The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on September 08, 2003, 02:57:56 pm
-
My boyfriend and I were driving out to his folk's place out in the country and we cold only get AM stations - there was this great old time-y rock tune with the line "here comes my baby, flashing her brand new gold tooth" or something like that as part of the chorus - anyone know who sings this?
-
Ask, and Google shall give.
http://www.nederpoparchief.nl/bluesbrothers/flip_briefcase.html
-
I have that CD!
-
That was the Blues Brothers!!!? It sounded like a really old man singing though! The lyrics are definitly right though.
-
It might not have been the Blues Brothers, though. There are 18 versions of it it catalogued (and I think that number is low - this is kind of a "standard" blues/rock song of the era).
It was recorded by "Big" Joe Turner in 1955 ( a year or two after his "Shake, Rattle and Roll") Big Joe was sort of an innovator of the half-shouted style of blues singing. He toured with Count Basie after being discovered in a club in Kansas City where he worked behind the bar and sometimes sang to the Pianists accompaniment.
Bill Haley and His Comets cut a version in 1961; Johnny Bell did one in 1959. Jerry Lee Lewis also recorded it. I think you probably heard the Bill Haley or Jerry Lee Lewis version.