The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Mite on March 31, 2006, 10:33:36 pm
-
Howdy folks, sorry I went away. I've been, well, busy....
Let's see, quick update....I'm not a teacher anymore, which is awesome! And I eloped with my now-husband last August, which is even better. And, um, I guess that's about it. Thanks for the nomination for most AWOL poster! It's an honor and whatnot. And thanks to whoever is Nice Pete over at the SDMB for inviting me back. I meant to post, really I did.
So how are y'all?
-
So now that you're married I guess you're not really a Motel 6 kind of girl any more. You're all settled and responsible and shit.
-
The TOUAMBIES have brought another back from the land of wind and ghosts!
Hi, you don't know me, but hi.
-
The TOUAMBIES have brought another back from the land of wind and ghosts!
Hi, you don't know me, but hi.
Well said giraffebulb.
-
Can you see I am serious?!
-
So now that you're married I guess you're not really a Motel 6 kind of girl any more. You're all settled and responsible and shit.
Well, I wouldn't say that.
And now I know you, misterqueue! Nice meeting you. Looks like there are a lot of new folks! Hello new folks!
-
Welcome back, apparently you were missed. I am a relative newcomer, so I never had the pleasure of missing you.
-
Hello Mite! I think it's damn awesome that you used to be a teacher. Education is important for everyone. Anyway, welcome back, though being new I'm not really the one to do any welcoming.
-
So what are you doing instead, fellow former teacher? Mostly we want to know, does it allow you to sit at a computer and type messageboard posts and look like you are working?
-
Hurray! You got my message!
Welcome back, as you can see we need some balance to all the newbies (valued and beloved though they be.)
-
Welcome back, Mite-y one. You'll always be a Motel 6 Kinda Girl to me.
-
Get posting. You have a lot of catching up to do.
Also, welcome back.
-
Thanks for all the welcomes! Yes Wombat, I can post from work now, as I am currently a professional mad scientist. No lie! I work for a company that does fun after school science programs and shows for elementary school kids. I set up the experiments, and make new ones, and train all of our instructors, and do a bunch of other stuff.
I'm taking a couple of math classes at the local clown college now, and hopefully I'll be in grad school in the fall. I'm also working on starting a little research project with one of my professors this summer. Yeaa!
Lets see - pics from the last two years are here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitooples/). There are pictures of the "wedding reception" (though I'd just quit smoking and was a little chubby - I feel the need to qualify that), our cat, our vat of homebrewed beer, and other various and sundry things (like my husband and his silly hats).
I've got my n00bicorn beatin' stick handy - who needs some?
-
I'm also working on starting a little "research project" with one of my professors this summer.
Is that what you kids are calling it these days?
Lets see - pics from the last two years are here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitooples/).
Man, those are some seriously teutonic bar mats. And is that a... flaming... guitar?
I've got my n00bicorn beatin' stick handy - who needs some?
Is the stick reserved just for n00bs?
-
Is that what you kids are calling it these days?
Beaten to the punch by the master. I'm going to start myself a research project tonight.
Man, those are some seriously teutonic bar mats. And is that a... flaming... guitar?
the guitar is on fire because Mighty Mite is Hottt!
Is the stick reserved just for n00bs?
Simmer down Jough.
-
Awesome. It's good to have you back, and it's good to have another mad scientist around! Muwahahaha.
-
Boy is my face red. I have no earthly idea why I put research project in quotes. I gotta quit posting in the morning. Yes, it's a flaming guitar, and it's awesome. I think it needs another touchup, but whatever. The coasters came from my mom (from when she lived in Germany), and they got Boing Boinged!
And the beatin' stick is available for any poster in need of a little punishment. Or am I bluffing?
-
And the beatin' stick is available for any poster in need of a little punishment. Or am I bluffing?
See now this would have be a perfect time to bust out those quotation marks. You would have gotten jough all fired up again, too.
Also, Hello to you Mite. You seem to have a nice cat. I liked those pictures, especially the one of the cat sitting contently on his tower de scratch.
-
Also, Hello to you Mite. You seem to have a nice cat. I liked those pictures, especially the one of the cat sitting contently on his tower de scratch.
Thank you. Don't let the tubbiness fool you, Moggie's a killer. She's from the streets, yo.
And Jough doesn't need any more encouragement. I'd use a winky face here, but those things up there kinda scare me.
-
heyy
I am new. Your happy wedding pictures make me glad. Congratulations on that.
I like the transistor rings. That is love.
When I don't know someone and I try to be friendly, I get all awkward, even on the internet. damn.
-
Yeah, I'm a bit awkward too. But your avatar is fuzzy, so that's awesome.
The resistor rings were a suprise. We realized on Thursday that, if I wanted health insurance without breaking the bank, we would need to get married the next day. We got the license on our lunch break Thursday, and went to the courthouse for the complementary group ceremony on Friday. At 3 pm, August 19th, we were joined together in the eyes of the law by Judge Pinkie Toomer. I was not expecting rings or anything, but my man was off on Friday, and he's mighty handy with electronics and solder and stuff, so he whipped them up. We then celebrated in the stock room of my job (hence all the sciency-looking junk behind us). And, I lived the dream I'd had since childhood - I got married in my Chuck Ts. We honeymooned at the local science museum.
The rings, sadly, weren't all that comfortable, and they have been retired.
I highly recommend eloping for insurance/tax benefits. It's way low stress, with a lot of payoff. I mean, living in sin was great and all, but now we've got all of that fun, plus cheap car insurance. It's a win-win.
-
That is the most romantic story.
And yes, eloping is the only way to go, really. Subvert the wedding-industrial complex!
-
mann, my friend's mom is a Mad Scientist, too. Or at least, she was.
Now she just makes awkward hints that she thinks we're going to date, and then get married. Despite the fact that I have a girlfriend.
But anyway, that is the coolest job in the world. The kids must think you are the "bee's knees".
-
mann, my friend's mom is a Mad Scientist, too. Or at least, she was.
Now she just makes awkward hints that she thinks we're going to date, and then get married. Despite the fact that I have a girlfriend.
But anyway, that is the coolest job in the world. The kids must think you are the "bee's knees".
And/or the "cat's meow."
Hi, Mite! I'm one of those pesky newcomers you'll probably find necessary to get to know, but I have an ace up my sleeve: I am a mad scientist-in-training. What kind of research are you planning to do?
-
Yeah, my job's pretty good. The perils of small-business-running can be pretty serious, though. I don't get to actually teach the children as much now; I mostly work behind the scenes. But doing science experiments with kids is way more awesome than teaching 8th graders. Way more.
My professor does work in commutative algebras and algebraic geometry, so that's what I'll be working on this summer. I want to get my PhD in math, though to be honest I don't really have a chosen subfield yet. I'm still waiting on being formally accepted at this point.
-
My professor does work in commutative algebras and algebraic geometry, so that's what I'll be working on this summer. I want to get my PhD in math, though to be honest I don't really have a chosen subfield yet. I'm still waiting on being formally accepted at this point.
My sympathies; if there's one process I hate in this world, it's graduate school searching. Ye gah.
-
This is where I feel like I did it right. I worked in my chosen field for years and my employer paid for grad school. That way I had a career already and free school, and I got paid while I went to school. Wins all around.
Also, it was fun to make fun of all the grad school students who had no idea how cold and lonely the real world is. Beating the idealistic stupidity out of young 20-somethings is fuckin' entertaining, yo.
-
mann
you're working some rough chuckles these days.
-
Ah, good; it was about time to have my life choices indirectly disapproved of by someone around here. Now I feel just the right mix of ambivalent joy-terror about graduate school. ... Oh, wait, that was there before! Never mind! Carry on!
-
The world needs academics too. Just don't become one of those so heavily campus-insulated academics that you lose the ability to relate to the world outside academia. Those people are sad and comical at the same time. The ones I'm referring to are the public health kids who refuse to acknowledge that there might be really boring, really tough public health work to do with really difficult, really needy people right here in the US inner cities. They'd much rather go to Guatemala and pat little children on the head. That kind of shit infuriates me to no end.
-
The world needs academics too.
Whaa?!
They'd much rather go to Guatemala and pat little children on the head.
Awwww!
-
Whaa?!
Awwww!
I don't get it.
-
I don't either.
Anyway, I almost never participate in these types of threads. But welcome back, Mite! I've been around for a while, but was pretty quiet up until the brand new board for some reason. So you can treat me like a newbie, as long as the beatin' stick is involved.