The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Noah on September 06, 2003, 01:01:01 am

Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: Noah on September 06, 2003, 01:01:01 am
What does this phrase have to do with Achewood!?  All I know is that there  T-shirt, but I don't remember seeing it in any strip. Is it a reference to something else?
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: V-Adore on September 06, 2003, 01:09:03 am
As far as I know, it's just a T-shirt slogan. I know that the Beef-and-headphones graphic is from a strip that doesn't contain anything about science -- it's from after Ray lays Beef off from their software startup, revealing that Ray just gave him a blank "mix tape" as a stipend.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: CortJstr on September 06, 2003, 02:30:49 am
It's just a slogan that exemplifies Beef.

I don't think he really lends himself to catch phrases so one kind of had to be invented.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: Noah on September 06, 2003, 03:05:37 am
Then it's true, Tycho of Penny Arcade reads Achewood! awesome. After his news posts he has some random quote in small letters. "what we need more of is science" was today's.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: jough on September 06, 2003, 06:35:20 am
I do not think that sentiment is unique to Achewood, although that exact wording evidently is - at least according to an advanced Google search for the exact phrase.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: beverly on September 08, 2003, 12:49:18 am
Man, Tycho showed me Achewood.  Long time ago.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: jough on September 08, 2003, 04:03:24 am
What is Tycho?  And what is Penny Arcade?

Is this a band?  A film?  A comic book?

You must understand that Google was no help to me with this one.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: misterhaan on September 08, 2003, 01:41:21 pm
really? (http://www.penny-arcade.com/)
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: jough on September 08, 2003, 06:03:58 pm
Ah, so it's a web comic.

Damn those hyphens in urls.  That shouldn't be allowed.

Let this be a lesson, you crazy kids - never put a hyphen in your web address, or no one will find your site.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: jay-ell on September 08, 2003, 07:24:18 pm
www.pennyarcade.com is a pr0n site.  Hence the hyphen.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: jough on September 08, 2003, 09:12:32 pm
Yeah, I noticed that.  And not even a very good one.  No freebies.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: starlight on September 11, 2003, 11:34:14 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Ah, so it's a web comic.

Damn those hyphens in urls.  That shouldn't be allowed.

Let this be a lesson, you crazy kids - never put a hyphen in your web address, or no one will find your site.


I have a hyphen in my domain - at one point, I forgot it did and got confused ..bwah.  I think I put it there cause it looked jumbled otherwise ..it's to show there are two words :D
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: Choop on September 12, 2003, 01:29:41 am
I can see that - it might look like Sardon Ichee; what the frell's a sardon ichee?

It's like a company I used to work for, "Banker's Exchange." They were going to get the entire business-name-dot-com thing until they realized it might read "Banker Sex Change Dot Com" - so they settled on www.bankersx.com. Whee fun.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: CortJstr on September 12, 2003, 03:11:26 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
I can see that - it might look like Sardon Ichee; what the frell's a sardon ichee?

It's like a company I used to work for, "Banker's Exchange." They were going to get the entire business-name-dot-com thing until they realized it might read "Banker Sex Change Dot Com" - so they settled on www.bankersx.com. Whee fun.


I've heard stories about a few of those domains. Snopes has a lot of that kind of dren. My favorite is a guy I e-mail for work uses tnaccess.com, which I can't help but read TNA every time.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: Steve Hogan on September 12, 2003, 06:02:14 pm
Why do webcomic people say "pr0n" instread of "Porn"?  It weirds me out.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: V-Adore on September 12, 2003, 06:15:58 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Why do webcomic people say "pr0n" instread of "Porn"?  It weirds me out.

As I understand it, it's a (mildly lame) vestige of gamer/"l33t" slang, which is used a lot by webcomics like Penny Arcade that go out of their way to appeal to people who play lots of Quake.

At least they don't write the whole script that way...
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 06:37:05 pm
What the hell does "leet" mean?

Anyway, people spell it "p0rn" because many filters will reject e-mail that use the word "porn."  

I tried to switch to the word "smut" which I like better anyway, but some filters screen that out and bounce my e-mail too.

It's usually some corporate thing that tries to filter these things out.  I guess they consider their employees to be akin to children who need to be protected from the nasty nasty world.

Oh yeah, the word "nasty" is often filtered, too, leading to such phrases as:

"Man, I watched some he11a na5ty p0rn last night..."
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: slink on September 12, 2003, 06:46:52 pm
Quote from: "jough"
What the hell does "leet" mean?


Evil gamer slang for elite - spelt 31337, or thus 1337.
It makes me want to drive my head through solid objects at marginally sub-sonic speed.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 06:52:53 pm
I figured it was slang for "elite" - but I don't know how it could be used.  It's not a disparaging term, so those "evil gamers" would have to use it to refer to themselves, right?  The "cool" people would be "l33t"?

I also don't understand "w00t" although I imagine it as sounded like the bark of a retarded dog.
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: CortJstr on September 12, 2003, 07:00:25 pm
leet is also why you so many people type teh [sic]. As in "Cathy sux teh coq" or "Family Circus is teh suk"

Although I'm pretty sure that pr0n just started as a way to defeat spam filters. Although the hip thing now is to add html comments in the middle of key words. So you see "Viagra" but the filters only see "Vi<!-- 1321313 -->ag<!-- 21lkj32ljk -->ra"

leet primer : http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030110.html
Title: "What We Need More Of Is Science"
Post by: slink on September 12, 2003, 07:11:35 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I figured it was slang for "elite" - but I don't know how it could be used.  It's not a disparaging term, so those "evil gamers" would have to use it to refer to themselves, right?  The "cool" people would be "l33t"?

I also don't understand "w00t" although I imagine it as sounded like the bark of a retarded dog.


Indeed. As in - I 4m teh 133t h4x0r!
I played so much Quake online my brain was etched with this drivel for years...

I also have never really understood w00t. All I can see, from the people around me who now use it who may be using it in an entirely different sense to it's original meaning, is that it's a cry of excitement or satisfaction.
I think however you are entirely right, and it does remind me of my retarded dog barking, particularly in his sleep.