The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: swinehund on April 07, 2006, 11:45:58 pm

Title: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: swinehund on April 07, 2006, 11:45:58 pm
I am not just being cruel. You will note the first google hit when you search 'achewood' (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=achewood&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) is of course to achewood, but the description reads:
A cartoon of modern life as lived by a retarded otter, an alcoholic tiger, and two bears.

I assume it's old, because there's no mention of cats.

Still, if Philippe really is retarded, that paints him in a much different light. It's also possible he started out retarded, then became 5 later. These things happen.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 07, 2006, 11:50:04 pm
There's no mention anywhere in official strip "canon" of retardation, and we have his mother's testimony (implied?) that he is in fact 5.  Who knows, maybe he is just a drug baby of some kind.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: miles on April 07, 2006, 11:50:44 pm
He's probably whatever suits the current strip best.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: wombat on April 08, 2006, 01:49:17 am
I am almost positive that that sentence does not appear anywhere on the site, so how does it end up on Google?

Philippe is definitely five. I absolutely deny that he is retarded.  However, I distinctly recall that there's a place in some interview or other where Onstad says something like "I don't know how Philippe came to be the simple one."  I can't find which interview, but that's just too weird a thing for me to have made up so I think it really happened.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: CortJstr on April 08, 2006, 02:54:55 am
I'm assuming that Philippe made the transition from retarded to 5 around the same time that they all could suddenly leave the house without issue and were familiar with liquor.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: jough on April 08, 2006, 03:03:55 am
Yeah, the first year or so the strip definitely was still "finding itself."

And that text is from the very very old meta description text at Achewood.com, which is no longer there but still lives on in Google's infinite memory.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: swinehund on April 08, 2006, 03:52:40 am
I'm assuming that Philippe made the transition from retarded to 5 around the same time that they all could suddenly leave the house without issue and were familiar with liquor.

I think you are correct.

I kind of miss the cats actually being cats, though (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04242002).
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: miles on April 08, 2006, 04:17:48 am
Yeah, those were the days.  It's a little jarring now when I'm reminded in a strip that the cats are actually cat-sized.  Like when Onstad makes an appearance.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: mrdna1 on April 08, 2006, 04:36:52 am
I think you are correct.

I kind of miss the cats actually being cats, though (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04242002).
There's always Beef laying in the corner by the outlet, although I've been known to do the same when I feel like taking a nap but find the floor more inviting than my bed.

edit: I do miss Pat and Ray saying "dig" (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04162002), however.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: nuero on April 08, 2006, 07:19:11 am
PHILIPPE IS SIX, JERKS (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08222005)
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: Nate_Small on April 08, 2006, 07:35:35 am
philippe is a stuffed toy otter.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: wombat on April 08, 2006, 02:42:40 pm
philippe is a stuffed toy otter.

Oh hush.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: jough on April 08, 2006, 06:36:59 pm
PHILIPPE IS SIX, JERKS (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08222005)

No, nuero, that was his fifth birthday... again.

Like Calvin, Charlie Brown, and other ageless cartoon characters, Philippe is and forever shall be five years of age.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: Undertoad on April 08, 2006, 08:29:25 pm
The way he SCHRRRRs down the bank of the creek in panel four of the current strip is exactly what otters do.

The way he DOINKs from rock to rock in panel six is not otter-like at all though
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: swinehund on April 08, 2006, 11:49:48 pm
There's always Beef laying in the corner by the outlet, although I've been known to do the same when I feel like taking a nap but find the floor more inviting than my bed.

edit: I do miss Pat and Ray saying "dig" (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04162002), however.

You know, I never saw that as a cat thing, just as a Beef thing. You're right, though. It would have came through more clearly for me if he had done it on a piece of paper.
Title: I'm sure this has been said, but the subject line is the alt text of TOUAMB
Post by: sammythemc on April 09, 2006, 06:58:43 pm
You know, I have always tried to figure this out as well. It's kind of confusing; you wouldn't think Philippe's mother would let him out of her sight if he was retarded, but then you'd also think the same thing would apply for if he was five. I've been reading this comic since late 2003, and have read the archives through once or twice, and while there is specific mention of the fact that he's five, Onstad hasn't come out and said Philippe was retarded outside of the (very very old) site description. Most of the Philippesque things we see Philippe do in the comic can be explained by just the young age with no retardation heaped on, so we can't conclusively say whether he's 5 or 5 and retarded.
Title: Re: I'm sure this has been said, but the subject line is the alt text of TOUAMB
Post by: ndpatel on April 09, 2006, 08:50:07 pm
he's five. nobody would fuck with a retard the way the dudes fuck with phillippe. it's just not cool. small children, on the other hand, exist solely to entertain.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: littlefox on April 09, 2006, 09:21:28 pm
He's definitely 5. He's actually very intelligent - brilliant, even - for a five year old (at least, in human years) ... I'm basing that on his blog. A retarded person could not write that blog, so I'm going to assume a retarded otter also couldn't.
There's a lot about Achewood that doesn't make sense, and the question Phillipe's age and mental capacity is one question among many. You just gots to go with the flow.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: misterqueue on April 09, 2006, 09:21:51 pm
People people, it's very simple.  Philippe used to be retarded, now he is five.


I am sorry to have to crush your hopes and dreams.  HTH HAND
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: swinehund on April 09, 2006, 10:49:48 pm
A retarded person could not write that blog, so I'm going to assume a retarded otter also couldn't.

I actually do know a retarded person who could probably write his blog, but only earnestly. It would also contain a lot more information about various animals.
I think Philippe was probably 5 by the time he started the blog, though.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: side_show on April 10, 2006, 12:06:22 am
Now, if we want to apply common sense, wouldn't it be the opposite:  He used to be five, then something horrible happened that damaged him in a way that keeps him retarded in a way that keeps him functioning at a 5 year old's level forever?

I'd like to see that strip.

Also interesting (if we instead work with the flexible reality that he is just perminantly five) would be a strip or series of strips that shows the origin of his mother abandoning him and/or the achewood regulars taking him in. 
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 10, 2006, 12:59:48 am
I suppose that the end-game to this is someone writing a fan-fiction "Crisis on Infinite Achewoods" where the early iteration Achewood characters face down with later iteration Achewood characters in hopes of preventing some sort of Cosmic Wackadoo from occurring...

With early probably-more-retarded-than-young Phillipe dying in the arms of probably-more-dirty-dude-than-condescending-jerk Pat somehow, no doubt.

We can only pray that whoever writes it does not self-insert his bad self into the story as, like, Wonderwoman if she were a weremoose with giant furry breasts and antlers or somesuch.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: Jamie on April 10, 2006, 09:26:50 am
Perhaps a five year old otter is an adult. Ray is also five. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01212002)
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: theinevitable on April 10, 2006, 11:33:52 am
that is also the one that says that ray is Neutered.

I thought he was definitely not that cat.


also: so, is winnie the pooh a bear? Because, I always thought "pooh" was a childish word for Bear... but... sometimes he calls him "silly old bear". So why does he also call him a pooh?
I goddamn love winnie the pooh.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: Hobot on April 10, 2006, 11:59:13 am
that is also the one that says that ray is Neutered.

I thought he was definitely not that cat.


also: so, is winnie the pooh a bear? Because, I always thought "pooh" was a childish word for Bear... but... sometimes he calls him "silly old bear". So why does he also call him a pooh?
I goddamn love winnie the pooh.

Have you seen the Russian Winnie the Pooh (http://www.cprf.ru/clipart/misc/winnie_the_pooh.jpg)?  Because it's terrifying.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: lprkn on April 11, 2006, 09:52:52 pm
Silly old медведь.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: Hobot on April 11, 2006, 10:52:07 pm
Silly old медведь.

Or Мишка, if you want to be nitpicky (like me).
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: lprkn on April 12, 2006, 01:12:20 am
I'm not sure of the distinction. Is Мишка a diminutive or something?
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: Hobot on April 12, 2006, 01:15:27 am
It means "teddy bear."  I'm not sure if the Russian Winnie the Pooh is supposed to be a stuffed animal, but the American (Disney) one is.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: theauthors on April 12, 2006, 03:52:52 am
It doesn't mean 'teddy bear', it's simply endearing for 'bear'. There is no such word as 'teddy bear', but if you want to specify that it is a toy, you typically preface it with a material it is made of .. ie. a plush bear. Of course you would use the endearing form when refering to a teddy bear, typically, but it doesn't mean teddy bear.

And the Russian Winnie is so much better than the Disney one, he is kinda witty and sweet, don't be knocking him :(

I think the best english word is 'knuckles', because it is so confusing to pronounce.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: Hobot on April 12, 2006, 04:46:25 am
It doesn't mean 'teddy bear', it's simply endearing for 'bear'. There is no such word as 'teddy bear', but if you want to specify that it is a toy, you typically preface it with a material it is made of .. ie. a plush bear. Of course you would use the endearing form when refering to a teddy bear, typically, but it doesn't mean teddy bear.

And the Russian Winnie is so much better than the Disney one, he is kinda witty and sweet, don't be knocking him :(

I think the best english word is 'knuckles', because it is so confusing to pronounce.

You should come 'round more often; I appreciate the correction (my Russian dictionary is to blame in this case).
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: side_show on April 12, 2006, 04:06:02 pm
Having worked at Pooh Day in the Park, I can assure you there is nothing endearing about that god damn bear.  (Yes, I know we're talking grammer here people, but seriously.  There is almost nothing I could hate more than the Disney version of Pooh, and my horrible experiences working at Pooh Day.)
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: lprkn on April 13, 2006, 02:05:12 am
So it is a diminutive. Ha!

A good English word is undulate.
Title: Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
Post by: doomglobe on April 13, 2006, 03:32:01 am
Doesn't really matter, now does it? That boy is hobo food.