The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Golfhaus on February 22, 2006, 05:51:11 pm

Title: Wolverine Melanie
Post by: Golfhaus on February 22, 2006, 05:51:11 pm
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060222/ap_on_sc/tracking_wolverines (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060222/ap_on_sc/tracking_wolverines)

The Forest Service has caught a wolverine and fitted it with a radio collar. Its name is Melanie.
Title: Re: Wolverine Melanie
Post by: jough on February 22, 2006, 06:28:10 pm
I always knew Smells was Wolverine!

Snickt!  Snickt!
Title: Re: Wolverine Melanie
Post by: V-Adore on February 22, 2006, 07:31:00 pm
The fact that the wolverine is named after the dude's granddaughter, whose birthday he missed to go hunt wolverines, is kind of the saddest thing, but the existence of a wolverine named Melanie kind of makes up for it.
Title: Re: Wolverine Melanie
Post by: FutureDeadPerson on February 22, 2006, 07:41:17 pm
So who gets the $15 gift card to Best Buy he bought for Melanie's birthday?  The dude's granddaughter or the wolverine with the same name?
Title: Re: Wolverine Melanie
Post by: Doc on February 22, 2006, 10:49:24 pm
That went towards the radio collar.
But it's cool, he lets the grandaughter wear it from time to time too.
Title: Re: Wolverine Melanie
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2006, 11:47:08 pm
From the article:
Quote
While she was tranquilized, biologists weighed Melanie and punched in an ear-tag, keeping part of the skin for a DNA sample.

I was wondering where that came from.

Quote
The biologists were particularly excited to catch a young female. That means she's probably part of a resident family, and not just wandering through, they said.

Yeah, I remember that part, I was just walking along, and they threw a net on me, and they were all shouting "we got her! Yay!"  Wouldn't you be excited, though, if you were them?  They got it wrong, though, I'm actually, as you all know, from Canada.  I was just visiting.

Quote
Some Native American tribes used to call (Melanie's ancestors)"skunk bear."

It's true.  That's where the whole "Smells" thing comes from, originally.