The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: harold on March 15, 2006, 09:38:32 pm

Title: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: harold on March 15, 2006, 09:38:32 pm
How can he make us wait ANOTHER day....?
Title: 03-15-06 Oh my God! Awesome! Awesome! Absolutely no way!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 15, 2006, 09:41:53 pm
And there you have it. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03152006)

See?  They're not all dead.  SEE?

Well played, Onstad, keep us hanging for another day.
Title: 03-15-06 Oh my God! Awesome! Awesome! Absolutely no way!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 09:41:55 pm
Seriously, Ted!  How come you stuff your #####? (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03152006)

A lot of Explanations, but no news from the two remaining inside the acres.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: IF YOU NOTICE THAT THE SITE IS DOWN STOP HITTING REFRESH GO
Post by: V-Adore on March 15, 2006, 09:42:07 pm
Slight hint to Onstad, if you're lurking: if you advertise that an update to the best arc yet of your wildly successful webcomic is updating at a certain time, don't be surprised if you get server-hammered at about this time. And don't bitch at us for the temerity of wanting to read your comic. Sheesh.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: IF YOU NOTICE THAT THE SITE IS DOWN STOP HITTING REFRESH GO OUTS
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 15, 2006, 09:44:02 pm
Oh snap.  I thought the thread subject was harold telling us not to refresh the site.  Apologies.
Title: Re: 03-15-06 Oh my God! Awesome! Awesome! Absolutely no way!
Post by: V-Adore on March 15, 2006, 09:44:23 pm
Dear Message-Board:

Today I learned how to use Merge!

Your Pal, V

Anyway, great strip. Good to see that all our favorite Fight nerds lived through this, although this does destroy the chance of a come-from-nowhere victory by Leander.

Also: "I hate dees train."
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: AugustWest on March 15, 2006, 09:45:04 pm
Synchronicity!
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 09:46:51 pm
An unprecedented 4 thread starters for todays strip.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: sensate on March 15, 2006, 09:49:57 pm
Cornelius with his "RAY" pennant is a very touching thing. I wasn't aware he cared.

The English blokes are kind of wearing, though.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: CortJstr on March 15, 2006, 09:50:10 pm
Not just a regular beating, but a Full Service Beating. And in these pictures it looks more like a chain link fence.

I can't believe that Mr. Bear actually had a RAY pennant made up. Mr. Bear rules. Hear that, Lie Bot fans? Mr. Bear rules.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: V-Adore on March 15, 2006, 09:56:17 pm
Mr. Bear rules. Hear that, Lie Bot fans? Mr. Bear rules.

C'mon, Cort, can't we all just get along? Why must there always be such strife?

C. Bear Fans and Lie Bot Fans
Living in perfect harmony
Side by side on the 'wood message board
Oh Lord, why can't we?


needs more Lyle
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Emergent_C on March 15, 2006, 10:05:16 pm
Unlike Mr. Bear, I, for one, would cherish a Roast Beef penant. Only it would be a lovingly rendered picture of the food, and thus metaphorical.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Hobot on March 15, 2006, 10:06:19 pm
Sub-Saharan comb-over.


It took me a minute, but the ensuing hilarity was worth the wait.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: R-Machine on March 15, 2006, 10:08:14 pm
Uh, wow, is it just me or is the Achewood site totally down now? The frontpage leads me to opusinteractive.com and the archive links 404. Fancy me missing out on this apparently awesome comic, unless you're all just making up the awesomest things you can think of an adding it to the thread in a giant, baroque web of deceit. Liars!
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: robot_god on March 15, 2006, 10:10:00 pm
Ray must have left his pennant at the house after the potato sack race at a Fourth of July party.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Bozack on March 15, 2006, 10:10:21 pm
Can we just say that Leander is amazing?
I have more than once tried to have neck veins like Henry Rollins (http://www.pancakemountain.com/rufus05.html).
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: IF YOU NOTICE THAT THE SITE IS DOWN STOP HITTING REFRESH GO OUTS
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 10:10:45 pm
Oh snap.  I thought the thread subject was harold telling us not to refresh the site.  Apologies.

harold registered for the sole purpose of being the first post and you ruined it for him.  Way to go Mr. Mayor.

BTW, do nOObs start out with negative cans now.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: starlight on March 15, 2006, 10:14:19 pm
It took awhile to get the page to load, but it finally did!

I like the two cranes just waitin' to pull one of them out... woo!

Also, like the beads of sweat dripping off Teodor.  he's so into it... the anticipation...
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: wombat on March 15, 2006, 10:15:04 pm
The site is totally broken for me too.  My punishment for not staying at work late and constantly refreshing till I saw today's strip, I guess.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: spinn on March 15, 2006, 10:16:04 pm
Hello, Opus Interactive! How are you today?

Boy, some sysadmin's probably pissed right now.

Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 10:17:43 pm
I wonder if this site is in danger of going down?  Most online:  179 - Today at 05:16:34 PM

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 10:32:39 pm
Most Online: 240 - Today at 05:29:46 PM

240 people online and no one is posting.  Strange.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: nuero on March 15, 2006, 10:36:27 pm
http://img469.imageshack.us/my.php?image=comic6pe.gif

hey guys what's up
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 10:38:23 pm
http://img469.imageshack.us/my.php?image=comic6pe.gif

hey guys what's up

Thanks.  nuero the hero.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Doc on March 15, 2006, 10:44:51 pm
I know we're not really meant to talk about this kind of thing, but Hell of Cans for neuro.

Seriously I was jonesing for this strip so badly last night and then I get up this morning and the site isn't there?
I wonder if it's a server error or just proof that this is Onstad's most popular storyline ever.

As for the strip I enjoyed this one slightly more than the last despite lack of Developments. It's just nice to see they're all doing ok, actually isn't there one missing?
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: colmore on March 15, 2006, 10:52:04 pm
"Ted had been ordered to guard the southern perimeter of our camp, but was finished in by a charming bloke who noted that the calluses on Ted's knuckles implied prior employment as a carpet fitter or floorer, and made pleasant trade talk before dishing up a full-service beating."

Beef!?

Also, "tyre"

Oh and does anyone have the alt-text for those of us latecomers seeing the comic on Imageshack?
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: nuero on March 15, 2006, 10:53:21 pm
the alt-text is "IF YOU NOTICE THE SITE IS DOWN STOP HITTING REFRESH GO OUTSIDE"
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: CortJstr on March 15, 2006, 10:54:00 pm
Can we just say that Leander is amazing?
I have more than once tried to have neck veins like Henry Rollins (http://www.pancakemountain.com/rufus05.html).

I didn't know that people outside the DC area had heard of Pancake Mountain. But they lose points for spelling HFStival wrong.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Roger on March 15, 2006, 10:59:23 pm
the alt-text is "IF YOU NOTICE THE SITE IS DOWN STOP HITTING REFRESH GO OUTSIDE"

This alt-text sure is gonna look mysterious to the People of the Future when they're rummaging through the archives.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: nuero on March 15, 2006, 11:02:55 pm
And in these pictures it looks more like a chain link fence.

I dunno, the first panel where it makes the tower's beams and such lighter (in color) make it seem like it would be plastic or plexiglas or something like that to me.

You guys think the crane just drops guys outside or sets them down or what?
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 11:06:49 pm
The site is back up.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Drygioni on March 15, 2006, 11:07:41 pm
Fleet Street? Thomas The Tank Engine? It's like my childhood all over again.

This strip just seemed to fit the arc nicely and all. Breakup of drama and everything, for a few gasps and giggles.

And Nuero, you lit my evening up incandescently. Thanks!
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Immortal on March 15, 2006, 11:08:50 pm
new alt-text

"Something in Ted's past has made him need to stuff his trousers."
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: nuero on March 15, 2006, 11:10:20 pm
Thanks for your patience during the blackout! The Great Outdoor Fight fought our server, and won.

I liked the old alt-text.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 11:13:39 pm
The moral of the alt text... Never tell your entire fanbase to hit your site at exactly the same time.  Also, Onstad has enough fans to crash a server.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Drygioni on March 15, 2006, 11:20:44 pm
The moral of the alt text... Never tell your entire fanbase to hit your site at exactly the same time.  Also, Onstad has enough fans to crash a server.

~Paul

This has all led me to think exactly how popular Achewood is. I always assumed it was one of those smaller webcomics that payed for itself through a hugely dedicated, awesome fanbase, but the crashing of the always-dependant server must take a lot of clickin', even if it was a sort of scheduled refresh-a-thon.

Then again, maybe a vast swarm of proverbial Remora giraffe have attached themselves to the GOF, and when it goes, so will they.

Not that being unpopular matters. Words I live by, everyday.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 11:21:51 pm
Most Online: 277 - Today at 05:47:58 PM

Broke the previous record by 160, more than double. I reckon most of those were just people desperately searching for the strip.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 11:27:35 pm
Questions:  Who are the three shadows in the control booth?  Where are the spectators?

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Drygioni on March 15, 2006, 11:35:48 pm
Questions:  Who are the three shadows in the control booth?  Where are the spectators?

~Paul

I think it's fairly safe to say there are no spectators. Clues such as Roast Beef's 'without you I would never see the fight' and the fact everyone at Achewood Heights seems to find out everything by blogs seems to suggest no spectators allowed. Or maybe it's such an underground thing that nobody turns up? Mysterious.

As for the shadowy figures: Yossarian, Korn and Cathcart. (All right I guess that was lame). They could just be anonymous puppeteers for the mannequin fighters, but that doesn't seem like Achewood. There's gotta be a twist in there somewhere.




Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 11:39:35 pm
As for the shadowy figures: Yossarian, Korn and Cathcart. (All right I guess that was lame). They could just be anonymous puppeteers for the mannequin fighters, but that doesn't seem like Achewood. There's gotta be a twist in there somewhere.

I figured them to be announcers, but who are they?  Are they characters we will meet or have met already?

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: misterqueue on March 15, 2006, 11:51:15 pm
I gotta say... I liked Leander a whole lot more before he spoke.  That is all.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Hobot on March 16, 2006, 12:50:31 am
You guys think the crane just drops guys outside or sets them down or what?

We don't coddle losers 'round these parts.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: sammythemc on March 16, 2006, 01:02:41 am
I think it's fairly safe to say there are no spectators. Clues such as Roast Beef's 'without you I would never see the fight' and the fact everyone at Achewood Heights seems to find out everything by blogs seems to suggest no spectators allowed. Or maybe it's such an underground thing that nobody turns up? Mysterious.

I doubt that no one would show up; it seems pretty popular among the characters we're familiar with.

As the proud owner of a Blackberry, I can tell you that "clik clik clik tap" is what writing a blog post on one would sound like.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: LCB on March 16, 2006, 01:56:08 am
Perhaps the controllers have some secret, sinister purpose they are fulfilling with the GOF and Pater Smuckles is here to reveal it to Beef and Ray and when they find out they've been used they'll rush up to the tower, taking out guards and henchmen untill they get to the top.

Or maybe it's all a dream.

Or maybe it will end with "Suddenly. everyone was run over by trucks".

Or I dunno. Any speculation here is going out on a limb.

At least we know where THE LATINO HEALTH CRISIS  is.

Sorry, something about that name demands more than a simple font and plain black. I should be able to push a button and make the image of a tapesty appear, a tapestry that depicts the LHC in all his glory and has his name spelled out in golden thread.

Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Simms on March 16, 2006, 01:57:27 am
Honestly, the left most person in the control booth has an outline like Chucklebot's. Which would in a way make sense...what with the 3,000 men and all.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: V-Adore on March 16, 2006, 01:58:19 am
Or maybe it will end with "Suddenly. everyone was run over by trucks".

Best. Ending. Ever.

Better yet -- easy to do in Illustrator! Do it in one panel, white text on black: "And then everyone was run over by a truck. FIN" Post it on time, don't worry about the server getting slammed, no "NEW STRIP TUESDAY" -- easy! Clean!

Also, you could make a bitchin' T-shirt out of it.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: theinevitable on March 16, 2006, 03:18:37 am
oh my god this day is intense.
intense like no other day.

wait wait wait
there are 504 registered users.
270 were online at once.

that means more than half of all users were on at once.

except, including guests. so I guess not.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: CortJstr on March 16, 2006, 03:33:24 am
oh my god this day is intense.
intense like no other day.

wait wait wait
there are 504 registered users.
270 were online at once.

that means more than half of all users were on at once.

except, including guests. so I guess not.

When Paul was posting those updates he was included guests. The most registered users I saw was in the 30–40 range. But there were like 250 guests at the same time.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: robot_god on March 16, 2006, 06:44:48 am
Yeah, I am seriously appeased that The Latino Health Crisis reappeared, and even better yet, spoke.  Personally, I would unable to resist making him a recurring character.  Also, I agree that Leander should not have spoke, but I will simply erase that from my memory.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: sensate on March 16, 2006, 03:20:45 pm
I know I'm getting all nitpicky, but Mr. Bear's right ear appears to be transparent.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Doc on March 16, 2006, 03:59:47 pm
This is still cool, just wanted to reflect again before this fine day ends.
The GOF was so awesome it crashed the Achewood server.
No one said it could be done....
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: CortJstr on March 16, 2006, 04:12:15 pm
Just for the sake of posterity

Quote from: Achewood.com
We’re rebuilding our PHP engine after yesterday’s crankcase fire. See you at...an unspecified time Thursday night
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: jough on March 16, 2006, 04:22:04 pm
See that?  The n00bs' incessant refreshing caused the server to CATCH FIRE. 

Plus made Baby Jesus cry.

And clubbed a baby seal.

And knocked the scoop of ice cream off of a little girl's cone.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Emergent_C on March 16, 2006, 04:38:01 pm
And shaved off Paul's mustache.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2006, 04:46:12 pm
And shaved off Paul's mustache.

Nooooooooo.......

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Hobot on March 16, 2006, 05:08:11 pm
And clubbed a baby seal.

Hilarious (http://www.stopthesealhunt.com/atf/cf/%7B1AE979E3-67B2-4AC0-A26D-17D11CF1EAB6%7D/S-04-10_clubbing_x.jpg)!
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: robot_god on March 16, 2006, 05:25:15 pm
If clubbing baby seals was an olympic event... ... ...I'd take home the gold.

--Jake The Snake Roberts
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 16, 2006, 05:55:16 pm
Hilarious (http://www.stopthesealhunt.com/atf/cf/%7B1AE979E3-67B2-4AC0-A26D-17D11CF1EAB6%7D/S-04-10_clubbing_x.jpg)!

I thought that activity was accomplished with a lead-filled snowshoe.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: misterqueue on March 16, 2006, 06:07:57 pm
I thought that activity was accomplished with a lead-filled snowshoe.

Only at St. Alfonso's Pancake Breakfast.

(Where I stole the margerine)
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: nuero on March 16, 2006, 06:47:35 pm
I know I'm getting all nitpicky, but Mr. Bear's right ear appears to be transparent.

Nah, look, that line might line up almost exactly right, but it's a little thinner and curves a bit at the right of it. It's just the upper-outer part of his ear.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: jough on March 16, 2006, 06:50:33 pm
I didn't really read this thread, but I like how Onstad addressed that the wall is indeed transparent (or semi-so) in the first panel.  That puts that one to bed.

Also: it puts the lotion on its skin.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: dejavroom on March 16, 2006, 06:56:07 pm
The quiet fellow in denim that cracked Barry's skull... was it Leander, then?
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2006, 09:34:48 pm
Barry Best didn't mention Roast Beef in his column...  Seems like he would mention the brains behind the blood.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: CortJstr on March 16, 2006, 09:39:24 pm
Barry Best didn't mention Roast Beef in his column...  Seems like he would mention the brains behind the blood.

~Paul

Maybe he still thinks Beef was eliminated and is in the medical tent or something.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 16, 2006, 09:49:02 pm
Maybe he still thinks Beef was eliminated and is in the medical tent or something.

People do some math here.

The most recent of Team SoRod to be out was the LATINO HEALTH CRISIS. He was out in the middle of the second night. Everyone else was out before then. Beef revealed himself as alive and well on the dawn of Day Three.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Mr. Chord on March 16, 2006, 11:14:19 pm
This has all led me to think exactly how popular Achewood is. I always assumed it was one of those smaller webcomics that payed for itself through a hugely dedicated, awesome fanbase, but the crashing of the always-dependant server must take a lot of clickin', even if it was a sort of scheduled refresh-a-thon.

Did you seriously think that? The vast majority of Achewood fans just don't come to these messageboards.

Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: jcreed on March 16, 2006, 11:15:02 pm
And I was so counting on LHC to be the one to backstab first when the SoRod army were the only combatants --- and anarchic treachery the only option --- remaining.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2006, 11:30:11 pm
Did you seriously think that? The vast majority of Achewood fans just don't come to these messageboards.



Yes, I think a vast number of achewood fans don't come to the messageboard.  Yesterday was a case in point.  Many many people came here who don't usually come only because they were looking for the strip (possibly thinking we stole it).

~Paul
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: wombat on March 17, 2006, 12:07:11 am
(possibly thinking we stole it).


I'm sorry.  I meant to give it right back but then all hell broke loose!
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: sensate on March 17, 2006, 02:15:20 am
You're right, Nuero. I didn't look hard enough. Apologies to O and to whoever felt that post should cost me a can.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: nuero on March 17, 2006, 05:27:12 am
... because they were looking for the strip (possibly thinking we stole it).

This made me laugh, so have a tiny can of soda that I don't really like.
Title: Re: March 15, 2006: You've not had my life.
Post by: Noah on March 17, 2006, 07:22:41 am
enough is enough

http://www.tagworld.com/snakesonaplane