 pm
I still say board with a nail through it.  Who's with me?
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 14, 2006, 06:13:34 pm
There is such a thing as off camera. We didn't see the bloody wreackage after he crashed the golf cart. And when he went to hell there was just the phone call ahead of time.

But see, if it were off camera, that would be just as disturbing. Totally anticlimactic. Anyway, just admit that you are extremely scared for Roast Beef, Cort.

Listen, everyone: Cort cried but did not Accept that he cried.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2006, 06:22:00 pm
It would be another thing entirely to see Beef get bashed in the face, his skull all collapsing and his teeth all shooting out, blood everywhere. Beef getting stomped mercilessly on the ground, tons of pain

I hate you, Mr Markizzle!  I hate you!
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: V-Adore on February 14, 2006, 09:02:22 pm
I too think that Beef has something more than "wait it out" up his sleeve.

Perhaps they will douse the field with gas or oil and light it, so that the flames will form a funnel leading to their position, and that way their small group will not get overwhelmed by sheer numbers and can concentrate on a few attackers at a time. 

A bit outlandish, yes, but something tells not prohibited by GOF regulations.

I get the feeling that nothing is actually prohibited by regulations, besides (presumably) wussing out. I really doubt they'd complain if Beef showed up with a Sherman tank and Agent Orange, all ready to party Asian-land-war stylezz.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 14, 2006, 09:09:51 pm
There's a certain point where weaponry too drastically changes the fight. If it was my thing, I would say only bladed, pointed or blunt weapons and with those, no more than 36" including the handle.

No missile weapons
No firearms
No weapons that involve irritants, poison or electricity

Basically this should be melee with possibly the occasionally thrown or hurled axe, sword, or knife.

For my weapon I think I would want a batleth.

Who wants to roll up about 3000 5th level fighters and stage this with dice and pizza?
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: LCB on February 14, 2006, 09:37:59 pm
I see this as Beef being wise enough to evade the opening carnage, where people just rush right in and start bashing away on each other, best to duck away for a bit then come back swinging.

Plus, what shall we refer to the leather helmet wearing cat as, if he pops up again? The LHWC?
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Danimaux on February 14, 2006, 09:46:04 pm
Still waiting for other characters to make surprise appearances.

Such as . . . Pat?
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Ben-San on February 14, 2006, 11:36:50 pm
Who wants to roll up about 3000 5th level fighters and stage this with dice and pizza?

What this makes me wonder is whether it's even possible to make 3000 significantly different 5th level fighters.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Doc on February 14, 2006, 11:56:41 pm
I think all weapons are allowed but no one bothers anymore because they just get torn apart by the serious fighters.
'Forget what you think you know Rodney Leonard Stubbs is destroying this tank!'
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: dejavroom on February 15, 2006, 01:29:40 am
Doc has a point here. Ol' Stubbs would cold eat a tank and shit hot rivets, it seems.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: V-Adore on February 15, 2006, 01:45:47 am
Who wants to roll up about 3000 5th level fighters and stage this with dice and pizza?

Actually, there's a college near here who does something like this as a big event, every fall semester: "DeathFest," where they generate a stupidly large number of D&D characters, put them in a big pile, and have people take random characters and slugfest it out, with each player pulling a new character from the pile when their old one gets killed. Last man standing wins. No word on whether there's a barbed-wire-and-skulls enclosure for it, though.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Golfhaus on February 15, 2006, 04:03:04 pm
Those of you who have played either Age of Empires or Command and Conquer: Red Alert... admit it - you've staged Great Outdoor Fights before.

I have seen many computers go down under the weight of eight AOE2 combatants with a 200 population limit building 20 villagers and 180 met-at-arms and sending them all into battle at once.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Hobot on February 15, 2006, 05:33:52 pm
Actually, there's a college near here who does something like this as a big event, every fall semester: "DeathFest," where they generate a stupidly large number of D&D characters, put them in a big pile, and have people take random characters and slugfest it out, with each player pulling a new character from the pile when their old one gets killed. Last man standing wins. No word on whether there's a barbed-wire-and-skulls enclosure for it, though.

What college might that be?

My first thought is MIT.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2006, 05:35:40 pm
Those of you who have played either Age of Empires or Command and Conquer: Red Alert... admit it - you've staged Great Outdoor Fights before.

I have seen many computers go down under the weight of eight AOE2 combatants with a 200 population limit building 20 villagers and 180 met-at-arms and sending them all into battle at once.

Tank rush, bitches!

Actually the best way to simulate this would probably be with a mix of 2,990 GI's, Conscripts, and Psi Infantry and 10 Tanyas. The problem would be getting them to in-fight because I think you're only allowed 8 teams at once.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: misterqueue on February 15, 2006, 05:42:01 pm
Hrm, 1,000 zerglings + 1,000 Marines + 1,000 zealots = Crazy Delicious!
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: V-Adore on February 15, 2006, 09:40:17 pm
What college might that be?

My first thought is MIT.

Hampshire, actually. I was told about this event while sitting on a beaten-down couch in a huge, incongruously hippie/industrial common room, talking with friends-of-friends who were brainstorming for their a capella group. At least three of them appeared to be stoned. I've been lead to understand that I had the quintessential Hampshire Experience.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: dejavroom on February 16, 2006, 12:49:06 am
Hrm, 1,000 zerglings + 1,000 Marines + 1,000 zealots = Crazy Delicious!

If I had tiny cans, they'd be yours right now However my jizzfest scenario would involve siege tanks and dragoons.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: doomglobe on February 16, 2006, 03:15:24 am
There's a certain point where weaponry too drastically changes the fight. If it was my thing, I would say only bladed, pointed or blunt weapons and with those, no more than 36" including the handle.


It seems a lot like no one brought weapons, except that one cat with the metal pipe. I think that since the fight is essentially for honor, the only weapons you can bring are ones you would not be ashamed to win the fight with. I imagine that there are some dangerous types involved in the fight and it does not seem that there are any genuine rules. I wonder if they eventually build a thunderdome somewhere on the battleground and begin strapping random objects to themselves as is the traditional behavior of post apocalyptic warriors.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: AugustWest on February 16, 2006, 03:35:31 am
Nice to see you, Doomglobe.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 - These men think three dollars is a good price for wine.
Post by: sOOp on February 16, 2006, 05:19:35 am


The strategy begins, but I am distracted by the cat trying to best his foe by mooning him in the lower part of panel 8.


It appears to be one of those new age fighting styles. He wont last long.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: wombat on February 16, 2006, 12:54:08 pm
Nice to see you, Doomglobe.


Seconded!
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Hobot on February 16, 2006, 05:29:02 pm
Hampshire, actually. I was told about this event while sitting on a beaten-down couch in a huge, incongruously hippie/industrial common room, talking with friends-of-friends who were brainstorming for their a capella group. At least three of them appeared to be stoned. I've been lead to understand that I had the quintessential Hampshire Experience.

Hampshire, eh?  I feel as if I should have known that they host such an event, considering I am part of a Consortium with them. 

And yes, that was, in fact, a representative Hampshire visit.  The only thing needed to complete it is an unwashed, dreadlocked, substance-laden orgy.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 16, 2006, 06:06:29 pm
It seems a lot like no one brought weapons, except that one cat with the metal pipe. I think that since the fight is essentially for honor, the only weapons you can bring are ones you would not be ashamed to win the fight with. I imagine that there are some dangerous types involved in the fight and it does not seem that there are any genuine rules. I wonder if they eventually build a thunderdome somewhere on the battleground and begin strapping random objects to themselves as is the traditional behavior of post apocalyptic warriors.

I don't think you can bring in weapons.  Rather, there is a certain amount of junk lying around the Meadows, and if you can utilize any of it to your advantage, more power to ya.
Title: Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
Post by: doomglobe on February 17, 2006, 09:34:29 pm
I am pretty sure there are no rules except for 3000 men enter, one man leaves. Bust a deal, face the wheel.
But no way to tell, Onstad hasn't gotten into the rules. All we have to go on is that one picture of the dude with the pipe, and that isn't much. Maybe we should start a thread where we try to figure out the rules of the fight.


Nice to see you, Doomglobe.


Seconded!

Well nice to see you two again also!