The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on February 21, 2006, 03:44:31 am

Title: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: side_show on February 21, 2006, 03:44:31 am
Calling all foodies:

I have a growing interest in beans, and the overall incorporation of them into my eating.  That said, I hate the taste of canned beans, especially chickpeas - the canned variety are so foul to me, and also I can't eat soybeans/tofu/etc. because they counteract my meds.

Anyway, I am interested in any actually tasty meatless bean-related recipes.  I am specifically seeking out a good black bean dip recipe, but would be interested in anything you all deem tasty.  I brought home a big bag of black beans, and another of garbanzos and they are sitting in the cupboard expectantly.  Can you help a sister out?
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: CortJstr on February 21, 2006, 03:48:53 am
the beans episode of Good Eats would be my first suggestion
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2006, 05:20:49 am
Between Houston and San Antonio lies the little town of Weimer.  Weimer is the home of Kasper's Meat Market (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/SAUSAGE/DSCN10327-E-1024.jpg).  Kaspers makes the best sausage (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/SAUSAGE/DSCN10328-E-1024.jpg) on the planet.  This sausage is like treasure, it's so good.  Whenever I pass through Weimer I gotta stop at Kaspers.  Commuting between Houston and San Antonio these past two months have given me a lot of opportunity to stop at Kaspers.  So much in fact that I have had to cut back on Kaspers  lest I throw my diet straight out the window.  So I'm putting sausage in every recipe I can think of, Sausage and Peppers, Sausage and Saurkraut, Sausage and Turkey Spaghetti (twice), and of course the old stalwart, pinto beans and sausage.  I'd show you what the beans and sausage looked like, but apparently only the saurkraut (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/SAUSAGE/DSCN10662-E-1024.jpg) and the sausage with peppers (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/SAUSAGE/DSCN11076-E-1024.jpg) were deemed photogenic.

~Paul
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: miles on February 21, 2006, 05:24:10 am
That sauerkraut looks delicious.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: wombat on February 21, 2006, 01:06:02 pm
Must the recipes be absolutely meatless?  Because split pea soup is really good but it MUST be flavored with some ham or other smoked meat product.  Yellow split peas are good in it.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 21, 2006, 03:18:29 pm
I like this black bean dip right here (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/104800).  The bacon makes it better, but you could leave that out if you wanted.

I have a black bean chili recipe at home.  In my opinion, it's not that great, but then I like the meats in my chili.  I can post it later if you're interested.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: Golfhaus on February 21, 2006, 03:33:51 pm
I avoid beans. I don't like the texture of them, and I do just fine farting on my own, thank you.

I'm anti-bean to the point of only eating beanless chili.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: CortJstr on February 21, 2006, 05:01:10 pm
I avoid beans. I don't like the texture of them, and I do just fine farting on my own, thank you.

I'm anti-bean to the point of only eating beanless chili.

Who would put beans in chili? That's just cruel.

I can eat hummus, falafel, and some dal but other than that beans best stay out my way. Jelly beans used to get a free pass but too many gross flavors like licorice and popcorn have ruined it for everybody.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: acoxcae on February 21, 2006, 05:07:21 pm
Who *wouldn't* put beans in chili!?  All you "meat only" purists are weirdos - chili was made for beans, and vice versa.

As for other types of beans, I've rarely met a bean I didn't like - the exception being fava beans, which taste, in a blind consensus conducted between me and my mother a few years ago, "exactly like feet."

Black beans are definitely a good option, followed by pinto, navy, and all them other beans.  Man, I think I need to make some kind of bean soup for dinner tonight.  That's what you people have done to me.

If I come across a good black bean dip recipe, I'll be sure to relay it.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: misterqueue on February 21, 2006, 05:09:45 pm
As for other types of beans, I've rarely met a bean I didn't like - the exception being fava beans, which taste, in a blind consensus conducted between me and my mother a few years ago, "exactly like feet."


Now I'm picturing your mother and yourself randomly eating fava beans and licking feet to confirm this.  Thank you for this horrible image, thank you so much.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: AugustWest on February 21, 2006, 05:17:47 pm
I love beans in all their forms and permutations.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 21, 2006, 05:21:49 pm
Now I'm picturing your mother and yourself randomly eating fava beans and licking feet to confirm this.  Thank you for this horrible image, thank you so much.

Q, just to clarify and make your vision that much better: it was each other's feet. And they spent a lot more time on the feet than the beans.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2006, 05:22:36 pm
Were you going for Magical Fruit like Jack in the Beanstalk or did you mean to write Musical Fruit?  I mean because Jack had the magic beans, but beans are the Musical Fruit.

~Paul
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: misterqueue on February 21, 2006, 05:24:51 pm
Q, just to clarify and make your vision that much better: it was each other's feet. And they spent a lot more time on the feet than the beans.

Great now there's honey involved and giggling... and OH MY GOD THE GIANTS ANTS!  THE HORROR! THE HORROR!
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 21, 2006, 05:28:53 pm
Black beans and rice is simple and outstanding. I may be biased with my Cubano blood though. If you want a good recipe I can probably get it from my grandmother or mom.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 21, 2006, 05:33:59 pm
I like chili with beans.  I also like chili without beans.  I like pretty much any kind of chili you got.

I have this book called Chili Nation (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0767902637/103-5798183-1242247?v=glance&n=283155) which has a chili recipe for every state, plus DC.  I have made every recipe out of it save one (that would be Arkansas, which requires that you make tamales first.  One day it'll happen). 

If you look at Amazon's "Look inside" for this, you can actually skeeze the recipe for Alabama's chili, which is regular ol' meat 'n' beans chili like your mom used to make (if you're not from Texas, New Mexico, or Ohio), and is quite the staple at our house.  The Arizona one is really good too.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: acoxcae on February 21, 2006, 06:05:00 pm
Q, just to clarify and make your vision that much better: it was each other's feet. And they spent a lot more time on the feet than the beans.

I knew I should've clarified that sentence, or provided a story.  Now *I'm* grossed out.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: sunnystar on February 22, 2006, 01:17:19 am
I am also grossed out! GOSH GUYS! THAT'S MY BF AND HIS MOM! EWWW!

In other news....
Beans are delicious. A bean dip that I love to make (but Alex is not such a fan of) is a mexican dip where you take a pan (glass is good) and then put refried beans on the bottom and then you could put your black beans on top of that and then layer like tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, onions, whatever you want really, and sprinkle cheese on top and then cook it in a lower temp in the oven until it's all warm. Sometimes I add spiced up ground beef or cream cheese as layers. And having sour cream or guacamole for after the oven cooking is good too. It is a delicious dip for tortilla chips. And you can basically make it however you want, which is an added bonus. :)

Mmmm....now I'm hungry....
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: wombat on February 22, 2006, 01:25:48 am
We're having a lot of trouble answering Smells' request that the recipes be meatless, you wild and crazy carnivores.  Actually I am a bean hater too.  The only bean things I really like are Indian or Ethiopian split pea or lentil dishes.  If I had to eat more meatless beans I would look for recipes for those.  No, I'm lying actually, what I'd do is get those things as take-out.  But they are not that hard to make.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: V-Adore on February 22, 2006, 02:21:17 am
This is an extremely dorky thing to admit, but I somehow managed to develop a psychosomatic (but extremely long-lived and potent) allergy to beans way back in Girl Scout camp. The taste, and that grainy, slimy texture... oh God. That said, I wholeheartedly support beans being eaten by people who aren't me and ideally are nowhere near me -- I like to think it's my way of giving everyone else in the world a few extra beans that I, in my lifetime, won't eat.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that people should post recipes that side_show can actually eat!
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: misterqueue on February 22, 2006, 02:42:52 am
Smells, how do you feel about a bean/rice mixture?  Would this be accessible?  If so I may have just the thing...
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: sunnystar on February 22, 2006, 02:54:49 am
Hey! Mine didn't have meat! You could add it, like I mentioned, but you don't have too! I made it with vegetarian refried beans even (ya know, without the animal fat processed in) and it was even more delicious! I'm not a big meat person myself...at least not a big red meat person.

Q, I like beans and rice recipes! Mmmm...
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 22, 2006, 03:17:12 am
Hey! Mine didn't have meat! You could add it, like I mentioned, but you don't have too! I made it with vegetarian refried beans even (ya know, without the animal fat processed in) and it was even more delicious! I'm not a big meat person myself...at least not a big red meat person.

Q, I like beans and rice recipes! Mmmm...

I've disapointed you by not taking a picture of the beans and sausage I made...

~Paul
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: sunnystar on February 22, 2006, 03:22:42 am
I've disapointed you by not taking a picture of the beans and sausage I made...

~Paul

It is slightly true, but you made up for it with the peppers and sausage picture. That looked DELICIOUS! I gave you a TCoDP for that! :)
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: Golfhaus on February 22, 2006, 12:17:13 pm
I'm not a big meat person myself...

Clearly, given your choice of boyfriend.




OOOOOOH BURNT
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: acoxcae on February 22, 2006, 02:00:58 pm
Golfhaus, it....it hurts when you say that.

I can't believe I got BURNED in the third degree by a messageboard.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: Golfhaus on February 22, 2006, 03:11:48 pm
If it helps any, I was more amused with myself for pulling "OOOOH BURNT" out of my fourth-grade class in 1987 than by insulting your actual, personal hose.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: acoxcae on February 22, 2006, 03:39:54 pm
If it helps any, I was more amused with myself for pulling "OOOOH BURNT" out of my fourth-grade class in 1987 than by insulting your actual, personal hose.

Actually, yes, it does - see, I always associate "OOOOOH BURNT" with the exact same tone of voice and delivery, probably you do too - except that because of your avatar, I pictured that tone and delivery coming from Mr. Bear, and it was hilarious.

to me, anyway
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: Golfhaus on February 22, 2006, 05:47:26 pm
Actually, yes, it does - see, I always associate "OOOOOH BURNT" with the exact same tone of voice and delivery, probably you do too - except that because of your avatar, I pictured that tone and delivery coming from Mr. Bear, and it was hilarious.

to me, anyway

Mr. Bear would be utterly confounded by it.

"What is this exclamation you kids are making these days, talking about lighting aflame your fellow man? You are in Trouble, young people!"
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: sunnystar on February 22, 2006, 07:55:35 pm
Oh man, touchy subject...I don't think I should discuss my bf's "big meat" on a message board. But he surely didn't deserve to be insulted for it. I'll say that much! :)
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2006, 11:22:50 pm
Were you going for Magical Fruit like Jack in the Beanstalk or did you mean to write Musical Fruit?  I mean because Jack had the magic beans, but beans are the Musical Fruit.

~Paul

Yeah, I meant Musical.  I have a raging head cold right now.  I was actually almost in tears last night when my SO brought home tissues without added lotion.  He was sweet enought to go back to exchange them with ones with lotion.

Anyway, yeah, I'm not really interested in the meat dishes.  I have about a million chili recipies. 

Carlos - did you make the been dip from the site you recommended without the bacon?  Was it tasty?  The reviews below the recipie seem sort of negative. 

Hobo and Mr. Q:  I've heard of Rice and Beans, as a food dish, and I've always connected it with Southern cooking for some reason.  But isn't that just...rice and beans?  If so, it sounds really bland to me.  How do you guys make it?
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 22, 2006, 11:24:38 pm
Yeah, I meant Musical.  I have a raging head cold right now.  I was actually almost in tears last night when my SO brought home tissues without added lotion.  He was sweet enought to go back to exchange them with ones with lotion.

Anyway, yeah, I'm not really interested in the meat dishes.  Carlos - did you make the been dip from the site you recommended without the bacon?  Was it tasty?


Not interested in eating the meat? You should send him back for tissues with EXTRA lotion.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 23, 2006, 03:41:47 pm
Carlos - did you make the been dip from the site you recommended without the bacon?  Was it tasty?  The reviews below the recipie seem sort of negative. 

Hell yes I included the bacon.  Bacon tastes good.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: lprkn on February 24, 2006, 10:20:13 pm
Hell yes I included the bacon.  Bacon tastes good.

So do porkchops, from what I've heard.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: Lister on February 27, 2006, 09:10:46 pm
Between Houston and San Antonio lies the little town of Weimer.  Weimer is the home of Kasper's Meat Market (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/SAUSAGE/DSCN10327-E-1024.jpg).  Kaspers makes the best sausage (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/SAUSAGE/DSCN10328-E-1024.jpg) on the planet.  This sausage is like treasure, it's so good.  Whenever I pass through Weimer I gotta stop at Kaspers.  Commuting between Houston and San Antonio these past two months have given me a lot of opportunity to stop at Kaspers.  So much in fact that I have had to cut back on Kaspers  lest I throw my diet straight out the window.  So I'm putting sausage in every recipe I can think of, Sausage and Peppers, Sausage and Saurkraut, Sausage and Turkey Spaghetti (twice), and of course the old stalwart, pinto beans and sausage.  I'd show you what the beans and sausage looked like, but apparently only the saurkraut (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/SAUSAGE/DSCN10662-E-1024.jpg) and the sausage with peppers (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/SAUSAGE/DSCN11076-E-1024.jpg) were deemed photogenic.

~Paul

Random weird internet coincidence: One of my friends from school (http://www.bighugegames.com/team/jasonjurecka.html) is from Weimer, and insisted that I stop there and eat at the barbecue place located inside the Shell off the interstate.  He was SO RIGHT, and this sausage is one of the reasons why.  The beef is also delicious.

This has been a complete non-sequitur.  I don't know how to cook beans without involving at least chicken stock.
Title: Re: The Magical Fruit...
Post by: swinehund on April 07, 2006, 05:48:56 pm
Oh man. Is so outdated, but you didn't actually get many recipes. I have one for you.

about 2 cups of cooked black beans (2/3 cup from dry)*
1-3 cloves raw garlic
1 roasted red pepper (just toss it on a hot pan or skillet until the skin chars and blisters, cool, and pick as much of the skin off as you can)
3 tbs. sunflower seeds
3-4 tbs lime juice
1/2 tsp cumin
sriracha (rooster sauce) (http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm) to taste, or chili powder
salt to taste

Blend all that shit in a food processor, or mince it finely by hand if you're masochistic/ have no blender. I recommend doing the garlic and seeds first. Add enough water to make it go if it bungs up. If you are serving it in a fancy manner, garnish it with a couple sprigs of fresh cilantro.

*To avoid farting from beans, rinse them as much as possible. Either out of the can, or change the water several times in the cooking process. A decent way to cook beans is to soak them overnight (but pick them over first for stones on a big plate), then change the water and boil, covered, on medium heat for at least 2 hours. Don't add any salt or lemon juice while they're cooking, this will keep them hard. A pressure cooker makes this a lot faster (and your beans softer). It will include instructions on how to cook the beans.