The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2006, 01:56:30 pm

Title: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2006, 01:56:30 pm
Gene Pitney Dead at 65 (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/06-04/05.shtml)

~Paul
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2006, 09:38:04 pm
No love for Gene Pitney...  anybody?  Town without Pity, Hello Mary Lou, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Nothing?

~Paul
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: jough on April 06, 2006, 10:38:17 pm
I love me some town without pity, and will play some today in Pitney's honour. 

So yeah, he'll be missed.  Not much more to say about that.
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: Mite on April 07, 2006, 01:30:20 am
I thought Town Without Pity was too angsty even when I was angsty, but I like Hello Mary Lou. I'll pour out a glass of whole milk for him.
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: miles on April 07, 2006, 02:41:45 am
Yeah.  A singer I didn't know by name when I've heard him on the radio, but with a voice nearly as beautiful as Roy Orbison's.
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: jough on April 07, 2006, 03:05:14 am
Hello Mary Lou is Ricky Nelson, not Gene Pitney.

But let's give it up for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Town Without Pity, Only Love Can Break A Heart, and It Hurts to Be in Love.

Shall we?

I will be playing some Pitney for the rest of the evening in tribute.
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: miles on April 07, 2006, 03:19:10 am
Pitney sang it too, apparently.
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2006, 04:01:01 am
Hello Mary Lou is Ricky Nelson, not Gene Pitney.

Pitney wrote it.

~Paul
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2006, 04:24:24 am
Town Without Pity always set my teeth on edge, sort of.  It's just a little too too, if you know what I mean.

The rest of his work I'm OK with.  Especially the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.  Good theme song for a good movie.
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: jough on April 07, 2006, 04:35:24 am
The Brian Setzer Orchestra did an amazing cover of Town Without Pity that is on my near-constant rotation.  I think I put it on one of my mix discs for you people.
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: Mite on April 07, 2006, 11:21:31 am
Wow, he wrote Only Love Can Break a Heart and It Hurts to be in Love too? Man, he was like proto-emo. Craziness.
Title: Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
Post by: jough on April 07, 2006, 05:18:47 pm
Seriously, you could use his lyrics interchangeably with many Joy Division songs and NO ONE WOULD KNOW.