The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Emmoh on March 01, 2006, 08:56:03 am
-
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03012006
Another great strip. The feast turns out to be a tactical option. Ray goes the road less traveled, but unknowingly the one traveled by his father. Rodney proposed to (I'm assuming) Mrs. Smuckles immediately after the fight. And apparently Beef has been planning for this since he was 13.
-
Beef has been planning for this since he could understand the concept of the GOF (about 4 and 2 months), it just took him till 13 to get the resources together to plan properly. He formulated earlier plans but they were full of youthful naievete that fell away as he learned about the reality that is the Fight.
Damn though I really like this part of the backstory. We knew this was a big deal for Beef but it may be the biggest deal. This may be his lifelong dream coalescing around him. Which kind of makes me worry about the outcome since we know how his dreams come true generally turn out. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03202003)
-
Ray goes the road less traveled, but unknowingly the one traveled by his father.
Yeah, looks like Ray is channeling Rodney (or something like that) pretty heavily again. Check out panel 3 - since when does Ray talk to Beef like that?
Those winning fighters' names kick all sorts of ass. Paul Judas? And some duder's name was MOTOR CITY MASSACRE!? Or maybe that's the title of that year's fight, where no one survived
-
Pine Box Pyrell
-
Jesus Ray don't you know even like one sentence of information about the Fight
-
Those are some crazy previous winner names. Can anybody tell me what a hot dog cheeser is?
-
The larger cat just wants the turkey.
part of the reason he wanted to be an army leader was so that he could eat the turkey and drink the brandy.
he is just justifying, you know.
he doesn't care if he knows one sentence of information. it is in his blood to be a greedy bastard who takes all the turkey.
-
I think you're all ignoring the best champion name, which is, of course, RUFUS. Want to bet that it was an acronym? For... I don't know, Ruler Uf fuck*ng Up Shit? (sic)
-
I think you're all ignoring the best champion name, which is, of course, RUFUS. Want to bet that it was an acronym? For... I don't know, Ruler Uf fuck*ng Up Shit? (sic)
Oh mang you just turned into LAZARUS
-
Awwwww Shit! (http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=03012006)
And how can this be?
Because he IS the Quisatz Haderach!
oh dear lord i am a dork
-
No receipt on file, no loyalty no style.
-
Did anyone else's heart break just a little for Beef here? Just me? Okay then.
I don't think Ray even realizes what he's got in a friend like Beef, I don't know if he ever has. If I am assuming things correctly and Beef is remembering this post Ray conversing then it's good to see him be human (feline) again for a bit, instead of STOOOONE COLD Rorschach.
I suspect a hot dog cheeser is one of those cheese filled hot dogs you can basically get at the store on the cheap.
-
Ray looks kinda like Yogi Bear in panel five. Amusing, since he's about to snag a picanic basket sized for 1500 cats at least.
-
I liked the Tactical Map in Panel 11. Direct route to the NE corner.
-
My question is, is Ray's smartassed remark to Beef, who has kept Ray alive over the first day, part of Ray's transformation into cold blooded killer or just Ray's attempt to keep up his hardass image? You'd think that he wouldn't have to talk like that when it's just he and Beef, especially after he freaked out about going on a fugue after he ripped Travis' jaw off.
(I still think Beef comes through in the end and wins. It's time Beef had some glory for himself. He has been planning for this since he was 13 or whatever.)
-
"Damn, Cornelius, you know when people bring their own drinks, it makes me get my sad on."
But what about the side dishes?
-
Dammit people you're missing the most imporant part: we never found out about the side dishes. Based on the last panel it looks like it might be counter service but no details are given about the side dishes. I hope this is covered tomorrow.
-
I love how he rap-talks, Dolemite style.
-
Now see, Ray saying, "Ain't no dude gonna lay down on day three just 'cause I gave him a drumstick," highlights one of the biggest problems with having an "army" in the GOF. There is one individual winner, people. That means that SoRod will basically have to cold betray each and every one of his men on Day 3--turkey or no turkey--and kick they asses old school, ya heard?
-
That means that SoRod will basically have to cold betray each and every one of his men on Day 3--turkey or no turkey--and kick they asses old school, ya heard?
I don't think that will be a problem C Money. His men know the rules, they've probably watched the fight in the past or have been in it, so they know what they were getting into by joining Ray and what will happen on day three as time runs down. The thing I'm worried about it not Ray having to betray his men, it's his men betraying him. I imagine this happening: Ray's army knows that Ray is hell of tough, that's why they joined him in the first place. So they will want to remove him from the equation as soon as possible by ganging up on him. This is the only smart move that his army can make if any of them want a chance at winning. Leaving Ray to live until the end for a mono a mono fight is foolish.
-
Check out panel 3 - since when does Ray talk to Beef like that?
Since he has been wearing the hat.
V, you are correct: RUFUS is by far the best name. But one has to wonder if Paul Judas was the winner's real name, or if the name was bestowed upon him by those he betrayed.
This is my Biblical Speculation for the Day.
-
The extra day's wait was worth it for the lovingly-rendered TDK cassette tapes. I will always wait patiently for a strip if it means we're rewarded with some straight up Illustrator ARTISTRY.
-
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but this latest strip totally supports my private theory that Beef is planning a palace coup on Day 3. Beef clearly knows and loves the 'fight, since small times. Similarly, he has been, so far, a master strategist. While certainly loyal to his friend Ray, he has also been known to sass backto Ray and even have moments of no respct for him. I tihnk this will all combine in a perfect storm on Day 3, when it becomes time for Beef to lay down for Ray. Instead, fed up with Ray's wishy-washyness or lack of respect for the fight or whatever, he will stand up to him and knock Ray straight into the dirt.
-
I disagree. I contend, that if push comes to shove, precedent indicates that Ray will lay down for Beef. The question is, will Beef want him to?
-
A good tactic would be for Roast Beef to spread a little rumour in the ranks that the 'Millwall football team think Leander's mosher lot are complete pussies, at least that's what Barry King told me while he was saying how great your mum was last night'. Before you know it, all thoughts of ganging up on Son of Rodney are GONE, to be replaced with lots of killing and stuff. Then Ray stands on the top of the pile of bodies.
Win!
-
Is no one else curious about So-Rod being summoned by the Fight staff? I sense impending meddling in the Fight. Someone doesn't like this BOC.
-
Wha...isn't it just for his feast?
-
I disagree. I contend, that if push comes to shove, precedent indicates that Ray will lay down for Beef. The question is, will Beef want him to?
Normally I'd agree but everybody knows Ray as Son of Rodney. So throwing the final with Beef would tarnish his dad's name. There's more to this than just the usual knuckleheads since small times.
-
Check out panel 3 - since when does Ray talk to Beef like that?
I thought it seemed rather natural for him. I can see him standing around the pool, or the bbq, and saying that to someone over his cell, after asking if they were coming for some brats and they failed to answer the question. I think the main difference right now is that he'd back it up with violence.
Yeah, and he's just being summoned for the feast - note he's being summoned to the snack tent, though that seems an understatement for a place where there'd be enough turkey for an army.
-
Wha...isn't it just for his feast?
It certainly could be. But given Beef's interaction with the hot dog slinger/covert operative in contact with "Tower One", I get the sensation that the Fight operators do more than just neutrally observe and facilitate.
But yeah, it could be that they're just summoning him to get his bird and brandy.
-
I don't think this is a moment of Beef feeling betrayed, but rather amazed and impressed. The point of the flashback (other than the Dagwood sandwich of wonderful side details) was that this was Rodney's exact thinking on the subject of the feast.
And don't sports announcers just suck? The incredibly old dude that does the radio for the University of Georgia football team is cool, and he's basically the only good one I've ever heard.
-
Very interesting segue from the flashback back to present day.
Inconsequential artistic choice or exposure of previously latent symbolism?
-
Very interesting segue from the flashback back to present day.
Inconsequential artistic choice or exposure of previously latent symbolism?
I agree both panels have an interesting similarity in that they're both somebody calling to someone else to come get their food, dammit. But I dunno if there's any real symbolism there.
-
Well, after lurking for some time, I'm finally brought to register by this:
I like the strip and all, but usn't this "the food is for the army" a complete retcon? '
Let's go to the tapes.
February 6: Roast Beef says "Two armies typically arise and their pawns are sent to the front. It's rumored that the army leaders only fight on days one and three and traditionally feast on turkeys and brandy on day two." Later in the same strip he gets to the "weakest lay waste to the weakest, and so on in kind."
The implication here is clearly that on Day 2 the army leaders sit around and feast while their army is off fighting on their behalf.
It also implies that, umm, Roast Beef doesn't clearly know what happens - it's only *rumored* that this is what happens. It seems unlikely he'd know any more details
February 24: [that is, er, last Friday]: Roast Beef says "Now that you've kicked the ass of the only other army leader it looks like you're dining alone tomorrow."
The sense here is clearly the same - Ray will be sitting around by himself eating turkey on Day 2.
I have to say that this is a grave miscarriage of continuity!</ridiculous pedantry>
The names of previous fight champions are indeed awesome, though. I'm a big fan of Lord Brannigan - do we think that he's an actual Lord, or that this is a nom de guerre?
I also feel that a) Ray's facial expression in Panel 5 shows clearly that his principal motive here is that he wants to eat the turkey; and b) Beef is clearly impressed that Ray has somehow stumbled onto his father's strategy.
-
Lighten up, Francis. The talking cats and the alive stuffed animals don't actually exist.
Also, welcome.
-
mann...
I just finished being in a play (it was a musical... Guys and Dolls) where I played Brannigan, the feisty irish policeman.
we had a giant cow as a prop. in the context of the play, it was supposed to be a fake cow. one of the characters is in a wierd 1950's dance group, and they have a fake cow as a prop.
the last night of the performance, the stage manager decided to get inside the cow, and make it move.
character: hey there, bessie *pats cow jokingly*
cow: *looks at him* MOOOOOOO
we all nearly pissed ourselves. it was amazing.
that, and:
proper line: oh no! brannigan!
line delivered: SHIT! It's brannigan!
I dont' know. we're highschoolers, and that was the night the principal was there, so... we thought it was pretty funny.
that, and when I forgot to say my line because I looked at a girl's... callypygian form, and then tried to cover it up.
I'm sorry, I'm still in that post-play time when I get all nostalgic at the drop of a hat.
-
Don't listen to AlohaDawg. Next he'll be trying to convince us that there's no Santa Claus. And that he doesn't bring tiny cans of Dr Pepper to all the good boys and girls.
-
Let me explain what's going on here. Some have postulated that since the leader usually chooses to feed his Turkey and Brandy feast to his Army it is in fact an army sized feast. It's not, it's enough to feed one. The giving of the feast to the army is a ceremonial gesture. The minions will still be fighting on day two while the leader rests. The bigger plot point that no one has commented on is that up til now, Beef has played Ray like a bass fiddle. But Ray's decision to take the feast is clearly not what Beef wants. Essentially, Beef has lost control of Ray. Also, Beef is shaken by the fact that Ray has instinctively chosen Fathers path. In the previous strip Beef tried to calm Ray because he is more useful as a pawn in Beef's game. Beef got Ray this far and now Ray's Blood has taken over. Now anything can happen and Beef is feeling vulnerable. This is excitement my dear TOUAMBies. Excitement.
~Paul
-
Ray will show Roast Beef what he is really made of. just because he never learned spanish doesn't mean he isn't good at the fight. he has a basic understanding of Cat nature which is essential, and which roast beef can never hope to achieve.
knowing psychology doesn't make you a good parent (or, person.)
knowing physics doesn't make you a good golfer.
knowing the great outdoor fight doesn't make you a good fighter.
-
Snack dispersal, commence:
Get-tcher fresh, hot Cheese Toasters! Buffalo Crispers! Hot Dog Cheesers! Get em' while they're action-descriptive!
-
This only just occured to me and I know it's probably too late to matter but Rodney Leonard Stubbs avoided all allegiances. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01272006)
So how do we work this in? Was he just awesome enough that he had kind of a fan base that he decided wasn't getting any turkey or what?
-
This only just occured to me and I know it's probably too late to matter but Rodney Leonard Stubbs avoided all allegiances. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01272006)
So how do we work this in? Was he just awesome enough that he had kind of a fan base that he decided wasn't getting any turkey or what?
Maybe he was just saying this as one of the reasons he had no allegiances. If you have an army they expect the food even if you give it to them it still won't matter come day 3.