The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Doc on March 28, 2006, 08:27:40 am

Title: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Doc on March 28, 2006, 08:27:40 am
Man I just seem to keep seeing gyros (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03282006) everywhere lately.
Sooner or later I'm going to have to try one to find out what they are.

We seem to have seamlessly shifted back into normal Achewood mode: Beef's family is bizzarely poor yet keeping up appearances and Ray is packing 9k in his hatband. Also there will soon be a party.
I'm feeling pretty good about this, it's nice to have some of the old style stuff back.
Note that Beef's goggles are a symbol for this change.

Additional: Yes the title should have been 'This is completely a thing' or 'Ten pounds of lamb at Kronos cafe' or 'Ar'Rosto Beef' or 'I'm the rich guy' or 'Fight-tite elastoband'. I don't want to hear about it, there's got to be some benefits for living over the other side of the world to where all the good stuff comes from and getting to see the strip at a leisurely 6pm and getting a jump on the thread starting when I have a title I like is one of them, plus I like George's stereotypical odd syntax.
Edited for spelling so you don't think me base like an animal. Also pre-emptive title defense.
Title: March 28, 2006 - I'm the rich guy!
Post by: Faze on March 28, 2006, 08:29:57 am
f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 NEW COMIC

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03282006

I'm glad to see, instead of reflective silences, the lively discussions we love and expect from Ar'rosto Beef and Some Guy.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - I'm the rich guy!
Post by: Drastic Action on March 28, 2006, 08:35:33 am
Two minutes and 17 seconds too late!
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - I'm the rich guy!
Post by: weareas1 on March 28, 2006, 08:54:17 am
"our every move is the new tradition"

I love these cats.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: V-Adore on March 28, 2006, 09:30:48 am
I'm not sure whether it's sad, funny, or both that Beef seems to come by his Beegiraffeness honestly.

Wait, I am sure. Both.

The image that this is the new tradition -- i.e., that all Fight partici##### from here on out will take it as their responsibility to fight the Jeeps and raze the Acres -- also suggest terrible glee to come.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Doc on March 28, 2006, 10:11:42 am
Has the ##### filter become more cunning on the new board or was it always this good and I just didn't notice?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: robot_god on March 28, 2006, 11:55:34 am
Me, I woulda went with, "IS WRAPPS" but hey... what can ya do?

Does illustrator have a morph feature?  Uncle George looks like the halfway point between the Ice Cream Shop man and the griddled corn salesman.

You would think that after maiming so many men, the denoument of this arc would be breezy, but the boys have already run into circumstances.  Are more rough times about to come up to these doggz?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: misterqueue on March 28, 2006, 12:03:45 pm
"Crazy Sticks"? But they are also bread.

What marvelous times we live in indeed.

That Uncle George is so real I can taste it.  'Stad certainly has a thing for characterization. 

KRONOS CAFE: WHERE TIME WILL EAT YOU!

I know, cheap mythology joke.  I am sorry about this achewood board.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Golfhaus on March 28, 2006, 12:38:34 pm
I lost it with "You-a the rich boy, or you-a the jerk?" We haven't seen Pat in a hot minute.

And Ramses Luther IS a he-finds-you kinda guy.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: theinevitable on March 28, 2006, 12:42:30 pm
man.
what is this?
people are going to eat?
Beef is from circumstances? Ray has money? I cannot process this information. I need context. Isn't this a comic where dudes fight?

also: "You're the rich guy, or you're the jerk". I think Ray is actually both. Who else would either of those be?

I am wondering why his uncle has ethnic-ness, but his immediate family lives in a trailer park and are in no way ethnic.


also, this doesn't make as much sense now, but when I first woke up and read the strip, I thought to myself "hmm. "Nina" is like the Greek version of "Tina"." For some reason I thought this was a profound thing, and I came up with a whole theory about how Beef is Greek and Ray is Italian;  Beef invented goddamn everything, but Ray will get all the credit. Beef has style and smarts, but Ray will just win at life. The only things Ray invents are new ways to kill people. This is like the Romans, is what I'm saying here.

EDIT: GODDAMN you Golfhaus, I was about to say that same quote. But my post is too long.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2006, 12:55:06 pm
Having pizza and crazy sticks delivered to Beef's uncle's restaurant is the saddest thing.  It is so sad that I can't process what else is going on in the strip, or how the uncle's accent seems a little off, or the thread title, or anything else. I might just have to go back to bed.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on March 28, 2006, 01:52:30 pm
Lets get right to the point, Gyros are amazing and also pronounced "Ur-o". So Doc, you owe it to yourself to go experience one soon. That's right, EXPERIENCE it. Is so Good and is also is Lotto.

This is a sad strip, shut lip and done.
Ray has to leave his dad, Beef's uncles restaurant is essentially closed even when it's open, used to hang out with jerks, stopped ordering the stuff "For What?", has a wife who likes to be alone at the house, and Beef is so embarrassed he wants to solid "Bolt" and leave his uncle is sad times. Thank you Ray. Taking charge and deciding then and there that this WILL be a party and there WILL be merriment come Jeeps or high water jeans!

What would make it awesome is if the whole Achewood gang got invited out there to celebrate. We need another party strip because those are pretty funny.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: CortJstr on March 28, 2006, 01:57:08 pm
Sure, anybody can beat down 2,999 other guys but it takes a real man to beat down a couple thousand guys then take on the jeeps. This will be the new thinking. Each year the jeeps will upgrade to become more powerful. It will be common to go several years with no winner but the jeeps themselves.

I almost expected Uncle George to call Beef Cassandra. I also have that annoying "you lika da juice" SNL skit in my head now.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 28, 2006, 02:27:03 pm
I am convinced that the whole gyro/yee-ro thing is something Greek restaurant owners conjured up to make people feel stupid.  If I order a "jai-ro," the counter guy says "yee-ro."  If I order a "yee-ro," the counter guy says "jai-ro."
EVERY fuck*ng TIME
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: vagittarius on March 28, 2006, 02:29:53 pm
I would like to re-quote

"Our every move is the new tradition"

Out of context sounds like a line from hip hop, but then again Beef is Hip Hop.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Emergent_C on March 28, 2006, 02:30:53 pm
Man, I could go for 10 pounds of lamb right about now. The best lamb I've ever had was at the Greek Fest in New Orleans, and I'm sad that I'm gonna miss it this year because I've finally decided to move to California after losing my house to that fuck*ng hurricane. Mmmm...Greek Fest.

Also, Beef is still young so he still likes jerks.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: robot_god on March 28, 2006, 02:46:39 pm
I am wondering why his uncle has ethnic-ness, but his immediate family lives in a trailer park and are in no way ethnic.

Could be married in.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2006, 03:01:19 pm
I am convinced that the whole gyro/yee-ro thing is something Greek restaurant owners conjured up to make people feel stupid.  If I order a "jai-ro," the counter guy says "yee-ro."  If I order a "yee-ro," the counter guy says "jai-ro."

I have had the same experience.  I figure making sandwiches all day is a crummy job and if fuck*ng with me about pronunciation is the only fun they get to have, they're welcome to it.

Thank you Ray. Taking charge and deciding then and there that this WILL be a party and there WILL be merriment come Jeeps or high water jeans!

Thank you Hobo. This made me feel better.  We all need a Ray in our lives, you know?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: jcreed on March 28, 2006, 04:06:45 pm
Anyone else notice that the black in this strip is actually #333333? Damn, it is a thing, isn't it? A symbolic thing. Like, the world where black is black and white is white just isn't the same anymore.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: jough on March 28, 2006, 04:23:40 pm
Jcreed, we all notice that.  It comes up like twice a week at least.

Around here they call them "year-os" (like cheeri-os) but there's this one greek guy who runs a local pizza shop (a well-kept secret in Philly is that all of the best pizza places are greek rather than italian) and insists that back in the country (Greece) they're called "gear-o's", which kinda splits the difference between year-o and jai-ro.

Well, the uncle has more of an eastern european / Turkish accent than he does Greek, but who knows what Circumstances he's from too.  Maybe he had to live in Turkey for a while after the War.

This one was pretty thick with content.  Lots of hits and lots of misses.  JUST LIKE LIFE.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Drygioni on March 28, 2006, 04:34:34 pm
On the subject of Beef's uncle's ethnicity, has ever there been a strip that explains Beef's ethnic background? Something like Kazenzaki could accomodate the whole spectrum of Eastern Europe. I damn hope he's blood of Polish.

Pretty much repeating already made points, but the characterisation today was fantastic; it's like I've known Roast Beef's ol' Greek uncle for years, and I felt kind of sad he was falling on hard times. Good old Ray the philanthropist, party giver and GOF Champion. (Does he know what a philanthropist is?)
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2006, 04:37:41 pm
We know that Beef's background is Greek.  He talks about it in the cookbook, for one thing. Are you going to tell me that you have not bought the cookbook?  You are making a big mistake.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Drygioni on March 28, 2006, 04:44:45 pm
Cook-book-less. I survive on fast food and have no need for this crazy idea of making your own food out of raw ingredients. In all seriousness though, if I ever got the Achewood cookbook it is probably the one thing that would inspire my lazy mind to start making up some cordon bleu masterpieces.

If it says Roast Beef is Greek in the strips somewhere, I need to do some serious re-reading. Much thanks Wombat.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: pmcd9 on March 28, 2006, 04:59:37 pm
If it says Roast Beef is Greek in the strips somewhere, I need to do some serious re-reading. Much thanks Wombat.

Check the Blogs...

~Paul
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: AugustWest on March 28, 2006, 05:05:18 pm
Hurray!  Achewood is back!
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: idiomsavant on March 28, 2006, 05:08:02 pm
Check the Blogs...

~Paul

Right here (http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2005/04/greeks-and-catholics.html), for instance. Looks like Uncle George is Gramma K's brother.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: CortJstr on March 28, 2006, 05:09:14 pm
Cook-book-less. I survive on fast food and have no need for this crazy idea of making your own food out of raw ingredients. In all seriousness though, if I ever got the Achewood cookbook it is probably the one thing that would inspire my lazy mind to start making up some cordon bleu masterpieces.

If it says Roast Beef is Greek in the strips somewhere, I need to do some serious re-reading. Much thanks Wombat.

Well back in his blog (http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2005/04/greeks-and-catholics.html) Beef explains being both Greek and yet Roman Catholic, not to mention the first mention I know of of [Great] Uncle George. And of course he flat out says he's greek in the cookbook but I can't think of a strip where it's mentioned.

Edit: Dammit, this is what i get for eating lunch
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2006, 05:33:37 pm
It doesn't matter if you cook, the cookbook is excellent reading, much like the blogs. Also it is specifically written for a guy who uses a plate as a cutting board, etc.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Hobot on March 28, 2006, 06:40:07 pm
"Crazy Sticks"? But they are also bread.

What marvelous times we live in indeed.

That Uncle George is so real I can taste it.  'Stad certainly has a thing for characterization. 

KRONOS CAFE: WHERE TIME WILL EAT YOU!

I know, cheap mythology joke.  I am sorry about this achewood board.

Damnit, you beat me to the Kronos/Time reference.  But continuing in this noble tradition, I'd like to point out that the line, "What should we do, man?  This is the time!" directly precedes Beef's first mention of Kronos Cafe.  Also, "I mostly come to the cafe so you Aunt Nina can be alone" reminds me of Aphrodite and Hephaestus.  Coincidence, or over-analysis?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: misterqueue on March 28, 2006, 06:53:47 pm
Damnit, you beat me to the Kronos/Time reference.  But continuing in this noble tradition, I'd like to point out that the line, "What should we do, man?  This is the time!" directly precedes Beef's first mention of Kronos Cafe.  Also, "I mostly come to the cafe so you Aunt Nina can be alone" reminds me of Aphrodite and Hephaestus.  Coincidence, or over-analysis?

*swoons*
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 28, 2006, 07:58:13 pm
reminds me of Aphrodite and Hephaestus.  Coincidence, or over-analysis?

You can read the TOUAMBIES 'worst first effort award' thread to really understand just how potentially frightening this post really is. It could be nominated in the "Echoes of Monkey Punch" award if we wanted to have one. Since Hobot is a hotbot and a non-crap non-dude, no foul....but yikes.

I advise killing this line of conversation as quickly as possible and moving on.

All n00bs, that thread should be required reading in the 'how not to be a crap dude' category.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: AugustWest on March 28, 2006, 08:49:26 pm
It's crow weather...
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: V-Adore on March 28, 2006, 09:07:19 pm
Please, no further references to monkey punch. (Should that be m***** p****?) Thinking about that post still gives me hives. Hiiiives. Even if it didn't compare to the "tell me if you think Onstad is a fat dude so I can properly describe him in my self-insertion erotic Achewood fanfiction" winner of the Worst First Effort thing... gyah!
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 28, 2006, 09:29:48 pm
Please, no further references to monkey punch. (Should that be m***** p****?) Thinking about that post still gives me hives. Hiiiives. Even if it didn't compare to the "tell me if you think Onstad is a fat dude so I can properly describe him in my self-insertion erotic Achewood fanfiction" winner of the Worst First Effort thing... gyah!

Ewww, thanks, a worse memory than M***** P****.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: LCB on March 28, 2006, 10:46:20 pm
I don't like this strip. I would have preferred to see one where Beef and Ray go off road and end up lying under a tree, spending a night looking up at the stars, talking about their feelings and spooning.

And so I'm going to write a fanfic wherein that happens and post it here for everybody to read.

No, kidding of course.

OR AM I? Well, I am.

Kidding that is.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on March 28, 2006, 11:01:06 pm
Are you kidding about not writing it? Because if you do write it, you know how to contact me.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: bonaparte on March 28, 2006, 11:09:17 pm
Ray Smuckles is a wonderful man.  He's also French, check it a while back when Beef told him he can't go around eating a wedge of brie in the manner of pie.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: theinevitable on March 28, 2006, 11:18:37 pm
ok, well
gyros is γύρος . Does anyone take greek? or anything? Transliterating does not help.

If no one has answered by the time I go to bed tonight, I'm writing it out and bringing it to the greek teacher at my school.


although, maybe the pronunciation of letters has changed from ancient greek?

The only comment I can make is that this is the omicron, not the omega, so it should be a short o. "-ross".
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Hobot on March 29, 2006, 12:08:13 am
ok, well
gyros is ????? . Does anyone take greek? or anything? Transliterating does not help.

If no one has answered by the time I go to bed tonight, I'm writing it out and bringing it to the greek teacher at my school.


although, maybe the pronunciation of letters has changed from ancient greek?

The only comment I can make is that this is the omicron, not the omega, so it should be a short o. "-ross".

Apparently the pronunciation of the upsilon in Modern Greek is "ee," whereas in Ancient Greek it could be either that or "oo."  With that in mind, the word should be pronounced something like "gee'-ross."
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Noah on March 29, 2006, 12:12:36 am
hey jough have you ever been to south street souvlaki

i had some gyros there a few days ago (i said yee-ros) they were pretty delicious
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: smick on March 29, 2006, 12:17:05 am
I think the gyro pronunciation debate may be a question similar to inquire v. enquire.  They're variants of the same.

m-w.com has two pronunciations for gyro.  (Three if you include #1, which is geheye-row as in gyroscope or gyrocopter.)

2 and 3 are the food based pronunciations.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?gyro0002.wav=gyro
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?gyro0003.wav=gyro

My suggestion for future smarty-bottoms food correctors:  Correct them back with a third, and nonsensical pronunciation.  For instance - Gee-ree-yow.  Or better yet, explain to them that Emily Post would roll up her sleeves and make them suck an egg.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Ben-San on March 29, 2006, 12:24:45 am
hey jough have you ever been to south street souvlaki

i had some gyros there a few days ago (i said yee-ros) they were pretty delicious

If that is the place I am thinking of they are some pretty tasty gyros. Are gyros one of those foods where if you don't actually do it badly, it's always delicious?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: theinevitable on March 29, 2006, 01:12:15 am
man, I did not realize that the greek letters would completely be destroyed.=

and yes, saying that a nonsensical third pronunciation is right is best.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: LCB on March 29, 2006, 02:28:01 am
...staring up at the Big Dipper, he found himself unable to say what weighed heavy upon his soul.

"It's just...my father man. I had so many questions to ask him...I thought I'd find myself at the GOF, discover who I really am, what I'm really made of but there are just so many more questions I need to answer now..."

"there there, dogg i'm here for you"

Ray wept openly and unashamedly. "I've been to the GOF, but I've never been to me!"

"we gots us a cycle and sidecar Ray and lots of free time. i think we can find you out there on the open road."

Beef clasped his paw over Ray's, behind Ray's glasses he could see his old friend's eyes sparkling with tears.

"we can find the answers...together."

Cont. Chapter 3.

COMMENTS: Well guys, I hope you haven't been too much in suspense. I know some people prefer the comic storyline where Ray and Beef go to get gyros and the same old same old starts all oever again   ::) but I think Ray and Beef deserve better than that. The GOF was a wrenching storyline and I wish Onstad had explored Our Favorite Cats emotional wounds a little deeper. And besides Ray/Beef are soooooooooo cute 2gether!  ;D ;D ;D

Tell me waht you think but no meanie critiscisms plz! :D
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: V-Adore on March 29, 2006, 03:06:36 am
Thank you. I believe I have now stared into the very gaping maw of the Abyss.

I may be the only one, but I'll give you a tiny can for that. Perhaps it will hold off the coming storm.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Hobot on March 29, 2006, 03:13:52 am
Thank you. I believe I have now stared into the very gaping maw of the Abyss.

I may be the only one, but I'll give you a tiny can for that. Perhaps it will hold off the coming storm.

I, too, rewarded LCB's endeavor.  It was a flawlessly executed piece of satire; it delicately perches on the Bough of Irony, above the Pit of Fanfic.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: LCB on March 29, 2006, 03:26:38 am
I'm not proud of what I did, but it had to be done.

Because fanfiction is horrible.

Evidence.

The discovery, while looking up info on vintage TV series on the web, of archives and printed zines featuring erotic Man from UNCLE fanfiction.

Evidence.

Fanfiction.net. Look at it. Just look at it. The thousands of stories devtoted to Harry Potter. The incredibly dedicated, wordy stories devoted to justly obscure shows, books and cartoons. 1984 fanfiction. Mature rated fanfictions devoted to a Japanese kid's cartoon show about hamsters. Kung Fu: The Legend Continues fanfiction.  Homestar Runner fanfiction. HOMESTAR RUNNER FANFICTION

Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Ben-San on March 29, 2006, 03:36:01 am
When I was at the World Science Fiction Convention I attended a panel about crossover between Japanese and American fandom. At this panel was presented documentary evidence of Japanese gay erotic fan comics of Starsky & Hutch from the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 29, 2006, 04:08:04 am
You haven't lived (and by lived, I mean laughed so hard at the Woeful Plight that is being human that you died a little inside) until you've drunk deep of how far the Well of Fan-Fiction Loneliness really goes.

Oh, you can start with something that makes you sort of wish for a second Flood (this time, no exceptions, no damned ark) in an obvious and lurid sort of way, like... the self-insert fiction, the gay-slash fiction, the new made-up character in a large well-defined story-universe where the newcharacter is still somehow very much like an existing character anyway fiction... but that's only the beginning of one's desire to hide in a cave until death's sweet embrace.

You know you're really on The Road to Awful when you get into Crossover fiction... and go deeper and deeper, from crossovers that are almost logical enough to be forgivable... two companies superheroes, say... and into completely nonsensical realms like... Quantum Leap/Ranma 1/2 fan-fiction.

Furry self-insert? Yessir, there are people writing themselves reporting for duty on the Starship Enterprise as Lieutenant Weirdass Fox-Centaur-Thing.

Stories by other people based on minor new characters in some else's six-novel-length self-insert?

Why not have that crossover with someone else's? Perhaps with a were-duck of some kind.

It is, like, this sublime point where you go beyond staring into The Abyss and beyond The Abyss staring back at you and to the point where you can honestly tell The Abyss "Take a picture, it'll last longer."

It is probably the point when you're reading a story written by an obese 34-year-old telemarketer, where he is a half-woman half-hoss, explaining to Captain Picard and Duncan MacLeod what would happen to a Quickening if the Immortal died by phase... and it is suddenly clear:

This is how this fellow prevents himself from taking his own life.

Or maybe I'm just weird.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: jough on March 29, 2006, 05:15:11 am
hey jough have you ever been to south street souvlaki

i had some gyros there a few days ago (i said yee-ros) they were pretty delicious

I think I have, actually.  There are a bunch of Greek places on and around South Street, which is Philly's hipster village (although not where the art scene is - that would be Olde City).

And I guess the literati hang around Rittenhouse Square.  It's all so quaint and cute for those who come from a real city like New York, Chicago, or L.A.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: MattFish on March 29, 2006, 07:57:01 am
Or maybe I'm just weird.

What's the point of writing up an extensive skewering of the fanfiction community if you're going to punctuate it with a possibility that, in fact, you are the weird one? I think that pretty much destroyed any ground you gained.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: robot_god on March 29, 2006, 08:18:41 am
LCB:  Outstanding italicization, above all.





Heh.  Italicization.  Sounds like 'to say something in a bad italian accent.'


Fun fact:  Last week I registered the url baditalianaccent.com.

Um... does anyone know a good place for cheap webhosting?

Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: swinehund on March 29, 2006, 08:31:22 am
This is how this fellow prevents himself from taking his own life.

Somehow, I can see how the autobiographical erotic fanfic might serve this purpose, but I still don't understand what would possess someone to write Mario Kart fanfic (http://www.nintendoland.com/home2.htm?fanfics/mario/mario_kart_super_circuit_1.htm).
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Ben-San on March 29, 2006, 09:33:42 am
Somehow, I can see how the autobiographical erotic fanfic might serve this purpose, but I still don't understand what would possess someone to write Mario Kart fanfic (http://www.nintendoland.com/home2.htm?fanfics/mario/mario_kart_super_circuit_1.htm).

Title: LAS3: Luigi's Eggcellent Adventure (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2730604/1/)
Script format, fan-created characters
Reviews: 9 (all positive)

Selected randomly from fanfiction.net's "Mario" section. That third statistic there indicates the active element involved.

Left unchecked, the results can be epically disastrous (http://www.eyrie.net/UF/).
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: CortJstr on March 29, 2006, 01:48:48 pm
Does it count as fan-fic if it's a public domain work? Like if I were to write a story set in Oz (not involving the movie) it would inhabit some grey area between fan-fiction and canon and that basically scares the hell out of me.

Um... does anyone know a good place for cheap webhosting?

I use Jiffynet (http://www.jiffynet.net) which can be insanely cheap depending on what you need. For example I pay $20 a year.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Drastic Action on March 29, 2006, 04:57:48 pm
What the hell is with fanfiction writers and retarded grammar?  "The dawn of a early morning was half way into the sky ..",  ".. make them have a encounter .."

Apparently spelling is too much, too: "So he lazly got up and perpared for breakfast."

This is with specifically ignoring the subject matter.  Reading too much stupidness at once, who knows what might happen to me.  I will cease clicking those links.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 29, 2006, 06:04:34 pm
...staring up at the Big Dipper, he found himself unable to say what weighed heavy upon his soul.

"It's just...my father man. I had so many questions to ask him...I thought I'd find myself at the GOF, discover who I really am, what I'm really made of but there are just so many more questions I need to answer now..."

"there there, dogg i'm here for you"

Ray wept openly and unashamedly. "I've been to the GOF, but I've never been to me!"

"we gots us a cycle and sidecar Ray and lots of free time. i think we can find you out there on the open road."

Beef clasped his paw over Ray's, behind Ray's glasses he could see his old friend's eyes sparkling with tears.

"we can find the answers...together."

Cont. Chapter 3.

COMMENTS: Well guys, I hope you haven't been too much in suspense. I know some people prefer the comic storyline where Ray and Beef go to get gyros and the same old same old starts all oever again   ::) but I think Ray and Beef deserve better than that. The GOF was a wrenching storyline and I wish Onstad had explored Our Favorite Cats emotional wounds a little deeper. And besides Ray/Beef are soooooooooo cute 2gether!  ;D ;D ;D

Tell me waht you think but no meanie critiscisms plz! :D


Jough, you need to smite this into negative can oblivion.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: swinehund on March 29, 2006, 06:05:42 pm
What the hell is with fanfiction writers and retarded grammar?

I expect that the cavalier attitude towards grammar, spelling, and subject matter are all related, somehow.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: jough on March 29, 2006, 06:45:16 pm
Jough, you need to smite this into negative can oblivion.

Oh, I don't know, Bobby, it's not like LCB was being a cock to a stranger or anything.

Also, why does Noah have negative cans?  Is he totally a crap dude and I just forgot?

Also, my can count seems to be diminishing by one per hour - is someone with a vendetta setting a timer and remembering to come back once per hour just to take away a message board karma token?  Is this really how low some people's lives have become?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: jough on March 29, 2006, 06:46:09 pm
I expect that the cavalier attitude towards grammar, spelling, and subject matter are all related, somehow.

And allow me to bestow your first TCoDP for this.  Also, another for your avatar.

We're just throwing them around today, people.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: misterqueue on March 29, 2006, 06:47:46 pm
Oh, I don't know, Bobby, it's not like LCB was being a cock to a stranger or anything.

Also, why does Noah have negative cans?  Is he totally a crap dude and I just forgot?


From your own Mouth Herr Webmaster. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2656.msg59712.html#msg59712)
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: LCB on March 29, 2006, 09:06:18 pm
I'm not a being a cock to a stranger kind of guy.

But I think it should be said that Webcomic fanfiction isn't the bottom of the barrel. It's being mashed into the ground underneath the bottom of the barrel. So be on guard. You never know when someone with a really fruity purple prose style is going to attempt an Achewood/Megatokyo crossover. Though I think it's safe to say it's not going to be a lonely white teenager who wishes she were Japanese.

 
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: CortJstr on March 29, 2006, 09:20:23 pm
Cartliage Head has already appeared in a medical journal (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=3&issue=3) of Dr. McNinja so that's a fan-fic crossover just waiting to happen.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: swinehund on March 29, 2006, 09:40:34 pm
And allow me to bestow your first TCoDP for this.  Also, another for your avatar.

So happy!
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: FlipConstantine on March 29, 2006, 10:32:40 pm
I gotta get to work on that Ray/Lyle slash fiction yeah?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: jough on March 30, 2006, 12:36:54 am
So happy!

And apparently some asshole took one away.  I gave it back, but some people are just fuck*ng low like a snake.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Jeepers on March 30, 2006, 02:00:40 am
oh my sweet god no

My Little Pony/ Justice League crossover fanfiction. (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/965024/1/)

it is twenty chapters long

I just accidentally ate half of a sheet of paper when I saw this
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: lprkn on March 30, 2006, 02:08:57 am
In light of the circumstances, was it really accidental? Really?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: CortJstr on March 30, 2006, 02:18:11 am
oh my sweet god no

My Little Pony/ Justice League crossover fanfiction. (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/965024/1/)

it is twenty chapters long

I just accidentally ate half of a sheet of paper when I saw this

OK, people have to be activly attepting to horrify us at this point. There's no way somebody could actually have thought this would be a good idea. But then if it was just for shock value, why 20 chapters?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: AugustWest on March 30, 2006, 03:48:31 am
Why 20 Chapters?

Because the story was epic!
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: theinevitable on March 30, 2006, 04:38:32 am
it has to go something like this (I'm going to use my imagination, rather than ruining it by actually reading it):

1. The ponies are in trouble

2. The justice league is hanging out at headquarters, etc.

3. members of the JL have a gay orgy.

4. Members of JL find out that ponies are in trouble. They debate whether to help them. Is it the JL's mission to help a group of superintelligent ponies?

5. they plan out how they will save the ponies

6. they travel to the home of the Ponies

7. They meet the ponies, tour their homes, and the problem is explained. The enemies will be incredibly obvious and cliche'd, but the JL'ers and ponies will be stumped as to how to beat them.

8. two "main" characters, one a pony and, let's say... Batman..., begin fighting. They are both headstrong and reckless. Will they ever learn to work together?

9. One of the young ponies has some kind of personal problem. Most likely: his father does not respect what he is doing.

10. A JL member (let's say superman) helps this young pony. There is journey to the father, and then an emotional fight. The JL member then goes in and talks to the father-- he immediately comes to his senses, and declares that he loves his son and is proud of him.

11. The enemies attack. there is a battle where it turns out that the ponies have magical powers. The Pony hero saves the life of Batman.

12. Batman and Pony hero have gay sex, after a long, overly-emotional conversation.

13. The JL and Ponies plan how to beat the enemies-- they just barely fended them off the first time. They are stumped.

14. A young, inexperienced member of the JL thinks of a way to beat the enemy! However, Batman will not listen to him-- he is "just a kid"

15. The pony hero convinces batman to listen to the kid. probably more slash here.

16. The ponies and JL'ers get ready for battle. They prepare the trick that will allow them to defeat the enemies. This trick is not revealed, yet.

17. One pony begs another not to go-- it's too dangerous! I love you! Steamy, badly written, and repetitive sex scene.

18. The JL'ers and Ponies travel to the enemy. They attack. The final trick is revealed-- once again, this is something incredibly obvious and overused.

19. The trick somehow fails. Is all lost? Suddenly, TheInevitable appears out of the shadows. He is a half fox/half unicorn, and he has the solution-- another highly cliched idea. There is a long and drawn out fight scene, with endless near-losses, only for TheInevitable to suddenly effortlessly win.

20. A huge celebration! TheInevitable is invited to be a member of the Justice league. he has a threesome with batman and superman, and then he is officially initiated in a bizarre ceremony. Everyone loves him.

Anyway... didn't mean to steal anyone's idea. I just thought it'd be interesting to try to come up with 30 chapters worth of stuff.

I'm sorry if this comes across as me trying to one-up anyone. This is meant in a spirit of giving.

edit: Oh my GOD, it's even better than I imagined. The first chapter is about two made-up superheroes getting in trouble with the justice league for stealing oreos.

Also: the reason there are so many chapters is that they're each... maybe a page.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: wombat on March 30, 2006, 01:12:58 pm

edit: Oh my GOD, it's even better than I imagined. The first chapter is about two made-up superheroes getting in trouble with the justice league for stealing oreos.


Um, and it's not, like, a parody?  Well,  now I am definitely not going to ruin it by actually reading it, because that's just lovely as it is.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Gimpson on March 30, 2006, 01:13:10 pm
So happy!

Where did Stuffed Ray come from, anyway?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Lister on March 30, 2006, 01:40:03 pm
edit: Oh my GOD, it's even better than I imagined. The first chapter is about two made-up superheroes getting in trouble with the justice league for stealing oreos.

I'm saddened by this, but:  Those aren't made-up characters... and they actually did steal The Martian Manhunter's Oreos in a published book.  It was funnier there. (http://community.livejournal.com/dc_universe/61912.html)  I didn't read any more of the story.  I am sorry about this.  Nerd fact-checking is hella difficult to suppress.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: misterqueue on March 30, 2006, 02:06:50 pm
I'm saddened by this, but:  Those aren't made-up characters... and they actually did steal The Martian Manhunter's Oreos in a published book.  It was funnier there. (http://community.livejournal.com/dc_universe/61912.html)  I didn't read any more of the story.  I am sorry about this.  Nerd fact-checking is hella difficult to suppress.

That comic was the single saddest thing I have ever read and my life is now diminished for having done so... given the amount of useless info I inhale on a daily basis that's a pretty significant feat.  Congrats on that Lister.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2006, 05:19:19 pm
Oh, I don't know, Bobby, it's not like LCB was being a cock to a stranger or anything.

Also, why does Noah have negative cans?  Is he totally a crap dude and I just forgot?

Also, my can count seems to be diminishing by one per hour - is someone with a vendetta setting a timer and remembering to come back once per hour just to take away a message board karma token?  Is this really how low some people's lives have become?

I was going to say that you might be losing cans because being a cock to a stranger is pretty much your modus operandi, but your tiny can problem seems to have taken care of itself.

Jough is a law unto himself.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: swinehund on March 30, 2006, 05:30:09 pm
Where did Stuffed Ray come from, anyway?

I made him for a friend's birthday. Larger version (http://www.flickr.com/photos/frances_graydon/91993819/)

The lenses in his sunglasses are made from a plastic prune juice bottle.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Ben-San on March 30, 2006, 08:17:45 pm
That comic was the single saddest thing I have ever read and my life is now diminished for having done so... given the amount of useless info I inhale on a daily basis that's a pretty significant feat.  Congrats on that Lister.

Beetle and Booster are awesome, dammit.

The thing about them is that in the late 80s-early 90s, when relentlessly grim and incoherently poorly-written and poorly-drawn characters were the vogue in the comics industry, Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis were given the reins of the then-dead Justice League. What they did was make the title character-driven, with an emphasis on developing distinct personalities for the members and enjoying the interactions between them. There was a significant degree of comedy; Beetle and Booster developed a lasting comedy-duo dynamic, and J'onn was shown to have a fondness (never portrayed by Giffen as an addiction) for Oreos. However, there was very solid writing and dialogue, and the comic was never (or at least rarely) a farce; there were some marvelously creepy storylines, and in general it remained one of the best superhero comics of the period. Many of the DC "second-stringer" characters who had previously been Generic Hero #12 acquired characterizations and personalities under the Giffen/DeMatteis JL that remain the core of the characters to this day (Beetle and Booster included, although Beetle was killed in a recent crappy companywide event.)

All that said, this comic is not part of that excellent run. It is John Ostrander writing an homage of sorts to the Giffen JL, which for the most part is remembered by those who haven't read it as "the funnybook period". One could say that it is supposed to be J'onn playing on that perception of the JLI period to pass off a ridiculous story as true, but basically what it comes down to is that you shouldn't take it as representative of the JLI period.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: wombat on March 30, 2006, 08:20:52 pm
Ben, do you have a PhD in this stuff or what?
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Ben-San on March 30, 2006, 08:24:25 pm
Ben, do you have a PhD in this stuff or what?

I wish. That would make it quasi-respectable and incredibly dorky instead of faintly pathetic and incredibly dorky. I'm just a comics geek who really, really liked the Giffen/DeMatteis JL when it was running.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: V-Adore on March 30, 2006, 11:10:40 pm
Okay, I give up: where is all the discussion of how awesome that stuffed Ray is?

Also, theinevitable, as much as it pains me to remember this, the main flaw in your synopsis is that all of the canonical My Little Ponies were female. There may have been a male one or two as special events, but they're considered dubiously canonical at best.

This is the part of the post where I would typically write "my life is a terrible and hollow lie" in tiny letters, but now that I'm remembering the dude who wrote a novel-length "epic" Pokemon story, set in the dark future, where Ash roamed the wastelands as "Ashura the Assassin" and his Pikachu was black ad could turn into a katana, I feel like a healthy and productive member of society. Thanks, fanfiction!
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: wombat on March 31, 2006, 12:35:05 am
Okay, I give up: where is all the discussion of how awesome that stuffed Ray is?

I have been pondering all day whether to PM offering a huge sum for a stuffed version of Roast Beef, actually. 
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: swinehund on March 31, 2006, 01:00:58 am
I have been pondering all day whether to PM offering a huge sum for a stuffed version of Roast Beef, actually.

Ha! I would have done Beef too if I'd had more time. I've already got the grey velour.

Someone also suggested making a batch of 20 and auctioning them off. I've kind of got a thesis to finish first, though.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: wombat on March 31, 2006, 01:18:44 am
A thesis in what? Unless you're curing cancer, I am sure nothing anyone could write could improve the world more than stuffed Achewood cats would. 

But are there legal issues if you start selling them, I wonder? 

 
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Hobot on March 31, 2006, 01:23:06 am
A thesis in what? Unless you're curing cancer, I am sure nothing anyone could write could improve the world more than stuffed Achewood cats would. 

But are there legal issues if you start selling them, I wonder? 

Probably not if you offer one to Onstad himself for free.  Someone on the (former) LNMAC Dumbrella board made a stuffed Sheriff Pony and gave it to Mr Rowland; he was very pleased about this, as I recall.

But yes, it would be wise to ask Onstad first.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: swinehund on March 31, 2006, 01:45:40 am
Probably not if you offer one to Onstad himself for free.  Someone on the (former) LNMAC Dumbrella board made a stuffed Sheriff Pony and gave it to Mr Rowland; he was very pleased about this, as I recall.

But yes, it would be wise to ask Onstad first.

I mailed him a picture, he said that he would also like one for his birthday, but that's as far as it went. I certainly wouldn't want to try to sell them behind his back.

I am curing cancer.... very indirectly! Also, it's seriously overdue. There's a proverb about this, it went like 'buy a lady's stuffed cats and you feed her for a month, let her finish her degree and you deprive her of several years of adult income' or something like that.
Title: Ray Plushie
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2006, 01:50:30 am
I mailed him a picture, he said that he would also like one for his birthday, but that's as far as it went. I certainly wouldn't want to try to sell them behind his back.

I think the term we are searching for here is 'Licensing Agreement'.  August could you draw the papers for this young lady.  And Swinehund i'd like to preorder 1 of your Ray Models.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: V-Adore on March 31, 2006, 03:25:38 am
I am curing cancer.... very indirectly!

Right on! I love being able to sell my work in terms of what it will eventually do, given twenty years and more funding than technically possible. "Well, we're working on drug addiction... sooort of."
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: theinevitable on March 31, 2006, 03:27:44 am
dang, I totally thought some were dudes.

it ruins it if it can't be Slash.

also: The Stuffed Ray is great. My girlfriend has a stuffed bear, who is actually an otter named Phillipe, after The Phillipe. He talks in a small voice, mostly over the phone.
Title: Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
Post by: Hobot on April 01, 2006, 06:44:38 pm
This weekend, the Smith Science Fiction & Fantasy Society (SSFFS, pronounced "Sisyphus") is holding ConBust 2006 (http://sophia.smith.edu/conbust/).  One of the panels held yesterday (damn, I know, I missed it) was about Slash/Yaoi.  The description in the guide to the Con is "Come and talk about why you love to see boys kissing boys."