The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Limmo on September 10, 2003, 06:16:31 pm

Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: Limmo on September 10, 2003, 06:16:31 pm
I'll stop dancing around my kitchen in a state of idiotic glee just long enough to post this link:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-09/10.shtml

   Yippeeeee!!
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: jough on September 10, 2003, 07:11:24 pm
It's been too long.  Don't get excited.  It could really suck.

Look what happened to Janes Addiction.  JUST LOOK AT THEM.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: jay-ell on September 10, 2003, 07:12:22 pm
Quote from: "jough"
It's been too long.  Don't get excited.  It could really suck.

Look what happened to Janes Addiction.  JUST LOOK AT THEM.


Yes, they lost their apostrophe and everything.  The horror!
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: slink on September 10, 2003, 07:57:57 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

Yes, they lost their apostrophe and everything.  The horror!


*sniggers*
Well, I actually quite like some of Strays. It's certainly nothing compared to the first three, which were phenomenal and classic albums, Nothing's Shocking just being downright seminal!
Pixies, could be scary. Their last album wasn't my favourite (those being Doolittle and Surfer Rosa) but it was still good stuff.
So let's say I'm not getting my hopes up, and I won't be devestated or let down if the new stuff sucks, but there's always hope.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: Limmo on September 10, 2003, 08:01:03 pm
Oh, believe me, I fully understand that the dancing around my kitchen could ultimately be the most happiness I get out of this.  Reunions are always a dicey proposition at best.

But they've all grown as musicians in their time away from the band, and if Kim is actually allowed to sing and contribute songs again, I don't see how it could completely suck.  ( And I think that Trompe le Monde is a gigantic tsunami of ass-kick, myself, but I seem to be alone )

The thing about Jane's is: all the great songs that made us love them were written in one huge creative gush before their first album came out, even the good stuff off of Ritual.  And since everything they've done as solo artists was, um, not redolent of goodness, I'm not surprised that there were no hooks on this new album.  

Look, there's never going to be a Replacements reunion, so this is the next best thing.  I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: slink on September 10, 2003, 08:13:08 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"

But they've all grown as musicians in their time away from the band, and if Kim is actually allowed to sing and contribute songs again, I don't see how it could completely suck.  ( And I think that Trompe le Monde is a gigantic tsunami of ass-kick, myself, but I seem to be alone )


Don't get me wrong - Trompe Le Monde is ass kickingness! But when I put one of their albums on, it tends to be Doolittle or Surfer Rosa. Thus I kind of think those must be my favourites.
And yes, if Kim gets her chance again it will be sweet - delightful voice!

Quote from: "Limmo"

The thing about Jane's is: since everything they've done as solo artists was, um, not redolent of goodness, I'm not surprised that there were no hooks on this new album.


Well, I did hear a great bit of Perry Farrell solo - King Z of his last solo album. Some of that album was great actually. Dropped off in general for the second half, but it was way better than I expected.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: FeeReep on September 25, 2003, 05:38:06 am
I'll bet there is a lady dancing around in her radiator.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: jough on September 25, 2003, 05:44:46 am
I was offline so I missed most of the threads and am just letting them pass.

I'll just say that a Pixies reunion warms my heart but I'm not expecting much.  I'll still go see them live, though.

And "Trompe le Monde" is my favourite Pixies album, and one of my favourite albums of all time.  I like that Space-Punk sound, I guess.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: Choop on September 25, 2003, 05:48:31 am
Add one more vote for Surfer Rosa, if you please.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: Nabubrush on September 26, 2003, 08:04:28 am
I so much liked "Come On Pilgrim" better than any of their other stuff. However, I did like their other stuff.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: side_show on September 26, 2003, 04:41:13 pm
Quote from: "FeeReep"
I'll bet there is a lady dancing around in her radiator.


Ha, ha!  

Where I come from there's always music in the air and the birds sing a pretty tune!
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: Limmo on April 19, 2004, 04:46:02 pm
So far, sounds promising (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/wearetheworld/04-04-19.shtml).

Anybody know where I can get files of this stuff?  I did a Kazaa search on a friend's computer and found nothing.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: andalucia on April 19, 2004, 08:39:59 pm
I've heard the reunion performances have been pretty great but I wouldn't doubt that there's an OMIGOD OMIGOD THE PIXIES element to it.  I'm definitely going to do everything in my power to go see the Toronto show (although that's in November, and my then I'll be here (http://www.mcgill.ca/) (hurrah!).

And I'm on that team that thinks Trompe le Monde is mediocre by Pixies standards.  Which are, of course, much higher than the standards for regular music.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: jough on April 19, 2004, 08:52:45 pm
Huh.  Trompe le Monde is my favourite Pixies album, and one of my favourite albums of all time.

It seems to break down that most people who bought them as they came out liked Trompe the best.  Those who came into them post mortem like Bossanova or Surfer Rosa.

All good albums, of course.

So can anyone find those MP3s of the new live stuff?  No luck here on gnutella or eDonkey.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: Limmo on April 19, 2004, 09:47:26 pm
Quote from: "jough"
It seems to break down that most people who bought them as they came out liked Trompe the best.  Those who came into them post mortem like Bossanova or Surfer Rosa.

All good albums, of course.


I went to UMASS, so naturally I'm biased.  I thought the common wisdom was that Bossanova was their worst album.

Whatever, it's all water under the bridge now.  I saw them on the Doolittle tour, but I wouldn't mind another shot - as long as it's within driving distance, and not at a festival.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: andalucia on April 19, 2004, 09:53:35 pm
Quote from: "jough"
It seems to break down that most people who bought them as they came out liked Trompe the best.  Those who came into them post mortem like Bossanova or Surfer Rosa.


Meh.  If you can remember the eighties, as I like to say, then you weren't there.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: jough on April 19, 2004, 10:12:14 pm
I was just checking to see if anyone was paying attention.

Yeah, Bossanova is awful.

Doolittle, however, rocks the cock.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: CortJstr on April 19, 2004, 11:53:29 pm
I like Death to the Pixies!

Seriously though, it's nice that the Purple Tape and B-Sides are getting a wide release now.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 20, 2004, 03:19:33 am
Here's where you can get some loving...

MP3 torrent:
http://pj.sidewalkcrusaders.com/tracker/details.php?id=171

FLAC torrent:
http://pj.sidewalkcrusaders.com/tracker/details.php?id=173
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: pmcd9 on April 20, 2004, 04:54:46 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "jough"
It seems to break down that most people who bought them as they came out liked Trompe the best.  Those who came into them post mortem like Bossanova or Surfer Rosa.


Meh.  If you can remember the eighties, as I like to say, then you weren't there.


Just hold on one minute young lady.  I'll not have you appropriate that cliche.  It's the 60's you either can't remember or weren't there.  The 80's you can't remember I guess because it was just a pretty boring ass decade.

~Paul
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: Limmo on April 20, 2004, 05:18:16 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Meh.  If you can remember the eighties, as I like to say, then you weren't there.


 :ohbrother:
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: andalucia on April 20, 2004, 11:30:37 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Just hold on one minute young lady.  I'll not have you appropriate that cliche.  It's the 60's you either can't remember or weren't there.  The 80's you can't remember I guess because it was just a pretty boring ass decade.


Blast!  Must the baby boomers own everything??
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: wombat on April 20, 2004, 11:40:44 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Just hold on one minute young lady.  I'll not have you appropriate that cliche.  It's the 60's you either can't remember or weren't there.  The 80's you can't remember I guess because it was just a pretty boring ass decade.


Blast!  Must the baby boomers own everything??


Yes they do dammit.  But don't let Paul fool you.  If he doesn't remember the 60's it's because he was in grade school at the time.
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: Limmo on April 20, 2004, 04:40:20 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
If he doesn't remember the 60's it's because he was in grade school at the time.


Just like Andalucia was in the eighties.  Let's stick to decades we actually took part in, OK people?  Christ.

::shuffles back into darkness in search of coffee::
Title: Pixies reunion
Post by: wombat on April 20, 2004, 04:55:59 pm
Hear hear.  Which would mean NO talk about the 60s, which would be excellent.

(Pass me some of that coffee, Limmo.)