The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: robot_god on March 26, 2006, 09:14:57 pm

Title: Programmable soda.
Post by: robot_god on March 26, 2006, 09:14:57 pm
Taken from Fark.com:  http://www.yenra.com/beverages/programmable.html (http://www.yenra.com/beverages/programmable.html)

It seems to me that this just might be the greatest invention of the past twenty years.

Might be tough to avoid bratty kids and insecure adults from pushing in all the buttons of the merchandise.  But I think the concept is worth the risk.

Food vs. Technology was a tough call, went with technology.
Title: Re: Programmable soda.
Post by: Drygioni on March 26, 2006, 09:19:10 pm
Hot damn, maybe we could implement this onto the board. Giving someone a regular flavoured is a normal can of Dr Pepper, but Vanilla flavoured is a negative can... etc.. Maybe not, then.

They'd have to teach people on what the additives do, though. E192 means nothing to the average consumer!
Title: Re: Programmable soda.
Post by: theinevitable on March 26, 2006, 09:36:52 pm
thrifty people would buy soda water, and reuse the bottles until every flavor was used.

at least, that's what I'd do.
I mean, why buy a new one, when the flavor you want might be in the bottle you just used?

... actually, thrifty people would figure out their favorite combinations, and find a way to buy the flavoring in bulk.

man. that could be cool.
Title: Re: Programmable soda.
Post by: V-Adore on March 27, 2006, 12:06:47 am
My question would be the cost of the bottles. I mean, is this just a plastic bottle with little wells for flavorings, etc. on the side that release into the soda when you press them, or what? If the manufactoring cost of the bottles is affordable, I can see this doing well, at least on a niche level.
Title: Re: Programmable soda.
Post by: theinevitable on March 27, 2006, 02:46:41 am
I can also see a version of this that's like one of those cool soda fountains, except, at your house.

just buy the clear soda in bulk, and the flavorings... I realize that I said this earlier, but it made me think of my childhood dream of having taps in my house that carried root beer rather than hot and cold water.
Title: Re: Programmable soda.
Post by: side_show on March 27, 2006, 08:34:45 am
Bleh!  It is sort of an interesting idea, but this makes me want to drink soda even less.  I hardly ever drink the stuff because I hate knowing I'm drinking something artificial and manufactured, so I see no reason why I would want to participate in the artificial manufacturing process. 
Title: Re: Programmable soda.
Post by: Lister on March 27, 2006, 10:09:27 am
Since small times, I have wanted a soda fountain in my home, to go next to a popcorn machine, cotton candy maker, and shaved-ice mill.

Having done the research, though, I realize that these things are not inexpensive enough to justify their purchase, nor do they make single servings readily.  I'm still totally buying them when several hundred million dollars fall in my lap, though.  I'm also going to buy the formula for Dr. Pepper Red Fusion and bottle it for myself.

From the looks of it, these bubble thingiestm don't seem to hold enough volume to add all of the cola syrup flavor to a plain bottle of carbonated water -- they'd just be the "with lime" in your Pepsi With Lime or whatever.  So I guess they could sell you Pepsi Plus, and you could add whatever you wish of the Artificial Lemon, Lime, Cherry, Orange, Vanilla, or Mint Flavor Product Packstm.

Still seems like a waste to me in any form other than a promotional one... 'cause I can buy cherry flavored cherries on my own and add them to my own drink.  Num.
Title: Re: Programmable soda.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 27, 2006, 01:28:28 pm
Since small times, I have wanted a soda fountain in my home, to go next to a popcorn machine, cotton candy maker, and shaved-ice mill.

Having done the research, though, I realize that these things are not inexpensive enough to justify their purchase, nor do they make single servings readily.  I'm still totally buying them when several hundred million dollars fall in my lap, though.  I'm also going to buy the formula for Dr. Pepper Red Fusion and bottle it for myself.

One of the factors that led to me quitting drinking was when I considered buying a keg cooler with a tap on top.  It was only $150.00, easily affordable, but I would have been non stop blotto so I rethought the whole alcohol thing.

~Paul
Title: Re: Programmable soda.
Post by: CortJstr on March 27, 2006, 02:02:37 pm
Since small times, I have wanted a soda fountain in my home, to go next to a popcorn machine, cotton candy maker, and shaved-ice mill.

Having done the research, though, I realize that these things are not inexpensive enough to justify their purchase, nor do they make single servings readily.  I'm still totally buying them when several hundred million dollars fall in my lap, though.  I'm also going to buy the formula for Dr. Pepper Red Fusion and bottle it for myself.

You could always go for root beer instead of a soda fountain. You can get quality root beer on draught and as Paul said kegerators are actually fairly inexpensive and are easier to hook up since there's only one vessel and one tap instead of soda water and several syrups to deal with.
Title: Re: Programmable soda.
Post by: Doc on March 30, 2006, 12:36:44 pm
I think there's a point being missed here, to get the flavour evenly distributed, wouldn't it be necessary to shake up the soda? I guess stirring too but who is going to stir a bottle?
I don't want to shake my soda.