The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: oball on April 13, 2006, 07:02:29 am

Title: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: oball on April 13, 2006, 07:02:29 am
So it looks like the freaky people aren't evil after all (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04132006).

Still, I don't blame Philippe for running.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: jough on April 13, 2006, 07:07:04 am
Well, they may or may not have done something bad to the little Otter, but wouldn't YOU run away from these freaks?

Also, they are not blind.  They are liars.

Nice darkness art here.  Nice foreshadowing of the transfer station, though.  Obviously Philippe will inadvertantly run there now.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Emmoh on April 13, 2006, 07:13:31 am
I don't get the impression Phillipe is running away from them.

They left first.

It didn't seem like there were any other ways out, I'm guessing he's chasing after them.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: ananke on April 13, 2006, 07:14:22 am
Panel 9 is absolute terror.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 13, 2006, 07:18:50 am
The Swampmen. They talk sort of how the characters in "Dark Crystal" would talk if they were trying to explain the movie "Eraserhead" to each other... or maybe how the characters in "Naked Lunch" would explain the movie "Labyrinth" to each other. It's one or the other. I'm only certain that Muppets are involved. So good.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: bonaparte on April 13, 2006, 07:25:37 am
they are simple, salt-of-the-earth, down-on-their-luck type folk.

who just happen to terrify five year old otters in their spare time.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: oball on April 13, 2006, 07:44:29 am
Philippe was close to the marsh, though.  Looks like Geology Greg was right!
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: cellardoor on April 13, 2006, 08:04:25 am
Please, they collect the giblets and other discarded viscera of the hobos etc that fall into the trash.
They then either eat or wear this gunk or perhaps construct crude object d'art with it.
Either way, blind "collectors" are not to be trusted.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: otter on April 13, 2006, 08:29:12 am
Maybe they collect little lost animals?
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: misterqueue on April 13, 2006, 09:01:08 am
Philippe's nosemouth looks like a keyhole in the dark.  It makes me want to put one of those old steel keys in it and turn until I open up his childish little head.


That's really all I have to say today.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Jeepers on April 13, 2006, 10:59:55 am

Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone

MEH
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Drygioni on April 13, 2006, 11:05:33 am
Philippe's nosemouth looks like a keyhole in the dark.  It makes me want to put one of those old steel keys in it and turn until I open up his childish little head.


That's really all I have to say today.

Wow, you too? I think for maximum comedy/horror effect, the key should turn once, click, and then his skull splits apart into four quarters and the brain pops out into the air. Just saying.

I liked the white on black style art today. Very moody. I think they collect manure.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: cellardoor on April 13, 2006, 11:59:45 am
JudyIsADickSlap!
That made me larf. Have a can of Dr Pepper....
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: misterqueue on April 13, 2006, 12:35:34 pm
Wow, you too? I think for maximum comedy/horror effect, the key should turn once, click, and then his skull splits apart into four quarters and the brain pops out into the air. Just saying.

I liked the white on black style art today. Very moody. I think they collect manure.

In my mind, when I twisted the key in Phillippe's head it opened like a Chinese puzzle box.  Inside was a tiny tiny Elephant who would dance for 5 quid.  (Is that a reasonable price for tiny elephant dances on that side of the pond?  I do not know; I hated economics and can barely balance a checkbook.  Also pounds sterling to dollars conversion is basically like arcane witchraftery to me.)

Later, Ray would come by and skewer the tiny elephant for a kebab of some sort (with a spicy rosemary lemon sauce).  I will stop as my imagination is bordering on fanfic now.  Don't listen to me people.  I have Problems (http://www.i-got-problems.com/).
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Drygioni on April 13, 2006, 12:47:21 pm
In my mind, when I twisted the key in Phillippe's head it opened like a Chinese puzzle box.  Inside was a tiny tiny Elephant who would dance for 5 quid.  (Is that a reasonable price for tiny elephant dances on that side of the pond?  I do not know; I hated economics and can barely balance a checkbook.  Also pounds sterling to dollars conversion is basically like arcane witchraftery to me.)

Later, Ray would come by and skewer the tiny elephant for a kebab of some sort (with a spicy rosemary lemon sauce).  I will stop as my imagination is bordering on fanfic now.  Don't listen to me people.  I have Problems (http://www.i-got-problems.com/).

Five quid? You're having a laugh, mate. Our pounds are so incredibly powerful merely one would be enough to witness some pachyderm ballet.

Perhaps: the head splits into quarters and the brain pops out, THEN a tiny elephant rises out of his neck on a platform. Ray takes said elephant, and makes it into the proverbial shish kabob. Phillipe (having made a recovery) joins the meal, and in his kebab... there is a tiny little trunk. He is traumatised.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: misterqueue on April 13, 2006, 12:53:39 pm
Five quid? You're having a laugh, mate. Our pounds are so incredibly powerful merely one would be enough to witness some pachyderm ballet.

Perhaps: the head splits into quarters and the brain pops out, THEN a tiny elephant rises out of his neck on a platform. Ray takes said elephant, and makes it into the proverbial shish kabob. Phillipe (having made a recovery) joins the meal, and in his kebab... there is a tiny little trunk. He is traumatised.

EEEeeend scene!

Huzzah to you my friend.  Huzzah.


So, back to the topic for the benefit of everyone else's eyes: Achewood is pretty good stuff huh?
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: spex on April 13, 2006, 01:57:18 pm
Any strip with a reference to huffing is okay by me.

I find it oddly moving that Phillipe refers to the couch as his "friend." But, oh God, oh God, oh God, he should just RUN HOME NOW.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Roger on April 13, 2006, 02:05:59 pm
I think I'm glad the aesthetically challenged duo (couple?) didn't turn out to be cannibal underground hobos like those from Ronin.
For now...
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: mrdna1 on April 13, 2006, 02:53:49 pm
There's something about today's strip that I just don't like, but I can't quite put my finger on it ... I think it may have to do with the way the art is just inverted B+W instead of being the usual "lots of shadows and subtle detail" thing.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Gimpson on April 13, 2006, 03:32:10 pm
There's something about today's strip that I just don't like, but I can't quite put my finger on it ... I think it may have to do with the way the art is just inverted B+W instead of being the usual "lots of shadows and subtle detail" thing.

This strip will be hell of wasteful of ink in print form.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Drygioni on April 13, 2006, 03:39:02 pm
There's something about today's strip that I just don't like, but I can't quite put my finger on it ... I think it may have to do with the way the art is just inverted B+W instead of being the usual "lots of shadows and subtle detail" thing.

Can't see shadows where there ain't no light, boy.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: mrdna1 on April 13, 2006, 03:55:00 pm
Can't see shadows where there ain't no light, boy.
Can't see white outlines where there ain't no light either.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Drygioni on April 13, 2006, 04:07:14 pm
... touche, Mr DNA. Come to think of it, today's strip with only speech bubbles, the rest completely black... ohhhh shiiiiit

The transfer station. I'm thinking of a situation similar to the bus terminal in Closing Time: all junkies lying in corners, defecation out in the open. Probably (please no) not any rape. Then again, Achewood IS 18 plus. But don't tell anybody.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: wombat on April 13, 2006, 04:23:57 pm
Judy:  I hate to ruin your lovely mental image, but in the US, the 'transfer station' is a garbage dump.  Think about it: Why would they have taken the old sofa to a bus terminal?
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: littlefox on April 13, 2006, 04:36:28 pm
... touche, Mr DNA. Come to think of it, today's strip with only speech bubbles, the rest completely black... ohhhh shiiiiit

I admit, it bugs me when cartoonists do that, unless it's just to make a joke or take a day off. If you can draw, draw.
And the white outlines still look cool sooo it's ok with me.

Also, Phillippe is totally running after them. I would get the crap out of there. But maybe he just wants to find the couch.

Questions:
how could they go "collecting" if they were blind? I assume they only found Phillippe 'cause he was making noises. Maybe they collect other things which make noise, but that's lame.
What's with the "trash" theme? (Trashspotting and "collecting")
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Hobot on April 13, 2006, 05:10:47 pm
I was a bit disappointed that Stumpy McNo-Legs didn't have a more interesting manner of speech.  Maybe his lanky sidekick will.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2006, 05:54:20 pm
Eh, I dunno. This could be awesome, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Maybe the GOF has just gotten my hopes up too much about Achewood arcs with creepy character designs. Once you've gone Latino Health Crisis, you just can't go back!
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2006, 06:26:45 pm
Once you've gone Latino Health Crisis, you just can't go back!

This made me realize that while Latino Health Crisis is a great name when kicking ass and/or taking names it's not exactly crafted for picking up The Ladies. It makes him sound like a PSA. Or possibly a filmstrip that Corporal Klinger would complain about having to watch again.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: mrdna1 on April 13, 2006, 06:47:06 pm
Questions:
how could they go "collecting" if they were blind? I assume they only found Phillippe 'cause he was making noises. Maybe they collect other things which make noise, but that's lame.
What's with the "trash" theme? (Trashspotting and "collecting")
I don't think it's "collecting" so much as "homeless guys wandering around where there's lots of old junk", but I'm almost positive that there's some trashspotting link lying in wait.

Which means there'll probably be no mention of trashspotting outside of Emeril's blog for the next few months.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: jough on April 13, 2006, 08:04:18 pm
I like to think of the collectors are like the collectors in the second Gaiman Sandman story arc.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Cynicar on April 13, 2006, 11:08:14 pm
I don't think it's "collecting" so much as "homeless guys wandering around where there's lots of old junk", but I'm almost positive that there's some trashspotting link lying in wait.


That was actually one of my first thoughts as well.

This strip didn't exactly jive with me either.  I think it's something with the dialouge moreso than the art?  Possibly the way that Phillipe's innocent jabber completely fucks with the creepy mood Onstad is trying to set?  I dunno.

I don't quite buy that the Swamp Dudes are all innocent.  Mostly because I don't actually think that they're blind.  Not sure why though.  Maybe because Pigman seemed to communicate with NoFace via pointing in the last strip. 
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: EgoSumNoah on April 14, 2006, 12:29:17 am
Cynicar - your avatar's hair looks cockish.

Isn't there an unwritten rule that people deformed beyond a certain point are either evil toadies or (more often in the super-deformed spectrum) good guys? Think mutant toys in Toy Story. Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Elephant Man. It's totally an archetype, a terrible face and a heart of gold.

Anyhow, these particularly deformed creatures don't seem shallow enough to be pure good, but I don't think they're evil.

Why does everyone keep referring back to the GOF as if it raised the bar? It dragged on, like the Stoned Ray sequence. It lacked good action and substance during the actual fight.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: lprkn on April 14, 2006, 12:48:19 am
I like to think of the collectors are like the collectors in the second Gaiman Sandman story arc.

Watch out for their eyes.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: misterqueue on April 14, 2006, 12:49:30 am
Or your skin.  Or people wearing leather ties.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: jough on April 14, 2006, 05:20:49 am
Yeah, the tall one is totally like the Corinthian.
</comic-geekery>
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Doc on April 15, 2006, 03:01:16 pm
The Elephant Man.

I think this is a case of it happening the other way around: We assume the elephant man was a nice guy *because* he was super-deformed. Dude was probably a dick, kept making everyone listen to his bible fan fiction.

Somehow the tall one doesn't work as the corinthian for me but the fat one on the wheelchair for some reason reminds me of dog soup.
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: theinevitable on April 16, 2006, 06:03:14 pm
"hm. Sandman. The second one was... was that the one in the diner? No... it was... OH MY GOD PHILLIPE RUN!"
Title: Re: April 13th, 2006 - They fall in among the trash and become it and are gone
Post by: Cynicar on April 17, 2006, 08:43:50 am
Cynicar - your avatar's hair looks cockish.


Are you perchance referring to its ears?  Or the spattering on the top of its head?