The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2006, 10:32:10 pm

Title: Japanese Suicide Pacts
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2006, 10:32:10 pm
Is there anything the internet can't do? (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060310/ap_on_re_as/japan_group_suicide)

~Paul
Title: Re: Japanese Suicide Pacts
Post by: misterqueue on March 10, 2006, 10:44:00 pm
Reminds me of this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312843/), though this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/) was a better movie.


Man, what is it with the Japanese obsession with Suicide?  Is it come sort of cultural hand-me-down from the honor above all else/harakiri days or what?  I do not get it.  Maybe it's something to do with the whole everyone is another cog in the machine style of life or the fact that in a constantly crowded area it's easy to feel alone?  I do not know as I do not have enough experience in this area; but it is fascinating/confounding.
Title: Re: Japanese Suicide Pacts
Post by: Doc on March 10, 2006, 11:50:58 pm
Sucide: Bringing people together?
Title: Re: Japanese Suicide Pacts
Post by: V-Adore on March 11, 2006, 02:01:47 am
Man, what is it with the Japanese obsession with Suicide?  Is it come sort of cultural hand-me-down from the honor above all else/harakiri days or what?  I do not get it.  Maybe it's something to do with the whole everyone is another cog in the machine style of life or the fact that in a constantly crowded area it's easy to feel alone?  I do not know as I do not have enough experience in this area; but it is fascinating/confounding.

The Japanese suicide thing is sort of convoluted, and I won't claim to understand it entirely myself, but I think it's a combination of factors. As far as I can tell, it's just an ingrained cultural difference tracing back to the feudal period -- the cultural idea (I will resist use of the word "meme" here) that suicide was a choice that a reasonable person could make under extreme circumstances and not be faulted for, as opposed to the Western idea that suicide was sinful and a sign of evil influence or insanity. This means that now, while the average person in Japan isn't exactly in favor of suicide, the Western cultural taboos aren't in place. The reason it's sort of reflared as a problem lately is really due to the recession and resulting economic restructuring of Japan, which has tended to leave a lot of poor and/or despondent middle-aged men in its wake. (The site also mentions, pretty appropriately, the issue of changing family dynamics in Japan and the shift away from the multigenerational family arrangement -- which, tragically, has led to an increase in suicide among elderly people, particularly men.)
Title: Re: Japanese Suicide Pacts
Post by: miles on March 11, 2006, 03:59:37 am
Education.
Title: Re: Japanese Suicide Pacts
Post by: Hobot on March 11, 2006, 07:15:00 am
Education.


Depressing.
Title: Re: Japanese Suicide Pacts
Post by: V-Adore on March 11, 2006, 08:58:46 pm

Depressing.

You can't imagine how depressing the Japanese-cultural-education elements of Japanese 401/402 have been. We have learned exciting new vocabulary words like "suicide," "sniffing glue," and "violence" (both in the context of domestic violence and in the context of violence in schools).
Title: Re: Japanese Suicide Pacts
Post by: Nabubrush on March 11, 2006, 09:46:18 pm
Tangentially connected: I just recently read about the origin of "Divine Wind" (http://www.bellum.nu/basics/concepts/kamikaze.html) and found it interesting.

Of course Suicide (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:jiftxqr5ldae) is big in Japan.