The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Satcrates on February 28, 2006, 10:29:48 pm

Title: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Satcrates on February 28, 2006, 10:29:48 pm
I'd like to accessorize my Achewood books with appendices containing the alt text for each strip, and I was hoping someone really obsessive already put in the time to make a dated alt text list.

I attempted to do my newbie duty and search the archives before posting, but I didn't find a thread where anyone confessed to actually making such a thing, though there was some discussion of people using post-it notes, and I did find Wombat's excellent suggestion:

"Technology to the rescue:  Type them all and cut them up, and then you can buy a glue stick that has Post-It glue on it and so turns anything you want into a Post-It.  God, I love the 21st century."

If anyone HAS typed them all out (or is aware of some place on the web where a list is available) I'm hoping they will share...
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: acoxcae on February 28, 2006, 10:40:32 pm
I don't know how technically inclined you are, but it would be fairly trivial to write a script to grab them for you - if I have some time, I may do it, just because sometimes I get bored.  Otherwise, it's seriously probably 10-15 lines of whatever your favorite (network-enabled) language is.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 28, 2006, 11:06:58 pm
On the other hand, there are some fairly effective treatments for OCD out there and you may want to consult your healthcare professional for an appropriate referral.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 28, 2006, 11:25:30 pm
On the other hand, there are some fairly effective treatments for OCD out there and you may want to consult your healthcare professional for an appropriate referral.

Let the man catalog the alt text for us.  This is important data.

~Paul
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: CortJstr on February 28, 2006, 11:44:15 pm
If Onstad would sign up for transcription (http://www.ohno*****.com/) this would already be done for us. And by "for us" I mean "by us" because we're obsessive like that.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2006, 11:45:20 pm
On the other hand, there are some fairly effective treatments for OCD out there and you may want to consult your healthcare professional for an appropriate referral.


Until he's reached this level of OCD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_giraffe_on_stamps) I think he's fine.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2006, 11:46:58 pm
damn, man! dont' start with the OCD-accusing!

there is so much good in the world because of OCD.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: acoxcae on February 28, 2006, 11:47:28 pm
Well, in between the time when this was an innocuous question and the time when it was indicative of obsessive-compulsive behaviors, I've written the program and have the list.  If you'd like either, PM me.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2006, 11:49:37 pm
damn, man! dont' start with the OCD-accusing!

there is so much good in the world because of OCD.

good:
carolus linnaeus
j.r.r tolkien

bad:
aristotle

expand the list
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Satcrates on March 01, 2006, 12:00:10 am
good: acoxcae!
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 01, 2006, 12:12:54 am
Well, in between the time when this was an innocuous question and the time when it was indicative of obsessive-compulsive behaviors, I've written the program and have the list.  If you'd like either, PM me.

No matter how unimpressive this effort was to you as you did it, my non-techie self says "wow, A. Cox, that is impressive".

The program is utilitarian. The need is obsessive.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 01, 2006, 12:14:23 am
Well, in between the time when this was an innocuous question and the time when it was indicative of obsessive-compulsive behaviors, I've written the program and have the list.  If you'd like either, PM me.

yay perl
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: theinevitable on March 01, 2006, 01:09:02 am
good: this girl in a book I had to read for psych class, who was an obsessive-compulsive social worker.

she went on prozac, and stopped caring.

good:    Howard Hughes
     Nikola Tesla
     Charles Darwin
     Howie Mandel (who is this?)
     Florence Nightingale
     Marc Summers (who is this, too?)
     Howard Stern
     Joey Ramone

OCD helps you make punk rock, or do science, or be a jerk on the radio!

good: german people. they are so neat!
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Immortal on March 01, 2006, 01:15:21 am

     Howie Mandel (who is this?)
     Marc Summers (who is this, too?)

howie mandel was a stand-up comic in the 80s... his most famous bit involved putting a latex glove over his head and inflating it with his nose. he stopped in the early 90s after getting a brain problem. he had a cartoon show in the 90s called "bobby's world" that was supposed to be about his childhood, or something. and now he is the host of the game show "deal or no deal," which i believe was stolen from various other countries.

marc summers was also a game show host. he was on nickelodeon's "double dare" in the late 80s/early 90s. now he is the host of "unwrapped" on the food network
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: acoxcae on March 01, 2006, 02:12:23 am
yay perl

Damn straight.  10 lines and it still feels bloated.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: V-Adore on March 01, 2006, 03:00:22 am
Marc Summers always impressed me because apparently his OCD was particularly focused on cleanliness, an then he ended up hosting a wide array of Nickelodeon game shows involving copious quantities of goo being flung around. The fact that he somehow got through that, a working situation that would be vile even to non-OCD types, makes me believe that he is a very, very brave man.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 01, 2006, 03:47:53 am
howie mandel was a stand-up comic in the 80s... his most famous bit involved putting a latex glove over his head and inflating it with his nose. he stopped in the early 90s after getting a brain problem.

Some might say...

~Paul
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Hobot on March 01, 2006, 04:55:37 am
OCD is a hoot and a holler (http://www.bitterfilms.com/anesthetics-bobby1.html)!

And I would say that Nikola Tesla is also a contender for the "bad" category.  After all, he claimed to have developed a teleforce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleforce) weapon, colloquially known as a death ray.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Doc on March 01, 2006, 10:14:59 am
Hobot: Your definition of 'bad' is so very very relative.

Why is aristotle on the bad list anyway Bobby? Are we talking bad for us or bad for him?
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 01, 2006, 01:41:32 pm
Hobot: Your definition of 'bad' is so very very relative.

Why is aristotle on the bad list anyway Bobby? Are we talking bad for us or bad for him?

For the world.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: CortJstr on March 01, 2006, 02:13:05 pm
OCD is a hoot and a holler (http://www.bitterfilms.com/anesthetics-bobby1.html)!

And I would say that Nikola Tesla is also a contender for the "bad" category.  After all, he claimed to have developed a teleforce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleforce) weapon, colloquially known as a death ray.

Hey, without him Red Alert and Red Alert 2 would have been slightly different games and potentially less fun. That's enough to call him good in my book.

Plus I think there was a tesla coil on Mythbusters one time.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Herr Currywurst on March 01, 2006, 03:18:38 pm
Hey, without him Red Alert and Red Alert 2 would have been slightly different games and potentially less fun. That's enough to call him good in my book.

Plus I think there was a tesla coil on Mythbusters one time.

We would also not have had the brilliant vignette "Jack shows Meg his Tesla Coil" in Coffee and Cigarettes.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Emergent_C on March 01, 2006, 03:18:57 pm
But wouldn't that hair metal band named after him basically just, you know, mitigate all that good?
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Hobot on March 01, 2006, 03:36:37 pm
Like most people of his time, Tesla was also a fan of selective breeding and eugenics:

"[...] man's new sense of pity began to interfere with the ruthless workings of nature. The only method compatible with our notions of civilization and the race is to prevent the breeding of the unfit by sterilization and the deliberate guidance of the mating instinct [...]. The trend of opinion among eugenists is that we must make marriage more difficult. Certainly no one who is not a desirable parent should be permitted to produce progeny. A century from now it will no more occur to a normal person to mate with a person eugenically unfit than to marry a habitual criminal."

- quoted from the Personal Views (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla#Personal_views) section of Nikola Tesla's Wiki entry
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: wombat on March 01, 2006, 03:43:29 pm
Those were the days.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: trouserbat on March 01, 2006, 08:35:09 pm

Until he's reached this level of OCD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_giraffe_on_stamps) I think he's fine.

HOLY *****. That knocked my socks flat on their asses!!
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: colmore on March 01, 2006, 08:49:24 pm
could you post the script somewhere?
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: trouserbat on March 01, 2006, 08:52:00 pm
could you post the script somewhere?

Posting the list would probably be better than posting the script, having several people running a screen scraper seperately would probably chew up quite a bit of bandwidth.  :o
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: acoxcae on March 01, 2006, 08:56:05 pm
I can do both!

The list is at:  http://edgecom.homelinux.com/alttexts (http://edgecom.homelinux.com/alttexts)
and the script is http://edgecom.homelinux.com/getalt (http://edgecom.homelinux.com/getalt)

If I get particularly ambitious, I'll make the list update daily, but odds of that happening are extremely slim, because while I like development, I don't like maintenance.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: misterqueue on March 01, 2006, 09:09:25 pm
Now we need another script that randomizes that page to make poetry.


"Dave Thomas, what language? da da da by Trio is a dick"
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: acoxcae on March 01, 2006, 09:14:57 pm
Why randomize it?

02082002: A friend; a dead friend?
02112002: Color Mondays!
02122002: Silly-ass pizza installment!

Maybe get rid of the numbers, but then, that could be a poetic device!
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Emergent_C on March 01, 2006, 09:20:03 pm
Acheomancy: (n) The occult art of foretelling the future through the reading and reinterpretation of random Achewood alt text.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: misterqueue on March 01, 2006, 09:20:13 pm
Why randomize it?  The same reason we crush cars, make slim-jims, and blow up the moon.


BECAUSE WE CAN!
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: CortJstr on March 01, 2006, 09:26:44 pm
Why randomize it?  The same reason we crush cars, make slim-jims, and blow up the moon.


BECAUSE WE CAN!

Why blow up the moon when you can carve your name and/or visage into it? Clearly you lack the vision to make you a truly great villain like Chairface Chippendale or Cobra Commander. Also, not enough Cs in your name.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: theinevitable on March 01, 2006, 09:32:18 pm
yes.
we shall tell the future by achewood alt-texts.
and it will be good.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: misterqueue on March 01, 2006, 09:46:13 pm
Why blow up the moon when you can carve your name and/or visage into it? Clearly you lack the vision to make you a truly great villain like Chairface Chippendale or Cobra Commander. Also, not enough Cs in your name.

What are you some kind of smart monkey?

I'm talking about blowing up the fuck*ng moon here!  THE MOOON! (http://www.tv.com/the-best-of-mr.-show-the-incredible-fantastical-news-report/episode/303024/summary.html)
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: lprkn on March 01, 2006, 09:48:52 pm
Wait, doesn't no moon = no tides = bad juju?

A supervillain wants to rule a planet with people on it, not a big ball of dirt. (and no tides)
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: misterqueue on March 01, 2006, 09:52:46 pm
Wait, doesn't no moon = no tides = bad juju?

A supervillain wants to rule a planet with people on it, not a big ball of dirt. (and no tides)

Man.. we TALKED about this. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2599.msg57931.html#msg57931)
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Roger on March 02, 2006, 06:58:16 pm
O boy that list is basically like treasure. I guess I'm gonna print it and read it on the bus.

Some of the strip titles as they appear on the Archive page are pretty funny be themselves. Like No porno! Wait. Some porno. I guess they're absent from the books too?
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: acoxcae on March 02, 2006, 07:04:19 pm
O boy that list is basically like treasure. I guess I'm gonna print it and read it on the bus.

Some of the strip titles as they appear on the Archive page are pretty funny be themselves. Like No porno! Wait. Some porno. I guess they're absent from the books too?

Yeah, if I were really OCD, I'd make a list that combines them.

So, I'll probably have it done a little later.

Then I'll OCR all the dialogue in.

Then I'll stay at home and weep softly while life passes me by.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Roger on March 02, 2006, 07:19:44 pm
Yeah, if I were really OCD, I'd make a list that combines them.

So, I'll probably have it done a little later.

Then I'll OCR all the dialogue in.

Then I'll stay at home and weep softly while life passes me by.

Are you down with OPP too?

sorry that was hell of lame
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Lane on March 02, 2006, 07:40:42 pm
This is just to say thank you to acoxcae and everyone who encouraged the writing of this script, because the existence of a comprehensive alt text list totally justifies the existence of this board.  You guys are awesome.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 02, 2006, 08:39:32 pm
Yeah, if I were really OCD, I'd make a list that combines them.

So, I'll probably have it done a little later.

Then I'll OCR all the dialogue in.

Then I'll stay at home and weep softly while life passes me by.

WE NEED TO FEED THE ALT TEXTS TO PANTSROBOT!

Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 02, 2006, 09:14:28 pm
This is just to say thank you to acoxcae and everyone who encouraged the writing of this script, because the existence of a comprehensive alt text list totally justifies the existence of this board.  You guys are awesome.

This board took 2 1/2 years to justify itself? Hopefully the profits are rolling in for Jough starting now.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: jough on March 03, 2006, 04:46:18 am
Alex, where were you when we were talking about the tagging achewood project?
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: acoxcae on March 03, 2006, 04:48:58 am
Coming in at the tail end of the discussion - actually, I think my post about scraping titles from RSS is still the last post in one of the tagging forums.
Title: Re: Has anyone created a dated alt text list?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 10, 2006, 06:04:26 pm
This is sweet and thank you.

Also, Lane, you are a post-whore.