The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Immortal on February 17, 2006, 07:27:22 am

Title: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Immortal on February 17, 2006, 07:27:22 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02172006

interesting. can't wait til monday to see ray kick S&M's ass...

but since it's a 3-day american holiday, i guess we'll have to wait until tuesday.

and since tuesday is tuesday, i guess we'll have to wait til wednesday.

but since the chicken comes wednesday, the new strip will appear thursday.

oh well, i guess we'll see.

i think i'll get a stomach tattoo that reads "GOF4LIFE," all thugged out and tupacesque
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: melack on February 17, 2006, 07:37:06 am
Ted Cobb shouldn't be so (crude and) feckless.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Tangle on February 17, 2006, 07:40:24 am
So you can get into GOF just by having a bleedin' hilarious blog? That's just wrong, that is.

I'm not too impressed with Ted and Barry yet, but maybe Beef is right and they will unleash the frikkin' fury when the time comes. What am I saying, of course Beef is right.

Anyone else try googling for "Gasps and Giggles"? I know I did.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: nuero on February 17, 2006, 07:54:15 am
So are they talking about themselves in the fifth panel or did Onstad fuck up? I'm kind of confused.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Tangle on February 17, 2006, 08:03:08 am
Yep, looks like there was a little screw-up with the speech bubbles.

Looks like Ray is now taking a bigger role in commanding the troops directly (as opposed to letting Beef do the talking)!
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Immortal on February 17, 2006, 08:36:09 am
So are they talking about themselves in the fifth panel or did Onstad fuck up? I'm kind of confused.

yeah, they're talking in the 3rd person. notice their hands... in panel 4 they are pointing at each other, in panel 5 they are pointing at themselves
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: rmc303 on February 17, 2006, 08:54:31 am
This is Ted's first go at the American Fight?

This sounds like there is a British equivalent. I shudder at the thought of an all-British GOF. Especially where everyone talks like street urchins from My Fair Lady. All lovely-like.

Oh and hello everyone. Registered DTA (due to awesomeness) etc etc. Thought I'd slip in quietly among all the other newbs.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: jough on February 17, 2006, 08:56:52 am
I'd post something relevant here, but I would hate to interrupt the parade of noobs.

Also, WELCOME to ALL.

The Great Outdoor Fight has summoned the masses.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Drygioni on February 17, 2006, 10:06:10 am
Ted Cobb shouldn't be so (crude and) feckless.

You been drinking booze for... breakfast. Rudie, can't fail. (That's right isn't it?)

Someday, I hope to find someone in Britain who actually speaks like those two. I thought they'd all died out at the beginning of the twentieth century. So it goes.

The fight with Sound and Motion should go into the more surreal side of Achewood. It would be like having it all  in one storyline, and that would be indescribably awesome.   

Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: wombat on February 17, 2006, 11:42:51 am
So you can get into GOF just by having a bleedin' hilarious blog? That's just wrong, that is.


Oh no, that is perfect.  That makes me so happy.  Almost as happy as if the thread title had been "Blogging this fight through a tube in your face."
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Roger on February 17, 2006, 12:39:01 pm
Apparently Onstad's using the same BritSpeak Generator from the Oasis strips.

But I can't possibly fit this accent with Feckless Ted Cobb. For me he's still Sex Machine of From Dusk Till Dawn.

And Barry King... The dude's got pit stains with his shirt off.

This is Ted's first go at the American Fight?

This sounds like there is a British equivalent. I shudder at the thought of an all-British GOF. Especially where everyone talks like street urchins from My Fair Lady. All lovely-like.
 

Maybe the GOF's originally from Britain and got exported to the USA. Just like American Idol.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Emmoh on February 17, 2006, 12:46:25 pm
Not entirely relating to today's strip, but something that occurred to me.

Do we know that Rodney Stubbs has, in fact, passed on? Though Ray's mom spoke about him in the past tense, perhaps that's only because he's gone as far as they're concerned? Is it at all possible that he could make an appearance later in the arc?
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 01:04:44 pm
Listen everyone.


"Can you think of anyone who has a more gigantic and deep seated fury at the world?" is the best Beef reply in this situation.  Beef is now the wise puppet master, pulling Hissing Ray's strings like some sort of... I dunno... Bela Lugosi.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: hoborg on February 17, 2006, 01:10:52 pm
Yeah, definitely a great Beef reply... he has eased my worries of the group's ragtagness.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: EgoSumNoah on February 17, 2006, 01:33:04 pm
The Britishness almost justifies those dudes looking sort of lame.

This is another one of those arcs where one must worry about the difference between the day-by-day strip, versus the strip in book form. For us midnight refreshers, we want a treat each day. In book form, though, you'd want it as gloriously drawn out as possible.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: idiomsavant on February 17, 2006, 01:45:22 pm
Bela Lugosi.
Pull the string! Pull the string!

I have a hard time believing that the Latino Health Crisis ever got picked last for kickball.

Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 01:48:55 pm
Pull the string! Pull the string!
I have a hard time believing that the Latino Health Crisis ever got picked last for kickball.



Oh you totally should've seen him in his 2nd grade class photo.


All orthodontic headgear.
All chubby and pimply.
All smelling vaguely of swiss cheese.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: CortJstr on February 17, 2006, 01:57:23 pm
Ray's team is turning into GOF: A True Underdog Story. Man I hope Stephen Root shows up. That guy is hilarious.

I'm glad somebody already mentioned the shirtless pitstains. Although it took a few too many posts to get there. Work on that for next time kids.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: dejavroom on February 17, 2006, 02:06:12 pm
I resent the "midnight refresher"* comment (because it's true). Sometimes I wish I all but forgot about Achewood so I could come back in three months and get to read arcs like GOF back to back (oh, to be young again, and read 3 years worth of strips in a sitting...).


-----
*I also love it, because it sounds like the nom de guerre of a super-hero whose nightly endeavours you would want as little information about as possible.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Emergent_C on February 17, 2006, 02:19:45 pm
I'm glad somebody already mentioned the shirtless pitstains. Although it took a few too many posts to get there. Work on that for next time kids.

The pit stain is exactly what I came to post about. But when you think about the fact that he's a cat, you realize that he has stained his own fur. That's quite an achievement, Mr. British Dorkcat, sir.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: littlefox on February 17, 2006, 02:20:52 pm
I can't believe Stubbs Senior is so famous that even Brits know about him. He's famous nation-wide. That makes it so much awesomer.

Also, it's sort of a relief to see Beef and Ray break character in the last panel and go back to themselves. I don't know why, it just is. Just like, oh phew, they're still in there.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 17, 2006, 02:41:40 pm
I was not expecting THAT.  I have a hard time believing these two chaps will kick much ass, but stranger things have happened.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: jcreed on February 17, 2006, 03:26:11 pm
There's something sublime and perfect about the way Ray's first-panel "DUST DUST" connects to last episode's last-panel hat-adjust.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: theinevitable on February 17, 2006, 06:41:43 pm
oh god, this reminds me of this horrible movie
at the end, all these heavy-metal dudes admit that they used to be geeks
"I used to play d&d!" "me too!" "I wore 1/4  inch-thich glasses!"

it was great.
k

also, my girlfriend still talks about the time she was sitting on a curb in England, and a bunch of "street punks" walked by who actually talked like this.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Emmoh on February 17, 2006, 06:47:29 pm
!!!

Airheads was awesome!
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: theinevitable on February 17, 2006, 07:05:22 pm
was that the one about the heavy metal guys that take a radio station hostage so that they'll play their songs?


it reminded me of a true story about a Cure fan...

hm.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: antioch on February 17, 2006, 07:13:31 pm
Quote
Ted Cobb shouldn't be so (crude and) feckless.
You been drinking booze for... breakfast. Rudie, can't fail. (That's right isn't it?)


I'd decided to withhold cans from you based on your unfortunate username, but this just rules.
I went to the market - to realize my soul. What I need...I just don't have (oh no).
 
 The names and alternating introduction made me laugh. Also, Ray being appalled at their praise for him is great. You guys helped me catch the panel 5 weirdness. Deffinitely not a mistake. It's sort of like the whole twin keepers of the maze in Labyrinth thing. Again, Ray acts appropriately by getting pissed off.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: robot_god on February 17, 2006, 07:18:54 pm
oh god, this reminds me of this horrible movie
at the end, all these heavy-metal dudes admit that they used to be geeks
"I used to play d&d!" "me too!" "I wore 1/4  inch-thich glasses!"

it was great.
k

also, my girlfriend still talks about the time she was sitting on a curb in England, and a bunch of "street punks" walked by who actually talked like this.

Airheads.  Brandan Fraser, Steve Buschemi, Adam Sandler.

When I was younger, I liked that movie alot, because I played in a metal band.  I can't listen to metal any longer, though.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 17, 2006, 07:47:19 pm
I was not expecting THAT.  I have a hard time believing these two chaps will kick much ass, but stranger things have happened.

They remind me of these two somewhat bumbling but hilarious assassins that always went around together in this one James Bond movie.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Golfhaus on February 17, 2006, 08:51:27 pm
Airheads.  Brandan Fraser, Steve Buschemi, Adam Sandler.

When I was younger, I liked that movie alot, because I played in a metal band.  I can't listen to metal any longer, though.

Why? Your mom not let you or something?
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: drew on February 17, 2006, 08:58:01 pm
They remind me of these two somewhat bumbling but hilarious assassins that always went around together in this one James Bond movie.

Mr. Kidd and Mr. Wint

Diamonds Are Forever
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 09:07:56 pm
They remind me of these two somewhat bumbling but hilarious assassins that always went around together in this one James Bond movie.

See also Vandermar and Croup in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: melack on February 17, 2006, 10:24:31 pm
Soo.... about those shirts...
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Tangle on February 17, 2006, 10:43:48 pm
I still think it's weeeird that Ted & Barry actually refer to themselves in the 3rd person. But I guess that's what overweight British cats that take part in Great Outdoor Fights do.

Man, this is going to be another long weekend waiting for the next episode in this magnificent saga.

And yeah, where's the shirts at? "FRIDAY: Great Outdoor Fight commemorative shirts debut!"? The hell?
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Doc on February 17, 2006, 11:06:04 pm
I concur with the Kidd and Wint/Croup and Vandemar comparisons but make no mistake, these sorts of characters seem nice and polite and appear to be slightly akward and bumbling, but then they eat your liver. In this particular case they aren't quite refined enough to be that sort of assassin character though so I'm going to assume they were cats belonging to the two fat ladies who just went on riding motorcycles after the fatter one died and ended up in hard core bike gangs but never lost their polite urbane roots.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: robot_god on February 17, 2006, 11:45:11 pm
Why? Your mom not let you or something?

Nah, I just evolved musically and I find metal pretty boring, nowadays.  Any music where riffs constantly repeat, I'm thinking, man, just play something different already - it gets pretty boring.  I listen mostly to jazz and progressive rock.

I mean, it was a pretty diverse style of metal, Metallica/Iron Maiden/Iced Earth/In Flamesish, but every kind of metal is basically anger anger anger anger, that's all it says.  It really does not explore the breadth of musical emotion that I try to look for.

Plus, the direction heavy music has gone towards in the past 5 years has been down the shit tube.  Linkin Park made me almost embarrassed to like any rock music, at all, ever.  I dunno.  Now, I like to get high and play music that sounds like all kinds of things, not just ANGRY RIFF ANGRY RIFF CHECK OUT HOW ANGRY THIS SOUNDS.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: nuero on February 17, 2006, 11:51:14 pm
http://www.achewood.com/shop/apparel_qs.php

Shirts, including a Cartilage Head shirt.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: melack on February 18, 2006, 03:04:12 am
Four new shirts? In my day* we called this two shirts.


*pre-quick-ship
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: hoborg on February 18, 2006, 03:33:45 am
Maybe we can pay nine dollars for the shirts and insist that we paid eighteen.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 18, 2006, 04:27:11 am

Plus, the direction heavy music has gone towards in the past 5 years has been down the shit tube.  Linkin Park made me almost embarrassed to like any rock music, at all, ever.  I dunno.  Now, I like to get high and play music that sounds like all kinds of things, not just ANGRY RIFF ANGRY RIFF CHECK OUT HOW ANGRY THIS SOUNDS.

What's up with bands needing to have a screaming guy or moaning girl (Linkin Park, Evanescence) anyhow? I was starting to get uppity too and I'm, like, twice as old as half this board (but not nearly in Rheumatron territory yet)
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: littlefox on February 18, 2006, 04:48:24 am
Now, I like to get high and play music that sounds like all kinds of things, not just ANGRY RIFF ANGRY RIFF CHECK OUT HOW ANGRY THIS SOUNDS.

You can play music that sounds like all kinds of things without getting high.
I think most people will agree that ANGRY RIFF ANGRY RIFF is way lame. It's fun to bob yer head to if you're pissed off, but - wait. WAIT. this is the ACHEWOOD thread. Right.

It kind of bugs me that one of the Brits got in by just having a cool blog. It sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 05:10:13 am
It kind of bugs me that one of the Brits got in by just having a cool blog. It sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

With all of the maiming and such we've seen so far, i'm thinking that it's difficult to find 3000 willing partici****** on an annual basis.  They ain't gonna be too picky. 'You gotta cool blog, yeah you're in.'

~Paul
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: mrchee on February 18, 2006, 07:07:27 am
Ray's team is turning into GOF: A True Underdog Story.

fuck*ng' Chuck Norris
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: nuero on February 18, 2006, 10:09:43 am
Maybe they just hate his blog and that's why they let him in.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: thedudeabides85 on February 18, 2006, 01:04:09 pm
If writing a hilarious blog is enough to merit qualification for the GOF, then is Onstad eligible?  I mean, if the dude would deign to write himself into this arc, he is like ten times the size of the average competitor.  Might he even *gasp*  cut a fine challenge for Rodney L., based on mass alone? Such conjecture reminds me of the old hypothetical one-on-one football games between Ditka and God.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: robot_god on February 18, 2006, 07:50:50 pm
What's up with bands needing to have a screaming guy or moaning girl (Linkin Park, Evanescence) anyhow? I was starting to get uppity too and I'm, like, twice as old as half this board (but not nearly in Rheumatron territory yet)

Apparently, it's great marketing for the 11 - 16 years of age crowd.  Someone's gotta get those kids a bong and a chemistry book.  Think of the possibilities.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 18, 2006, 11:06:19 pm
If writing a hilarious blog is enough to merit qualification for the GOF, then is Onstad eligible?  I mean, if the dude would deign to write himself into this arc, he is like ten times the size of the average competitor.  Might he even *gasp*  cut a fine challenge for Rodney L., based on mass alone? Such conjecture reminds me of the old hypothetical one-on-one football games between Ditka and God.

Sure he's 10 times bigger, but would YOU want to be in the middle of 3000 pissed off cats? It'd be like David and Goliath, only this time David wins!
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: nuero on February 18, 2006, 11:48:39 pm
More new (old) shirt designs. I guess. (Nowhere more relevant to put this information.)
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Doc on February 19, 2006, 11:26:26 am
You guys obviously haven't read 'Gasps and giggles' that's a hardcore blog so it is.

Onstad winning the GOF would be great fun 'hey don't pick me up man, what the hell?'
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: Tangle on February 19, 2006, 01:46:00 pm
You guys obviously haven't read 'Gasps and giggles' that's a hardcore blog so it is.
Man I cold did my best (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2559.msg56305.html#msg56305) to find it but no dice.

Do I hear someone say" googling for the blog of an imaginary British cat is sad and pathetic"? No? Good.
Title: Re: February 17th, 2006 - We's chuffed, we is!
Post by: doomglobe on February 20, 2006, 06:02:13 am
Is reading the blog of an imaginary cat sad and pathetic? Because I do that all the time. Honk if you think that is pathetic.