The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Jeepers on March 07, 2006, 05:23:45 am
-
Today, he makes us sad. (http://www.achewood.com/)
My hopes are shattered.
(hopefulness)Unless this is some kinda ruse on the part of these two clowns. (/hopefulness)
EDIT: link fixed, as subtly suggested.
-
GODAMNIT! LINK!
I had to press Alt+T for a new tab and then scroll through recently viewed pages beginning with 'A' to view the comic! And believe me, there are a lot! You're making me work here!
Poor Beef.
-
Damn you 'Stad. Damn you to hell and back.
Although the emphasis on "and thank YOU, flavorless overcooked turkey" did make me chuckle. Oh Ray, even when being a completely homicidal psychotic fuck, you still have some taste. Awww.. bless.
-
Noooooo! Noooooooooooooooo!
The thumbs-up made me laugh pretty hard, though.
-
If Beef ain't gonna win this fight, then Ray best start tearing bodies apart left and right.
-
Noooooo! Noooooooooooooooo!
The thumbs-up made me laugh pretty hard, though.
God damn you. this was to be my exact post down to the number of "o"s.
-
Okay, I had to register just to throw out my theory...
Aint no way in hells that Beef got thrown out and Onstad didn't show it. That is way too good of a dramatic moment to not draw.
So my thoughts:
1. Beef knows Ray fugues
2. Beef has been helping/using Ray to beat the crap out of people
3. When Ray fugues he gets really good at accomplishing said task
4. Beef getting taken out = Ray Fuguein' time
Therefore: Beef is playin' Ray. Playin' him like a goddamn banjo.
Plus, the two dudes are totally way too relaxed. They are all "Oh, our BOC leader just slept all day and the dude who was actually runnin' things got taken out. I guess I'll just hang around next to this tampon-dildo lookin' thing."
No, seriously. What is that?
-
First panel is pure art. Notice the fat cat on the far right, apparently struck by the barbarity of the procedings such that he can do little more than fall upon his knees and wail about his part in this.
I'm going to say that Beef has set up old Ray, but he's really out. He knows that nothing would light a fire under Ray's ass to win the GOF like his tightest dogg since old times taking a beating from a bunch of guys who follow around the kind of dude that makes country music CDs for K-Mart people.
-
No, seriously. What is that?
You mean Beef's glasses?
-
You mean Beef's glasses?
*rechecks and squints*
Yes... That would be Beef's glasses... and not what my gutter-mind came up with.
Well that makes a helluva lot more sense. I thought it was some sort of sign from the Cody Travis dudes. You know, an expression of masculinity to mark their group?
-
God damn you. this was to be my exact post down to the number of "o"s.
Great minds think alike (and so do ours).
-
I also say setup. I bet there aren't 50 blokes left. Cody didn't need anyone to tell him there was another general. But there's bound to be a few badass dudes left. I say Ray gets 'em.
-
Ah. Just when you think he couldn't come up with something brilliant, he does. He DOES dammit!
Of course, this just fits.
Beef must die. It's what he does. Beef is like Kenny, he gets killed. I think he knew it all along.
Ray didn't. He's like us, he never remembers or adds 2 and 2. Oh Chris. Oh Chris. You've been saving this for us, haven't you, you beautiful scheming fuck*ng genius!?
Poor Beef. How close are we to #9? I bet he expected it all along. Beef, you are rad.
Beef's death will drive Ray over the top. He will kick ass in an astounding way, just wait and see. And Beef will be back to support him, for at least a few more times. Roast Beef. Roast Beef. This world was never made for one as beautiful as you.
-
Not on the sofa, August.
-
Maybe all that studying Beef had been doing was just so he could see the Tenmen at their most exclusive venue.
Having accomplished his mission, he can now let Ray go totally sickhouse on their asses. Ray will likely claw someone's whole body off.
GOF: all about retaliation.
-
I wouldn't be totally sure it's a set up, those two idiots would stand around chin wagging and blogging in the middle of a nuclear testing zone. Plus Roast Beef is real good at getting hurt and it removes the need for them to have a confrontation. So i think he is out for realz but it was part of the plan.
Also, given that it's a set up, what did Cody Travis and his group ever do to Beef that he would put them in the line of such fugueing?
Also props for the thread title, for a good strip it didn't have any stand out lines but this was a good choice.
-
My first post here, but two predictions:
1)Those two Limies are horrid liars. Beef is still around.
2) One of them has a limp? This is a reference to a character we have met before...I'm picking No-No. He has neck breaking skills, and Beef would like him gone, I'm sure. I'm going to be STOKED when No-No graces the next strip.
-
Oh. Now it makes sense: there's no way that Roast Beef hasn't been studying strategy and patterns and paths and past interviews to just get taken out off camera. HE WANTS THE WIN FOR HIMSELF. He's going to get Ray to go all crazy fugue and then step in at the last moment. ROAST BEEF IS TEH TRUE MACHIAVEL. OMG!! etc etc.
-
wow.
the cat will destroy.
destroy.
-
Poor Beef. How close are we to #9? I bet he expected it all along. Beef, you are rad.
For the record, if he did die, when he returned he would be on his 5th life according to the calculations I've done with a huge SCIENCE machine that goes PING.
You may return to your zeal.
-
the limp is the dude beef ran over?
-
the limp is the dude beef ran over?
Wow. Good thought.
I hope Beef's not out of the fight. Too soon. And the final confrontation between Beef and Ray was going to be an important one.
Hey, what if Ray's original squad were secretly Beef loyalists? What then, huh?
-
On a second look, I thought the fellow on theleft in panel one was being bludgeoned with a severed arm, but on a third look I see that he is not.
Also, there is no doubt that Beef is still cold pulling the strings. He's most likely off playing the remaining armies off one another while he goads Ray into single-handedly taking down the Honky Tonk Army.
-
I'd be extremely surprised if Beef is actually out; I, too, will jump on the
conspiracy theory that it's all a plot to get Ray into the Death Fugue.
I, too, love the obese cat on the far right of the first panel, yelling NOOOOOOO into the heavens. Anguish! Pathos!
-
How do you know he's yelling "nooooooo"? He could just be expressing his love for pancakes with syrup, or perhaps singing opera or something.
I think that is a perfect plot twist, and for the record, I do believe that Beef is actually out.
-
Those two Limies
Limey.
(http://images.contactmusic.com/images/reviews/limey.jpg)
-
Not on the sofa, August.
Yes on the sofa, August.
I have nothing to add except... the GOF would sure be a more interesting way than most to reduce the cat overpopulation problem.
-
They'd got it in their heads that Beef set Cody up to fight Ray. I wonder where this idea came from. Oh, wait, maybe because it's the truth. Beef has been studying on The Spanish Prisoner and other fine examples of manipulation.
-
Great Strip. I'll echo that Beef ain't gone, this is more Ray manipulation. Where is Leander and his troops? They wouldn't let Beef fall to Cody Travis's honkytonk blowjob stormtroopers. Oh yeah, Beef is gonna Fugue like a mother fucker.
~Paul
-
Summarizing the possibilities:
I. Wank and Wanker thought up this plan to pretend Beef is dead, and tell Ray.
Unlikely. Beef would have to be in on it to give up his goggles, which may or may not have Properties.
II. Beef is just dead.
Possible. He has been preparing for this since his tiny baby limbs could form fists, but Achewood is not with its sense of the tragic. Sometimes you ought to win, and you just lose. Also something about Vlad's "Oh, man. Is so cool" seems to be mocking fannish rooting for either ray or beef. Sometimes you want someone to win very much, and they just lose.
III. Beef told Wank and Wanker to tell Ray this.
Possible, but an uncertain plan. You just know that Barry McBlog is going to be cor blimey but a little bird told me all over the internet in two seconds if you trust him with a secret.
IV. Beef faked his own death, letting nary a soul in on his intentions, assuming the identity of "Nobody Said It Could Be" Donovan Farley, who wears aviator glasses not goggles, (got to use the Clark Kent principle here, that the eyewear makes a man) and who once made a man tear his own tongue out, for he had done him wrong. Big D goes on to win the fight, and Ray has his own moment of "X == Y!?", except he is a bad programmer, so he probably uses single-equals or dollar-sign or some kettle-cooked potato chips or something.
Basically a sure thing.
-
I know there are a lot of people registering during GOF, and this is the strip that finally did it for me. NO! Beef! I guess after this Ray's really gonna pull it off, but I'm seriously bummed. I did not see that coming....and I was really hoping Beef was gonna win.
-
I think you're viewing this the wrong way. Think historically. Historically, Onstad likes to kill Roast Beef. What will happen is a strip or two of Ray rampaging through the enemy lines, kicking some ass (perhaps the alt text will say something pithy like "suggested accompaniement: Rammstein's Du Hast") and win the fight, yay whatever.
Then we cut to Beef in heaven where the real story is. Maybe Beef meets a new woman. Maybe it's a lead in to the story of Molly Sanders, which by all means is probably going to be interesting.
Maybe a pity strip or two to Ray to show how, as winner of the GOF, he gets a ceremonial box of dang nachos. Which somebody stole! Somebody ... stole... his dang ... nachoooooooooos!
The last thing that would make this a good strip or a good work of art is stretching it out over 20 strips. Even in written format, most people can't abide a twenty or thirty strip arc of fighting. People, this isn't Ache Ball Z.
-
And so we enter...
The Fugue Of Hissing Ray
-
Maybe a pity strip or two to Ray to show how, as winner of the GOF, he gets a ceremonial box of dang nachos. Which somebody stole! Somebody ... stole... his dang ... nachoooooooooos!
Bobby, if anyone ever asks, I never said this; even though there is now going to be a public record of it, but you're a damned genius.
*throws you a nickel*
Here ya go kid, buy yourself a licorice whip.
-
licorice whip.
Frickin' ear worm! I'll be singing all day now you bastard.
-
Frickin' ear worm! I'll be singing all day now you bastard.
You're Welcome
-
Ache Ball Z. Now that's funny.
-
I guess I'm unique in thinking this wasn't a top class strip, but damn was I surprised there. Not much I can add that hasn't been said theory-wise, but it's a sure bet those cockney bastards are up to something.
-
Everyone keeps saying Beef is dead, and there's been an overall thought pattern in recent days that Ray has to kill everyone at the GOF. I by no means believe the GOF is a battle to the death. One must merely win a fight, which usually just means beating your foe into submission. Yeah, getting killed may be a by-product of that, but it's by no means guaranteed. Where's all this "Ray has to kill 2,998 dudes" vibe coming from?
Put me in with those who think this is set up by Beef. He wants Ray to go off and kick some crowd ass.
-
Everyone keeps saying Beef is dead, and there's been an overall thought pattern in recent days that Ray has to kill everyone at the GOF. I by no means believe the GOF is a battle to the death. One must merely win a fight, which usually just means beating your foe into submission. Yeah, getting killed may be a by-product of that, but it's by no means guaranteed. Where's all this "Ray has to kill 2,998 dudes" vibe coming from?
Put me in with those who think this is set up by Beef. He wants Ray to go off and kick some crowd ass.
Onstad likes to kill Beef. End of story.
-
Point taken.
-
Beef is faking. Obviously. I hope. It'd be really lame if we didn't see Beef actually getting out. He's hiding out so Ray will take out everyone else, and just when Ray thinks he's the winner, who shows up, but BEEF! Like in all those fighting games after you think you've beat the final boss, but NO, here comes some final demon asshole. Ray and Beef are gonna have to decide how much of a dogg they are to each other.
-
Considering the revolving-door afterlife in Achewood Beef would be better off dying rather than being beaten severely. After a beating he'd be in pain and need physical therapy and shit. If he dies he gets to skip all that and order in some tasty chinese food and read Nate Small then return in an intact body.
-
Considering the revolving-door afterlife in Achewood Beef would be better off dying rather than being beaten severely. After a beating he'd be in pain and need physical therapy and shit. If he dies he gets to skip all that and order in some tasty chinese food and read Nate Small then return in an intact body.
Maybe Onstad will remember that Beef is essentially bionic
-
I was a Safeway employee briefly, then they fired me, but it was a crappy job, so I'm glad to see Onstad call their product bad.
-
RAY SMUCKLES IN UNFORGIVEN
"You'd better bury Roast Beef right."
-
I'm a bit late in on this, but I've been keeping up with the strip...
I was a bit shocked that Beef was out, but then I thought it was exactly like Onstad to play that card.. especially with all the talk building up about them being the last two in the fight.
Also, I am not sure I believe he is "dead" if he really is out.
This storyline is intense regardless... can't wait to see what it evolves into...
-
i just assumed that cat getting flattened in panel one was Beef. I am ashamed of my poor faith in the dude of dudes.