The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: miles on March 07, 2006, 02:30:30 am
-
RIP Kirby (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060306&content_id=1337465&vkey=pr_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min).
He was a favorite of mine as a young fan.
-
I totally expected this to be an article about the little round pink guy. I know nothing of baseball but this guy sounds like a good fellow and it is a shame when good fellows depart this mortal coil, so now I'm kind of bummed out of someone I never heard of.
-
RIP Kirby (http://www.newgrounds.com/icon/16000/portal_16761.gif).
Cause of death (http://www.absoluteanime.com/kirby/bomb_kirby.jpg).
-
I totally expected this to be an article about the little round pink guy.
Totally. I had no idea there was any other user of that name. Did this guy have really powerful lungs or anything?
-
=(
-
Wow, that's really sad. As a Cardinal fan I was forced to dislike him when the Twins beat the Cards in the 1987 world series. But he always seemed like a really good-hearted guy, despite it all.
Also, he was very young, only 5 years older than me. That sucks. The article said he had glaucoma, which is high pressure in the eyes (if I understand correctly). He died of a stroke, so I wonder if there is some relation.
-
I totally expected this to be an article about the little round pink guy. I know nothing of baseball but this guy sounds like a good fellow and it is a shame when good fellows depart this mortal coil, so now I'm kind of bummed out of someone I never heard of.
I initially wondered if Jack Kirby had somehow come back to life and then died again.
-
She did warn him. (http://www.toonopedia.com/ripkirby.htm)
Now let's stop making fun of a decent guy's death.
-
I initially wondered if Jack Kirby had somehow come back to life and then died again.
Yeah, me too. I was all like RIP Kirby? I thought he was already dead.
Oh yeah, too bad about the other Kirby.
~Paul
-
Wow, that's really sad. As a Cardinal fan I was forced to dislike him when the Twins beat the Cards in the 1987 world series. But he always seemed like a really good-hearted guy, despite it all.
Also, he was very young, only 5 years older than me. That sucks. The article said he had glaucoma, which is high pressure in the eyes (if I understand correctly). He died of a stroke, so I wonder if there is some relation.
I would imagine there is high likelihood of a common underlying cause, the two that come to mind immediately are diabetes and hypertension, both of which can cause the kind of microvascular damage that can lead to eye problems like glaucoma, and also contribute to risk for major cardiovascular events. KB did tend to carry a little extra weight around, and as a black man probably had extra risks for diabetes and hypertension. All speculation, though. It's weird to see a relatively young fomer professional athlete have a stroke.
-
It's weird to see a relatively young fomer professional athlete have a stroke.
JR Richard had a stroke at the height of his career.
Pro atheletes dying young is probably going to become a common occurance due to the widespread use of steroids.
~Paul
-
Lyle Alzado's brain cancer was most likely linked to his steroid use. I think you're probably right about Athletes having early, bad health outcomes from steroids.
But Kirby? I won't believe he ever used steroids. He loved the game too much.
-
But Kirby? I won't believe he ever used steroids. He loved the game too much.
Not to mention he was a bit too.. rotund to be a steroid user.
Good eulogies: Ball-Wonk (http://www.ball-wonk.com/archives/000600.html), Jackalope (http://jackalope_ranch.blogspot.com/2006/03/and-well-see-you.html), and BatGirl (http://www.bat-girl.com/archives/001391.php).