The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2006, 04:14:44 am

Title: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2006, 04:14:44 am
Well, Tags finally pulled the pin. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060321/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_tagliabue;_ylt=AjSPiAi4qngQzmIBnDnT2QcN97QF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4aTcxZmtlBHNlYwMxNjk4) It's a little surprising for me to see that Rozelle didn't retire until 1989. It seemed like he was gone earlier than that. I think they'll have a tough time replacing Tagliabue. I'd say the NFL has been more stable over the course of his tenure than any other professional sport in this country.

Quote from: Dave Goldberg, AP football writer
Roger Goodell, the NFL's chief operating officer, and Atlanta general manager Rich McKay are the two leading candidates to succeed Tagliabue. Baltimore Ravens president Dick Cass also is considered to have an outside chance and Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice has said she would like the job.

People, you've screwed up my country. Can you at least leave me my sports?
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Golfhaus on March 21, 2006, 12:43:02 pm
Condoleeza would be an interesting choice. I do believe she'd be the first African-American to be the head of a major sports league. She'd certainly be the first woman. It speaks volumes for the importance this nation places on football that given the choice between being commissioner of the NFL or FIFTH IN LINE FOR THE PRESIDENCY, you would consider the former.

How would her conservatism drive her tenure as a commissioner, I wonder...
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2006, 01:54:37 pm
I'd say the NFL has been more stable over the course of his tenure than any other professional sport in this country.

The Hell?  I lost my Oilers under his tenure.  Fuck him, fuck professional sports, fuck this thread.

~Paul
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Gimpson on March 21, 2006, 02:40:01 pm
I've only been half-following the labor strife...  They did work out a new CBA for this season, didn't they?  Was it longer term than just the upcoming season?  I only vaguely remember the last football strike/lockout, and it seems that he's done a great job avoiding the labor struggles that killed hockey and nearly killed baseball. 

Re:  Oilers:  I had just moved to Houston when the Oilers were yanked, and Tennessee remains on my top 5 most hated teams list.  On the plus side, after years of hating the Cowboys just because, I finally have a reason again (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2377168).
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: CortJstr on March 21, 2006, 02:45:44 pm
So what does the comissioner do besides not answer press questions and enforce this vague "parity" deal?
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: wombat on March 21, 2006, 03:05:10 pm
I can't believe y'all are talking about football when the US apparently just totally, mortifyingly lost a world baseball competition. 
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: CortJstr on March 21, 2006, 03:38:18 pm
I can't believe y'all are talking about football when the US apparently just totally, mortifyingly lost a world baseball competition. 

bases-ball?
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2006, 03:45:02 pm
y'all

Chicks from the Bronx aren't allowed to say "y'all".  You don't see me going around saying "youse" do you?

Don't make me warn you again.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2006, 03:45:40 pm
I can't believe y'all are talking about football when the US apparently just totally, mortifyingly lost a world baseball competition. 

Nonsense, woman. Everyone knows the World Series is played in October.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 21, 2006, 04:14:28 pm
I can't believe y'all are talking about football when the US apparently just totally, mortifyingly lost a world baseball competition. 

Meh.  Our inherent American hubris says we should have won this easily, but really, the Americans aren't that far ahead in baseball talent compared to the rest of the world like we are in basketball.  Cuba, the DR, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Japan, Korea... these are all very talented teams.  Over the course of a long season, I'd expect the US to prevail, but in the short format of the WBC, there's absolutely no shame in losing to these ballclubs.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: wombat on March 21, 2006, 05:50:23 pm
"youse"


Oh, imagine the hubbub that would cause among the prescriptive-grammarian rabble around here. 
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: acoxcae on March 21, 2006, 05:52:22 pm
Well, I never picked the US to win, since all our best players are from other countries anyway.  When all the American stars are playing for the DR, it's pretty likely they'd do well, you know?  Sure, the guys on the American team are good, but I'd wager those on the DR team are better on average.  Similar logic for Japan.

As for Cuba, I'd suggest that since we're not really able to recruit there, they could be just as good or better than the DR guys, on average, except that they're not on American teams.

So, yeah, I'm not really surprised the US lost, since a victory for the DR is kind of like a victory for the US.  Kinda.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: V-Adore on March 21, 2006, 06:21:25 pm
Yeah; while I'm not up on the WBC, I think a loss in baseball, where there are many excellent teams and strong traditions in many countries, is less shameful than would be, say, a loss in American football.

Which I think this thread was supposed to be about, but hey, whatever.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Gimpson on March 21, 2006, 06:58:40 pm
How hard was the US team really trying?  They're just gearing up for their paying gig, and nobody wants to get hurt. 

Also, it appears that the Packers are making off season moves in an attempt to keep Favre around for one more season.  I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, but nobody wants to see him go out like he did last season.  Personally, I'd like to see him come back, but let whoever #2 is work in if it doesn't look like the team is playoff bound. 
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2006, 07:21:04 pm
I can't believe y'all are talking about football when the US apparently just totally, mortifyingly lost a world baseball competition.

Well, I never picked the US to win, since all our best players are from other countries anyway.  When all the American stars are playing for the DR, it's pretty likely they'd do well, you know?  Sure, the guys on the American team are good, but I'd wager those on the DR team are better on average.  Similar logic for Japan.

So, yeah, I'm not really surprised the US lost, since a victory for the DR is kind of like a victory for the US.  Kinda.

This is the problem with professional team sports.  The players don't represent the cities they play for, they don't even represent the United States of America.

At least there's no pretense in Golf or Tennis.  You KNOW who Tiger Woods is playing for.

~Paul
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 21, 2006, 07:38:16 pm
At least there's no pretense in Golf or Tennis.  You KNOW who Tiger Woods is playing for.


What about the Ryder Cup?
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2006, 08:09:25 pm
You KNOW who Tiger Woods is playing for.

~Paul

Sure.  Nike and Buick.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: CortJstr on March 21, 2006, 08:23:47 pm
Sure.  Nike and Buick.

This reminds me, in gold does "Classic" actually mean anything? A few years ago the Congressional Open was renamed the Jerkwad McLamo Classic or somesuch (only newscasters used the new name) but how can they name something "Classic" right off the bat like that? Especially since as far as I could tell the Congressional Open had been retconned out of existence.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2006, 09:38:41 pm
I wonder if Drew Brees is kicking himself for holding out a bit, and not ending up in Miami. I don't think he will shine as brightly in New Orleans as he did in San Diego, when he was assisted by arguably the best RB and TE in football right now.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Lister on March 22, 2006, 12:07:02 am
Back to football: Good luck with the Phillip Rivers Era, 'Bolts.

Oh god.  Don't remind me.  Though I think the real loser will now be Jay Cutler, who'll probably drop out of the top 10.

On the other hand, I hear that the Colts have agreed to a deal with Adam Vinatieri.  One would hope that wherever Vanderjagt ends up he'll have finally learned not to talk to anyone about anything ever again.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: robot_god on March 23, 2006, 02:10:36 pm
I don't know if it was latent disinterest or something else, but it seems like the WBC suffered from incredibly poor coverage.  I didn't catch one game, even though at its start I was interested and was searching the papers and internet for schedules.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 24, 2006, 03:33:52 am
A lot of the games were on ESPN Deportes, which actually made them more watchable to a great degree.  Just like World Cup soccer.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on March 24, 2006, 03:35:49 am
A lot of the games were on ESPN Deportes, which actually made them more watchable to a great degree.  Just like World Cup soccer.

I watched the Chargers beat the Colts on ESPN Deportes. That fucking ruled.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: AugustWest on March 24, 2006, 03:59:34 am
Huh, I'll have to try that.  I wonder if we get ESPN Deportes on Directv.

I was watching a subtitled movie the other night on IFC (Y Tu Mama Tambien, or something like that, it was good...) and I was surprised by how much Spanish I could follow.  Just words here and there, but that was more than I expected.  Maybe I can watch Channel Ocho and pick up the language.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 27, 2006, 03:05:14 pm
Since this has become kind of an all-purpose sports thread...
Who's a George Mason alum?
Me (I am). 
w000000000000000000000t!
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: AugustWest on March 27, 2006, 03:06:39 pm
Excellent!  Go Patriots!

Connecticut deserved to have their asses kicked.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Golfhaus on March 28, 2006, 12:51:15 pm
Who would have guessed that in a state with two teams in the ACC, where basketball often comes in before religion on people's priority lists, that George Mason would be the best team in the state.

I hope they win, because I want someone from there to say, "Who the hell is George Mason? The 2006 NCAA champs, bitches!" And because I love it when teams that are supposed to fade away quietly knock off big dawgs and take it for themselves.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: CortJstr on March 28, 2006, 01:48:53 pm
I think the sports guys just really enjoyed being able to say "all 3 Georges advance." Until, you know, -town and Washington lost.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 28, 2006, 02:42:57 pm
I hope they win, because I want someone from there to say, "Who the hell is George Mason? The 2006 NCAA champs, bitches!" And because I love it when teams that are supposed to fade away quietly knock off big dawgs and take it for themselves.

Actually, we like to say "Father of the Motherfuckin' Bill of Rights!"
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: V-Adore on March 28, 2006, 09:10:28 pm
I hope they win, because I want someone from there to say, "Who the hell is George Mason? The 2006 NCAA champs, bitches!" And because I love it when teams that are supposed to fade away quietly knock off big dawgs and take it for themselves.

As someone who has long held resentment towards the "pair the lowest-seed with the highest-seed" system (I blame middle-school gym), I too love upsets. I'm still riotously proud of our hometown Northwestern State for managing to win a game and almost beat WVU; you go, boys!
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: pmcd9 on March 29, 2006, 04:00:52 am
I went bowling (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN11855-E-1024.jpg).

~Paul
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 29, 2006, 07:29:40 am
Dude, the full beard takes power from your mustache!

Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Golfhaus on March 30, 2006, 11:17:27 pm
He just hasn't found the store in Utah that sells razors yet. Give him time.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2006, 11:31:21 pm
Dude, the full beard takes power from your mustache!

Yeah I know, but the lady who has been kissing me likes it.  I'll probably shave it pretty soon.  I'm experiencing the beard right now after 5 years of enforced shaving.  Soon I'll return to the classic Paul moustache.

~Paul

Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: theinevitable on March 31, 2006, 03:33:40 am
ANd then, there won't be "New Paul" any more, but there will be "Paul Classic"

oh, when will they learn...
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: acoxcae on March 31, 2006, 02:04:54 pm
Just wait ten years, then there'll be Paul Zero, Paul P2...except...wait!

Did we miss CRYSTAL PAUL?
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2006, 02:34:18 pm
Did we miss CRYSTAL PAUL?

Crystal Paul (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/75_MAVERICK/Paul_circa1980_2.jpg)

~Paul
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: V-Adore on March 31, 2006, 09:18:13 pm
Well, I'm terrified. I think that's like the minimum legal lower-body-covering surface area there, too.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on December 11, 2006, 12:47:29 am
Just to bring it 'round full circle again - Ladainian Tomlinson is the greatest running back to ever touch the ball in the NFL. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2693396)

Also, I went to Boise State University. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls06/bowls?game=fiesta) This year started out rough, but it's ending up nicely. To add onto all that, I'm a Red Wings fan, and they're doing ok. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=261209005)
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 11, 2006, 01:41:31 am
Hey, I go to OU currently.  Just so you know, the football team normally dominates the other team but then wins by like 3, so it should be a decent game.  I am actually a OSU fan (OK State), but did not choose my college based on who I am a fan of.  Basically, good luck, and I hate OU (there fans are assholes and also there are all of those fans who never even came close to going to college but somehow "love" OU) so hope BSU wins, but, they probably won't.  It is a no win situation for OU though, so maybe BSU can pull it out.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on December 11, 2006, 01:59:12 am
Hey, I go to OU currently.  Just so you know, the football team normally dominates the other team but then wins by like 3, so it should be a decent game.  I am actually a OSU fan (OK State), but did not choose my college based on who I am a fan of.  Basically, good luck, and I hate OU (there fans are assholes and also there are all of those fans who never even came close to going to college but somehow "love" OU) so hope BSU wins, but, they probably won't.  It is a no win situation for OU though, so maybe BSU can pull it out.

Good luck I guess, a little - but did you realize we have blue turf? I think everyone pretty much has to pull for the team with blue turf. it's "smurf turf", get it? OK, I'm sorry. I'll go now.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 11, 2006, 02:07:57 am
Uh, no....  I am pulling for you.  I fuck*ng hate the sports at the college I go to.  Maybe if it was the national title, or if they were playing a team I hate like Miami then I would rout for OU, but as it is, go BSU.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: melack on December 11, 2006, 05:51:53 am
Keith, that must be pretty tough going to one school but rooting for the in-state rival. Reminds me of a friend of mine. We both went to UW but he was a Gonzaga fan. We had some epic arguments last year over whether Adam Morrison or Brandon Roy was the superior basketball player.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Gimpson on December 11, 2006, 08:44:39 pm
I went to school at Arkansas, and they did rather well this season.  I was in Vegas a few weeks ago when they were still ranked #6, and I thought that the LSU/Hogs game would be a fun one to lay a wager on.  The Hogs proceeded to melt down and be utterly destroyed by LSU, losing me twenty bucks. 

However, free drinks in the sports book, so I think it was pretty much a wash.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Gimpson on December 11, 2006, 08:45:05 pm
Also, the Green Bay Packers do not seem to be a very good football team.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on December 12, 2006, 10:48:45 pm
Uh, no....  I am pulling for you.  I fuck*ng hate the sports at the college I go to.  Maybe if it was the national title, or if they were playing a team I hate like Miami then I would rout for OU, but as it is, go BSU.

Sorry about the confusion, Keith, given that I was out in the deep rough with my response. As I am rarely here, it may be helpful if I point out to you at this point that I am frequently deep in the bag, and as such, my postings often don't seem to make much sense.

Also, Green Bay is at this point not a terribly good football team, but it looks like they are going to allow Mr. Favre to hang on and get a few of Dan Marino's records, and also they showed astonishingly good sportsmanship against the 49ers on Sunday, which is worth a lot of credit.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 13, 2006, 12:43:26 am
Also, Green Bay is at this point not a terribly good football team, but it looks like they are going to allow Mr. Favre to hang on and get a few of Dan Marino's records, and also they showed astonishingly good sportsmanship against the 49ers on Sunday, which is worth a lot of credit.

A funny thing about this:  Brett Favre will also set the all time interception record, in all probability, if he comes back.


I have been up for 30 hours, in which time I, well, lets just say I am paranoid from being so "energized" and "mellow" and starting to get drunk.  I can dig.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 13, 2006, 05:43:09 am
Few things make me happier in a cynical kind of way than seeing washed-up athletes hang on three... four... five years too long. Perhaps Favre and Canseco could have a kickboxing match!

The general idea of someone hanging onto their fame way too long is usually funny. When someone's hanging around too long because... they blew all their money or missed out on the big money and need to catch up at the end of their careers... not funny. Sad, usually. Ditto for the guy hanging on to get to one last (non-record) milestone number.

But when a guy is rollling in cash and wanders out to hit .235 for an expansion team because he is addicted to the limelight, it is hilarity defined. Generally speaking, it makes me feel better about myself and less of a failure.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on December 13, 2006, 05:47:51 am
Few things make me happier in a cynical kind of way than seeing washed-up athletes hang on three... four... five years too long. Perhaps Favre and Canseco could have a kickboxing match!

The general idea of someone hanging onto their fame way too long is usually funny. When someone's hanging around too long because... they blew all their money or missed out on the big money and need to catch up at the end of their careers... not funny. Sad, usually. Ditto for the guy hanging on to get to one last (non-record) milestone number.

But when a guy is rollling in cash and wanders out to hit .235 for an expansion team because he is addicted to the limelight, it is hilarity defined. Generally speaking, it makes me feel better about myself and less of a failure.
Hey what the fuck, I'm washed up and I keep going to work. They keep interviewing Favre and he says stuff like "well, I don't want to be the guy who retired and then thinks 'I could still play'". I'm pretty sure Marino is kicking himself in the ass right about now. I mean, Favre's going to take his records, and then here in about 5 or 6 years, Peyton's going to push him to number 3 on the list. D'oh!
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: AugustWest on December 13, 2006, 06:16:40 am
I'm pretty sure Marino is kicking himself in the ass right about now. I mean, Favre's going to take his records, and then here in about 5 or 6 years, Peyton's going to push him to number 3 on the list. D'oh!

Nah.  Marino didn't have much choice.  His arm was still fine, but his legs were totally shot.  I'm a big Marino fan and of course I know he was never what you'd call mobile.  But by the time he retired he was slower than, um, who's that big slow lumbering white guy?  Oh yeah.  He was slower than me.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 13, 2006, 06:27:09 am
It's true, Dan Marino was Tom Beringer in "Major League" by the end of his career.

If Marino and Vick were ever to touch, they would annihilate each other and create a blackhole.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on December 13, 2006, 07:24:34 am
Nah.  Marino didn't have much choice.  His arm was still fine, but his legs were totally shot.  I'm a big Marino fan and of course I know he was never what you'd call mobile.  But by the time he retired he was slower than, um, who's that big slow lumbering white guy?  Oh yeah.  He was slower than me.

Well, to be fair, the same was true of Joe Namath (when he played for the Rams) and Unitas (when he played for my beloved Bolts). Dan Marino was never mobile, at all. They never expected him to move around back there, they just asked him to throw it to one of the Marks. Also, remember that Dan won a playoff game his final year in the league. Do you think anyone would fault a player coming back after a season where his team not only made it to the playoffs but won a game? Everyone remembers the brutal beating they took from Jax, but they did beat Seattle in the Wild Card round.

Sure, it looks pretty probable that the Packers won't make the playoffs this year (although with the NFC, who knows) but if they did, who wouldn't want to see what Favre could do next year? He'll be here for awhile yet, is my guess.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Sub_Topical on December 13, 2006, 05:10:12 pm
Guys like Robert Smith and Tiki Barber get plenty of money and have the type of mentality that leads them to want to explore other fields fulfilling to them outside of sports. They can look at their accomplishments and it's enough for them.

Other guys, and Farve is a good example, man they are just ballplayers. They got the money and the fame and don't need or particularly want more of either but there ain't nothing in their life to replace GAME DAY. They hang on for that fix 'cause looking forward to not having it is just a black fuck*ng void. [Insert tawdry tale resulting in mug shot in 10 years]

Like Nabu said, the guys hanging on to make the bills are sad, and I kinda root for them not to leave the arena w/o something.

Only a very few of these dudes hang on for the adulation of joe fan, and yeah, mock 'em. But there's a wistfull and sad thing to a dude having to quit his whole life at age 30ish and find something new to do that has meaning and happiness behind it. I don't blame a dude who makes 'em yank the jersey off him and throw his ass outta the locker room, not one fuck*ng bit.

I mean shit, I get to do what I like 'till I croak.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on December 13, 2006, 07:06:51 pm
But there's a wistfull and sad thing to a dude having to quit his whole life at age 30ish and find something new to do that has meaning and happiness behind it.

I think that's a good point, especially as a guy who makes it in the NFL has basically been groomed to do so since probably the age of six or something. All through every level of school, they are told that the only important thing is to get it done on the field of play, and it's a rare athlete at that level who really thinks about what else they're going to do, when they can't play sports anymore. (This is the same reduction of life to a single goal that results in so many college athletes doing whacked-out shit, like taking a crap in a student's laundry hamper, or ramming multiple cop cars with their vehicle . . . and former pro athletes doing the same sort of whacked-out shit like, oh, killing people.)

If you've ever seen Favre talk about his dad, it's instructive and a bit chilling. It clarifies why exactly he's got such an almost disturbing drive to succeed. If he was still playing with a talented team around him, they'd be doing much better. He's not the weakest part of the team, despite how much his abilities have slipped. But I think you're right, and he's not going to have as much of a fall-back plan as Tiki does, or Steve Largent, or the other exceptions to the rule. However, listening to him talk on Sundays and listening to his extended fan-club talk about him (Madden, Steve Young, et al), it's pretty clear that as soon as he hangs up the cleats he'll be in a booth.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on March 31, 2007, 06:02:07 am
I know it's an old bump, but I didn't want to do it in the Super Bowl thread. Jesus, Norv Turner. It's taken this long for me even to stomach the thought. Who's next, after Marty and Norv? Shanahan?
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: melack on March 31, 2007, 06:53:31 pm
Wait, who did what in the what now?
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on April 01, 2007, 01:41:51 am
This was mostly for Ash.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: jaydub on April 02, 2007, 01:14:35 am
To mix in a dreadful metaphor: Norv Turner makes a fine bridesmaid.  Time will bear this out once again.  Bolts go 10-6 under him first year, then slip back to 7-9 next year.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Nabubrush on April 02, 2007, 01:16:36 am
To mix in a dreadful metaphor: Norv Turner makes a fine bridesmaid.  Time will bear this out once again.  Bolts go 10-6 under him first year, then slip back to 7-9 next year.

I'll go ahead and hate you now, and then when this comes true, I will hate you more.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Lister on April 02, 2007, 02:50:42 am
I would be outraged about this, but I am still not yet used to having a local sports team and thus do not truly identify with them.

Quite frankly I'm more disturbed by the fact that Bill Cowher is not going to be the Steelers coach, and may in fact be the coach of some other team later.  That is not right.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: theinevitable on April 02, 2007, 04:55:44 am
Quote
I would be outraged about this, but I am still not yet used to having a local sports team and thus do not truly identify with them.

I told my friend Katie that I was "maybe kind of a Mets fan" when she mentioned the baseball game tonight.
She spit on me.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: AugustWest on April 02, 2007, 05:12:33 am
I bet she's a STL native...
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: theinevitable on April 02, 2007, 06:19:39 am
oh, yeah, she is.

it wasn't real spit, it was water. From a water bottle.
Basically, she was finding a mostly gentle way to show her disapproval to teach me. Like a mother bear gently cuffing her cub.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: Golfhaus on April 10, 2007, 12:54:06 am
Wow, I have an ex-girlfriend named Katie from the STL area. But last I heard she lived in Hampton Roads - don't think she ever moved.

And I'm sure she cared too little about sports to spit water at someone.
Title: Re: The dreaded gridiron again
Post by: theinevitable on April 10, 2007, 01:05:39 am
yeah. Um, she doesn't care about sports. She has been to fewer baseball games in her life than I have. But, she is a St Louiser, and she spit on me.