The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: filas on February 14, 2006, 07:17:12 am

Title: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: filas on February 14, 2006, 07:17:12 am
DANISH CARTOON OFFENDS CARTOONIST

Onstad announced a boycott of danish products today, after a danish cartoonist depicted the logo of his own strip.  presumably a connoisseur, it has been reported Onstad has sworn off Smørbrød, Bløtkake, and Helstekt lammelår.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: jough on February 14, 2006, 07:25:16 am
For when the link goes off the main Achewood.com page:

http://www.start.no/tegneserier/m/?1139785200
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: talgkjertel on February 14, 2006, 11:09:32 am
For the record: M is a norwegian comic.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2006, 12:22:51 pm
Can anyone translate?  Yes, I'm looking at you, Mr. Talgkjertel.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: littlefox on February 14, 2006, 02:28:06 pm
Can anyone translate?  Yes, I'm looking at you, Mr. Talgkjertel.

Oui, oui! Second request for translating!
Methinks the comic probably has little to do with Achewood, but that's awesome. The author must understand English and enjoy alive stuffed animals.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: talgkjertel on February 14, 2006, 02:34:18 pm
M is full of references to movies, music, comics and Star Wars.
This particular strip has nothing to do with Achewood.

Edit: I'm gone for an hour, but I can translate it when I get back.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 14, 2006, 05:40:32 pm
Okay, so, I don't speak no Norwegian (and honestly, NOBODY does), but I made a half-hearted effort to translate the comic. Keep in mind this is an intentionally silly translation from someone who does not speak the language and did not try very hard to figure out the parts that did not translate easily (ie, I only used one dictionary). But perhaps someone can take this and figure it out further.

With that said, it seems to be a comic about a dude (the achewood shirt dude) who is complaining about how demanding his girlfriend and/or aunt is. So it is a strip about Valentine's Day, I guess.

So, first panel: "Is she going to visit again?! Argh!"

Second panel: "She will simply come to demand herbal tea and ice cream and chocolate!"

Third panel: Guy: "I hate Aunt Red." (Biz'ness note: perhaps aunt red is like a CODE for Valentine's Day, or I translated "tante" wrong. Otherwise, hello incest, it is nice to meet you on this fine holiday.)
                 Girl: "…and teddy bears and a romantic comedy with Hugh Grant!"

Fourth panel (this was the toughest): "...and she simply sneaks herself outside and lays down again on a flap: 'see you again in a few weeks'."
                                                   "ON THE DOUBLE!"

You heard me, TOUAMB, in this torrid story of incest, Aunt Red lays down on a flap.

Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: misterqueue on February 14, 2006, 05:44:37 pm


Third panel: Guy: "I hate Aunt Red." (Biz'ness note: perhaps aunt red is like a CODE for Valentine's Day, or I translated "tante" wrong. Otherwise, hello incest, it is nice to meet you on this fine holiday.)
                 Girl: "…and teddy bears and a romantic comedy with Hugh Grant!"


You heard me, TOUAMB, in this torrid story of incest, Aunt Red lays down on a flap.



Or perhaps Aunt Red is related to Aunt Flow.


That brings a whole other set of possibilities.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 14, 2006, 05:45:18 pm
Please keep in mind that no matter what talgkjertel tries to tell you when he translates this: there are no movies, music, or star wars in this comic. That is a dirty lie meant to cover up the incest.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: talgkjertel on February 14, 2006, 05:49:30 pm
Aunt Red is a term for when a lady has her menustration.
Other than that, you did a fine job of translating.

Oh, and legger igjen en lapp = leaves a (post-it) note.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: misterqueue on February 14, 2006, 05:52:21 pm
Aunt Red is a term for when a lady has her menustration.

Score one for me! 
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 14, 2006, 06:06:03 pm
Aunt Red is a term for when a lady has her menustration.
Other than that, you did a fine job of translating.

Oh, and legger igjen en lapp = leaves a (post-it) note.

Ah, yes, that makes much more sense than laying down on a flap. And I am glad to hear (I suppose) that it is about menstruation and not incest. Thanks for the clarifications.

And indeed nice pick-up M.quizzle. I was too focused on Valentine's Day day to see the truth but you were like "no definitely blood beagle."

Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: jough on February 15, 2006, 06:48:18 am
If you like that shirt, you'll love these shirts (http://wordfront.com/wares/).
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: lprkn on February 17, 2006, 12:26:23 am
If you like that shirt, you'll love these shirts (http://wordfront.com/wares/).

Shameless pimpage! But since it's you, Jough, I'll let it slide. This time.

Please don't kill me.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: jough on February 17, 2006, 06:19:11 am
Yeah, I'm pimpin' the shirts, nationwide, pretty hard.  But the shirts are new and I'm having more fun with this project than I've had in years doing other things, so I'll ride the high a little longer.  Tomorrow I send out 100 free shirts to editors at various hipster magazines and alt presses to get some play.  The radio show about our Sen. Rick Santorum stunt got us a bunch of sales, so things are looking good.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 17, 2006, 02:49:48 pm
This isn't the right place to post this but it IS a thread about shirts so it almost makes it correct. Achewood says "FRIDAY: Great Outdoor Fight commemorative shirts debut!" and it is Friday and the strip is all up and shit, so where is my shirt? I'm getting all antsy for this thing. I want to SEEEEE it.
Title: Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
Post by: Golfhaus on February 17, 2006, 08:22:48 pm
Yeah, I'm pimpin' the shirts, nationwide, pretty hard.  But the shirts are new and I'm having more fun with this project than I've had in years doing other things, so I'll ride the high a little longer.  Tomorrow I send out 100 free shirts to editors at various hipster magazines and alt presses to get some play.  The radio show about our Sen. Rick Santorum stunt got us a bunch of sales, so things are looking good.

I'm an editor at a hipster magazine. I'm the... um... cultural editor of the... er, Eastern.... um, What's Hip On The East Magazine. Yeah, we tell people too stupid to know for themselves what's cool. Send me one, we'll uh, do a thing in the next edition... or issue. Whatever they're called.