The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Drygioni on April 11, 2006, 08:43:07 pm

Title: The Wall
Post by: Drygioni on April 11, 2006, 08:43:07 pm
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171668,00.html (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171668,00.html)

Now, I'm not in a situation to comment on the policy of a foreign country, but this seems like a VERY BAD IDEA. Large amounts of money spent to keep out people who may (this is debatable, certainly) contribute to the economy. But it does help solve problems such as the accomodation of illegal immigrants and so forth, in theory. You USA chaps and chapettes might want to discuss.
 
If nothing else, it's good for a laugh. (http://wigu.com/overcompensating/2006/04/wall.html)


Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 11, 2006, 09:33:34 pm
Yeah this is pretty much ridiculous.  I can sort of see how people would be in favor of stricter immigration controls (undercuts wages, plenty of exploitation, etc.) But a wall?  Come on.  They tried that, in Berlin.  There were presidents, and doughnuts, I thought we had learned this lesson.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 09:36:56 pm
They tried that, in Berlin.

That wall was meant to keep people in.  Wait a second, are we being tricked here?

~Paul
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on April 11, 2006, 09:49:39 pm
I really can't see the comparison between this wall and the Berlin Wall.

The Berlin Wall was designed by the East Side of Germany and the Soviet Union to keep skilled workers, laborers, and citizens from fleeing the East Side. I wasn't there but I suspect the East kinda sucked compared to the West so people wanted to leave. Maybe get a well paying job, eat and overall live a decent life. This wall that may go up between the US and Mexico is designed to keep Mexican citizens OUT of the US because the US government doesn't want them for whatever various reasons.

As for my opinion on it...hmm. I guess crossing the boarder from one country (Mexico) to another (the United States) is illegal and this wall is preventing people from breaking the law. If the Mexicans really want to join our country they can sign up right? Become citizens? Or is the US no longer excepting people? I don't know these things!

But on the other hand I wouldn't be here if the US had walls on all sides blocking illegal aliens. So I'm not sure of my stance yet.

((edit: Damn! Paul was quicker AND wittier! Double Damn!))
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: misterqueue on April 11, 2006, 09:54:34 pm
I really can see the comparison between this wall and the Berlin Wall.

 I wasn't there but I suspect the East kinda sucked compared to the West so people wanted to leave. Maybe get a well paying job, eat and overall live a decent life.


Fixed that for you.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 11, 2006, 09:55:29 pm
I really can't see the comparison between this wall and the Berlin Wall.

The Berlin Wall was designed by the East Side of Germany and the Soviet Union to keep skilled workers, laborers, and citizens from fleeing the East Side. I wasn't there but I suspect the East kinda sucked compared to the West so people wanted to leave. Maybe get a well paying job, eat and overall live a decent life. This wall that may go up between the US and Mexico is designed to keep Mexican citizens OUT of the US because the US government doesn't want them for whatever various reasons.

It was a Joke!  Also, while we're on the issue, the in-out difference doesn't seem too significant to me, there's a wall people want to get over it because they find what is on the other side desirable.  But that's not relevant...

*To Mr. Q, the man with the faster internet fingers, I give a toast.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: acoxcae on April 11, 2006, 09:56:40 pm
Any wall trying to keep people OUT of somewhere is, at the same time, trying to keep them IN somewhere else - it's the definition of a wall.

Anyway, this idea is a little bit too ludicrous for me to even talk about, unless there's a vote - then I'll let my antiquated manual punch do the talking for me.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: Drygioni on April 11, 2006, 10:04:03 pm
This is completely true: In East Berlin during the time of the wall, pole vaulting classes rose to record high attendances. Strangly enough, lots of people went 'missing', presumed capitalist. Mexico, stand up and take notice.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 11, 2006, 10:38:47 pm
You want to see some people get treated bad? You should see the border control on Mexico's southern border. People die trying to get to Mexico so that they can cross to 'El Norte'. Mexico not working with the US to prevent border crossing is a pretty silly double standard; it's a testimony to Mexico's economy that it would nearly collapse without all the Yankee dollars, both legally and not legally earned, that return to Mexcio.

A wall that size doesn't make sense. It'll just get tunneled under, they already continuosly build smuggling tunnels for drugs and people. We need better enforcement of current employment and immigration law first, then a legitimate way for deserving people to become US Citizens. If the constant flow across the border is eased, it will be easier to enforce the border itself.  Economically, it's gonna hurt some US businesses but the border situation as it is makes it easy for drugs and people from all over the world with all kinds of intentions to come in.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: Hobot on April 11, 2006, 11:00:06 pm
I, for one, am disappointed that this is not a thread related to Pink Floyd.  Way to let us down, Judy.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: Drygioni on April 11, 2006, 11:06:47 pm
For you, Hobot:

USA border control application process (http://www.alekino.pl/download/multimedia/tapety/200510/PinkFloydTheWall_1024.jpg)

Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: Hobot on April 11, 2006, 11:17:23 pm
For you, Hobot:

USA border control application process (http://www.alekino.pl/download/multimedia/tapety/200510/PinkFloydTheWall_1024.jpg)

Thank you.  I am appeased.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 01:06:25 am
Did I mention where I Work (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/LIFE_IN_UTAH/IMAGES/1024/DSCN11310-E-S-1024.jpg)?

~Paul
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: lprkn on April 12, 2006, 01:19:53 am
Although Mordor is in the US, I think we could establish that it isn't the whole of the US.

Just Utah.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 01:24:45 am
Although Mordor is in the US, I think we could establish that it isn't the whole of the US.  Just Utah.

I don't know where you live Porkin, but I can guaran-goddamn-tee you have a plant just like that in your vicinity.

~Paul
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: theinevitable on April 12, 2006, 02:03:11 am
dang, man.

I love how even though I've read every post on this thread, every time I see it I want it to be about Pink Floyd. And for a split second, I think that it is.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: lprkn on April 13, 2006, 02:27:42 am
I don't know where you live Porkin, but I can guaran-goddamn-tee you have a plant just like that in your vicinity.

There is a paper mill (http://www.forestinfo.org/Teachers/2004/irtt/Images/potlatch.jpg) 30+ miles away. Not only does it look like Mordor, it smells like it, too.
Title: Re: The Wall
Post by: pmcd9 on April 13, 2006, 02:45:55 am
There is a paper mill (http://www.forestinfo.org/Teachers/2004/irtt/Images/potlatch.jpg) 30+ miles away. Not only does it look like Mordor, it smells like it, too.

Man you don't have to tell me about a paper mill.  I spent two weeks in one.  The smell reminds me of burnt black eyed peas and whiskey.  Which was particulary painful when I had to go to work there on New Years Day (hungover).

~Paul