The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Faze on March 22, 2006, 08:26:45 am

Title: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Faze on March 22, 2006, 08:26:45 am
Ray is All Business. But now that Beef has snapped out of it, I smell victory close at hand.

Also, the plushie theory seems more true than ever. I guess the driver simply panicked at the flame burst, and shoved the accelerator? Don't know how else he could've wheelied like that. Maybe the oxygen rushing by fueled the flames to get as big as they did.

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03222006
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Doc on March 22, 2006, 09:20:13 am
Personally I would have gone with 'Your butt on the back of your body' but this is a valid choice.

This works as a continuation of the last strip but doesn't bring a whole lot of new stuff to the party (though I can't wait to see what Ray does with the gas can), I do have slight concerns for our heroes since Beef is only ever safe when he is terrified of something bad happening, when Beef is happy that is when the bad things come. This is, however, the Fight, and different rules may apply.

Oh and the fire didn't make him wheelie, it was already wheelie-ing. The middle vehicle in a convoy shot must ALWAYS be doing a wheelie.

Great, now the word wheelie has lost all meaning for me.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: LCB on March 22, 2006, 09:27:36 am
It looks like Beef is getting into the spirit of things.

And thus shall Son of Rodney be known as the dogg so raw he beat down the Fight itself.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: ananke on March 22, 2006, 12:33:08 pm
I got a great laugh out of the copy-pasting of that completely savage beating panel.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: sunnystar on March 22, 2006, 12:35:13 pm
I personally like the alt-text: "Ray based this take-down on the recipe for steak diane."

Also, I am intrigued as to what Ray's dad is going to say when they get out!
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Roger on March 22, 2006, 01:12:02 pm
we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively

Word up J. G. Ballard!

Also, I am intrigued as to what Ray's dad is going to say when they get out!

Let us not forget that there's a chance that RLS is driving one of them Jeeps. Remember, hand with wristband picking up keys etc.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: misterqueue on March 22, 2006, 01:25:57 pm
Just a note that 'Stad is certainly sound effecting it up on this arc: 
Pouf
Ch-Chk VR-VREEEE
UGH
CRAK
S-fizzzzz
Slif
Pouf (again when Beef comes out of the can)
Slap
Dap
KRAK (which I guess is a Turkish version of CRAK)
PTOO
FLUP
and my favorite HUP... PLURGH (For VOMITING!)


That's enough, otherwise I'll activate my OCD and be here all day.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 22, 2006, 01:46:24 pm
still called it (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2622.msg58800.html#msg58800)
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: jcreed on March 22, 2006, 01:53:49 pm
So what is in those drum/barrel things that allows them to keep fires going, and also to put fires out?

Favorite sound-effects among the many are definitely FLUP and the SLAP-DAP twins.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 22, 2006, 01:57:44 pm
So what is in those drum/barrel things that allows them to keep fires going, and also to put fires out?

Favorite sound-effects among the many are definitely FLUP and the SLAP-DAP twins.

Light a fire in a barrel, you get ash. As the fire dies down, you get a barrel full of ash.
Ash is great for putting out fires.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: CortJstr on March 22, 2006, 02:12:19 pm
But ... but what about the spork?

Ray can't be headed towards the gate to try and escape so what's his game? I'm guessing he's going to try and get the other jeeps flaming wreckage to block the gate and prevent other jeeps from entering the fray.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: jcreed on March 22, 2006, 02:34:48 pm
Light a fire in a barrel, you get ash. As the fire dies down, you get a barrel full of ash.
Ash is great for putting out fires.

Oh, right, I was confused and thought it was a liquid. On second look, given the thin trails dribbling down the jeep's front bumper: definitely ash.

Ray can't be headed towards the gate to try and escape so what's his game?

And why not? You have to get outside the fence in order to rile up the encamped former contestants to storm the tower and defeat the Fight itself.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Roger on March 22, 2006, 02:41:10 pm
the SLAP-DAP twins.

Out soon on Prime Time Records.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: wombat on March 22, 2006, 02:58:34 pm
Personally I would have gone with 'Your butt on the back of your body'
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Hobot on March 22, 2006, 03:00:41 pm
But ... but what about the spork?

Oh, just you wait: the spork will be employed as the tiniest and deadliest of javelins.

Wait for it.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: jough on March 22, 2006, 04:29:30 pm
still called it (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2622.msg58800.html#msg58800)

Yeah, still I guess you're not reading the arc, because you didn't call it at all.  Ray and Beef aren't sharing victory in the Fight - they're taking down the Fight.  There will be no winner because there will be no one left to proclaim a winner.  Ray and Beef will deny themselves victory by eliminating the competition in its entirety, already in progress.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Drygioni on March 22, 2006, 04:40:22 pm
I am loving the drawings of the Jeeps. I've always liked how the painstakingly detailed, vectorised drawings of cars in Achewood completely clash with the characters. It's excellent.

The GOF would translate perfectly to cinema. Reading it is like watching a pretty fun action movie in snippets.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: pacotelic on March 22, 2006, 04:52:43 pm
Ray is going to have to fight and possibly kill his dad
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: revdj on March 22, 2006, 04:56:37 pm
You KNOW an arc is good when I actually look forward to going to work in the morning because I can't wait to see what happens next.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 22, 2006, 05:27:29 pm
Ray is All Business. But now that Beef has snapped out of it, I smell victory close at hand.

Also, the plushie theory seems more true than ever. I guess the driver simply panicked at the flame burst, and shoved the accelerator? Don't know how else he could've wheelied like that. Maybe the oxygen rushing by fueled the flames to get as big as they did.

Something is missing from this first post. SHAME.

Also: Steak Diane recipe (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1678.msg33650.html#msg33650)

We got everything covered here.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: MattFish on March 22, 2006, 05:42:01 pm
it took Beef getting behind the wheel of something to snap out of his "Afraid of Jeeps" paralysis. There's symbolism here, I'm sure of it.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: AugustWest on March 22, 2006, 06:37:05 pm
I know this is blasphemy, but I'm about ready for the GOF to be over.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: jough on March 22, 2006, 08:42:48 pm
I think he'll need another week to wrap up the Ramifications and Circumstances, but yeah, it's about over now, I think.

WE RETURN FRIDAY
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: LCB on March 22, 2006, 08:50:37 pm
What would make the best background music for this stretch of the story, starting with the gates opening and the Jeeps roaring in.

I thinking either spaghetti western theme music, something heavy on the wailing trumpet and strumming of Spanish guitar, or guitar rock. And not any guitar rock...I'm thinking maybe Davie Allan.

Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: pmcd9 on March 22, 2006, 09:16:49 pm
What would make the best background music for this stretch of the story, starting with the gates opening and the Jeeps roaring in.

I thinking either spaghetti western theme music, something heavy on the wailing trumpet and strumming of Spanish guitar, or guitar rock. And not any guitar rock...I'm thinking maybe Davie Allan.



Oh hell no, this scene is totally set to heavy metal.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Drygioni on March 22, 2006, 09:29:47 pm
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: misterqueue on March 22, 2006, 09:31:23 pm
Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner.


"I love the smell of Christian Brothers in the morning!"
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: V-Adore on March 22, 2006, 09:33:59 pm
"Smells like victory!"

The copy-pasting of the CRAKCRAKCRAKCRAK panel is classic, and Q makes a good point about the overall eloquence of the sound effects this arc. I mean, Onstad's still no Don Martin, (http://www.collectmad.com/madcoversite/index-dmd.html) but who is these days?
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Roger on March 22, 2006, 09:35:01 pm
What would make the best background music for this stretch of the story, starting with the gates opening and the Jeeps roaring in.

I thinking either spaghetti western theme music, something heavy on the wailing trumpet and strumming of Spanish guitar, or guitar rock. And not any guitar rock...I'm thinking maybe Davie Allan.



Maybe it's due to my first impression of Ted Cobb as Sex Machine of "From Dusk Till Dawn", but I keep listening to Tito and Tarantula all the way. Psychomariachibillyboogie or whatever you wanna call it.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 22, 2006, 11:23:09 pm
I'm hearing the chorus of "O Fortuna" from Orffs Carmina Burana here.

You all have heard it but I can't describe it and hardly anyone knows it by name.  But it's awesome.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Fooker on March 23, 2006, 12:30:56 am
I know that music. It goes like this:

SAW SOME WOOKIES

GREAT BIG WOOKIES

THEY CAME TO CRUSH DARTH VAAAADER

(why the hell am i already registered on here and why is my nickname "fooker" i distinctly remember not signing up and always preferring to be "tostitos" what the HELL people)
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: CortJstr on March 23, 2006, 01:17:29 am
I'm hearing the chorus of "O Fortuna" from Orffs Carmina Burana here.

You all have heard it but I can't describe it and hardly anyone knows it by name.  But it's awesome.

He means the part of this song (http://youtube.com/watch?v=80CubiAgWwQ) that starts about 3/4 in. Just FYI if you aren't familiar with this piece after the intro it gets really quiet, then unexpectedly gets all loud again.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: lprkn on March 23, 2006, 02:51:24 am
SAW SOME WOOKIES

GREAT BIG WOOKIES

THEY CAME TO CRUSH DARTH VAAAADER

That sir, is awesome. A tiny can for Fooker.

I think Metallica's Battery fits well.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: misterqueue on March 23, 2006, 03:24:45 am
That sir, is awesome. A tiny can for Fooker.

I think Metallica's Battery fits well.

awesome, but not original (http://wookiessong.ytmnd.com/).


...just sayin is all.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Jeepers on March 23, 2006, 03:46:21 am
I may lose all my cans for saying this...

I woke up today and checked the comic, and decided right then that I am definitely ready for the GOF to end. I can read any number of semi-funny action based webcomics, but there is only one achewood. and I am ready for achewood to be funny again.


edit: i found a nice achewood shout-out in Girly (http://go-girly.com/) today. nice.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: FlipConstantine on March 23, 2006, 04:35:33 am
Quote
I woke up today and checked the comic, and decided right then that I am definitely ready for the GOF to end.

I can sort of agree, but more in the sense of "I really want to see how this ends right now".  What will happen?  Who will die?  Will things ever be the same???!!??  Tune in next month true believer!


Also: Hi!  I'm new to the forums.  Please be gentle.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Mr Bad Example on March 23, 2006, 06:52:29 am
What would make the best background music for this stretch of the story, starting with the gates opening and the Jeeps roaring in.

I thinking either spaghetti western theme music, something heavy on the wailing trumpet and strumming of Spanish guitar, or guitar rock. And not any guitar rock...I'm thinking maybe Davie Allan.

Hi. Yet another newbie here, part of the RDA (Registered Due to Awesomeness) crowd.

This whole sequence puts me in the mind of the late Link Wray. "Rumble" would be the obvious choice, but I think "Jack the Ripper" fits even better.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2006, 10:15:36 pm
"Monkey Man" by the Stones. Lyrically it doesn't line up, but it's just so ugly - you know things will be going poorly for someone when you hear it. That or maybe "Gimme Shelter".
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: Drygioni on March 23, 2006, 10:35:01 pm
I just read that strip four times over, and I've finally decided:

The Skids - Into The Valley

What do you mean you haven't heard of the Skids? The Skids are the best Scottish punk band ever. Though the honour of that accolade is fairly dubious.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: theinevitable on March 24, 2006, 12:51:11 am
the correct soundtrack is one of those rocking type tracks off of Black Sabbath's eponymous album.

I cannot remember the names, and my iTunes is in a different state at this point.

I'm in South Carolina, at the beach in 50 degree weather, and my iPod only has the Flaming Lips on it. I am happy with that. "In a Priest Driven Ambulance" is great.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: lprkn on March 28, 2006, 02:58:58 am
awesome, but not original (http://wookiessong.ytmnd.com/).


...just sayin is all.

I cannot be aware of every happening in the reaches of cyberspace, regretfully. Even if it is on ytmnd.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: misterqueue on March 28, 2006, 03:00:08 am
I cannot be aware of every happening in the reaches of cyberspace, regretfully. Even if it is on ytmnd.

That is why I am here, like the other half of cort...




 but not in a married way.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: CortJstr on March 28, 2006, 03:07:51 am
That is why I am here, like the other half of cort...




 but not in a married way.

Q refuses to make an honest man of me. Oh, and we're low on Cherry Coke if you stop anywhere on the way home.
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: misterqueue on March 28, 2006, 03:10:50 am
Q refuses to make an honest man of me. Oh, and we're low on Cherry Coke if you stop anywhere on the way home.

Maybe if you didn't DRINK 3 fuck*ng 2 LITRES EACH DAY!

I will be at my mothers!

*runs out crying*
Title: Re: March 22, 2006 - we gonna make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively
Post by: lprkn on March 28, 2006, 03:30:03 am
I think that it's apparent which is the better half.