The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: goldenchurchhill on April 05, 2006, 07:13:19 am

Title: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: goldenchurchhill on April 05, 2006, 07:13:19 am
Now, we drink! We feast!  We spit in the face of death for another day!  BAH!

Great Vlad strip.  It is kind of nice seeing Philippe strips.  So simple, so brilliant.
Title: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: mrchee on April 05, 2006, 07:13:29 am
http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=04052006 (http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=04052006)

Holy shit.... What a fuck*ng strip.  Vlad is a fuck*ng BEAST.  VLAD IS THE MAN AND YOU WILL ACKNOWLEDGE.  SPIT IN THE FACE OF DEATH!@!!111!

This strip is actually.... moving...

BTW:  Vlad has knees.  Liebot doesn't.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: melack on April 05, 2006, 07:25:17 am
I love how Phillipe's necessities for a journey to the transfer station consist of


Love it.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: oball on April 05, 2006, 07:28:41 am
I notice Vlad shaved off the rest of his hair.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Ben-San on April 05, 2006, 07:29:41 am
I would be completely satisfied even if this was a one-off, actually.

Edit: I guess I should say more than one sentence. I kind of feel like the #####s are collectively Phillipe's crazy uncle. Liebot is the crazy uncle when he is saying horrible things, and Vlad is right now the crazy uncle saying things the little man needs to hear.

Edit 2: I think Vlad made pierogies or something to feast upon with Philippe. He seems ready to follow through on that part.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: robot_god on April 05, 2006, 07:42:52 am
Vlad should provide commentary to every strip, like a DVD bonus feature.

It probably couldn't be audio, though, no voice actor would be good enough.

Oh shit.  I think I just invented the future of webcomics.

I should probably delete this post, but actually I guess would prefer to have the idea stolen.  Times are too busy than to get all caught up in voice acting.

Free audio commentary.  Hmmm, bandwidth costs money, doesn't it.  Damn.  I guess I'll just have to wait for the future, after all.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: bonaparte on April 05, 2006, 07:48:57 am
Vlad makes me glad to be alive.  He makes me want to rage against the world and rise up so that I might punch God in his haughty craw, all the while just twisted around the bend on a handle of Aristocrat.

Also, you've gotta love the *THUMP* as Phillipe latches onto the couch, as if he thinks by holding onto it, they'll realize the error of their ways.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Mr. Chord on April 05, 2006, 07:57:43 am
Honestly, after the hit-and-miss of the GOF, the past two strips have been wonderful, as if Onstad has been stalking the coffeeshops of Austin, Texas for the past month and heard my bitching. Probably not, what with the baby. But Lie Bot and Vlad are favored characters for me, and it's been nice to have them back in action.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: misterqueue on April 05, 2006, 10:34:10 am
YaY Vlad!  Boo ongoing Philippe... thing.



That's really all I have here.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Color_Me_Brad on April 05, 2006, 11:23:00 am
Hahaha, Vlad sadly decided to shave off his Taxi Driver hair.

Uh-oh...This strip is not a one-off.

Adventures with Phillipe and Vlad.....Could be cool.

Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: theinevitable on April 05, 2006, 11:28:19 am
Too soon!

Don't get yourself into something big, mr onstad! You might get stuck!
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: V-Adore on April 05, 2006, 11:48:08 am
Vlad and Philippe's designs look so weird to me, although I couldn't say why.

Also, it's nice to see that one automaton actually treats Philippe okay. I can see Vlad and Lie Bot as two halves of the "crazy uncle" equation, really.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: mrdna1 on April 05, 2006, 11:56:15 am
Too soon!

Don't get yourself into something big, mr onstad! You might get stuck!
Maybe it'll be one of those series like when Roast Beef went to the moon and not every strip was about him and his adventures ... that'd probably be a little bit better for everyone involved (unless this storyline is over by the end of the week).
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: BatzRadio on April 05, 2006, 12:02:03 pm
*sniff sniff*

Emeril's new blog...plus...this strip...equals...

Ah, so it'll be Philippe dragged into Trashspotting!

Gimme the cookies now please.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: EgoSumNoah on April 05, 2006, 12:31:00 pm
Archetypes! This strip reminded me of the dead poet society, only I hadn't seen it a-dozen-or-so times. It was really good.

Maybe it'll be one of those series like when Roast Beef went to the moon and not every strip was about him and his adventures ... that'd probably be a little bit better for everyone involved (unless this storyline is over by the end of the week).

I hope so. That would be nice.

What if this story arc actually becomes a rite of passage arc for Phillipe, and he comes out of it a man-otter?
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Roger on April 05, 2006, 12:50:56 pm
Oh no, not Lie Bot again...
Wait, it's not Lie Bot, it's Vlad! ALRIGHT!
Oh no, he lost the Taxi Driver...
But wait, this is his best strip in years! ALRIGHT!

But I gotta say the thread title should be "Be Stronk".

And that I totally agree with this:
Vlad should provide commentary to every strip, like a DVD bonus feature.

It probably couldn't be audio, though, no voice actor would be good enough.

But what about this guy? (http://www.serienjunkies.de/Seriendarsteller/Rade-Serbedzija/Rade-Serbedzija.jpg)
Apparently he's Hollywood's token eastern-European.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: CortJstr on April 05, 2006, 12:54:54 pm
I'm all for cartoon characters with bindles. They're right up there with two diagonal lines to indicate glass as classic inconography.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Lister on April 05, 2006, 01:15:17 pm
When I was little, we had a sofa that I became attached to like this.  But we didn't get rid of it until I was in my teens, so it wasn't so traumatic (plus it stank by then).

Why a sofa and not, say, a bed or chair or something?  I don't know.

And as I was typing that I realized that I still have the chair that sat next to the sofa.  I moved it across the country with me.  I meant to get rid of it but I haven't.  Why?

This is a thing I must ponder.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on April 05, 2006, 01:16:32 pm
Roger I think you may have found the man for the job. At first I too was thinking that nobody could fill Vlad's shoes, nobody! But I'm imagining Rade Serbedzija's (that guy's) voice as Vlad and it seems to fit. Obviously it would need some tweaking but he'll work, alright!


Vlad and Philippe are my favorite characters, always have been. So needless to say this strip was AMAZING to me. Vlad's words spoke more than any human (or alive stuffed animal for the matter) ever could. I related to this strip and had a relationship with it. We're never going to see each other again but it was fun while it lasted. It was definitely a nice turn around from the standard "torture Philippe's brain" sort of strip.


And to anyone who claims "Too much Philippe!" I say draw your weapon at once, Sir! For I demand my satisfaction!
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Doc on April 05, 2006, 02:04:27 pm
When it's phillipe suffering horribly then it's never TOO much.
And make no mistake, though this storyline will be short the suffering will be great.
A sheriff's badge can only get you out of so much trouble bucko.

You can just see the reasoning behind his choices though: You need food so pork and beans makes sense, and you need something to eat it with becuase you weren't born in a barn and you're not meant to go into the drawer with all the forks and knives but the ladle is just hanging right there next to the counter and if everyone knows that your a sherriff (even if you're only a pretend one) they're bound to help you out and do what you say. YAY! HUGGSS!!!!
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Golfhaus on April 05, 2006, 02:33:44 pm
He's taking a can of pork and beans, but no can opener?

This otter wanted to run our nation, people.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: drew on April 05, 2006, 02:43:39 pm
Was anyone else thrown off a bit by Phillipe starting off a sentence with "Saaaaaaay..."? That sort of expression doesn't seem like a normal Phillipe speech pattern. Maybe his is becoming a Man-otter. Or the Kwisatz Haderach. Take your pick.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2006, 02:46:14 pm
I really like Vlad.  I would like to hang out with him and drink some beers or play the banjo.  He is a good fellow.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2006, 02:51:00 pm
I related to this strip and had a relationship with it. We're never going to see each other again but it was fun while it lasted.

What will you say when you run into this strip again at an inopportune moment?

~Paul
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 05, 2006, 03:00:40 pm
Best panel is panel 4.  "They're throwing it away?  Nooo!  NOOO!!"  Priceless.

He's taking a can of pork and beans, but no can opener?

This otter wanted to run our nation, people.

Dude he is an otter, he could just roll on his back, put it on his chest and hit it with a rock.


Or he could use the sherrif's badge.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: smick on April 05, 2006, 03:27:34 pm
And that I totally agree with this:
But what about this guy? (http://www.serienjunkies.de/Seriendarsteller/Rade-Serbedzija/Rade-Serbedzija.jpg)
Apparently he's Hollywood's token eastern-European.

Haha, That's exactly who I always hear when I read a Vlad12Roses strip.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Drastic Action on April 05, 2006, 03:47:39 pm
As for voice acting, that dude would seem good..  but I of course have to suggest Eugene Hutz (http://homepage.mac.com/gogolbordello/iblog/B1231179855/C500651121/E20050807172515/Media/bb2.jpg) (of gogol bordello).
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Crun on April 05, 2006, 04:42:26 pm
Lie bot... Vlad... man, the next one better have some Chucklebot for me.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: jough on April 05, 2006, 04:49:26 pm
It would be really funny if this story arc just ended tomorrow.  It's not a one-off, it's a two-off. 

Otherwise, this strip is mostly setup and letdown.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Hobot on April 05, 2006, 04:58:16 pm
When I was little, we had a sofa that I became attached to like this.  But we didn't get rid of it until I was in my teens, so it wasn't so traumatic (plus it stank by then).

I had a reaction somewhat similar to Philippe's when I was young, but instead of pining over the loss of a beloved sofa, I was heartbroken (as much as a five-year-old can be heartbroken, that is) because my parents got rid of an old stationwagon that we had had all my life (five years is a long time to be alive, you know, when you're five).  I didn't go on a bindle-toting adventure, though; but I did cry as I watched my parents driving the car down the street and out of sight.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Golfhaus on April 05, 2006, 07:09:02 pm
The station wagon we got rid of (I believe I was about 6 or 7) had a middle seat belt that my sister and I referred to as "the snake." Our snake was a friendly snake, though, and I remember feeling sad that we were getting the minivan, and losing the snake. I tried to think of a way to get the snake out to keep him, but alas, he went ALL THE WAY INTO THE SEAT and as such that wasn't possible.

If I remember, I didn't tell anyone about it at the time, since I thought my family would deem it stupid to want to keep a pet seat belt. It was the first time I can remember not sharing anything about my feelings out of fear of being mocked for it.

It would turn out to be far from the last time.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2006, 07:17:48 pm
If I remember, I didn't tell anyone about it at the time, since I thought my family would deem it stupid to want to keep a pet seat belt. It was the first time I can remember not sharing anything about my feelings out of fear of being mocked for it.


/points
//snickers
///laughs
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Mantonio on April 05, 2006, 07:57:28 pm
It was the first time I can remember not sharing anything about my feelings out of fear of being mocked for it.

It would turn out to be far from the last time.

I'd mock you for having a pet seatbelt, except I had a pet piece of green shag carpet when I was six. I named him Jack.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: theinevitable on April 05, 2006, 08:45:52 pm
golfhaus, I think I love you.

I recently had a long semi-fanfic fantasy where I imagined an older Calvin, giving up Hobbes because he got called a fag, forgetting about spaceman spiff, getting beaten up by moe,  still hating school and his parents, and basically becoming a bitter and ruined person.

I thought it was clever at the time, but now I'm a little worried.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Formica on April 05, 2006, 11:32:03 pm
golfhaus, I think I love you.

I recently had a long semi-fanfic fantasy where I imagined an older Calvin, giving up Hobbes because he got called a fag, forgetting about spaceman spiff, getting beaten up by moe,  still hating school and his parents, and basically becoming a bitter and ruined person.

I thought it was clever at the time, but now I'm a little worried.

http://www.metaphilm.com/philm.php?id=29_0_2_0
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: EgoSumNoah on April 06, 2006, 12:47:01 am
golfhaus, I think I love you.

I recently had a long semi-fanfic fantasy where I imagined an older Calvin, giving up Hobbes because he got called a fag, forgetting about spaceman spiff, getting beaten up by moe,  still hating school and his parents, and basically becoming a bitter and ruined person.

I thought it was clever at the time, but now I'm a little worried.

The saddest thing redux:
http://www.bugbread.com/miscweb/calvinretouch.jpg
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: robot_god on April 06, 2006, 01:01:54 am
Yes, I have become attached to many an inanimate object as well, and I have the photographs to prove it.  Couch.  Numerous chairs.  Oscillating fan.  Air conditioner.  Hmm, I think I am noticing a trend.  I still have hell of difficulty throwing away anything.  But those things provided so much comfort.

The oscillating fan was definitely the hardest to part with.  I guess they sort of look like a person, with a head and face that kind of looks around.  Neck and body.



There was a time when I was eating Teddy Grahams with my mother (the ones with icing inside) and she made one speak and walk around.  I could not eat this cookie and it had to placed into a Tuppaware.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: theinevitable on April 06, 2006, 01:17:33 am
ego sum noah--
NOOOOOO
OOOOOOO
OOOOOOO


That is too sad. This..
oh god.
I can deal with imagining it. but seeing it...
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: lprkn on April 06, 2006, 01:29:09 am
I saw that strip, and I died a little inside.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2006, 01:39:10 am
The saddest thing redux:
http://www.bugbread.com/miscweb/calvinretouch.jpg

I think i'm going to cry.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: theinevitable on April 06, 2006, 02:22:17 am
I really want to show my mom, because we both love calvin and hobbes.
but I'm afraid she'd think I was trying to send her a message or something.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2006, 02:22:42 am
The station wagon we got rid of (I believe I was about 6 or 7) had a middle seat belt that my sister and I referred to as "the snake." Our snake was a friendly snake, though, and I remember feeling sad that we were getting the minivan, and losing the snake. I tried to think of a way to get the snake out to keep him, but alas, he went ALL THE WAY INTO THE SEAT and as such that wasn't possible.

If I remember, I didn't tell anyone about it at the time, since I thought my family would deem it stupid to want to keep a pet seat belt. It was the first time I can remember not sharing anything about my feelings out of fear of being mocked for it.

It would turn out to be far from the last time.

Ths thread has taken a turn for the maudlin.  I think you Golfhaus for that.

Here's my family car story.  There wasn't an emotional scene, but I felt a sadness at the passing of my Mothers car.  It was a really beat up 55 Plymouth that she got when my folks were first married.  The cars previous owner was my Dad's Mother.  Of course it was my Mother's car when I was born, I ain't no bastard.  She drove this car until I was about 10 or 11 years old or thereabouts.  What I remember most about this car is that there was a hole in the backseat floorboard.  The  hole was big enough to fit my young foot through which I did on several occasions touching the pavement as it passed beneath the car.  I was unaware of how insanely dangerous that was and my Mother was unaware that I had done it.  It was only when I mentioned in passing at the time of the cars death that that little bit of fun wasn't going to be available to me any longer that my Mother came undone.  I'll just say that I got an education on how reckless I was being and how much pain I could have caused to myself.  The car had a nickname too, Captain America.  How fuckin' cool is that?  And i'm quite positive that my Mother never watched Easy Rider.  After the engine was blown my Mom got a brand new car, a Buick LaSabre, which was a really good car too.  Captain America sat in the driveway for several years then one day my dad sold it to someone he worked with for $100 dollars and the next day they came and hauled it away.  It was in that car that my Mother, my two siblings, I and several teenage girls that were over at the house because my Mother was chaperoning their slumber party; piled into Captain America and drove to the local radio station KEEL in Shreveport where they gave the DJ a bananna split.  I have no idea about the thought process that led to this decision to spontaneously do this thing.  On the way home from the radio station my mother took a wrong turn and wound up going the wrong direction on the freeway.  We almost died that night, but we were so freakin' happy.  What an adventure.  The DJ gave my Mom some promotional 45's.  I can't remember what most of them were, but one was Incense and Peppermints and another was Summer in the City.  It was also in that car that I learned the news one morning on the way to school that the Beatles had broken up.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: jough on April 06, 2006, 03:01:55 am
(http://wordfront.com/images/designs/hobbes.gif)
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2006, 03:05:24 am
(http://wordfront.com/images/designs/hobbes.gif)

What no link (http://wordfront.com/wares/)?

~Paul
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: jough on April 06, 2006, 04:04:08 am
I figured I'd leave that to you, Paul.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2006, 04:18:48 am
I figured I'd leave that to you, Paul.

Damn, I gotta do your work for you and I don't even get a thank you.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: jough on April 06, 2006, 05:12:32 am
I threw a few cans of DP your way.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Mr Bad Example on April 06, 2006, 05:17:58 am
This strip has totally changed my opinion of Vlad. I used to think he was just a one-note placeholder, only good for the occasional throwaway gag. I'd see him in a strip, and I'd think, yeah, yeah, he's a ladies'-man wannabe. But as it turns out, he's a Zorba-esque philosopher king.

Also, "We spit on the face of death for another day! BAH!" is pretty much my new favorite saying.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: AugustWest on April 06, 2006, 06:42:26 am
This strip has totally changed my opinion of Vlad. I used to think he was just a one-note placeholder, only good for the occasional throwaway gag. I'd see him in a strip, and I'd think, yeah, yeah, he's a ladies'-man wannabe. But as it turns out, he's a Zorba-esque philosopher king.

Well said.  I concur.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2006, 12:42:58 pm
My family car story.

I asked my Mother to find a picture of Captain America and this (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/CAP_AM/Captian_America_1.jpg) is what she sent me.  Circa 1957-8 I would guess.  I also copied what I wrote here to her and this is her response:

Quote from: Paul's Mom
Y'all use to drag sticks in that hole in the back and make a noise and I would say what is that noise, and youall would just laugh.  Remember that It had no reverse and had to be careful about where I pulled in cause I couldnt back out. At home all I had to do was roll down the driveway because it was on a recline.  Remember the time I pulled into the school and couldnt back out and pushed with my foot to roll backwards and lost my shoe and Stewart was yelling for me to just leave it because he was so embarrased.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on April 06, 2006, 04:43:48 pm
Yes, I have become attached to many an inanimate object as well, and I have the photographs to prove it.  Couch.  Numerous chairs.  Oscillating fan.  Air conditioner.  Hmm, I think I am noticing a trend.  I still have hell of difficulty throwing away anything.  But those things provided so much comfort.

Have you ever see the movie The Brave Little Toaster (http://imdb.com/title/tt0092695/)? I loved that movie and also had an affection for inanimate objects.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: Drastic Action on April 06, 2006, 06:05:23 pm
That was definitely a movie of my childhood.  Heh..

Oh, and I had this old piece of crap falling apart blue mustang convertible.  Wait, I still do.  It runs like crap, is frigid in the winter but super hot in the summer, the top has to be manually helped up and down because the mechanism is bad, the rear window is just a plastic sheet because anything else we put in it breaks, the back collects water, reverse only works half the time, the tailpipe rattles against the body, etc etc etc.  My sister's boyfriend calls it the Rustang.  I think it's still cool.  I just wish I could rely on it to take me somewhere more than 15 minutes away.
Title: Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
Post by: revdj on April 07, 2006, 03:59:58 pm
I will never forget the conversation I had with my mom when we got rid of our family car.  I was about five or six, and very sad.  Note my mom is a liar.

ME: I will miss our car!
MOM: We will take you to visit it sometimes.
ME: I will miss RIDING in our car!
MOM: Maybe the man will take you for a ride in it someday.
ME: I will miss the WAY THE CAR LOOKS IN OUR GARAGE!
MOM: ... ... I can't help you there.
ME: Waaaaaaaaaa!