The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Lister on March 04, 2006, 07:58:51 am
-
So my parents came out to visit me here in sunny San Diego, and we had the worst storm of the past 8 months.
Luckily, a San Diego "storm" accounts to a steady rainfall for most of the morning totalling an inch or so, so it was fine to go see the zoo. Our zoo has pandas! Including a baby!
Here is the mother and a muddy baby. (http://www.intemporality.com/images/zoo/pandas01.jpg)
Right in the eye! (http://www.intemporality.com/images/zoo/pandas02.jpg)
Climbing. (http://www.intemporality.com/images/zoo/pandas02.jpg)
Relaxing before climbing higher. (http://www.intemporality.com/images/zoo/pandas04.jpg)
Mom was tired already. (http://www.intemporality.com/images/zoo/pandas05.jpg)
The cub is that dark splotch near the top. (http://www.intemporality.com/images/zoo/pandas06.jpg)
The father basically slept the whole time we were there. (http://www.intemporality.com/images/zoo/pandas07.jpg)
There were also flamingoes. (http://www.intemporality.com/images/zoo/flamingoes.jpg)
We saw other stuff, but I basically didn't think to take pictures.
-
Pandas! Fecking Commies, the lot of 'em. What we need is McCarthy etc.
On the subject of zoos, baby otters act a lot more like Phillipe than you may think. And Achewood may provide an answer to why the tigers always appear to be hungover.
-
Did that baby panda inspire insanely disperportionate amounts of media coverage, a naming poll, and advanced visits for VIPs like the one in DC did?
-
Did that baby panda inspire insanely disperportionate amounts of media coverage, a naming poll, and advanced visits for VIPs like the one in DC did?
Hey, that rings a bell. What the hell was that all about, anyway?
See also: That daft whale that swam up the Thames, distracting hundreds of screaming Londoner's from anything worthwhile, prompting newspapers around Britain to make it front page news and blessing it with the imaginative moniker 'Whaley'. Nevermind the fact it most likely went into London to die.
-
Did that baby panda inspire insanely disperportionate amounts of media coverage, a naming poll, and advanced visits for VIPs like the one in DC did?
No comment, no comment, no fuck*ng comment. No one has a poll to name the baby snakes. Sheesh.
-
Great pictures. Are you feeling the validation... And Wombat, I promised him ooh and aahs out of you.
~Paul
-
OOOOOO AAAHHHH fuck*ng PANDAS!
Aw fuck they really are cute. But next time can you photograph the tamanduas if they still have them?
-
No comment, no comment, no fuck*ng comment. No one has a poll to name the baby snakes. Sheesh.
I believe there was a poll for a monkey at the Baltimore zoo, does that count?
-
Probably one of the chimp babies. Therefore, no. The chimps are basically the panda-equivalent at Baltimore. Don't get me started on the chimp babies, either.
-
Are you concerned with the discrimination against non-cuddly zoo animals?
-
Did that baby panda inspire insanely disperportionate amounts of media coverage, a naming poll, and advanced visits for VIPs like the one in DC did?
Nope. They've had baby pandas here before.
But next time can you photograph the tamanduas if they still have them?
I'll see what I can do.
-
Nope. They've had baby pandas here before.
Heh, San Diego Panda Baby One-Upmanship.
Are you concerned with the discrimination against non-cuddly zoo animals?
Some animals are more equal than others. Some animals got 24 hour care while I had to try to keep old filters running with rubber bands, prayer to the water gods and used bubble gum.... Well, no one ever said life was fair.
-
That's sad, wombat, but somehow I just can't take it out on the baby panda.
I mean, look at 'im. Awwwww.
(Note: I would have the same reaction to a baby frog, whether we're counting "baby frog" as a tadpole or as the wee froglets you get right at the end of metamorphosis.)
-
That's it... the gauntlet has been thrown.
Next weekend I will venture out to find my Zeppelins and waterbats and thereupon shall lay into ye with such force as to lock down all adorability forthwith!
Or something.
(Also, nice snaps.)
-
I gotcher pandas right here. (http://www.bigfool.com/foolblog/archive/2005_12.htm#000608)
-
Pan-da, pan-da, pan-da, pan-da, pan- PAN-DA (http://www.last.fm/music/Deerhoof/_/Panda+Panda+Panda).