The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: CortJstr on September 06, 2003, 12:11:38 am
-
So what kind of pop-up blockers are the kids using these days? Without switching to mozilla, if possible
-
I tried AdsGone and it did very strange things to my browser plus now the guy doesn't seem interested in answering e-mail looking for some help. The Google Toolbar now has pop-up blocking built into it. That seems to be working ok.
I was considering trying Mozilla for that very reason.
-
I had always used AdAware with mixed results. I moved to the Google toolbar and it has worked great for me.
-
My only complaint with the G toolbar is that it has to be visible to work. I like to run my browser in full scren (F11) and the Google takes up space I'd like to have. I tried hiding the toolbar but that also shuts off all the features. I guess I'm too picky.
-
Pop-up blocker? Feh. Ad server blocker. That's more like it.
I've got my hosts file (http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/spam/adblock.shtml) all set up with ad servers from around the world, all pointing to my own machine. Since most popups are generated by external javascripts on adservers, I don't often see popups or popunders.
The few that do show up won't load the pages that are called, so they don't spawn other windows at all, which leaves them pretty easily closable -- especially due to my lightning-fast ALT+TAB CTRL+W reactions.
Now. If there's a site I'd like to support via toleration of adbanners, and I know they make money from the ads, I'll let those adservers (if not too wide-spread across the web) through by deleting them from my hosts file.
If an ad gets through from a site I don't wish to see ads on, I track down the server that's called and add it to my hosts file. Voila.
PM if you're interested in getting this set up and need more help than that link provides, or more servers to add to your file.
-
acctually, the best way to get rid of popups (especially those permanently implanted in the computer, commonly a result of downloading music) is to get a SPYWARE blocker/protection system, seeing as it spyware that spawns most of these popups
-
BALEETED!
If you aren't careful about what you install on your system, the side effects are your own damned fault. Yes, read the Terms and Conditions. Yes, read the Privacy Agreement. If you don't agree with what they say, don't install that software! Simple as that!
The best protection is education plus consideration.
-
I think I'd die without the combination of AdAware, Karen's Cookie Viewer, and IE's cookie blocking.
Although now I can't read some of the stories on the Washington Post, but nuts to them.
-
I like the google toolbar, but then I had it installed *before* they included the pop-up blocker.
Sure, it's probably spyware, but at least it's useful.
-
I like the google toolbar, but then I had it installed *before* they included the pop-up blocker.
Sure, it's probably spyware, but at least it's useful.
AFAIK the google toolbar wouldn't have any spyware involved. Spyware tends to come with slightly dodgy programs, and is a huge hassle. But then the spyware mention wasn't what was being discussed and was not really a good piece of advice regarding normal browing pop-up blocking.
It was referring to pop-ups happening from windows, without any browing taking place, and something like adaware that removes spyware is the way to deal with them.
WebWasher (http://www.webwasher.com) is a fairly good pop-up blocker for browing purposes, and was what I used before my switch to mozilla.
-
I like the google toolbar, but then I had it installed *before* they included the pop-up blocker.
Sure, it's probably spyware, but at least it's useful.
It gives you the choice. If you want to see page rankings it collects "anonymous aggregate information" not unlike a TiVo or Nielson box. If you turn off page rankings no information is shared.
-
But what, pray tell, is wrong with Mozilla?
-
But what, pray tell, is wrong with Mozilla?
Permissions at work. I can install little stuff but not big. Chances are I could get a pop-up blocker in (others have in the past) but installing a whole browser would certainly fail.
[edit: great title andalucia]
-
I use Mozilla Firebird - for Windows it's just a download. No installing. You just unzip it and run it.
I cannot recommend a piece of software more highly. It runs much faster than the standard Mozilla Suite because of its XUL front-end, too.
And it has all sorts of web-master-geek extensions to play with.
And of course the excellent Gecko rendering engine.
And unlike the standard Mozilla, Firebird blocks pop-ups by *default*.
Not that Moz isn't a great browser. It's just that their stand-alone browser project, Firebird, is better for now.
Eventually the Firebird browser will replace the current Netscape-like front end to be simply called "The Mozilla Browser."
Me. Geek.
-
Jough, I'm using Firebird too.
Geek high fives?
-
Geek high fives?
Are those the kind that miss?
-
Those are the kind that are a little sticky.
But rock on, 'lucia. Firebird is the shiznat.
-
So which high five is the one where you go past each other's hands and grab their ankle, then shake that?
-
So which high five is the one where you go past each other's hands and grab their ankle, then shake that?
Freemasons?
I'm still using plain Moz. I looked at Firebird but it seemed to lack a few things I wanted out of a broswer... Plus with my system I was't too worried about the speed aspects. I may get Firebird now, after good Geeky reviews to see if it's any better.
Though then I'll need to get Thunderbird as well.
-
Eww... well, I guess you'll need T-Bird if you use the crappy freebie e-mail client, yeah.
Anyway, Firebird has every feature that Mozilla has and then some, with the extensions. You need to install the extensions for the features you want.
AND - if you don't like the layout of the UI, you can specify your own with XUL, an XML based User-Interface Language.
-
Eww... well, I guess you'll need T-Bird if you use the crappy freebie e-mail client, yeah.
Anyway, Firebird has every feature that Mozilla has and then some, with the extensions. You need to install the extensions for the features you want.
Well, even their freebie mail client has better mail filtering than most others. I used to use Eudora, but it was abysmal for that, and I detest Outlook.
Spiffy about Firebird though. Will get that later on and make the switch, but I'm kind of finished doing geek things today, since I had to replace my CPU fan with a better one, then put in my swanky new FX 5600 and then sort out sound card issues. All took longer than intended, as usual!
-
I prefer a built-in ad blocker too, incorporated with the browser. I’m using Avant now but I think it’s a shell for IE, not a stand-alone. I’m going to try some mentioned here.