The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: robot_god on March 17, 2006, 03:55:25 pm
-
I THINK I HAVE A WISDOM TOOTH COMING IN
MAN FUCK WHY THEY GOT TO DO A THING
-
Hey Ash, here's a disgusting story you don't want to hear:
In my early 20's due to dental health necessity, I had to get braces. Terrible. Even more unfortunately, this meant having two impacted wisdom teeth and my four front pre-molars removed - that's right, count 'em: six teeth removed. Thankfully this meant being put under - I am glad I didn't have to be awake for what was done to me. I'm sure it was horrible. I remember arriving at that oral surgeons, and that is it. I remember coming to, and sort of remember going home, but I was on so many wonderful drugs, basically the next week is a total blur. I had a great hallucination about Isabella Rossellini.
Anyway a couple weeks later I am all better, and I notice a small paper bag has mysteriously appeared in my sock drawer. My curiosity peaked, I open it, look inside, and when I see what is in it, I run to the bathroom and puke rainbow colours. Seems that while slipping under the anesthesia I requested that they save my teeth for me, and during my drug filled haze that afternoon, brought them home and stuck them in the drawer. In that I have no memory of any of this, opening a bloody bag of teeth was a horrible, disgusting surprise.
Then I spent two horrible years looking like a teenager.
-
When I got my wisdom teeth removed the summer before last, I had dry sockets, which basically means that I was in a lot of pain (more than usual, even for wisdom teeth removal) for two solid weeks. I actually had to get my hydrocodone prescription refilled. In that two-week period, I became mildly dependent on the stuff; I had to wean myself off of the drugs for a few days. Those were some fun times!
I hope that if you have to have your wisdom teeth removed, you do not have dry sockets, because they are extremely unpleasant.
GOOD LUCK.
-
When I had mine removed, I had just barely come out of the anesthesia when I was saying "My teeth! My teeth!" and making them dig them out of the trash so I could keep them. I keep them in a little box with a drawing of a slimy monster and the word "muck" on it, fair warning so no one will have any unpleasant surprises. The only slightly gross part is that I only got to keep two, because the other two they had to cut in half to get out, which was something best not thought about too deeply.
-
I had dry sockets also. However, I was too proud and too tough to keep with the narcotics. My mouth hurt like crazy for a solid month. It's a great way to lose weight
-
I only have two wisdom teeth and I get to keep them both inside my head.
-
When I had mine removed (one they had to bust up), just as the drugs were beginning to take effect, the doc says to me "how are you feeling?" and I replied "wow, this is sort of like being on acid". I remember his look being sort of disapproving.
-
mann.
I hated the drugs the gave me so much.
I hated them so much that I threw them out.
I am not proud of myself for digging them out of the trash late at night.
I got home immediately after, and decided I wanted my computer by my bed. My mom says I was walking around the house, drooling blood, trying unsuccessfully to untangle all the wires... I read 3/4 of a book, and then forgot it. I listened to multiple cds of music, and then forgot them.
my friend says her parents informed her afterwards that she started really explicitly hitting on the nurse while on the drugs. it was uncomfortable for all.
I found out a week ago that the reason that I've had braces on for over 3 years, when the orthodontist had originally said that it was only 6 months worth of work, is that my orthodontist was utterly incompetent. We switched now, and it's going to be another 6 months before I can get them off. He said that he can't tell what exactly my braces are supposed to be doing in my mouth right now, as the most basic problems haven't been fixed, and the wires weren't tight enough to move anything.
I am sick of people messing with my mouth. I hate the feeling of leverage on my teeth. I hate the grinding noises. I hate the wierd instruments.
I bit a woman once. she kept trying to do the same thing and failing, and it was making me reflexively close my mouth a little each time... and I bit her.
-
Mine came out uneventfully. They did have to break one up, but it didn't bother me. I took the Percocets. They worked.
I was lucky, apparently.
-
mann.
I hated the drugs the gave me so much.
I hated them so much that I threw them out.
I am not proud of myself for digging them out of the trash late at night.
I got home immediately after, and decided I wanted my computer by my bed. My mom says I was walking around the house, drooling blood, trying unsuccessfully to untangle all the wires... I read 3/4 of a book, and then forgot it. I listened to multiple cds of music, and then forgot them.
my friend says her parents informed her afterwards that she started really explicitly hitting on the nurse while on the drugs. it was uncomfortable for all.
I found out a week ago that the reason that I've had braces on for over 3 years, when the orthodontist had originally said that it was only 6 months worth of work, is that my orthodontist was utterly incompetent. We switched now, and it's going to be another 6 months before I can get them off. He said that he can't tell what exactly my braces are supposed to be doing in my mouth right now, as the most basic problems haven't been fixed, and the wires weren't tight enough to move anything.
I am sick of people messing with my mouth. I hate the feeling of leverage on my teeth. I hate the grinding noises. I hate the wierd instruments.
I bit a woman once. she kept trying to do the same thing and failing, and it was making me reflexively close my mouth a little each time... and I bit her.
I have had 9 teeth removed, not including my four wisdom teeth. I had a palatal expander in third grade (that's a thing that goes on the roof of your mouth and is cranked with a key to literally stretch your palate, because I have a freakishly small mouth), gum surgery in Middle School, braces from fifth to seventh grade, and a retainer since then. Don't tell me about hellish dental experiences.
On the plus side, I have very lovely, straight teeth now. Hang in there!
-
I only had wisdom teeth on the bottom, and they both came in around the same time. The first one was a piece of cake. The dentist told me he was going to twist then pull. I felt the twist, but not the pull. He was done already.
The second one, out a week later, wasn't so easy. He had to break it up and take it out piece by piece. And the Novocaine wasn't really working, but they couldn't give me any more. No fun.
Dental work is a piece of cake next to eye surgery, though. At least, old non-laser eye surgery where they have to hold your eye still with this thing that looks like two melon-ballers connected by a spring.
-
Man, I wish you the speediest of recoveries and minimum of pain.
I am yet to know whether my wisdom teeth need to be removed, and I will probably faint on the spot if I'm told they need tinkering with, being the big Jessie that I am. However, having had a relatively surgery free life so far, I think the karma's about to kick in.
-
Speedy recovery, God of Automata.
My wisdom-teeth story isn't that hideous, but I still found it strange; they told me I'd be on full anesthesia, but in fact they just ave me the Valium-IV thing. When they told me this, my reaction was nigh-on hysterical: "I thought I was going under! I really don't want to be awake for this -- are you sure? I really, really want to be under anes..."
And the next thing I remember, my mother is there, telling me it's over and we can go home. I guess it worked, huh?
(Amusingly enough, before this I had been a little worried about going under full anesthesia for dental work. Long before I was born, my great-aunt had died under anesthesia while having teeth pulled; she had been 19. I got my wisdom teeth out at 18, and the vague feeling of history repeating was downright unpleasant.)
I spent the rest of that night on the couch, alternating between being asleep and crying uncontrollably because I couldn't make sense of anything around me. After that I switched from Percocet to Excedrin. I'm the worst druggie ever.
-
I still don't have an appointment until tomorrow afternoon, but they at least phoned in a perscription for Ibuprofen as if I wasn't already taking it. The night I started feeling it, the pain was pretty debilitating, but yesterday and today have been next to no pain. I definitely feel something under the gum over there, though.
I was looking back there last night and thinking, man... there is not room to fit another tooth in there. Maybe it has already stopped progressing. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Personally, I've always liked going to the dentist, although I've never needed any major dental surgery. I've always found it relaxing (my father agrees) and getting nitrous oxided as a child was probably the twelvth best high of all time.
-
man.
they told me that there was a tiny possibility that they'd screw up the nerves in my mouth, and I wouldn't be able to feel that part of my face ever again
I woke up, and couldn't feel my face, and I convinced myself that the drugs should have worn off by then.
my mom says I woke up about every 20-30 minutes and pulled on my lips for a few minutes before falling back asleep.
-
BOOYAH.
Gotta get it taken out, bay-bee.
Gotta get the "challenging surgery," bay-bee.
Howya like me now, gold teeth crak da smile.
-
I'm guessing they just broke out the Good Drugs.
I've just had three teeth come through which I thought were wisdom teeth (I've always been great about going to the dentist except for this last year so I haven't had a chance to find out for realz) but they seem to be fitting in fine and have caused me no pain so after all these stories I'm not so sure. I'm hoping this is because when I had braces I had four teeth removed and that made room for them. Still have all four in a drawer in my room with old cds and stuff too. Not much pain (I hit the drugs hard for a week or two and hit my folks up for hell of yoghurt and other soft treats) from that but it's damn weird to have your dentist with his knee on your chest to pull that fucker out. Today's fun fact about me: I now only have one eyetooth. I like to think this makes my smile look interestingly lopsided but in reality my first molar on the other side is kind of pointy and who the hell is looking at my teeth anyway.
-
I'm looking at those glasses, myself.
-
Thus far, my first four wisdom teeth have not caused me any problems. However, the last time I went to a dentist I was shocked to learn that I have two more waiting to come in on my upper jaw. If they ever do pierce gum, out they'll be yanked & under the influence of drugs I shall be.
I am a mutant.
-
STORY TIME:
Earlier this year it was determined I needed one of the wisdom teeth that had come through needed to come out. I only grew 2 wisdom teeth (for whatever reason my upper ones just decided not to ever grow; maybe I'm not all that wise?) There was more than enough room (I have a big mouth, just ask my ex-girlfriends BOOYAKKA!) so the dentist didn't worry about them when they came in.
The one on the right side though was being a pest it needed to be removed. I happily obliged my oral thaumaturge and sought out the Chiron of oral surgery. They wouldn't have to cut and I'd only need a local, which is fine by me. I hate being put under, but mostly because if I'm going to be randomly fondled below the belt, I'd rather be awake for it. He gave me a shot, then another, and then another. He then put down what felt the hell like a lead vest over me. It was really just like plastic sheeting, but I thought "The hell does he need this for?" I came here for a bib like a regular patient and dammit that's what I wanted.
I figured he knew better than I though, so I grilled and chilled while the numbness set in. Eventually Dr. Doom came back in the room and prodded about asking if I could feel anything. I gave him the big ol' negatory and he set about himself with tools. I think I may have swallowed hard, but it's not easy to do with your mouth open.
In front of him lay what might have been a sculptor's chisel that was forged in the fires of Abaddon. Seriously, it looked like a hunk of steel that would drive 50's era Pittsburgh into fits of jealousy. My mouth splayed open as he leaned in and began knocking at the tooth a bit. Apparently this was, I can only assume, to find a weak point, because after about 30 seconds he grabbed what one might describe as tongs with bullets on the end and placed it alongside the tooth.
The next thing I experienced was a sound not unlike a thick branch snapping in winter from the weight of ice. This was my tooth cracking down the line. I felt nothing but a tugging all the way down in my jaw as he gripped each side and pulled the foul calcite invader from my jaw itself. It's a weird thing to suddenly have knowledge of just how far ones teeth extend beyond looking at an x-ray. Did I mention the splatter of blood when he broke the tooth? It didn't so much splatter as it sprayed us both. Now I understood the tarp he'd covered me in.
After about 5 more minutes of digging out tooth pieces he handed me a bottle of vicodin and sent me on my way.
"you're the calmest person I've ever had in here," he said. Good to know I'll do well under torture then, as long as the torturers use a local anesthetic.
-
STORY TIME: CONT'D
I had gum surgery in Middle School (as I've mentioned) because the gum line below my bottom front teeth was receding, which is apparently a bad thing.
They didn't put me under, which would have been really nice, because I am ten kinds of terrified of needles. This is especially unfortunate considering all the dental work I've had done. Anyway, I had no fewer than eight shots of Novocaine in the most sensitive parts (are there any other parts?) of my mouth. My surgeon instructed me to get his attention whenever I felt the Novocaine wearing off.
Everything was going smoothly through the slicing and grafting parts of the surgery. However, when it came time to sew the new bit of gum below my teeth, I could feel the scratchy thread being dragged through my gums. It didn't hurt, per se, but the sensation of twine-like thread being pulled through one's gums is more than a little unnerving. I dumbly grunted and thrashed in the direction of the doctor to indicate I needed more Novocaine. This, my friends, was one of the most difficult decisions of my life: to go through the creepy and possibly painful sensation of oral cross-stitch, or to experience the undoubtedly agonizing pain of more Novocaine injections? I chose the latter (but I'm not sure whether or not it has made all the difference).
PART THE SECOND:
To illustrate just how terrified I am of needles, I will disclose certain facts about my wisdom teeth removal. When I visited the dentist for my pre-surgical consultation, he informed me that I would be hooked up to an IV. He touched the inside of my arm on the large vein by the elbow joint, and I began to shake uncontrollably. Noticing my panic, he remarked, "I think I'll write you a prescription to take beforehand."
Yes, he gave me a muscle relaxant.
-
one of my good friends was mortally terrified of needles.
she did not know this, somehow.
then, one day, she went into the doctor's office to get a shot.
the doctor pulled out a needle.
she passed out on the floor.
I guess, if you're afraid of needles, you can't get one of those trendy heroin addictions.
-
I had very similar gum surgery, Hobot. It was highly unpleasant.
I have all my wisdom teeth, and I plan on keeping them. A year or two ago my dentist was like, "You should have your wisdom teeth removed because it's difficult for me to reach them for cleaning." I should go through that because it's incovenient for YOU? Whatever.
I do, however, have a crown. That was kind of sucky.
-
I have all my wisdom teeth, and I plan on keeping them. A year or two ago my dentist was like, "You should have your wisdom teeth removed because it's difficult for me to reach them for cleaning." I should go through that because it's incovenient for YOU? Whatever.
To play dentist's advocate, I presume that the implied rider there was "... and if they can't stay adequately cleaned, you're risking serious tooth decay and things worse than just having them out now."
Also: this thread is giving me dentist phobia. Eeeek.
-
The one of mine that had to be broken ended up broken in about 7 pieces.
-
This thread doesn't have enough pictures.
(http://www.rebsig.com/kogepan/teeth.jpg)
-
This thread doesn't have enough pictures.
Oh I'm sorry.
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN1721-E-450-Getting_a_Root_Canal.jpg)
Rootcanal'd
~Paul
-
The lid of that can seems to portray the love-child of Raphael and Bebop.
That is a good can.
-
That's better.
-
Paul, do you have some kind of tiny gnome wandering after you taking photos? This is getting downright surreal.
-
To play dentist's advocate, I presume that the implied rider there was "... and if they can't stay adequately cleaned, you're risking serious tooth decay and things worse than just having them out now."
That would make sense, wouldn't it? But I'm quite serious about keeping them clean, having been told that wisdom teeth are sometimes neglected. And on my last dental visit, the hygeniest said, "Wow, you're doing a good job taking care of those wisdom teeth."
The hell you yank my teeth.
-
Uh Paul, when it's time for you to get a colonoscopy, please post a warning in the thread.
Or better yet, just link to the photos.
-
Or better yet, just link to the photos.
Because, as already established, there are some sick fucks around here.
-
*waggles brows*
-
*draws blinds, locks door, makes sure phone number is unlisted*
-
Q, did you just waggle your eyebrow at Paul's colonoscopy pics? ???
-
Q, did you just waggle your eyebrow at Paul's colonoscopy pics? ???
Actually it was at LepreKHAAAAN! "Whenever the name of sick fuckery is called out; there shall I be." (Book of Queue Chapter 13 Verse 42)
-
Q, did you just waggle your eyebrow at Paul's colonoscopy pics? ???
I'm filing that thought in my "To Actively Repress" folder.
-
How full is that particular folder these days?
With Q around, you just might need two folders.
-
I'm filing that thought in my "To Actively Repress" folder.
Would it ease your mind to know that i've never had a colonoscopy, and if I did I wouldn't post the pictures here.
Here's (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN11666-E-1024.jpg) something you might find even more disturbing. I know my Mother sure did.
~Paul
-
How full is that particular folder these days?
With Q around, you just might need two folders.
Oh, it's mighty full. In fact, I should have explained that there is an entire dusty room full of floor-to-ceiling filing cabinets containing just such folders in my mind. I was referring to the most recent folder in this series, to be sure.
-
Oh, it's mighty full. In fact, I should have explained that there is an entire dusty room full of floor-to-ceiling filing cabinets containing just such folders in my mind. I was referring to the most recent folder in this series, to be sure.
Do I have to tell the bursting skin rash story again?
I'll do it. I swear.
-
I had three of my wisdom teeth removed ten months ago. One, my lower left, was growing perpendicular to the rest of my teeth and actually causing bone in my jaw to erode. That sumbitch got cut up real good before it could be extracted. The top ones were a breeze. I did not keep them.
I was 28 when I had the surgery, so I was expecting hell of complications due to a mature mouth. Full knockout, plus what was listed on my bill as "supplementary dosage" of whatever they used. Could you imagine how lousy it would've been to wake up when they were only 85% finished? Turns out the surgeon who worked on me is also one of the team doctors for the local professional hockey club, so he was probably used to working on guys my age with busted grills.
I remember everything from the second I woke up in the recovery room to the second I put my head down on the couch to sleep off the drugs. I even walked up a flight of stairs. Good times. My jaw hurt like no other for two weeks and I lost ten pounds because my normal diet was replaced by yogurt and nutritional shakes (sip them from a cup rather than sucking them through a straw, which could dislodge the clots). I was prescribed Oxycontin's generic stepbrother, of which I took two pills and then switched to Aleve.
Surgery done on a Friday morning, back at work on Tuesday. Five months later, it was all paid for. The bills were the part that hurt the most.
-
Turns out the surgeon who worked on me is also one of the team doctors for the local professional hockey club, so he was probably used to working on guys my age with busted grills.
Where do you live, please?
-
Would it ease your mind to know that i've never had a colonoscopy, and if I did I wouldn't post the pictures here.
Here's (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN11666-E-1024.jpg) something you might find even more disturbing. I know my Mother sure did.
~Paul
Your mother finds it disturbing, probably because you are a single mis-step away from certain death. I find it disturbing, because I imagine you just leading that young man so far off the path to a good a proper life that he wont even remember anything healthy and pure to do with a communion wafer.
-
anything healthy and pure to do with a communion wafer.
Wait.. so you're telling me those AREN'T floaters for Sangria?
well shit... what am I going to do with 120 boxes then? I certainly can't return them from where I assuredly legally acquired them.
-
I thought perhaps your mother had a problem with those horrible sunglasses that kid is wearing.
-
I imagine you just leading that young man so far off the path to a good a proper life that he wont even remember anything healthy and pure to do with a communion wafer.
You know i'm trying my damndest, but the boy just don't listen.
~Paul
-
Here's (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN11666-E-1024.jpg) something you might find even more disturbing. I know my Mother sure did.
She's right Paul, that is a fuck*ng awful shirt.
Where can I get one?
-
Paul, why won't you listen to me? Stay away from the cliffs!
-
Beware Fuck Mountain, Paul! BEWARE!