The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2006, 08:47:12 am
-
February 20, 2006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02212006)
I don't understand half of what that dude Barry is writing about?
~Paul
-
Ray is spending most of his time planning strategy with Beef and about 30 people have joined his team.
-
All I can tell is that Black Flag-loving Leander found some like-minded friends to boost the punk demographic. I think.
-
No me gusta
-
So, Téodor doesn't know Beef is also in the fight? Or is he jealous of Beef being referred to as "best mate"? I can't tell if he's angry or confused in the last panel.
Téodor's got quite a tasty double flat screen setup going on.
still no luck googling for Gasps and Giggles
I think it's getting to the point where I should refresh my memory and reread the whole arc from the beginning.
-
So, Téodor doesn't know Beef is also in the fight?
"Is Téodor about to find a bunch of pillows artfully arranged beneath Beef's bedspread?"
-
So, Téodor doesn't know Beef is also in the fight?
Right. Remember, Ray didn't find out until right when they were getting there.
I thought the strip served it's purpose, answers a couple questions, shows a peak at meanwhile, on the outside and continues to advance the story line.
-
Teodor's response here almost seems out of character for him. The "He Took Sipes?" line specificallly. It doesn't feel like Teodor, but then maybe I am overanalyzing a cartoon about talking stuffed animals, in which case I am glad I'm doing it in the right place.
-
Will Gasps and Giggles make it as its own blog?
Aw man, I think I have mosquito bites. Shouldn't they be dead?
-
How come Barry King's nom de plume is Barry Best (not much of a departure, you know)? Also, his blog reads like the Wernham Hogg News Bulletin, written and edited by David Brent:
For those of you who remember Pete Gibbons, congrats are in order. His lovely wife Jan is pregnant again! If the baby is anything like it's dad, it'll probably be late!
This week's competition is - guess who the father is! Ha ha, only joking Pete.
For those of you who don't remember Gibbo, he was with us from 1989 to 2000, but took voluntary redundancy to deal with troubles in his marriage. Let's hope this baby brings them closer together.
It's possible I'm just lumping together anything even vaguely British, because his blog even reminded me of an early Benjamin Disraeli novel.
-
Onstad one-ups us: Rather than TV from inside the fight or blogging from outside the fight, blogging from inside the fight. This is why he is the Artiste and we are just the adoring masses.
-
How come Barry King's nom de plume is Barry Best (not much of a departure, you know)?
It's possible neither are his real name; King is his name for the GOF, Best is for the blog. He probably just likes the name Barry. Weirdo.
Do you think all these guys are running under fake names? Or maybe just the big guys?
"He took Sipes" seems OK for Teodor to say. I think people talk differently - more manly, perhaps - when thinking about the fight. So Teodor is bucking it up a bit?
I feel like the next comic will be the dawning realization of, "Wait ... where's Beef? ::dramatic pause::"
"Ray wouldn't roll with guys like that" confused me. Doesn't Teodor realize that in the GOF, you don't really get to PICK the guys you roll with? It just happens and if you're rolling with anybody, you're lucky.
-
Do you think all these guys are running under fake names? Or maybe just the big guys?
My gut feeling is that there are three ranks of fighters at the GOF:
1) Little-to-middling guys with outrageously over-the-top fake names (like The Latino Health Crisis);
2) Little-to-middling guys who already come supplied with freaky names and thus use their real one (like Leander); and
3) Big guys with relatively sedate and formulaic fake names (like Perfect Ron Sipes).
This implies that Barry King is either a bigger fighter than we've led to believe (or canny enough to take a name in the style of a bigger fighter) or using his real name, which is possible.
Out of curiosity, has Beef's nom de fight been revealed yet?
-
Curses, someone beat me to the punch: http://gaspsandgiggles.blogspot.com/
-
"Ray wouldn't roll with guys like that" confused me. Doesn't Teodor realize that in the GOF, you don't really get to PICK the guys you roll with? It just happens and if you're rolling with anybody, you're lucky.
Well, Beef is setting this up of course.
-
"Ray wouldn't roll with guys like that" confused me. Doesn't Teodor realize that in the GOF, you don't really get to PICK the guys you roll with? It just happens and if you're rolling with anybody, you're lucky.
This is setting up Teodor's realization that Beef is in the fight also. The entire implied quote is "Ray wouldn't roll with guys like that ... but Roast Beef would." That's why he also questions the "best mate" line.
I wonder if his 2nd monitor is still showing Ray's machine (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07132004).
-
I wonder if his 2nd monitor is still showing Ray's machine (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07132004).
Oh, now you're just CortJstring for the hell of it!
Not that we don't love you for it, of course.
-
1. Collect dudes who gripe about video games, blog on Blackberries and enjoy punk music.
2. ?
3. Win the GOF!
Huh?
-
1. Collect dudes who gripe about video games, blog on Blackberries and enjoy punk music.
2. ?
3. Win the GOF!
Huh?
Exactly. But the more interesting thing to me is, the more people Ray gets on his side, the more people he's going to have to turn on in the end, right? There can be only one, and all that?
We all expect the Ray/Beef showdown (though secretly I suspect a maudlin handshake and a "Let's call it a tie!"), but it's hard to imagine what might happen when/if everyone else is down and it's just Ray and the Carnage Club and all of a sudden it's man time, and he's got to come real.
It'll be an interesting strip that day.
-
We all expect the Ray/Beef showdown (though secretly I suspect a maudlin handshake and a "Let's call it a tie!"), but it's hard to imagine what might happen when/if everyone else is down and it's just Ray and the Carnage Club and all of a sudden it's man time, and he's got to come real.
It'll be an interesting strip that day.
Word.
As for today's strip though, it would have been nice if it told a joke. Since that's what comic strips are supposed to do.
-
It's not exactly uncommon for an Achewood strip to not tell a joke.
-
Loved the Arsenal reference muchly. You really can find people in England who will bond together just to argue over football. The fight seems like the perfect place for football hooligans; I'd bet the whole Millwall team are actually participating. What a coincidence that Alan Smith's leg broke the other day. Maybe John Arne Riise was having his own little Great Outdoor Fight. (If none of this makes sense, research it all at once.)
Strip was half-disappointing. More action would have been nice, but then again I'd complain if I did not see any of the other characters during this arc. How fickle.
-
Does anyone else feel like Beef, in his apparent GOF omniscience, might have deliberately recruited Leander and Feckless Ted because he knew their affiliations would give the Stubbs Army a flock of expendable mooks to deploy?
-
I have very little doubt of it.
-
The fight seems like the perfect place for football hooligans; I'd bet the whole Millwall team are actually participating.
"have you heard this chant? millwall, millwall, you're all really dreadful... and all your girlfriends are unfullfilled and alienated.."
-
The fight seems like the perfect place for football hooligans; I'd bet the whole Millwall team are actually participating.
"have you heard this chant? millwall, millwall, you're all really dreadful... and all your girlfriends are unfullfilled and alienated.."
Oh, hell yes.
Can't forget the old classics:
''You're shit! And you know it! You're shit! And you know it!'' - Generic insult
''The referee's a wanker! The referee's a wanker!'' - Guess.
''You're just a small town in Oxford! You're just a small town in Oxford!'' - Swindon insult, which makes no sense as Swindon is most definitely not in either Oxford or Oxfordshire.
''E I E I E I O, up the football league we go!'' Any team looking for promotion. Next year, they are demoted without fail.
I'd say some nice chants, but they're a bit boring.
-
It's possible I'm just lumping together anything even vaguely British, because his blog even reminded me of an early Benjamin Disraeli novel.
Awesome. Thank you for making the History nerd in me cackle at the juxtaposition of a Victorian PM with a blogging British cat.
-
Awesome. Thank you for making the History nerd in me cackle at the juxtaposition of a Victorian PM with a blogging British cat.
I read this at first as "Victorian private message" and assumed it was yet another bit of risque slang that I was unfamiliar with.
-
Victorian Private Message:
From M_____ Queue
Dearest Womby, I have left you this wax sealed letter written in my finest script in your secret mailbox out behind the cottage we share with Uncle.
I certainly hope he does not stumble out as he did the evening prior and drunkenly labor over our hides with the belt. I am, of course, beside myself with fear that he may yet find our hiding place and thereupon lay us about the face and tender spots; enjoying himself most longly.
Yours In Fear,
M______ Queue
-
Gotta be honest, this new arc ain't doing much for me. I dig me some Ray, but not when he becomes the default character for all things badass. He and Beef are way out of character, and I'm shocked to see a fight like this with nary a Lyle or Todd in sight.
Besides, some of the punchlines (Beef's aphorism on dodgeball, etc.) just don't fit Achewood's feel. Not like this. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10132003) Pointing out that the kids picked last in dodgeball are violatile is too mundane a joke for Mr. Onstad.
Of course, this strip is free. So I'm not losing sleep over this.
That being said, I seem to remember haunting these forums a day or so ago and noting some folks here clamoring for a strip that would deal with the other characters' responding to Ray and Beef.
Ah, yes - here. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2570.0.html)
And then, it occurs.
So could you all use your influencing powers on Mr. Onstad to have Lie Bot appear? I am contemplating a Lie Bot tattoo, and the more I see him, the more it wears down on my concerns that I would someday regret a Lie Bot tattoo.
-
Victorian Private Message:
From M_____ Queue
Dearest Womby, I have left you this wax sealed letter written in my finest script in your secret mailbox out behind the cottage we share with Uncle.
I certainly hope he does not stumble out as he did the evening prior and drunkenly labor over our hides with the belt. I am, of course, beside myself with fear that he may yet find our hiding place and thereupon lay us about the face and tender spots; enjoying himself most longly.
Yours In Fear,
M______ Queue
Damn queue, nice job. But what do you say to scholars who claim that Womby's "secret mailbox" (the place where you've put your package) is actually straight-up referring to her pu$$y? What do you say to those people?
-
Sometimes a secret mailbox is just a secret mailbox.*
* Other times a secret mailbox is actually the preserved and hollowed out corpse of a rat; it is all we could find back during our days with Horrible Uncle Hermann.
-
My darling Q,
Please God that you find this note safely. When Uncle sent you to tend the chickens, he lured me into the parlor and forced me to lift my petticoats and show him my ankles. Barely escaping his evil clutches I have fled in disguise to a small town in Oxford, whose name I dare not commit to writing for fear of discovery. When you find me, you will recognize me by the secret handshake.
In haste,
W
-
I have fled in disguise to a small town in Oxford..
You did that on purpose!
Obviously.
-
::applause:: YES. Cans for both of you.
Making fun of Victorians should be much encouraged.
-
So could you all use your influencing powers on Mr. Onstad to have Lie Bot appear? I am contemplating a Lie Bot tattoo, and the more I see him, the more it wears down on my concerns that I would someday regret a Lie Bot tattoo.
Only if you get the strip "what's so bad about a rotob's ass?" tattooed on your ass.
That would be funny.
-
Gotta be honest, this new arc ain't doing much for me. I dig me some Ray, but not when he becomes the default character for all things badass. He and Beef are way out of character, and I'm shocked to see a fight like this with nary a Lyle or Todd in sight.
Besides, some of the punchlines (Beef's aphorism on dodgeball, etc.) just don't fit Achewood's feel. Not like this. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10132003) Pointing out that the kids picked last in dodgeball are violatile is too mundane a joke for Mr. Onstad.
S'a good point, I was surprised by that as well, but I said nothing. I must improve. That is how the cleansing happens.
Also, hella points for linking a strip in which Beef is smoking cigarettes. I don't remember Beef ever quitting cigarettes, but never smokes them anymore.
-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_and_Leander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_and_Leander)
"Succumbing to Leander's soft words, and to his argument that Aphrodite, as goddess of love, would scorn the worship of a virgin, Hero allowed him to make love to her. This routine lasted through the warm summer. But one stormy winter night, the waves tossed Leander in the sea and the breezes blew out Hero's light, and Leander lost his way, and was drowned. Hero threw herself from a tower in grief and died as well."
-
It's because, basically, California is going to make smoking illegal sooner or later. (http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_site/the_lookout/news/News-2006/February-2006/02_21_06_Council_Considers_Expanding_Smoking_Ban.htm)
Also, Karva, interesting non-sequitor but I think we covered that here (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2545.msg56008.html#msg56008).
-
It's because, basically, California is going to make smoking illegal sooner or later. (http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_site/the_lookout/news/News-2006/February-2006/02_21_06_Council_Considers_Expanding_Smoking_Ban.htm)
Also, Karva, interesting non-sequitor but I think we covered that here (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2545.msg56008.html#msg56008).
Ah.
-
So could you all use your influencing powers on Mr. Onstad to have Lie Bot appear? I am contemplating a Lie Bot tattoo, and the more I see him, the more it wears down on my concerns that I would someday regret a Lie Bot tattoo.
Why would one possibly regret having a Lie Bot tattoo? Clearly you're destined for a tattoo of an automaton's behind, which is never, ever bad.
That said, I think it may be time to invoke the ancient and sacred cry, the one I recall reverberating across the Ur-MB when I was still a timid lurker and Onstad walked the earth like a god:
NEEDS MORE LYLE
Great, and here I've already been losing my tiny cans at a huge rate; watch the rest of them spiral down the drain...
Also, I had a comment about Queue and Wombat's "secret mailbox," but it's already been covered. Good work, folks!
-
S'a good point, I was surprised by that as well, but I said nothing. I must improve. That is how the cleansing happens.
Also, hella points for linking a strip in which Beef is smoking cigarettes. I don't remember Beef ever quitting cigarettes, but never smokes them anymore.
In the bonus features of one of the books he talks about various quit-smoking programs but he's been seen to smoke since then (such as when hacking yahoo)
-
That said, I think it may be time to invoke the ancient and sacred cry, the one I recall reverberating across the Ur-MB when I was still a timid lurker and Onstad walked the earth like a god:
NEEDS MORE LYLE
Great, and here I've already been losing my tiny cans at a huge rate; watch the rest of them spiral down the drain...
Just for that, I GAVE you a TCoDP...TAKE THAT! :)
-
Ah... I so love the brit speak...
The tiny detail of 'XML' and 'RSS' made me and mom laugh since I just got through telling her how syndications / rss readers work and how to phrase it on her page since she didn't want a newsletter anymore. instead, she just wanted to update new stuff on the blog. anyhow, yes... it's the little things....
*ahem*
Yeah, I've been missing for most this arc and... that's all I have to say...
Though I'd like to hear from mr. bear.. where's he been?
..and the glasses beef's been wearing makes me think he's in some sci-fi flick for some reason.
-
Starlight, thank you for sharing. Indeed, the XML/RSS distinction has saved many broken families, and contributed to several Oedipal Complexes.
-
Why would one possibly regret having a Lie Bot tattoo? Clearly you're destined for a tattoo of an automaton's behind, which is never, ever bad.
Only if you get the strip "what's so bad about a rotob's ass?" tattooed on your ass.
That would be funny.
I enjoy the assumption that I would take things three steps hilarious and get Lie Bot's ass on my ass. That is not a safe long-term strategy.
I think if I get the Lie Bot tattoo, it will be a bit more conservative. Though I may lavish the design with a banner declaring "WHY FIND OUT"
-
I enjoy the assumption that I would take things three steps hilarious and get Lie Bot's ass on my ass. That is not a safe long-term strategy.
I think if I get the Lie Bot tattoo, it will be a bit more conservative. Though I may lavish the design with a banner declaring "WHY FIND OUT"
Properly, it should say "boo to that!"