The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: evan on May 03, 2006, 06:26:26 am

Title: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: evan on May 03, 2006, 06:26:26 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05032006

Not sure I get it... was the missle a dream or is Ray just in shock from having blown up Phillipe? Did Teodor push Ray out of Airwolf in the last panel?
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: Mr. Chord on May 03, 2006, 06:40:19 am
I think Ray's in shock (at having possibly blown his otter pal to bits), and Teodor just moved him to switch places.

Hm - I think Ray passed out, as well. You normally don't say "wake up" to someone in shock, but then again, you do say it to folks daydreaming or just plain out of it.

Or maybe Ray was replaced with a dummy, and the helicopter's a prop, and this is all some odd Cartilage Head performance being pulled on Teodor.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 03, 2006, 06:44:42 am
Yea, but what does the last panel (or frame, I dont know the proper word.  Regardless, the part about the painted styrofoam) mean.  I don't get it.

The alt-text means it is real, I think.  Nielsen would have made a better computer. 



Ray has to have some type of sleep deprivation by now as well.  He probably ordered Airwolf, then went to go pick it up right away.


Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 03, 2006, 06:53:16 am
Teodor's reaction to the explosion (the movement lines about his ears, the shocked eyebrows) suggest that it "happened" but... if Ray's whole headset was fake, how could he give the voice commands in the first place?

That suggests that he's hallucinating or at-least zoning out into his imagination because, as it was established in an earlier strip, the cat is clearly cheeched. Or, I suppose, doing the opposite of fugeing. The rare anti-fuge.

I got nothin'.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 03, 2006, 07:05:37 am
That suggests that he's hallucinating or at-least zoning out into his imagination because, as it was established in an earlier strip, the cat is clearly cheeched. Or, I suppose, doing the opposite of fugeing. The rare anti-fuge.

He has been known to hallucinate when he is too stoned.


How would he know about Philippe?
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: Ben-San on May 03, 2006, 07:11:48 am
Airwolf can hear you just fine without a mic. Ray just thought he really should have a headset.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: melack on May 03, 2006, 07:13:40 am
The cat in the thong is wearing a pretend headset.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: Doc on May 03, 2006, 08:28:41 am
Yeah, I thought set-up at first but I think the discs are really just because Ray can get ripped off even on Platinum Reserve. Either Phillipe really is dead (which would be kind of cool, he'd get to go hang with Blister) or the missile, like the headsets, are fake because Airwolf is a prop FROM A TV SHOW. Ray just hasn't picked up on this yet.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: cellardoor on May 03, 2006, 08:51:24 am
And the prize for needless complicating of an otherwise straightforward web comic goes to...

Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: MrCB on May 03, 2006, 10:30:31 am
And the prize for needless complicating of an otherwise straightforward web comic goes to...

Oh come on... this was never an otherwise straightforward web comic.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: cellardoor on May 03, 2006, 11:07:44 am
Missile fired, cat in catatonic shock at killing young otter, Bear discovers headset is non-functioning prop.

Come on people!
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: theinevitable on May 03, 2006, 11:30:52 am
I am not so sure what is going on here.
I suspect phillipe will pop up in a few panels, saying "what just knocked? did something knock?"

or some other thing.

he will get so excited about getting a ride ina  real helicopter. they will never explain to him that they thought they killed him.

POUF is not the sound of something exploding.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: mrdna1 on May 03, 2006, 11:38:01 am
And the prize for needless complicating of an otherwise straightforward web comic goes to...
Here, I made a simplified version just for you:
(http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/2307/ache05rm.gif) (http://img478.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ache05rm.gif)
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: oball on May 03, 2006, 11:39:12 am
Pure awesome.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: MattFish on May 03, 2006, 11:42:54 am
Here, I made a simplified version just for you:

yeah, this doth win

As for the comic, I don't really know what's going on. I mean I saw what happened, but I don't know what is going on.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: cellardoor on May 03, 2006, 12:17:43 pm
Sigh.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: misterqueue on May 03, 2006, 12:27:24 pm
Yeah man I don't even know here, but I like it... I think.


Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: Hobot on May 03, 2006, 12:46:11 pm
Yeah man I don't even know here, but I like it... I think.

You would, wouldn't you?
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: CortJstr on May 03, 2006, 12:59:44 pm
You would, wouldn't you?

Yeah, Q is totally a disaffected member of Generation X who hates Philippe because that's the character that The Man wants us to like. Q likes anti-heroes that play by their own rules and buck athority.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: misterqueue on May 03, 2006, 01:01:37 pm
I feel neither highs nor lows.

"What's that like?"

Meh...
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: V-Adore on May 03, 2006, 01:03:56 pm
Man, if I had expected anything from you in response to this plot element, Q, it was a riotous beer-and-skullfuck*ng session in celebration. You've disappointed me.

Also, mrda1: you, sir, are rad.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: misterqueue on May 03, 2006, 01:05:22 pm
Man, if I had expected anything from you in response to this plot element, Q, it was a riotous beer-and-skullfuck*ng session in celebration. You've disappointed me.

Also, mrda1: you, sir, are rad.

But I don't really drink...  beer?


(The implication here is that I fuck skulls though, I guess?)
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: Lister on May 03, 2006, 01:10:31 pm
I can understand that the headphones are styrofoam, because really, there is no one to talk to when you are in Airwolf.  There is no one that can give you anything you don't already have, and anyone else in the air either can't catch you, can't find you, or will be shot down.  You do not need to actually talk to them, because hearing "Checkmate, comrade" just before you blow up is not going to help you in any way.

I am mystified by the rest of this comic, but in a sense I lost all rights to anything making sense once the cartoon cat had a hit recording and threw parties catered by an alive stuffed bear and attended by *****s.  This could all be a hallucination, or normal life could just return with no explanation, or Old Man McGreely could pull off the mask and be Spongebath.

Ultimately, though, we're missing the real point here, and that is this:

The theme from Airwolf was awesome.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: theinevitable on May 03, 2006, 01:31:05 pm
we need to do mrda1 versions of every storyline.

"This "Great Outdoor Fight" Utterly confounds me"
"we know Roast beef, who knows about it"
"he and Ray are fighting in it"
*panel of ray and beef, stone cold fighting*
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: Doc on May 03, 2006, 02:48:21 pm
But then we'll get newbs who don't read the archives complaining they want to know what arc the original drum manual comic is explaining.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: mrdna1 on May 03, 2006, 03:03:22 pm
But then we'll get newbs who don't read the archives complaining they want to know what arc the original drum manual comic is explaining.
It's from Teodor's first attempts at home recording ... unfortunately, the pre-October 2001 archives were lost in a server crash and few ever saw that storyline.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 03, 2006, 03:12:32 pm
But then we'll get newbs who don't read the archives complaining they want to know what arc the original drum manual comic is explaining.

It's about cartilage head right?  Right?  I'm so right.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: doomglobe on May 03, 2006, 04:51:37 pm
Teodor's reaction to the explosion (the movement lines about his ears, the shocked eyebrows) suggest that it "happened" but... if Ray's whole headset was fake, how could he give the voice commands in the first place?

Ebay orchestrated the entire thing, keith moon's head has been controlling airwolf this entire time. When the phillipe-coors-lite-cyborg rises from the ocean to fight keith-moon-airwolf, it will be an epic battle and probably half of tokyo will be crushed in the process.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: spinn on May 03, 2006, 05:06:39 pm
I can understand that the headphones are styrofoam, because really, there is no one to talk to when you are in Airwolf.  There is no one that can give you anything you don't already have, and anyone else in the air either can't catch you, can't find you, or will be shot down.  You do not need to actually talk to them, because hearing "Checkmate, comrade" just before you blow up is not going to help you in any way.

That's a great Achewoodesque explanation of that.

But about the comic, what's the confusion? Why are people resorting to "it was all a dream" explanations when it's obviously that the missile is a prop missile meant to look like an explosion? (A real one would've been much more KERBLAMMO than POUF.) And Ray's locked up because he's thinking he just killed Phillipe, when really he probably just woke him up.

Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: Drygioni on May 03, 2006, 05:16:09 pm
My word! Phillipe's dearest mother was right: now that Phillipe isn't cute anymore, Onstad has killed him off! A lifetime awaits of drugs, celebrity commercials and reality TV for young Phillipe.

Ray, airsick from the Airwolf-prop and wasted on a 'booster shot', forgets his lines. Teodor bravely soldiers on to make the first cut so he can leave the set to present the 73rd TOUAMBIE awards. Infuriated, Onstad throws down his script and walks off to his trailer, roughly pushing a young stagehand carrying a bucket of paint. The hapless man drops the bucket, causing paint to spill all over Onstad. 'YOU'RE FIRED! GET OFF MY SET!' yells the now-multicoloured director, and the stagehand runs off in tears. Teodor mutters 'screw this for a game of soldiers' and promptly leaves, stopping only to cadge a cigarette from the semi-concious Ray.

And this is why we get those 'Strip Returns Friday' messages.   
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: pez on May 03, 2006, 05:43:09 pm
Here, I made a simplified version just for you:

Do we get a new Freezepop song?
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: lprkn on May 03, 2006, 06:07:36 pm
Some stuff that was awesome.

A can! A can for the man!
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: Hobot on May 03, 2006, 06:20:36 pm
Ebay orchestrated the entire thing, keith moon's head has been controlling airwolf this entire time. When the phillipe-coors-lite-cyborg rises from the ocean to fight keith-moon-airwolf, it will be an epic battle and probably half of tokyo will be crushed in the process.

Damn, poor Tokyo is always getting Sci-Fi-Shafted.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: mrdna1 on May 03, 2006, 06:49:31 pm
Do we get a new Freezepop song?
No ... sadly, I have neither boobs nor electronic drums. :-[
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: theinevitable on May 03, 2006, 07:22:26 pm
hm.
I keep reading that as "Ebony orchestrated the entire thing"
and I think "why do they hate Phillipe? Did he make a racist joke one time that I didn't notice?"
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: Drygioni on May 03, 2006, 07:35:29 pm
hm.
I keep reading that as "Ebony orchestrated the entire thing"
and I think "why do they hate Phillipe? Did he make a racist joke one time that I didn't notice?"

Phillipe is basically a dude who thinks the President of Mexico has a dirt floor on his plane and eats tacos. 'Teodor, why are black people so dirty?' doesn't sound too far off, most unfortunately. The innocence of youth. Sigh.

After examining the strip, I can make a bet that Phillipe isn't dead.

Evidence: No bits of stuffed animal flying everywhere
              No BOOOM (POUF just ain't happening)
              It was Lie Bot all along, and #####s don't die, it seems. (Though they do have a god)
              The Mannlicher-Carcano rockets used could not have been accurate at such a distance

Then again, the LJ feed was titled 'Ray Kills Phillipe', which sounds pretty definitive.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: wombat on May 03, 2006, 07:47:50 pm
DAMN you Judy, I found the sound effects reassuring till I read your post and it made me think.... POUF is the sound of a stuffed animal exploding!

Maybe Philippe will find a girlfriend in Heaven and all will be well?
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: pez on May 03, 2006, 08:25:11 pm
Then again, the LJ feed was titled 'Ray Kills Phillipe', which sounds pretty definitive.

However, if Philippe is forever gone, then where does Ultra Peanut fit into this? Will her love somehow bring him back from the dead? That's right, fans. What we are seeing is the Achewood equivalent of Matrix 1.

Lie Bot is obviously Cypher.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: mrdna1 on May 03, 2006, 08:31:09 pm
However, if Philippe is forever gone, then where does Ultra Peanut fit into this? Will her love somehow bring him back from the dead? That's right, fans. What we are seeing is the Achewood equivalent of Matrix 1.

Lie Bot is obviously Cypher.
If Philippe really does die, I think we'll see another venture to Heaven/Hell and perhaps even a lead-in to the Molly Creation Story alluded to here (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01022006).

And chicken.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: theinevitable on May 03, 2006, 08:47:13 pm
WHO ATE MY DANG NACHOS!
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 03, 2006, 09:48:32 pm
here (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01022006).

And chicken.

That pirate is totally smoking a bubbler, not a pipe.  Damn, now I have to get high, but I have a paper to write.  Onstad and his subtle mind control.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: CortJstr on May 03, 2006, 09:56:12 pm
If Philippe really does die, I think we'll see another venture to Heaven/Hell and perhaps even a lead-in to the Molly Creation Story alluded to here (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01022006).

And chicken.

It would mark the first time we've seen a stuffed animal die all the way. Which I why I don't see it happening.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: theinevitable on May 03, 2006, 10:02:17 pm
Quote from: KeefHernandez
That pirate is totally smoking a bubbler, not a pipe.  Damn, now I have to get high, but I have a paper to write.  Onstad and his subtle mind control.

dude, no

that pirate is stone-cold shooting himself in the mouth.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: evan on May 03, 2006, 10:28:39 pm
dude, no

that pirate is stone-cold shooting himself in the mouth.
Damn, now I have to commit suicide, but I have a paper to write.  Onstad and his subtle mind control.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 03, 2006, 10:45:09 pm
I mean, you should still go get high dude.  Like, for real.
Title: Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 03, 2006, 10:50:49 pm
dude, no

that pirate is stone-cold shooting himself in the mouth.


I saw what I wanted to see I guess.  Well, I am already high, can't take the mind control back now.