The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 09:45:58 pm

Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 09:45:58 pm
What do y'all think about the black & white color scheme?  I like it, but my colorblind spouse can't tell the difference.  Feedback, please.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: ferocious j on August 01, 2003, 09:49:39 pm
I like it.  It seems cleaner somehow.  All that blue; who needs it?  NOT US.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: slink on August 01, 2003, 09:51:28 pm
Yea I like it. Works well with the logo being predominently black.
One thing is possibly, I don't know I think you may have changed it now but just before I noticed in the thread lists the names and such on the darker grey was kinda hard to read, but as I say lookin now it seems fine :S
Well, tis good anyhow!
Title: Re: Colors and lines.
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 10:35:37 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
What do y'all think about the black & white color scheme?  I like it, but my colorblind spouse can't tell the difference.  Feedback, please.

Could you change the color of the quote field? As you can see in this post the actual box is the same color as the darker background posts. Maybe a lighter grey
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 10:54:50 pm
You're right about the quote box.  I'll get right on that.  Any other suggestions?
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 11:21:44 pm
Wow, I am checking out the board on my spouse's Mac and it looks hella good in Safari.  I bet it's nice in Mozilla, too.  What about you Opera folks?
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: ferocious j on August 01, 2003, 11:58:26 pm
[playing] Nobody uses Opera; that's crazy talk. [/playing]

(I actually don't, but maybe somebody out there does ... a crazy somebody)
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 12:00:03 am
I know somebody uses Opera, because I remember somebody bitching about it on Dumbrella.  I just don't remember who it is.  "Somebody crazy" doesn't really narrow it down around these parts.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: ferocious j on August 02, 2003, 12:04:51 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
"Somebody crazy" doesn't really narrow it down around these parts.

::points at jldunston with a shaky caffeinated finger::

 :lol:

(note first use of "emoticons")
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2003, 12:07:56 am
<redneck voice> I could check thangs out with this here A-O-L Inter-dealie if y'all wanted </redneck voice>
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 12:15:43 am
Quote from: "ferocious j"


 :lol:

(note first use of "emoticons")


Oh, mercy.

Who PM'd me and offered to make new Smilies?  Seems like it was Schabe, but since he's my favorite at the moment it could just be my obssessive mind filling in the blanks.  

Anyway, I'll throw the assignment out there.  We have a plethora of emoticon codes to choose from, so I'd like to replace some of the more useless icons (like :arrow:) with little Achewood character faces/heads.  At the very least, we should have Ray, Beef, Vlad, Teodor, Phillipe, Lyle, and Mr. Bear.  

Have at it.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2003, 12:19:10 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Anyway, I'll throw the assignment out there.  We have a plethora of emoticon codes to choose from, so I'd like to replace some of the more useless icons (like :arrow:) with little Achewood character faces/heads.  At the very least, we should have Ray, Beef, Vlad, Teodor, Phillipe, Lyle, and Mr. Bear.  

Have at it.


Todd's middle finger would own as one.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: slink on August 02, 2003, 12:40:57 am
Yea just so you know, it's looking good for me is it doing it in Mozilla.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: V-Adore on August 02, 2003, 01:48:07 am
Quote from: "jldunston"

Anyway, I'll throw the assignment out there.  We have a plethora of emoticon codes to choose from, so I'd like to replace some of the more useless icons (like :arrow:) with little Achewood character faces/heads.  At the very least, we should have Ray, Beef, Vlad, Teodor, Phillipe, Lyle, and Mr. Bear.

How about a Liebot :)? It would be useful as the "I am obviously saying something untrue/being sarcastic" symbol, for those in the board-reading public who may be sarcasm-impaired.

I'd also recommend a Pat :), but I can't think of an emotion it would convey beyond "I'm a dick" and "I just bought a porkpie hat."

... er, anyway, I suspect that's enough suggestions from someone with no graphic-design talent and thus no ability to help with the already-formidable :)-making task.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: AugustWest on August 02, 2003, 02:54:18 am
I'm finding the link color to be exceptionally difficult to distinguish.  I'm good with the color scheme in general, but the medium gray link on the medium gray background just kinda gets lost.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 03:25:24 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'm finding the link color to be exceptionally difficult to distinguish.  I'm good with the color scheme in general, but the medium gray link on the medium gray background just kinda gets lost.


Do you mean it looks like regular text, or that it blends in with the background on your machine?  Because I picked that color to make it look almost, but not quite, like regular text.  

Because I hate people.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: AugustWest on August 02, 2003, 04:16:11 am
Quote from: "jldunston"

Because I hate people.


Well then.  That clears it right up, I suppose.

Not that it matters in light of the above, but me and my weak eyes (killed too many kittens, heh) have trouble distinguishing the links from the regular text.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 04:23:28 am
I don't want to be a bitch, but really I just prefer links and regular text to look the same.  I set my browser preferences to "Hover" so I don't have to look at blue, underlined text.  As such, if this really drives people up the wall, I'll change it, since I don't have to look at it anyway.   However, I really prefer understated, monochrome color schemes, so if y'all think you can live with it I'd like to leave it as-is.  I'm a reasonable person, so if I get lots of complaints, I'll take a poll.  Form follows function, after all.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jough on August 02, 2003, 04:42:27 am
jl, you can create a new theme, like this grey one, without having to delete the extant themes.  That way people can pick which theme they'd like from their profile.

I noticed that all of the link colours were the same, which just drives me up the wall because then I can't tell which threads I've read.  So I made a subtle change.  Of course, now people won't be able to figure out which links are unvisited and which they've visited...
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 04:49:10 am
Fine, fine.  Change away.  But please -- those of you who know my real name, avoid using it...I'm not gonna be all crazy about it, but it kind of freaks me out.

Jough, don't your little new post indicators tell you if you've read a post or not?  Mine do...
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jough on August 02, 2003, 04:52:09 am
The new post indicators only tell you if there's a new post since the last time you visited the forum.

If you sound come in, read only one post, and then log out/close your browser/go home etc., then they won't show as being "new" anymore.

It's not a big deal, but there's no reason really to make all of the links EXACTLY the same colour.

-- Jough Dempsey (and yes, this is his real name)
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 04:56:58 am
But it seems like the same problem would occur with the visited links, etc -- if you change computers or your history has been cleared, you're SOL.  I don't care, it's up to you guys.  This board, contrary to popular beleif, isn't here for my sole pleasure.  And useability (heaven help me for using that word) is more important than my aesthetic eccentricities.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jough on August 02, 2003, 05:01:01 am
The problem is that even on the same computer with the same browser history the server has to change the images on the server-side - so it just keeps track of the last time someone logged in and then changes the icons accordingly.

As I said, it's not a big deal, but usability pretty much just means "making the site as easy to use for as many people without annoying the fuck out of them when they try to go from page to page."

I think that's actually the dictionary definition, but only in Canada.
Title: Opera report
Post by: Choop on August 02, 2003, 02:54:55 pm
Yeah, I'm a little bit crazy, but I *like* Opera, especially for forums. Usually I don't use it, but it's a good alterna-browser for doing things IE just won't or can't, like keeping all the browser windows in one start-bar button without running XP. (hope that triggers some emoticon).

Anyway.

Looks good! Exactly the same as in IE, and I'd test it in Mozilla except for my rule about having no more than two browser programs open at the same time.
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jough on August 02, 2003, 06:27:58 pm
Well, these boards use old fashioned table design - they work in Netscape 4, even, which doesn't mean anything to non-web-designer geeks, but it's a real chore to make sites both look good in modern browsers *and* work in the #1 browser of 1996 (which people are still using).

I used to use Opera but switched to Mozilla for more features and better standards compliance.  Actually, I use Mozilla Firebird, which has a different front-end than the Mozilla Application Suite.

But all works well even in IE, which is known for poor standards support and odd bugs.

I'm sure this is off-topic by this time.  Did JLD fall asleep at the wheel or something? ;)
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 06:43:23 pm
I'm here, I'm here.  This thread has wandered a bit, but it's still interesting, so I'm letting it go.  Either people are self-censoring, or I'm a  lighter touch than the O-Stad.  (Maybe a little of both.)
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: AugustWest on August 03, 2003, 02:30:23 am
Yeah, but WTF does people using your real name have to do with link colors?

--Puddin Tane (go ahead, ask me again...)
Title: Colors and lines.
Post by: andalucia on August 03, 2003, 04:13:00 am
Thumbs up in Firebird.