The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: robot_god on May 04, 2006, 05:27:01 am

Title: Electric razors
Post by: robot_god on May 04, 2006, 05:27:01 am
I've been using an electric razor to shave my neck for probably four years now, and whenever there is a formidable job to get through, it gives me razorburn real bad (I just got it real bad... so friggin' red).

Does anyone know of any tips to avoid this?  It basically seems like there is no way to avoid this.  Has anyone used that one that cums gel all over?




Man, it is so terrible.  I should stop using it, but it's just so efficient.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: AugustWest on May 04, 2006, 05:44:01 am
Use a real fuck*ng razor.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 04, 2006, 06:04:49 am
Use a real fuck*ng razor.

Real men use bowie knives.

But in all honesty, I have not found a single solution for razor burn.  I've tried all kindsa girly scented lotions too.  Looks like I just have to deal with it untill I am man enough to actually grow a beard.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: Doc on May 04, 2006, 06:09:28 am
I have to go with AW on this one, I switched to a non-electric razor from an electric shortly after I started shaving and even without any gel it's much less irritating. I'm not a hairy guy either I only shave every second day or so.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 04, 2006, 06:38:28 am
I've just been noticing...

Is it freaking facial hair week here?
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: theinevitable on May 04, 2006, 11:04:43 am
dude I hate shaving so much.
so much.

it is the bane of my existance. I never remember to do it. and then when I do, there are little patches all over the place.
it hurts my face.
but I hate taking the time to do it in a reasonable way.

I was hoping that maybe there was such a thing as an electric razor that didnt' suck. I guess not.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: misterqueue on May 04, 2006, 11:34:51 am
Shaving?  What's that?


(Okay lies.. I have to do it like.. once a week for the 4 or so hairs I actually grow..)
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: jough on May 04, 2006, 11:47:43 am
Yeah, people with thick growth can't use electric shavers, because, oh, I don't know, electric shavers give them RAZORBURN REAL BAD.

Also, you'll never get as good of a shave with an electric.  Remember that slogan "Shaves as close as a blade, or your money back"?  Yeah, that's as close as a blade - but they're liars.  The implication, though, is that most electrics do NOT shave as close as a blade.  I'm sorry to say that in the 20+ years since that Norelco, electric razor technology has not improved to any measurable degree.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: CortJstr on May 04, 2006, 12:59:31 pm
I use an electric because I'm super lazy. Both kinds give me razor burn because I have thick a thick beard and sensitive skin. But you face gets used to an electric after about 60 days so it's not as bad and using one takes about 2 minutes. Using a real razor always takes me like a half-hour because there's all these spots on my neck that and the sides of my chin that absolutely refuse to be smooth.

Since neither option actually leaves me with a good shave I go with the faster and (in the long-term cheaper) option of the electric.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: acoxcae on May 04, 2006, 01:57:44 pm
I'd been using an electric (Braun 6xxx?) for a long time until recently, when the screen tore and I haven't bought a replacement.  I love the electric, but apparently I have skin of steel, since I don't have razorburn problems with the electric - but I do with blades.

However, while my electric has been out, I've switched to blades, and evaluated about 5 different kinds - it turns out that creepy vibrating razors do actually help, but the difference in closeness between 3, 4, and 5 blades is immeasurable.

As to the original question, what kind of electric do you use?  One of those useless 3-rotor kind?  What you need is one with the straight foils that pivots in 3 axes and is slightly flexible.  My Braun was pretty nice, and has worked well for over 4 years - and it'll continue working well as soon as I feel like buying a new screen for it.

Unfortunately, razors aren't the kind of thing you can take for a test-drive in the store.  They should be.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: Drygioni on May 04, 2006, 03:54:26 pm
I am going to have to start shaving soon. I do not want to. If any of you manly men have any tips on how not to cut yourself in the face multiple times, or such like, you won't regret it.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: wombat on May 04, 2006, 05:05:07 pm
  What you need is one with the straight foils that pivots in 3 axes and is slightly flexible. 

There are electric razors that pivot?  I have never seen such a thing. It sounds like something that would be useful for the ladies.  I have always suspected that the difference between mens' and ladies' electric razors is simply that the ones they make for ladies suck, but I have never been brave enough to buy a mens' and test the hypothesis.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: acoxcae on May 04, 2006, 05:16:26 pm
There are electric razors that pivot?  I have never seen such a thing. It sounds like something that would be useful for the ladies.  I have always suspected that the difference between mens' and ladies' electric razors is simply that the ones they make for ladies suck, but I have never been brave enough to buy a mens' and test the hypothesis.

Heck yes!  My electric has 3 foils in the head, and the whole head pivots widthwise, and each individual foil pivots lengthwise.  It works really well, except for a few hairs which like to grow against the grain.  As for lady razors being terrible, you're correct there.  Apparently, the moisturizing strips and stuff are better on women's razors, but as far as actual shaving ability, men's razors rule.  If your skin's up to it, try out a men's model.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: wombat on May 04, 2006, 05:45:18 pm
Damn, I knew it.  Who gives a &*%^ about moisturizing strips?  I do not care if my knees are moisturized.  I care if they make me look like a five years old with cuts all over them or else like a stubbly chimpanzee.  I need more choices!  Because oh yeah, the guys really love those stubbly chimpanzee knees.  Grrr.

Well perhaps next time I will bravely have someone manly go and buy a electric razor for me then.  Thank you for the Education.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: V-Adore on May 04, 2006, 05:58:43 pm
I've recently been seeing ads for a women's vibrating razor. My first thought was, well, not exactly suitable for non-Q minds, but my second thought was: "what is the possible purpose of this product?" Can anyone explain this to those of us who still use analog razors?
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: wombat on May 04, 2006, 06:05:46 pm
I've recently been seeing ads for a women's vibrating razor. My first thought was, well, not exactly suitable for non-Q minds, but my second thought was: "what is the possible purpose of this product?" Can anyone explain this to those of us who still use analog razors?

Yeah, my first thought is also that it's good for, um, multitasking, for those too embarassed to buy a specialized device.  And I can't come up with a second thought.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: acoxcae on May 04, 2006, 06:14:12 pm
I was wary at first too, but then I thought about it - it's a little bit like using a serrated knife.  The blades may get stuck in a hair or a particularly dense clump, and the vibrating action sort of cuts through it.  For average shaving, like a lady's legs, it probably does nothing special.  But on my face, after two or three days' growth, it's a serious help - I tested the regular Mach 3 side-by-side against its non-vibrating cousin, and it seriously works.

Initially, I was very concerned about it vibrating straight through my jugular, but I've discovered that's just another unfounded fear.  Come to think of it, that's another question - how are you people cutting yourselves?  I could see if you're using a straight razor, but with safety razors, unless you're dragging it sideways, there's basically no way to do it.  I could see knees, maybe, they're kinda knobbly - but I've got the area around my nose, and the chin, and I've never cut myself.  Maybe I'm just particularly adept.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on May 04, 2006, 06:15:03 pm
I've recently been seeing ads for a women's vibrating razor. My first thought was, well, not exactly suitable for non-Q minds, but my second thought was: "what is the possible purpose of this product?" Can anyone explain this to those of us who still use analog razors?

I use a vibrating Mach 3 turbo thing made by Gillette. I don't think the effect works quite as they propose (micro pulses raising the hairs!!) it really just makes the razor cut smoother. It seems to glide easier or something. It does seem better than a normal mach 3 though I don't know why.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: misterqueue on May 04, 2006, 06:15:59 pm
I've recently been seeing ads for a women's vibrating razor. My first thought was, well, not exactly suitable for non-Q minds, but my second thought was: "what is the possible purpose of this product?" Can anyone explain this to those of us who still use analog razors?

Everything thought from my mind is suitable for everyone.

Oh.. maybe not that one...


or that one...

Oooh.. that one's-  I'll uh.. save that for later.

Carry on then.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on May 04, 2006, 06:18:29 pm
how are you people cutting yourselves?

I wonder this as well. I've never cut myself while shaving except for the times when I use a dull head and it rips the hairs out rather than cutting them. And that's just a little spot of blood. I've never had a gusher.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 04, 2006, 06:31:56 pm
I am going to have to start shaving soon. I do not want to. If any of you manly men have any tips on how not to cut yourself in the face multiple times, or such like, you won't regret it.

I won't regret it? What, there's a reward?

Here's my advice: grow your beard and you won't cut your face. Alternately, shave carefully and you won't cut your face.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: wombat on May 04, 2006, 07:10:15 pm
But the knees, Dawg, what about the knees.

To clarify, even I do not cut my knobbily knees with the electric razor. It's that I have a choice between a device that tends to do bloody damage and a device that only 'shaves' under a somewhat loose  interpretation of the word.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: theinevitable on May 04, 2006, 08:03:12 pm
hmm.

I find that it helps to shave in the shower.

but mostly for saving time. because then you don't have to worry as much about cream, getting hot water, etc... just put your face to the stream and shave.

although based on comments some people have made, apparently I should be in Hell of Pain for shaving without shaving cream.

also: it seems to make the razors run out faster. or else, it's the lack of shaving cream? or I just have thick facial hair?
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: Ben-San on May 04, 2006, 08:08:50 pm
I have to agree on the effectiveness of Dawg's "grow a beard" methodology. Grow a full, lush beard and look like a Gentleman.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: jough on May 04, 2006, 08:15:23 pm
I shave in the shower, and just use soap rather than shaving cream.

I only have to shave about every other day, though, although I get stubbly faster in the summer.

I can't grow a beard for shit, though, I just look like Homer Simpson if I skip a few days.  My hair never really seems to grow beyond Stubble.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 04, 2006, 09:44:04 pm
I won't regret it? What, there's a reward?

Here's my advice: grow your beard and you won't cut your face. Alternately, shave carefully and you won't cut your face.
But the knees, Dawg, what about the knees.


Shave your face and you won't cut your knees.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: lprkn on May 04, 2006, 10:17:35 pm
I have to agree on the effectiveness of Dawg's "grow a beard" methodology. Grow a full, lush beard and look like a Gentleman Ted Kaczynski.

The truth.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: theinevitable on May 05, 2006, 01:05:04 am
the theory I have heard is this:

grow a full beard. develop a reputation as a hirsuite man.

and then, abruptly shave it off. the ladies will be Agog at your "baby soft skin," will feel all over your face, etc. plus they will want to get in maximum cuddles before you grow back a scratchy beard.

I have the feeling that my beard would be robust and uncontrollable. I may test this theory, as well as the one articulate above, once I am no longer at a school with a dress (and grooming!) code.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 05, 2006, 01:10:02 am
the theory I have heard is this:

grow a full beard. develop a reputation as a hirsuite man.

and then, abruptly shave it off. the ladies will be Agog at your "baby soft skin," will feel all over your face, etc. plus they will want to get in maximum cuddles before you grow back a scratchy beard.

I have the feeling that my beard would be robust and uncontrollable. I may test this theory, as well as the one articulate above, once I am no longer at a school with a dress (and grooming!) code.

Good Idea (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=76)

Also, your school has a grooming code???  Good lord, what won't they do?
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: CortJstr on May 05, 2006, 01:11:03 am
I have the feeling that my beard would be robust and uncontrollable. I may test this theory, as well as the one articulate above, once I am no longer at a school with a dress (and grooming!) code.

And you follow it? Pussy.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: Hobot on May 05, 2006, 01:19:10 am
Good Idea (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=76)

Also, your school has a grooming code???  Good lord, what won't they do?

I keep forgetting how much Jeph's art has improved over the years.

Don't worry, theinevitable, the boys' school affiliated with the school I went to also had a grooming code.  The lads weren't even allowed to dye their hair "unnatural" colours.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: theinevitable on May 05, 2006, 01:20:52 am
it's more one of those things where they don't enfore it until they're mad at you about something else, and then they slap that on you as well.

basically it amounts to: no wierd piercings, no unnatural hair colors, no facial hair. no "excessive" hair length.
plus: no clothes that are fun.

and yes I follow it. except when I forget to shave for a week at a time.
most of the teachers ignore it, except this one asshole who keeps telling me to tuck my shirt in. he told me today that if he has to tell me again, he's sending me to THE DEAN. Which means I will get an "unexcused abscence." As a senior, this means that I would have to take my final exams. Which I do not want to take.

I hate him. I hate him to HELL.

It doesn't help that he and his wife are the two ugliest human beings I have ever seen. They are, I think, the only people I feel no moral qualms about mocking. I feel bad for not feeling bad, but... egh. He looks like an anal retentive asshole. i tried not to judge him. but, guess what!

anyway, yeah. we have a Dress and Grooming Code. Unfortunately/fortunately, it is essentially not applied to the girls. for a few reasons, I think.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: CortJstr on May 05, 2006, 01:26:17 am
That sounds like the teacher at my school who stood by the walkers entrance. He's rip the Walkman right off of your head because the school handbook said that "no communication devices" are allowed on school grounds and a Walkman has a radio in it. The guy was a huge dick. He actually ran for local office and got completely slaughtered much to the delight of the students.

After he tried to search my backback because he'd seen me with headphones on I pointed out to the main office that this rule meant the teachers all had to rip the stereos out of their cars. The next year they changed it to say that communication devices had to be in your locker and turned off between 8:40 and 3:20.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: robot_god on May 05, 2006, 01:35:20 am
and then, abruptly shave it off. the ladies will be Agog at your "baby soft skin," will feel all over your face, etc. plus they will want to get in maximum cuddles before you grow back a scratchy beard.

This is true, but on the other end of the spectrum, when you shave off the best beard in town, dudes will mock you for looking like a baby.  With a beard, I'm basically untouchable, then without, I get bombarded with Elijah Wood jokes.

I hear that I signed up for I Want a Famous Face tv show:  Elijah Wood, and all they did was shave the beard.  

And some ladies like the beard... but those are always the dangerous ones.
Title: Re: Electric razors
Post by: Doc on May 05, 2006, 04:33:29 am
A beard is still far superior to a mustache, with the impressive exceptions like Paul's most 'taches (see what I did there?) are either really sad or creepy as hell.
But I may or may not have unresolved issues in that arena.

Going way back to the shaving: I'm going to try convince my lady to shave with a man's razor now to test this theory out because she is always cutting herself to hell and I never do (when I first started shaving I used to cut my lips all the time, because they are so full and pouty, but I have become more careful) .